[1.4.x] BDArmory Continued v1.2.2.2 [8/8/2018] + Vessel Mover, Camera Tools, BDMk22, Destruction Effects, Burn Together

DoctorDavinci

On 1/14/2017 at 6:16 PM, DoctorDavinci said:

I seem to have a problem with AI Dogfighting. I set up the AI with guard mode, teams, infinite ammo and Auto Pilot. Everything goes well but my planes wont fire their guns. What seems to be the problem?

Edited by Animorx

1 hour ago, Animorx said:

What you quoted I have never said .... I assume you quoted me and replaced the quote with what I assume is a question, yes?

Next time use the @ symbol before a name to ping someone on the forum :)

Anyways, simple answer is for you to start the game then open the KSPedia (little book like icon ... bottom right of screen) and read the BDAc BDPedia

Tons of info on the operation of BDAc in there (I know .. I made it :wink:)

Edited by DoctorDavinci

2 hours ago, Hojoz said:

So all my craft basically get taken out with one missile...

How do I make it so that doesn't happen?

Countermeasures/avoiding maneuvers seem to do nothing against that

Weird - I have the impression most people consider ecm/decoys overpowered, and usually in dogfight tournaments I see 4 AMRAAM being dodged by a single fighter...

I suppose you are talking about radar guided missiles?
The key to dodge them is to enable ECM (if present) and continously(!) drop chaff (like guard mode / pilotAI does) until the missile is clearly off.
Passive radar guided missiles (like the patriot SAM) can additionally be defeated by breaking line of sight with the launcher's tracking radar. An active missile like the amraam is nearly impossible to defeat by maneuvering alone.

Flares against heat seekers are a tad more effective, and once a heatseeker has locked onto a flare there is no need to drop more.

Hope that helps.

13 hours ago, Hojoz said:

So all my craft basically get taken out with one missile...

How do I make it so that doesn't happen?

Countermeasures/avoiding maneuvers seem to do nothing against that

Same is happening with me.

The rest of the missile are not so bad, but the AMRAAM is waaaay overpowered. Even when flying straight towards the missile, maneuvering, jamming AND dropping flares/chaff by the bucket-load, I still get hit every single time. And not at just 3km neither, this is happening at sometimes 5 - 8km away too.

The chaff has literally no effect at all.

6 hours ago, Engineering101 said:

Sounds like we need to rebalance a bit - weird thing is, in other videos I constantly see the first (and mostly also second) amraam being dodged easily, mmhh...

10 hours ago, Engineering101 said:

I'v found that the chaff does have an effect although I will admit it could use a bit of tweaking ... a slight nerf to the amraams effectiveness should mitigate your experience with them

On that note, here's a big bird avoiding 5 of 6 amraams (video taken using the latest BDAc dev)

9 hours ago, DoctorDavinci said:

I'v found that the chaff does have an effect although I will admit it could use a bit of tweaking ... a slight nerf to the amraams effectiveness should mitigate your experience with them

On that note, here's a big bird avoiding 5 of 6 amraams (video taken using the latest BDAc dev)

Hey, I fixed my issue. I simply had an old version of BDArmory where the chaff literally had no effect at all (v0.3.0.0). After doing multiple tests and experiments, it might have been a bug, or simply something wrong with my mod. Either way, the chaff had no effect at all.

However, after I updated to 1.0.0, the AMRAAM/Chaff works exactly as expected now (you can actually dodge them and with relative ease too).

So don't bother nerfing, it's actually good (or do, its all up to you :D)

Thanks anyway!

Edited by Engineering101
More info and adjustments

On 14-12-2017 at 7:11 PM, TheDog said:

Weird - I have the impression most people consider ecm/decoys overpowered, and usually in dogfight tournaments I see 4 AMRAAM being dodged by a single fighter...

I suppose you are talking about radar guided missiles?
The key to dodge them is to enable ECM (if present) and continously(!) drop chaff (like guard mode / pilotAI does) until the missile is clearly off.
Passive radar guided missiles (like the patriot SAM) can additionally be defeated by breaking line of sight with the launcher's tracking radar. An active missile like the amraam is nearly impossible to defeat by maneuvering alone.

Flares against heat seekers are a tad more effective, and once a heatseeker has locked onto a flare there is no need to drop more.

Hope that helps.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Never bothered with ECM jammers because in previous versions all the missiles missed by a long shot because of maneuvers and chaff, making them only usefull for manipulating the target in places that make them easier to hit with guns.

That's how I liked it, but I get that my vision for BDAc isn't everyone's vision.

It may also not help that most of my craft can only be locked onto from 3 km away, Despite that, my best craft of previous versions has a lock on range of 8 km and still got hit despite the AI's best efforts.

Edited by Hojoz
Typo

1 hour ago, [INDO]dimas_1502 said:

so i was working on BDAc Air Superiority Fighter challenge, when i try to fight other planes, the hidden vulcan 20mm round doesn't seem to give any damage to my plane
anyone?
pic
B6kh0JO.png

Can you open an issue here. https://github.com/PapaJoesSoup/BDArmory/issues

Please attach your KSP.log file after running that scenario. Thanks

41 minutes ago, DiscoveryPlanet said:

why my AI so stupid when in dogfight battle, i mean they cannot avoid missile , they just fire radar missile, even if they have heat missile or gps missile they wouldnt use it, and they are not smart enough to pointing target, they just moving away like dont know each other, what is wrong?

Please consult the in game BDPedia (KSPedia) for detailed instructions on how to use BDAc :)

Hey, so I'm having a weird issue right now. I'm fairly certain I've set up my aircraft correctly for combat however, the AI just won't fire a missile against a fighter jet. For some reason it is willing to fire against a bomber that is at close range however, when I attempt to set it up for competition to see how it performs it refuses to use any weapon. I have a mix of AIM-120s, AIM-9s and a Vulcan on the aircraft and it does have a radar on it as well. It locks onto the enemy aircraft with the radar at 8 km and selects the AIM-120s but then does not fire. It doesn't switch weapons at close range either and, though it flies properly, it refuses to fire. The aircraft that I'm testing it with will fire its AIM-9s at it and another aircraft which I put together to check for issues with the AIM-120s is able to perform perfectly with them. The weapons all fire when I fly it manually without guard mode so I'm at a loss about what is causing this. Anybody have a clue?

Edit: I've already tried removing and then adding back both the AI and the Weapon Manager, first separately then at once, that doesn't work. I've fiddled with the parameters for guard mode and nothing. I've also checked the missiles and verified they were not the issue. I removed them and them placed them back on multiple times.

Edit: It'll fire at the bomber if it takes off right after it, not when I put it on competition mode... this is getting weirder and weirder.

Edited by Andrewwang66

3 hours ago, Andrewwang66 said:

Hey, so I'm having a weird issue right now. I'm fairly certain I've set up my aircraft correctly for combat however, the AI just won't fire a missile against a fighter jet. For some reason it is willing to fire against a bomber that is at close range however, when I attempt to set it up for competition to see how it performs it refuses to use any weapon. I have a mix of AIM-120s, AIM-9s and a Vulcan on the aircraft and it does have a radar on it as well. It locks onto the enemy aircraft with the radar at 8 km and selects the AIM-120s but then does not fire. It doesn't switch weapons at close range either and, though it flies properly, it refuses to fire. The aircraft that I'm testing it with will fire its AIM-9s at it and another aircraft which I put together to check for issues with the AIM-120s is able to perform perfectly with them. The weapons all fire when I fly it manually without guard mode so I'm at a loss about what is causing this. Anybody have a clue?

Edit: I've already tried removing and then adding back both the AI and the Weapon Manager, first separately then at once, that doesn't work. I've fiddled with the parameters for guard mode and nothing. I've also checked the missiles and verified they were not the issue. I removed them and them placed them back on multiple times.

Edit: It'll fire at the bomber if it takes off right after it, not when I put it on competition mode... this is getting weirder and weirder.

Unfortunately a description of what is happening, even though it gives a good idea of what you are experiencing, doesn't do very much in regards to helping us figure out what is going on

There is a section in the OP of this thread where it explains what is required for us to be able to help you ... For convenience I am quoting it here:

•  

<SNIP>
And in regards to support, KSP.log please  (as well as BDAc version, KSP version and modlist) ... I also refer you to the following thread where it describes in detail everything else that is required for us to help you:

Best Regards,
The BDAc Team

@Papa_Joe
@jrodriguez
@SpannerMonkey(smce)
@gomker
@TheDog
@DoctorDavinci

Alright, well I'm running B.D. Armory Continued version 1.0.0 on KSP version 1.3.1. I'm currently running with: WW2 Warships (Outdated but still works for KSP 1.3.1, no parts used from that so I doubt that's the issue), Air Park, Airplane Plus with the Tweakscale patch and the Raster Prop Monitor patch, Atmosphere Autopilot, Auto-Asparagus, Aviation Cockpits, Aviator Arsenal (Outdated but still works, aircraft does not use said mod but I can confirm AI can use it), B9 Procedural Wings, Better Time Warp, Bluedog Design Bureau, BoomsticksRev 3 (Again, outdated, still works, no parts used on craft), Burn Together, CAL, Coffee Industries (Adds in two cockpits, seriously outdated but still works, am not using it for this craft though), Community Category Kit, Community Resource Pack, Contract Configurator, Contract Reward Modifier, Davon Supply, DCK, Destruction Effects, DMagic Science Animate, Dynamic Battery Storage, Editor Extensions Redux, Extraplanetary Launchpads, Firespitter (The complete package), Flexo Docking, FMRS, Fox Defense Contracts, FS Hangar Extender, Hangar Grid, Improved Chase Camera, JSI (Raster Prop Monitor), Kerbal Attachment System, Kerbal Aircraft Expansion, Kerbal Foundries, Kerbal Joint Reinforcement, Kerbal Konstructs (Kerbinside Included), Kerbal Launch Vehicles, Hyperedit, Feline Utility Rover, Kethane, GN Drive, Kerbal Inventory System, KSP Wheel, Infernal Robotics, Maritime Pack, MechJeb 2, Mouse Aim Flight, MPUtils, Naval Artillery Systems, Docking Port Alignment Indicator, Near Future Electrical (Near Future Props as well),  Not Enough Dakka, Final Frontier, North Kerbin Weaponry, Old School Turrets, P.E.W., Physics Range Extender, Planetary Base Systems, Procedural Parts, Quantum Struts Continued, RCS Build Aid, ReCoupler, Recovery Controller Plugin, Retractable Lifting Surface Plugin, Ship Effects Continued, Simple Logistics, Star Wars Mod by Skunkworks, Spanner Monkey's Mods (AFV, Armory, Marine, Stryker, and Industries), Speed Unit Changer, Station Parts Expansion, SXT, Trajectories, Space Age, Kerbal Alarm Clock, TweakScale, Vanguard Technologies Parachutes, Vessel Mover and Waypoint Manager. I know, it's a lot of mods and it probably doesn't help...

Here's the craft file: https://kerbalx.com/Andrewwang66/SMF-15-Production-SAS-FJS

Here's the KSP.log file: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1TpCrTObT6Ejoyf4j3iTfSoWcEWI4s6Yd

Again, method to reproduce this is just to set up a competition between this jet and another jet and just watch as it fails to fire missiles or weapons at the other jet.

5 minutes ago, Andrewwang66 said:

Alright, well I'm running B.D. Armory Continued version 1.0.0 on KSP version 1.3.1. I'm currently running with: WW2 Warships (Outdated but still works for KSP 1.3.1, no parts used from that so I doubt that's the issue), Air Park, Airplane Plus with the Tweakscale patch and the Raster Prop Monitor patch, Atmosphere Autopilot, Auto-Asparagus, Aviation Cockpits, Aviator Arsenal (Outdated but still works, aircraft does not use said mod but I can confirm AI can use it), B9 Procedural Wings, Better Time Warp, Bluedog Design Bureau, BoomsticksRev 3 (Again, outdated, still works, no parts used on craft), Burn Together, CAL, Coffee Industries (Adds in two cockpits, seriously outdated but still works, am not using it for this craft though), Community Category Kit, Community Resource Pack, Contract Configurator, Contract Reward Modifier, Davon Supply, DCK, Destruction Effects, DMagic Science Animate, Dynamic Battery Storage, Editor Extensions Redux, Extraplanetary Launchpads, Firespitter (The complete package), Flexo Docking, FMRS, Fox Defense Contracts, FS Hangar Extender, Hangar Grid, Improved Chase Camera, JSI (Raster Prop Monitor), Kerbal Attachment System, Kerbal Aircraft Expansion, Kerbal Foundries, Kerbal Joint Reinforcement, Kerbal Konstructs (Kerbinside Included), Kerbal Launch Vehicles, Hyperedit, Feline Utility Rover, Kethane, GN Drive, Kerbal Inventory System, KSP Wheel, Infernal Robotics, Maritime Pack, MechJeb 2, Mouse Aim Flight, MPUtils, Naval Artillery Systems, Docking Port Alignment Indicator, Near Future Electrical (Near Future Props as well),  Not Enough Dakka, Final Frontier, North Kerbin Weaponry, Old School Turrets, P.E.W., Physics Range Extender, Planetary Base Systems, Procedural Parts, Quantum Struts Continued, RCS Build Aid, ReCoupler, Recovery Controller Plugin, Retractable Lifting Surface Plugin, Ship Effects Continued, Simple Logistics, Star Wars Mod by Skunkworks, Spanner Monkey's Mods (AFV, Armory, Marine, Stryker, and Industries), Speed Unit Changer, Station Parts Expansion, SXT, Trajectories, Space Age, Kerbal Alarm Clock, TweakScale, Vanguard Technologies Parachutes, Vessel Mover and Waypoint Manager. I know, it's a lot of mods and it probably doesn't help...

Here's the craft file: https://kerbalx.com/Andrewwang66/SMF-15-Production-SAS-FJS

Here's the KSP.log file: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1TpCrTObT6Ejoyf4j3iTfSoWcEWI4s6Yd

Again, method to reproduce this is just to set up a competition between this jet and another jet and just watch as it fails to fire missiles or weapons at the other jet.

In the /BDArmory/Craft directory you will find some baseline test craft. Can you load "BDA - TestPlaneAI - AA"  and have them fight and see if you are having the same issue

7 minutes ago, gomker said:

Can you record the flight with "Debug Labels" on please (if you didn't before) - it will give us the info I need to check 

Video is uploading, the internet is pretty slow but I'll post as soon as I can, was switching between the two crafts to provide debug info on both and also turned off and turned on guard mode mid-flight after failure to fire any ordnance to demonstrate how no matter what it refuses to fire.

1 minute ago, Andrewwang66 said:

Video is uploading, the internet is pretty slow but I'll post as soon as I can, was switching between the two crafts to provide debug info on both and also turned off and turned on guard mode mid-flight after failure to fire any ordnance to demonstrate how no matter what it refuses to fire.

I don't need a video , I need a log with Debug labels turned on, there will be information on why the AI fired or not fired

3 minutes ago, gomker said:

I don't need a video , I need a log with Debug labels turned on, there will be information on why the AI fired or not fired

Erm, wait what log? I thought you meant the BD Armory Debug labels... please explain.

Edit: I got what log you meant now, KSP.log, I'll upload it now

Edit: Internet being really annoying, the gist of what is happening is:

[LOG 21:07:30.481] [BDArmory] : SMF-15 Production (SAS) (FJS) - Selected weapon AIM-120
[LOG 21:07:30.482] [BDArmory]: SMF-15 Production (SAS) (FJS) is engaging an airborne target with bahaAim120 (BDArmory.Parts.MissileLauncher)
[LOG 21:07:30.482] [BDArmory]:SMF-15 Production (SAS) (FJS) launchAuth=True, pilotAut=True, missilesAway/Max=0/1
[LOG 21:07:30.483] [BDArmory]: Trying to radar lock target with (AN/APG-63V2 Radome)
[LOG 21:07:30.484] [BDArmory]: Rendering radar snapshot of vessel probeStackSmall (BDA - TestPlaneAI - AA), type Ship
[LOG 21:07:30.484] [BDArmory]: - bounds: Center: (1851.5, 207.4, 2288.6), Extents: (3.0, 6.1, 6.3)
[LOG 21:07:30.495] [BDArmory]: - Vessel rcs is (frontal/lateral/ventral), (frontal45/lateral45/ventral45): 1.080637/7.746564/31.53429, 1.048039/8.255392/1.895589 = rcsTotal: 13.62344
[LOG 21:07:30.496] [BDArmory]: - Acquired lock on target (probeStackSmall (BDA - TestPlaneAI - AA))
[ERR 21:07:30.497] Module MissileFire threw during OnFixedUpdate: System.InvalidCastException: Cannot cast from source type to destination type.
  at BDArmory.MissileFire.SetCargoBays () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at BDArmory.MissileFire.GuardMode () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at BDArmory.MissileFire.OnFixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Part.ModulesOnFixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

Currently uploading rest of log.

Edited by Andrewwang66

Just now, Andrewwang66 said:

Erm, wait what log? I thought you meant the BD Armory Debug labels... please explain.

In the same window where you turn on the Competition mode there is a check box for "debug labels" you will see a bunch of info on screen, it also writes much in the KSP.log on what is happening behind the scenes 

24 minutes ago, gomker said:

In the same window where you turn on the Competition mode there is a check box for "debug labels" you will see a bunch of info on screen, it also writes much in the KSP.log on what is happening behind the scenes 

Ok internet is really slow, I'll throw in the log from when the fight starts:

[LOG 21:26:38.328] [AtmosphereAutopilot]: vessel switch to SMF-15 Production (SAS) (FJS)
[LOG 21:26:38.329] FF: EventObserver:: OnVesselChange SMF-15 Production (SAS) (FJS)
[LOG 21:26:38.330] Trajectories: Initializing cache
[LOG 21:26:38.331] 12/18/2017 9:26:38 PM,KerbalAlarmClock,Active Vessel changed - resetting inqueue flag
[LOG 21:26:38.346] 12/18/2017 9:26:38 PM,KerbalAlarmClock,Removing DrawGUI from PostRender Queue
[LOG 21:26:38.349] [Dynamic Battery Storage]: Summary: 
 vessel Mark2Cockpit (loaded state True)
- 0 stock power handlers
[LOG 21:26:38.458] 12/18/2017 9:26:38 PM,KerbalAlarmClock,Vessel Change from 'BDA - TestPlaneAI - AA' to 'SMF-15 Production (SAS) (FJS)'
[LOG 21:26:38.465] 12/18/2017 9:26:38 PM,KerbalAlarmClock,Adding DrawGUI to PostRender Queue
[LOG 21:26:38.466] 12/18/2017 9:26:38 PM,KerbalAlarmClock,Skipping version check
[LOG 21:26:43.061] [BDArmory]: Unlinking VRD: SMF-15 Production (SAS) (FJS)
[LOG 21:26:43.178] [BDArmory]: Rendering radar snapshot of vessel Mark2Cockpit, type Plane
[LOG 21:26:43.179] [BDArmory]: - bounds: Center: (-1369.4, -5.8, 177.0), Extents: (5.2, 4.5, 4.6)
[LOG 21:26:43.190] [BDArmory]: - Vessel rcs is (frontal/lateral/ventral), (frontal45/lateral45/ventral45): 0.6/5.84706/22.43701, 0.5269608/7.48701/1.754167 = rcsTotal: 10.17467
[LOG 21:26:44.092] [BDArmory]=== Loading settings.cfg ===
[LOG 21:26:45.041] [BDArmory] == Saving settings.cfg ==    
[LOG 21:26:50.303] [SpaceAge] OnSituationChanged(<'SMF-15 Production (SAS) (FJS)', 'FLYING'>)
[LOG 21:26:50.304] FF: situation change for active vessel from LANDED to FLYING
[LOG 21:26:51.745] BDA - TestPlaneAI - AA was commanded to fly to.
[LOG 21:26:51.745] SMF-15 Production (SAS) (FJS) was commanded to fly to.
[LOG 21:26:51.748] [SpaceAge] OnSituationChanged(<'BDA - TestPlaneAI - AA', 'FLYING'>)
[LOG 21:26:54.325] Trajectories: Initializing cache
[LOG 21:26:54.719] Trajectories: Initializing cache
[LOG 21:26:55.098] Trajectories: Initializing cache
[LOG 21:26:55.475] Trajectories: Initializing cache
[LOG 21:26:55.783] Trajectories: Initializing cache
[LOG 21:26:55.996] Trajectories: Initializing cache
[LOG 21:26:56.164] Trajectories: Initializing cache
[LOG 21:26:56.473] Trajectories: Initializing cache
[LOG 21:26:56.717] Trajectories: Initializing cache
[LOG 21:26:56.935] Trajectories: Initializing cache
[LOG 21:26:57.120] Trajectories: Initializing cache
[LOG 21:26:57.319] Trajectories: Initializing cache
[LOG 21:27:08.434] [BDArmory]: AI Pilot reached command destination.
[LOG 21:27:09.213] [BDArmory]: AI Pilot reached command destination.
[LOG 21:27:24.664] [BDArmory] : SMF-15 Production (SAS) (FJS) - Selected weapon AIM-120
[LOG 21:27:24.665] [BDArmory]: SMF-15 Production (SAS) (FJS) is engaging an airborne target with bahaAim120 (BDArmory.Parts.MissileLauncher)
[LOG 21:27:24.665] [BDArmory]:SMF-15 Production (SAS) (FJS) launchAuth=True, pilotAut=True, missilesAway/Max=0/1
[ERR 21:27:24.666] Module MissileFire threw during OnFixedUpdate: System.InvalidCastException: Cannot cast from source type to destination type.
  at BDArmory.MissileFire.SetCargoBays () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at BDArmory.MissileFire.GuardMode () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at BDArmory.MissileFire.OnFixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Part.ModulesOnFixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

[LOG 21:27:24.668] [BDArmory] : BDA - TestPlaneAI - AA - No weapon selected.
[LOG 21:27:24.669] [BDArmory] : BDA - TestPlaneAI - AA - No weapon selected.
[LOG 21:27:24.670] [BDArmory] : BDA - TestPlaneAI - AA - No weapon selected.
[LOG 21:27:24.670] [BDArmory]: BDA - TestPlaneAI - AA is disengaging - no valid weapons - no valid targets
[LOG 21:27:26.147] FF: ribbon G-Force V Ribbon awarded to Joanda Kerman at 1228378.68525304 (Year 1, Day 57  05:12:58)
[LOG 21:27:27.680] [BDArmory] : SMF-15 Production (SAS) (FJS) - Selected weapon AIM-120

Let me know if you need more from the above.

Edited by Andrewwang66