[1.4.x] BDArmory Continued v1.2.2.2 [8/8/2018] + Vessel Mover, Camera Tools, BDMk22, Destruction Effects, Burn Together

DoctorDavinci

26 minutes ago, Next_Star_Industries said:

Is there a way to use the GPS targeting from space for multiple MIRV nuke targets? Or am I just missing how?

That will be a bit tricky at the moment. Even with physics range extensions the GPS system works off of "visual" range. 

You could try flying the missile close to target, deploying MIRV's and then enabling gaurd mode when within atmosphere.

Check your `settings.cfg` and make sure MAX_GUARD_VISUAL_RANGE  is set to something like 50000 

Not sure if this will work right now, I am working on updating a few things for submarine combat that may help, its in QA testing right now.

7 minutes ago, gomker said:

That will be a bit tricky at the moment. Even with physics range extensions the GPS system works off of "visual" range. 

You could try flying the missile close to target, deploying MIRV's and then enabling gaurd mode when within atmosphere.

Check your `settings.cfg` and make sure MAX_GUARD_VISUAL_RANGE  is set to something like 50000 

Not sure if this will work right now, I am working on updating a few things for submarine combat that may help, its in QA testing right now.

Will do and I have figured out how to make the "light flash" effect I mentioned in the NDK post. It's done with code and makes explosions feel a lot more realistic. It's a simple ScreenFade.

Edited by Next_Star_Industries

7 hours ago, Next_Star_Industries said:

Is there a way to use the GPS targeting from space for multiple MIRV nuke targets? Or am I just missing how?

Hi, theoretically possible with modular missiles  PRE and RBDA  , but not really viable for normal BDA for the simple reason that there is no way for a missile to be steered in space. Missile flight relies and aero effects and drag for directional control.  JR did demonstrate some success in using Modular missiles in space but not sure if he's pursued that further, given the progress that has been made elsewhere :wink:

9 hours ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Hi, theoretically possible with modular missiles  PRE and RBDA  , but not really viable for normal BDA for the simple reason that there is no way for a missile to be steered in space. Missile flight relies and aero effects and drag for directional control.  JR did demonstrate some success in using Modular missiles in space but not sure if he's pursued that further, given the progress that has been made elsewhere :wink:

Sorry I wasn't clear about what I was asking, I'm not wanting to fire/use them in space, though later I will, but just need to be able to target the ground, either by manually putting cords. in, as in a config file or be able to select targets somehow. I see there is a default GPS cord. in the GPS part of weapon manager is there a way to add to this? It would be best for an ICBM type weapon to already have the GPS cords. in the weapon managers GPS system before launch. Then you can just fly towards target area and fire warheads after reentry takes place. Is that possible?

Got it now :confused: helps when you actually read all the files included in download. :)

Found what I was looking for.

14 minutes ago, Next_Star_Industries said:

Sorry I wasn't clear about what I was asking, I'm not wanting to fire/use them in space, though later I will, but just need to be able to target the ground, either by manually putting cords. in, as in a config file or be able to select targets somehow. I see there is a default GPS cord. in the GPS part of weapon manager is there a way to add to this? It would be best for an ICBM type weapon to already have the GPS cords. in the weapon managers GPS system before launch. Then you can just fly towards target area and fire warheads after reentry takes place. Is that possible?

I'm... actually pretty sure this has been done with some success and there are videos on YouTube.

With FAR, can the AI handle directionally(e.g., YF-23 V Tail is unstable in yaw) and aerodynamically unstable (CG behind CP)?

Also, is the latest RBDA 1.2.2 Compatible, as it said rolling back to 1.2.2 for realisim mods.

3 minutes ago, dundun92 said:

With FAR, can the AI handle directionally(e.g., YF-23 V Tail is unstable in yaw) and aerodynamically unstable (CG behind CP)?

Also, is the latest RBDA 1.2.2 Compatible, as it said rolling back to 1.2.2 for realisim mods.

Yes, the AI can handle a plane with FAR mod.

To fly it stable you will need to tweak the AI module with realistic AoA, G forces, etc. and to tweak the wings properly. 

Moreover, I recommend using Dynamic Deflection mod when using FAR

1 minute ago, jrodriguez said:

Yes, the AI can handle a plane with FAR mod.

To fly it stable you will need to tweak the AI module with realistic AoA, G forces, etc. and to tweak the wings properly. 

Moreover, I recommend using Dynamic Deflection mod when using FAR

Thanks! Can the plane itself be unstable?

Edited by Guest

I hear 3 RWR noises: a click, a low pitch beep, and the loud high pitched missile beep. What do the first two noises mean?

8 hours ago, dundun92 said:

What do the first two noises mean

Radar Ping, Missile Lock, Missile Launch

10 hours ago, Next_Star_Industries said:

Is there a plan to post an updated version of BDAc to Curse and Space Dock

SpaceDock yes, sometimes we lag on patches a bit :) Only one of the team has access so we sometimes forget to get that done.

12 hours ago, dundun92 said:

Thanks! Can the plane itself be unstable

Only one way to know :) Let it try and let it fly - note you want to tweak the AI auto pilot for control

Spoiler

Notes from Baha on AI Settings

Steer factor is the amount it steers depending on the magnitude of the error.

So say a desired destination A is 10 degrees above the plane, and B is 30 degrees up.

With a low steer factor, it might do a 50% pull to steer to A, and a 100% pull to reach B (then decrease to 50% by the time B is only 10 degrees up).

With a high steer factor, it might do a 100% pull already to get to A.

Pulling hard when its not that far off might mean overshooting because you're building up angular momentum.

That's where damping comes in, as it applies steering to counteract angular momentum.

So you want to tweak and balance both steer factor and damping until you get the results you want.

It's kind of like a spring and damper system, where steer factor is the spring constant.

FYI - Much of the AI flight code was actually written by Ferram (author of FAR) some time ago - so we expect that he took into account people using FAR :)

Edited by gomker

48 minutes ago, gomker said:

FYI - Much of the AI flight code was actually written by Ferram (author of FAR) some time ago - so we expect that he took into account people using FAR :)

Interesting.

So uhh. Wingman AI is broken. It just flies up at full throttle only when it is right next to it does it just slam on the brakes and turn off engine. That is some pretty bad AI/PID's that just only use 100 and 0. I really dont understand the logic in this. Just put one plane in straight line and observed for over an hour. It just runs full speed gets within 50 m and loops around until it breaks off  and tries again (spread was set at many different levels from 200-50 with same exact result). It is just two whiplash engines and would work fine if the AI did not only use 1.00 and 0.00 values. It is not as though it has a hard time controlling the plane indicating wrong values for steering and pitch.  Unless there is some other magical setting that dampens the use of "full throttle" to "slaming on the brakes" I dont see a fix. AI should just get within 500 meters match speed and increase velocity by a small amount and hold it until within desired range of other aircraft in which it would hold formation. Why does it come at the flight lead at over 75 m/s faster than what the flight lead has been holding for over 20 minutes??? Please help me configure if there is a change-able setting for this or if this is a bug. 

15 minutes ago, The Pfaffanater said:

So uhh. Wingman AI is broken

Hi could you retest using the BDAI test aircraft I'm running them now and see no indication of your issue. I have  two aircraft cruising at 1600mtrs 160m/s (ish)  and 69 meter separation and it's been like that for 20 minutes. Also ran check of control and command systems and they seem OK too.

2oBfp1u.png

How is the blastHeat and blastPower calculated for config files? Is there some formula you guys are using? Craft gets destroyed outside of the blastRadius of my nukes. I tried to use the Mark 83 as a guide (35 for blastPower at 1000lbs) that puts blastPower equal to 70000 per kiloton and not sure if this is right? blastHeat I know is a kelvin temp but that seems extremely high considering the heat nukes produce and this could be my problem as well. I have a 50 kiloton yield what should blastHeat and blastPower be? I calculate blastRadius based on the 5psi over pressure of real nuclear blasts since this is the area of the most damage.

16 minutes ago, Next_Star_Industries said:

How is the blastHeat and blastPower calculated for config files? Is there some formula you guys are using? Craft gets destroyed outside of the blastRadius of my nukes. I tried to use the Mark 83 as a guide (35 for blastPower at 1000lbs) that puts blastPower equal to 70000 per kiloton and not sure if this is right? blastHeat I know is a kelvin temp but that seems extremely high considering the heat nukes produce and this could be my problem as well. I have a 50 kiloton yield what should blastHeat and blastPower be? I calculate blastRadius based on the 5psi over pressure of real nuclear blasts since this is the area of the most damage.

This is a. NKD-BDA core error. The bdac team is trying to fix it.

8 minutes ago, dundun92 said:

This is a. NKD-BDA core error. The bdac team is trying to fix it.

I'm not using NKD I have written my own code so it's not a NKD-BDA core error. If that's what is causing the craft to be destroyed outside of blastRadius then it's just a BDA issue and has nothing to do with NKD. My code and Harpwners code are nothing alike.

2 minutes ago, Next_Star_Industries said:

I'm not using NKD I have written my own code so it's not a NKD-BDA core error.

Oh. Then I dont know. Try dropping them from a mach 4+ rocket plane at 20+ km, and see what happens.

7 minutes ago, Next_Star_Industries said:

I'm not using NKD I have written my own code so it's not a NKD-BDA core error. If that's what is causing the craft to be destroyed outside of blastRadius then it's just a BDA issue and has nothing to do with NKD.

Hi, strangely no such effects are present in BDA it is not possible for any of the included devices to behave as you describe, and in my many abuses of BDA i've never been able to replicate this effect , the only time I have ever seen the effect is related to NKD and NKD derived mods. 

Which leads me more in the direction of believing that there is some problem with the NKD's or your  codes interaction with BDA  as there has been for a long time, and was the reason i pulled the 1.22 patch

Edited by SpannerMonkey(smce)

1 minute ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Hi, strangely no such effects are present in BDA it is not possible for any of the included devices to behave as you describe, and in my many abuses of BDA i've never been able to replicate this effect , the only time I have ever seen the effect is related to NKD and NKD derived mods. 

Now that just gave me alot of info. Could it be that because I have a blastRadius in my code that it could be adding this to BDA's blastRadius? This could be my problem and that would also make sense for NKD as well.

8 minutes ago, dundun92 said:

Oh. Then I dont know. Try dropping them from a mach 4+ rocket plane at 20+ km, and see what happens.

:0.0: I tried this (kinda) didn't work out so well.:cool:

22 minutes ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Which leads me more in the direction of believing that there is some problem with the NKD's or your  codes interaction with BDA  as there has been for a long time, and was the reason i pulled the 1.22 patch

See now it's making sense it has to be because of the blastRadius I have in my code not working right with BDA's blastRadius. Thanks for the info it helped more then you know.

12 minutes ago, Next_Star_Industries said:

I have a blastRadius in my code that it could be adding this to BDA's blastRadius?

I'd say that it seemed in my tests that the blast radius was multiplied  or as visual clues would suggest is somehow inverted, I noticed numerous occasions in which a vessel at ground zero was completely unscathed while 20 KM away craft and structures were being destroyed. It's an odd behavior  I know @gomker did attempt to reach out to harpwner in order to find and hopefully resolve the issue, but from what i can see the offer was never taken up.

8 minutes ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

I'd say that it seemed in my tests that the blast radius was multiplied  or as visual clues would suggest is somehow inverted, I noticed numerous occasions in which a vessel at ground zero was completely unscathed while 20 KM away craft and structures were being destroyed. It's an odd behavior  I know @gomker did attempt to reach out to harpwner in order to find and hopefully resolve the issue, but from what i can see the offer was never taken up.

blastRadius being multiplied is exactly what I'm seeing over here as well. I'll accept any help :) and appreciate all advice as I am new to this scene. I'm heading in a different direction with my mod then Harpwner is with his. After what you have said it really has me thinking it's because of the way I'm calling on explosionFX to create the explosion(pemiiter) for the mushroom cloud of nukes.