[1.4.x] BDArmory Continued v1.2.2.2 [8/8/2018] + Vessel Mover, Camera Tools, BDMk22, Destruction Effects, Burn Together

DoctorDavinci

i have an idea
parts with missile-unguided module (like unguided bombs and rockets) should have a really high impact tolerance, and a tweakable timed fuze, so the part explodes upon the time set on it after impact with ground/other vessel

15 hours ago, [INDO]dimas_1502 said:

i have an idea
parts with missile-unguided module (like unguided bombs and rockets) should have a really high impact tolerance, and a tweakable timed fuze, so the part explodes upon the time set on it after impact with ground/other vessel

That is a very interesting Idea.  It sounds like we may have most of the pieces of that kind of a capability floating around in the code.  I suggest you add a Git issue with your suggestion as an enhancement.  We would obviously not be able to penetrate a world body, but it could be possible with structures that have internals.  Ships and fortress buildings placed on the terrain come to mind.  note that unpredictable results (bouncing) will occur if the weapon does not penetrate.  But that is the nature of munitions :P 

Edited by Papa_Joe

On 1/14/2017 at 6:16 PM, DoctorDavinci said:

In regards to CKAN ... It is our policy not to provide support for CKAN as we have no control over the process beyond listing when deploying to SpaceDock. If you are having issues with CKAN we request that you take it up with CKAN

@Billybob Kerman

This is on the opening post.

5 hours ago, TheKurgan said:

@Billybob Kerman

This is on the opening post.

As a follow on to @TheKurgan's response We use KSP-AVC version files for notification of a version change.  It is my understanding that CKAN is version file aware in their sweep bot, so it should be picked up within 24 hours or so.

Edited by Papa_Joe

I have issues with the BDAc RCS tab in release 1.2.1, the tab doesn't display the correct lock-on range value. This bugs me a lot because my fighter jet series is based on craft being under a certain lock-on range. Since the rules have already been made, I can't go and download the latest BDAc to fix this, so are there any workarounds that are known to exist here? I'm using it on craft made with stock parts + BDAc, although I also have Airplanes+ installed.

3 hours ago, Hojoz said:

I have issues with the BDAc RCS tab in release 1.2.1, the tab doesn't display the correct lock-on range value. This bugs me a lot because my fighter jet series is based on craft being under a certain lock-on range. Since the rules have already been made, I can't go and download the latest BDAc to fix this, so are there any workarounds that are known to exist here? I'm using it on craft made with stock parts + BDAc, although I also have Airplanes+ installed.

As a rule we do not support versions of BDAc earlier than the current version.  However I don't know that any changes have been made to this part of the code since 1.2.1. 

So, In the config file for the radar you are using to test against, there should be a value for "radarLockTrackCurve" (a series of numbers) contained in the ModuleRadar module. This float curve is used to shape the radar's capabilities.  if this field does not exist or is empty, that may be your issue.

You can also compare that config against later version of BDAc.  if they are different, I suggest using the config from the later version of BDAc.

Finally, are you using the Mk22 Lightning cockpit?  If not, then this will impact the radar cross section.  I would suggest trying to add the ModuleECMJammer module that is contained in the Mk22 part to your Cockpit part config if that is the case.

Edited by Papa_Joe

3 hours ago, Hojoz said:

the tab doesn't display the correct lock-on range value

Hi can you show a pic of what you are seeing and  your craft.  I've just run through the collection of radar and stock cockpits  and  the displayed  results of detection and lock distances are what I'd expect from the BDA radar, and most others, and change as parts are added to the craft .    Be aware that everything will be detected on most radar below 5KM  although detection does not equate to a lock. .  As mentioned by PJ there have been no recent changes to radar RCS or the curves in the BDA radomes.

Edited by SpannerMonkey(smce)

2 hours ago, StumpySequoia said:

I appear to be having issues with trying to use the autopilot. When I activate it,  the AI cuts the throttle and lowers altitude to about 200m, slowly increasing AOA until stall and crash.

Any guides for how to set it up?

Please consult the ingame BDPedia (KSPedia ... blue book icon, lower right hand of the screen) for detailed instructions on the operation of BDAc :wink:

I read through everything I could find on the AI pilot and none of it seemed to solve my issue. The idle speed is set to 180 (Since there is no threat), and the min alt is set to 1000m with 2225m Default alt. 

Still the AI cuts the throttle and dives to 200m to then level out and keep pitching up until eventual stall

@StumpySequoia My suggestion is to check here: Kerbal Space Program\GameData\BDArmory\craft

There is a craft called BDA - Test Plane - AA.craft or BDA - Test Plane - AG.craft, copy one or both of those to your -  Kerbal Space Program\saves\ {whatever your save name is} \Ships\SPH 

folder and load it up. 

Try it out, and see if it exhibits the same behavior.

If it does, then you may need to reinstall BDAc, making sure to delete the Kerbal Space Program\PartDatabase.cfg file and the Kerbal Space Program\GameData\ModuleManager.ConfigCache file.

If you still have the problem, try starting a new save file and test with that.

GL

Also, (this may sound silly) but before you launch the craft that is giving you problems, check to make sure that the root part is the command pod or drone core.... make sure it is facing the right direction, and you could even right click it and choose control from here before you take off.

Edited by TheKurgan

8 hours ago, Box of Stardust said:

'Pitch Ki'

Pitch KI is the pitch incidence damper. for all normal craft it should be left at default, and for competition craft it should be set at zero.  What it does is  control the overshoot of position, for example launch  any stock craft with a PAI and leave it all on default. Now watch from a side on view, you will probably notice that the craft is constantly altering pitch , by a tiny amount, this means there is not enough damping on the pitch axis. Now slide the Pitch KI slider toward zero, you will notice that the constant  pitch adjustment stops.

10 hours ago, StumpySequoia said:

having issues with modded engines as opposed to the vanilla jets

The pilot AI should work happily with any engine that uses either Module Engines, or ModuleEnginesFX.  The only engines i know of to cause trouble are firespitter prop engines .  I made a conversion patch  to enable the AI to use those engines , and linked it here a good while ago now, so it may be worth searching the thread for prop engine related posts

2 hours ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Pitch KI is the pitch incidence damper. for all normal craft it should be left at default, and for competition craft it should be set at zero.  What it does is  control the overshoot of position, for example launch  any stock craft with a PAI and leave it all on default. Now watch from a side on view, you will probably notice that the craft is constantly altering pitch , by a tiny amount, this means there is not enough damping on the pitch axis. Now slide the Pitch KI slider toward zero, you will notice that the constant  pitch adjustment stops.

The pilot AI should work happily with any engine that uses either Module Engines, or ModuleEnginesFX.  The only engines i know of to cause trouble are firespitter prop engines .  I made a conversion patch  to enable the AI to use those engines , and linked it here a good while ago now, so it may be worth searching the thread for prop engine related posts

Ah, that should help my maneuvering issues a little bit lol

On 6/12/2018 at 8:04 PM, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Hi can you show a pic of what you are seeing and  your craft.  I've just run through the collection of radar and stock cockpits  and  the displayed  results of detection and lock distances are what I'd expect from the BDA radar, and most others, and change as parts are added to the craft .    Be aware that everything will be detected on most radar below 5KM  although detection does not equate to a lock. .  As mentioned by PJ there have been no recent changes to radar RCS or the curves in the BDA radomes.

Here's the Ce Asari, which is lying about it's lock on because it's actually 5/6km and it says 8km

(Craft file)

http://www.mediafire.com/file/t6j26tj1958m81r/Ce+Asari+MkVI+C.craft

Pic:

https://imgur.com/gallery/tOKYhFe

@Hojoz

I am no expert on this, but from experience, here is what I gather from the pic, and what I have seen in game:

1. the max range this craft could possibly be detected at is 10km (Key = 10     5) 5 being less than the base cross section of your craft.

2. max range a lock could possibly be made (but highly unlikely) is 8km according to the analysis.

3. lock/track is not guaranteed at 8km... it's the absolute max

4. Below is the  radarDetectionCurve and radarLockTrackCurve of the radar you are using:

radarDetectionCurve
key = 0.0    0
key = 5    0
key = 10    5
key = 20 20
key = 30 30

radarLockTrackCurve
key = 0.0    0
key = 5    5
key = 10    7
key = 20 25
key = 30 35

As you can see, your base rcs cross section is just over 6... so if you extrapolate from the radarLockTrackCurve (key = 7.5     6) it could be locked/tracked at 7.5km, the analysis probably rounds up to 8.

STILL lock is very unlikely at 7.5... again it is the MAX... That is why you are seeing locks happen at 6km.

I think :P

Someone shoot me down if I'm way out to lunch lol.

Edited by TheKurgan

I also just found out that the orientation of the craft indeed has an effect... so if you are travelling towards or away from the radar, presenting minimal cross section, then the radar detection and lock range are dramatically decreased. The rcs analysis is done as an average.

56 minutes ago, TheKurgan said:

@Hojoz

I am no expert on this, but from experience, here is what I gather from the pic, and what I have seen in game:

1. the max range this craft could possibly be detected at is 10km (Key = 10     5) 5 being less than the base cross section of your craft.

2. max range a lock could possibly be made (but highly unlikely) is 8km according to the analysis.

3. lock/track is not guaranteed at 8km... it's the absolute max

4. Below is the  radarDetectionCurve and radarLockTrackCurve of the radar you are using:

radarDetectionCurve
key = 0.0    0
key = 5    0
key = 10    5
key = 20 20
key = 30 30

radarLockTrackCurve
key = 0.0    0
key = 5    5
key = 10    7
key = 20 25
key = 30 35

As you can see, your base rcs cross section is just over 6... so if you extrapolate from the radarLockTrackCurve (key = 7.5     6) it could be locked/tracked at 7.5km, the analysis probably rounds up to 8.

STILL lock is very unlikely at 7.5... again it is the MAX... That is why you are seeing locks happen at 6km.

I think :P

Someone shoot me down if I'm way out to lunch lol.

38 minutes ago, TheKurgan said:

I also just found out that the orientation of the craft indeed has an effect... so if you are travelling towards or away from the radar, presenting minimal cross section, then the radar detection and lock range are dramatically decreased. The rcs analysis is done as an average.

Nice one, doesn't explain the issue that I'having with a user submitted craft though.

He says it's a 5km lock on, I see a 7km lock on.

Explain that.

Put a decoupler on the mothership.
Put another decoupler on that decoupler.
Put a modular missile guidance on the first decoupler.
Put your parasite craft on the second decoupler.
Add to action group 1:
AI pilot - activate
Weapon manager  - guard mode on
engine - activate
probe core/cockpit - control from here
second decoupler - decouple.
Set your modular missile guidance settings to:
GPS guidance mode so it doesn't try to get a heat lock
increase the max range to whenever you want the drones to 
launch
I recommend having at least half a second of drop time.

This is a guide on how to make a drone craft in BDAc 1.0.0.0, can't find the post but I saved it in a text editor

Tried it out today in 1.2.1, it constantly complains about the intake air being deprived. IDK if this is a KSP issue with decouplers or a BDAc issue with either the missile guidance part or the fact that there are multiple AI's and Weapon Managers on the same craft before seperation. I just want a answer on that

20 minutes ago, Hojoz said:

Put a decoupler on the mothership.
Put another decoupler on that decoupler.
Put a modular missile guidance on the first decoupler.
Put your parasite craft on the second decoupler.
Add to action group 1:
AI pilot - activate
Weapon manager  - guard mode on
engine - activate
probe core/cockpit - control from here
second decoupler - decouple.
Set your modular missile guidance settings to:
GPS guidance mode so it doesn't try to get a heat lock
increase the max range to whenever you want the drones to 
launch
I recommend having at least half a second of drop time.

This is a guide on how to make a drone craft in BDAc 1.0.0.0, can't find the post but I saved it in a text editor

Tried it out today in 1.2.1, it constantly complains about the intake air being deprived. IDK if this is a KSP issue with decouplers or a BDAc issue with either the missile guidance part or the fact that there are multiple AI's and Weapon Managers on the same craft before seperation. I just want a answer on that

lol, smart guy. I never imagine that someone would be using modular missiles to deploy drone vessels.

To be honest I'm surprise that this was working before, and I think no one inside BDAc team have done any specific development to make that happen (at least I didn't have that scenario in mind during the development of the modular missiles logic)

1 hour ago, Hojoz said:

Nice one, doesn't explain the issue that I'having with a user submitted craft though.

He says it's a 5km lock on, I see a 7km lock on.

Explain that.

So either the user in question is misleading you or the craft has been modifed at some point between the user sending it to you and you receiving it ... there is no other possible answer except the situation where the craft in question was built in a previous BDAc version and carried forward into a later BDAc version which, if this is the case, the user didn't follow the directions that I personally have spread across this forum and posted in bold type under the header picture of the OP of this thread

1 hour ago, Hojoz said:

multiple AI's and Weapon Managers on the same craft before seperation. I just want a answer on that

Well that's a well known issue there, has been that way since Baha created BD Armory

Solution is to not place multiple AI Pilots and weapon managers on a single craft as it often will send the code into a hissy fit .... This is mentioned in the BD Pedia and has been mentioned by myself and other BDAc team members many times over the past 2 years

AI Pilot bug reporting! Works fine with the stock AI test aircraft, entirely broken on the biplane I tested, as you can see in the video. Plus there's the jitter from PRE, which, I don't think can be fixed, but it's annoying nonetheless.

Here's the link to the example video.

Edited by DirtyVenomSteam
Yyyep, I was right, my attempt at embeding didn't work.

2 hours ago, DirtyVenomSteam said:

AI Pilot bug reporting! Works fine with the stock AI test aircraft, entirely broken on the biplane I tested, as you can see in the video. Plus there's the jitter from PRE, which, I don't think can be fixed, but it's annoying nonetheless.

Here's the link to the example video.

Not a stock engine is the issue you're having ... I assume you're using a Firespitter engine which are not properly set up to be controlled by BDAc