[1.4.x] BDArmory Continued v1.2.2.2 [8/8/2018] + Vessel Mover, Camera Tools, BDMk22, Destruction Effects, Burn Together

DoctorDavinci

1 hour ago, Tactical said:

Thanks for your time, and thank you for continuing this awesome mod

We appreciate your sentiments

The BDAc team was formed over a year ago to fill Baha's shoes (which are pretty big shoes to fill) and has stuck together through our love of BDAc and everything there is that is Kerbal

There are many new goodies in the works thanks to our code guru's and I hope we will be able to share them with you in the near future

Please stand by :)

Just now, RedDwarfIV said:

Can planes fire fixed weapons behind them? You know, for when they've got an enemy on their tail.

From what I can tell, the pilot AI, when in guns range, will go into a special mode where it makes a focused effort to aim the nose at an enemy. So, I would assume that it will not use fixed guns correctly, unless they're facing forward, and the enemy is within a certain cone.

Also, about the armor problem mentioned earlier (things attached to armor are rotating randomly when the move and rotate tools are used), I've had that same issue when building my tanks. I would have triangles attached to armor panels, and whenever I would use the tools to edit the armor panels, the triangles would get completely screwed up.

BDA's control of the Firespitter FS1TP turboprop is broken. :( The engine works normally until the BDA AI is engaged. It drops the throttle to zero yet the engines are still spinning and making the engine sound. The prop spinners are turning but the blades aren't.

Here's a plane using the engine to demonstrate. https://anonfile.com/B6E02aceba/Mewt_Sparrow.craft

May need Airplane Plus too. I used CKAN to install that and Firespitter, along with BDA, physics range extender, Editor Extensions, MechJeb + integration patch, Vessel Mover, and B9 wings. No other mods.

10 hours ago, Galane said:

BDA's control of the Firespitter FS1TP turboprop is broken. :( The engine works normally until the BDA AI is engaged. It drops the throttle to zero yet the engines are still spinning and making the engine sound. The prop spinners are turning but the blades aren't.

Here's a plane using the engine to demonstrate. https://anonfile.com/B6E02aceba/Mewt_Sparrow.craft

May need Airplane Plus too. I used CKAN to install that and Firespitter, along with BDA, physics range extender, Editor Extensions, MechJeb + integration patch, Vessel Mover, and B9 wings. No other mods.

KSP.log please :)

1 hour ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

A quick look at the relevant code seems to indicate that there's no provision for the pilot AI to be able to use or even detect the FSengine engine module , of course it could be hiding elsewhere but everything seems to add up , enums etc

AFAIK BDA never utilized FS engines with the AI pilot.

2 hours ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

A quick look at the relevant code seems to indicate that there's no provision for the pilot AI to be able to use or even detect the FSengine engine module , of course it could be hiding elsewhere but everything seems to add up , enums etc

1 hour ago, XOC2008 said:

I'm not sure if it did either as the only props that I have used with the AI Pilot is the BADTprops mod which was made specifically for the BADT tournament

1 hour ago, XOC2008 said:

1 minute ago, DoctorDavinci said:

I'm not sure if it did either

I had a vague memory of that from the early days . Having had a look at the parts concerned, I reckon you could probably MM  patch in a stock engine module, of course you'd have to set up the curves to suit,  but certainly not a fiendishly difficult task , I can't really see any benefit to keeping the FSengine module and everything else in the cfg will work quite happily with the existing FS modules (as we know)

1 minute ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

I had a vague memory of that from the early days . Having had a look at the parts concerned, I reckon you could probably MM  patch in a stock engine module, of course you'd have to set up the curves to suit,  but certainly not a fiendishly difficult task , I can't really see any benefit to keeping the FSengine module and everything else in the cfg will work quite happily with the existing FS modules (as we know)

I think some peoples' preference for the FS Engines is that they function on rpms instead of thrust.

3 hours ago, XOC2008 said:

I think some peoples' preference for the FS Engines is that they function on rpms instead of thrust.

I'm just wanting to get the fastest speed out of a twin prop plane so I can pit a swarm of them armed with nothing but a bunch of .50's VS one modern jet armed with missiles and a pair of Vulcans. I tried to find a release/support thread for the current release of Firespitter but one doesn't appear to exist.

For the whole FS engine problem, just hide a jet engine, like the Juno. You can set it at 0.5 thrust and the AI will still use it, but the AI won't use it if it is at 0 thrust.

42 minutes ago, Murican_Jeb said:

For the whole FS engine problem, just hide a jet engine, like the Juno. You can set it at 0.5 thrust and the AI will still use it, but the AI won't use it if it is at 0 thrust.

nah  this is a better idea

1 minute ago, Galane said:

Sounds like what Firespitter needs is a patch to fix those engines

Just retuning props etc to suit and I'll post the patch

mWuTvJc.png

1 hour ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

As I spend 90% of my time moving  in the horizontal , and my ships do not fly , the nav ball resembles a compass instead, and for those times I'm flying in atmos I know which way is up :lol:

I want that navball. Where do I get it?

On 9/17/2017 at 5:42 PM, DoctorDavinci said:

We appreciate your sentiments

The BDAc team was formed over a year ago to fill Baha's shoes (which are pretty big shoes to fill) and has stuck together through our love of BDAc and everything there is that is Kerbal

There are many new goodies in the works thanks to our code guru's and I hope we will be able to share them with you in the near future

Please stand by :)

To give you some history it was abandoned by Baha June or July of 2016  so would be well over a year

On 9/17/2017 at 11:41 AM, TonyDE said:

Hi, i have a quiestion: How do i increase the radar range? When i activate the tws radar it only works up to 20km but not more? Do i need to edit the configuration file or something?

Anyway, great update :)

EDIT: Nevermind. It works now, awesome!:D

There are three settings you would want to use to increase the range in the settings.cfg

MAX_GUARD_VISUAL_RANGE = 40000
    MAX_ACTIVE_RADAR_RANGE = 40000
    MAX_ENGAGEMENT_RANGE = 40000

Be aware if you do increase you may have to increase physics range in PRE as  non loaded vessels will not be detected. 

JR has done more work at extreme distances and we can say it does work for the most part,  we just picked 40KM as a baseline as that is what we "know" works right now.

On 9/17/2017 at 6:47 PM, RedDwarfIV said:

Can planes fire fixed weapons behind them? You know, for when they've got an enemy on their tail.

As was mentioned before the AI will try and turn the plane to orient the weapons to the proper FOV value , i.e. for missile lock. One thing I did on my B52 bomber (with a tail gun) was set the rear gun to only fire on missiles. It does not really work too well as the plane tries to do some crazy maneuvers when targeted. The AI at the moment is really written with dog fighting in mind. 

Edited by gomker

@Galane Here's the patch to allow the Pilot Ai to use the FS  FS1TP Turboprop Engine,   As you want to go quickly i've been generous and they ll pull that  162part 1.5tonne p38 along at 170m/s at sea level. 

@PART[FSturboProp]:NEEDS[Firespitter]:NEEDS[BDArmory] //;NEEDS[aPrayer]// At [ThisPart] Needs [this] Needs [That] or I wont do anything
{
  !MODULE[FSengine]{} // remove stock fs engine module
	MODULE // install new engine module 
	{
		name = ModuleEngines
		thrustVectorTransformName = thrustTransform
		exhaustDamage = False
		ignitionThreshold = 0.1
		minThrust = 0.1
		maxThrust = 105
		heatProduction = 15
		useEngineResponseTime = True
		engineAccelerationSpeed = 0.5
		engineDecelerationSpeed = 0.5
		useVelocityCurve = True
		PROPELLANT
		{
			name = LiquidFuel
			resourceFlowMode = STAGE_PRIORITY_FLOW
			ratio = 1
			DrawGauge = True
		}
		PROPELLANT
		{
			name = IntakeAir
			ignoreForIsp = True
			ratio = 10
		}
		 atmosphereCurve
		 {
			key = 0 17000
		 }
		atmChangeFlow = True
		useVelCurve = True
		useAtmCurve = True
		multiFlow=false
		velCurve
		{
			key = 0 0.75
			key = 0.12 0.885
			key = 0.35 0.94
			key = 0.78 0.12
			key = 0.90 0.035
			key = 1.2 0
		}
		atmCurve
		{
			key = 0 0
			key = 0.3 0.5
			key = 0.6 1
			key = 0.7 1
			key = 0.8 1
			key = 0.9 1
			key = 1 1
		}	
	}
	@MODULE[FSplanePropellerSpinner]
    {
	%rotationSpeed = -150
	%spinUpTime = 7.0
	%rotorDiscSpeed = -150
	%useRotorDiscSwap = 1
	}
}

and if you want one ready to drop in  https://www.dropbox.com/s/dph46dmdoecotc9/FStoBDA_MM.zip?dl=0

Note it's not the best engine for the purpose the sound is all wrong of course, and it has no proper blur, the disc is simply not there so i can't do anything about that  ,  but they work presentably well .

2 hours ago, gomker said:

There are three settings you would want to use to increase the range in the settings.cfg

MAX_GUARD_VISUAL_RANGE = 40000
    MAX_ACTIVE_RADAR_RANGE = 40000
    MAX_ENGAGEMENT_RANGE = 40000

Be aware if you do increase you may have to increase physics range in PRE as  non loaded vessels will not be detected. 

JR has done more work at extreme distances and we can say it does work for the most part,  we just picked 40KM as a baseline as that is what we "know" works right now.

As was mentioned before the AI will try and turn the plane to orient the weapons to the proper FOV value , i.e. for missile lock. One thing I did on my B52 bomber (with a tail gun) was set the rear gun to only fire on missiles. It does not really work too well as the plane tries to do some crazy maneuvers when targeted. The AI at the moment is really written with dog fighting in mind. 

It does handle aerial turrets pretty well. I tested with a Vulcan turret on my Angry Gnat drone and it handled firing off-axis with pretty good precision. I should build a bigger drone with four of those turrets to get 360 degree coverage.