[1.4.x] BDArmory Continued v1.2.2.2 [8/8/2018] + Vessel Mover, Camera Tools, BDMk22, Destruction Effects, Burn Together

DoctorDavinci

2 hours ago, DoctorDavinci said:

I assume you're using a Firespitter engine which are not properly set up to be controlled by BDAc

Oh well. I'll just modify some Airplanes+ Engines to be a little bit stronger so my biplane'll actually fly. At least I know that Firespitter engines make AI Autopilot kind of spazz out and just go braindead. Thanks.

2 hours ago, DoctorDavinci said:

Not a stock engine is the issue you're having ... I assume you're using a Firespitter engine which are not properly set up to be controlled by BDAc

This problem interests me. Could you please link me to some material that would depicts what firespitter should do to work on BDAc and Autopilot?

2 hours ago, Lisias said:

This problem interests me. Could you please link me to some material that would depicts what firespitter should do to work on BDAc and Autopilot?

Firespitter propeller engines use 'physical' blades interacting with the 'air'. With BDAc the engines will start when you hit the spacebar but when you engage the AI the engine shuts down. Someone tried a module manager hack to patch a working engine thrust module into them but while it worked, the blades produced a huge amount of drag and didn't spin except by windmilling.

Other propeller engine mods do thrust quite differently. The blades on the prop engines are only there for looks, above a certain throttle setting those mods swap out the animated prop part of the engine model for a textured plane.

So if you can figure out how to properly patch the Firespitter engines that don't work with BDAc, you'll be (as Jayne said in an episode of Firefly) a Big Damn Hero. ;)

Another patch I'd love to see is eliminating the flameout on turboprops when exceeding a certain speed. What good is a big huge turboprop on a small plane when all that power can't be used?

Edited by Galane

57 minutes ago, Galane said:

So if you can figure out how to properly patch the Firespitter engines that don't work with BDAc, you'll be (as Jayne said in an episode of Firefly) a Big Damn Hero. 

So I need to first understand how the Autopilot handles engines first. I'm facing some troubles on Kramax and Atmospheric Autopilot too on my Firespitter planes - annoying to say the best, as biplanes are excellent low tech alternatives for science hunting on low atmosphere and surface of Kerbin.

Well... Historically, crazy dumb-sas like me ended up dead, institutionalized or condecorated. Let's see what happens on the next months... :D 

POST-EDIT: This issue affects KER too - I just realized that (at least some) Firespitter engines don't allow KER to display Thrust neither TWR. I didn't thoroughly tested this, so more KER features can be affected.

Edited by Lisias
new info added.

5 hours ago, DirtyVenomSteam said:

Oh well. I'll just modify some Airplanes+ Engines to be a little bit stronger so my biplane'll actually fly. At least I know that Firespitter engines make AI Autopilot kind of spazz out and just go braindead. Thanks.

2 hours ago, Lisias said:

36 minutes ago, Galane said:

Firespitter propeller engines use 'physical' blades interacting with the 'air'.

HI guys as mentioned when this first reappeared ( it does about once every six months)  I've already sorted it,  see post below, and i'm sure you can work out how to  mod the exact engine you want based on the template

EDIT

Its' worth mentioning that very few FS engines use the  bladed prop module,  Most of the problem arises from FS own engine module that BDA does not recognize. Patching that out with something like above  removes the issue

This will not work for AP bladed prop engines or FS bladed prop engines

Edited by SpannerMonkey(smce)

56 minutes ago, Galane said:

Another patch I'd love to see is eliminating the flameout on turboprops when exceeding a certain speed. What good is a big huge turboprop on a small plane when all that power can't be used?

The flameouts are probably simulating propeller stall. The propeller stops working when the tips reaches near MACH 1 speeds.

It's the reason the TU-95 use a double prop installment on each engine - they need to distribute the engine power into two blade sets, as a blade long enough to do the same job would break the sound barrier and just stop working. 

No propeller aircraft can go faster than mach 0.7 or 0.8 AFAIK.

Edited by Lisias
never mind,

23 hours ago, DoctorDavinci said:

Well that's a well known issue there, has been that way since Baha created BD Armory

Solution is to not place multiple AI Pilots and weapon managers on a single craft as it often will send the code into a hissy fit .... This is mentioned in the BD Pedia and has been mentioned by myself and other BDAc team members many times over the past 2 years

And yet it used to work. Now however, whenever I seperate the missile guidance module the intake air gets deprived, no matter how you place those intakes. The AI is fine though, surprisingly 

Edited by Hojoz

13 hours ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

HI guys as mentioned when this first reappeared ( it does about once every six months)  I've already sorted it,  see post below, and i'm sure you can work out how to  mod the exact engine you want based on the template

EDIT

Its' worth mentioning that very few FS engines use the  bladed prop module,  Most of the problem arises from FS own engine module that BDA does not recognize. Patching that out with something like above  removes the issue

This will not work for AP bladed prop engines or FS bladed prop engines

That patch made the engines produce thrust, but they still didn't work properly so they're still of no use with BDAc.

The BDAc team would like to announce the addition of @TheKurgan to our team.  He has been an integral part of testing for a long time, and has lately been increasingly instrumental to the success of BDAc.  Please welcome him to the team as we look forward to ever greater things for this mod.

Thanks @TheKurgan for your hard work and camaraderie!

Edited by Papa_Joe

I made a new guidance/targeting type!

(Sorry for the low quality, I thought the text would be a lot clearer than it would be)

If the video wasn't clear enough, essentially:

- Radars emit a 'tracking beam' from the locking radar to the actively locked target that a missile can follow. (If you have multiple locks the actively locked target is the highlighted lock)

- A missile can start following a tracking beam when it is in either a narrow 'capture beam' or a wide, short range capture beam. The capture beams are like cones with the apex as the locking radar and the axis the tracking beam.

- When in boresight mode, the boresighting radar emits a tracking beam in front of it that a missile can follow. While boresighting the radar won't attempt to lock up the last missile. (I created an entirely new 'scanning' mode for this one time, but I decided against that because it felt the changes were too 'destructive'.)

- The tracking beam can be changed by relocking another target, and as long as the missile is in the new tracking beam's capture beam the missile will follow that tracking beam.

Some things it's still missing:

- Missile perfectly follows the tracking beam if it has enough energy (thinking of adding a random element by using Random.onUnitSphere() and projecting that point onto a plane with the tracking beam as a normal)

- Time to impact (I'm not vector-savvy enough to do this)

One of the reasons I made this was to give the ground radars more useful for ground attack. I also wanted my pseudo MiG-21s to have a little bit more ground attack functionality :). 

I highly doubt this is actually going to be merged and integrated into the mod, but I'm not terribly sure how to publish my changes to Github. I have a local branch (called "feature_RadarBeamRidingGuidance" based on master) up but I don't know if I should publish it to PapaJoe's repository (I'm not even sure if I can) or my own forked repository.

Edited by CrayzeeMonkey

Since I'm getting more into the BDAC mod again after a hiatus, would anybody be interested in a couple of BDAC tournaments?

1 hour ago, CrayzeeMonkey said:

I made a new guidance/targeting type!

Hi that looks very interesting. As a first step go here

And create a new issue  as an Enhancement  with the details of the proposed changes tweaks or upgrades, the more details the better . This is in order for it to come to the attention of the coding guru's. 
Cheers

7 hours ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

And create a new issue  as an Enhancement  with the details of the proposed changes tweaks or upgrades, the more details the better . This is in order for it to come to the attention of the coding guru's. 
Cheers

Sorry, but shouldn't I make a pull request instead? I already wrote the code and it works well enough, but I can see why you guys might want to do it yourself because it's pretty bad :). (Here's my branch by the way)

If you want to make a change, do you always have to open an issue?

39 minutes ago, CrayzeeMonkey said:

Sorry, but shouldn't I make a pull request instead? I already wrote the code and it works well enough, but I can see why you guys might want to do it yourself because it's pretty bad :). (Here's my branch by the way)

If you want to make a change, do you always have to open an issue?

It's preferable that an issue is opened before any pull requests so that the team members are made aware of the changes you'd like to add 

If you just make a pull request with no explanation as to what your changes do then how are we to know what those changes are meant to do?

Opening an issue also helps us with tracking the development of BDAc ... it also helps in the case that your changes or proposal is already being worked on by one of the team members

We're definitely open to adding features and other goodies although it is preferable to discuss everything with the person who is proposing the changes/additions and we do that on github since it is very easy for posts in this thread to get lost ... the github issues tracker is how we get around the problem of good ideas getting buried

23 hours ago, GDJ said:

Since I'm getting more into the BDAC mod again after a hiatus, would anybody be interested in a couple of BDAC tournaments?

You can still enter mine, it's main selling point is the fact that you have to make your stuff tiny! 

(I also accidentally allowed multistaging, but no one cares right?) 

Hello

Is there some way to make part (turret/rotary rack) which works like US Mk-13 launcher (Turret with reload animation)? Maybe whole part is Turret module- thing and under that is rotary rack with animation (after rotation missile is raised to firing position)? Or it's pushing BDA and KSP functionality too far?

RGM-84-Harpoon-015.jpg

Edited by L0ck0n

19 minutes ago, L0ck0n said:

Hello

Is there some way to make part (turret/rotary rack) which works like US Mk-13 launcher (Turret with reload animation)? Maybe whole part is Turret module- thing and under that is rotary rack with animation (after rotation missile is raised to firing position)? Or it's pushing BDA and KSP functionality too far?

RGM-84-Harpoon-015.jpg

Aircraft Carrier Accessories has a reloadable missile rail. No idea how it works though

1 hour ago, Cdodders said:

Aircraft Carrier Accessories has a reloadable missile rail. No idea how it works though

Well you can reload the regular BDA missile rails too. Just need to use KIS and have a vehicle that is storing the ammo you want to load. And have a lot of time on your hands.

2 minutes ago, L0ck0n said:

Missile rail/launcher with automatic reload and option to set max reloads amount and reload time could be good enhancement.

I'm pretty sure that the automatic reloading of missiles isn't in the realm of possibility in KSP due to

a) Unity restrictions

b) Missiles having to be separate parts and attached somewhere, and due to reason a, cannot be mounted, detached, moved and mounted again.

Good enhancement, yes. Possible, no. Not unless something changed, but I think this has been asked about before and given the same relative answer.

1 hour ago, XOC2008 said:

I'm pretty sure that the automatic reloading of missiles isn't in the realm of possibility in KSP due to

a) Unity restrictions

b) Missiles having to be separate parts and attached somewhere, and due to reason a, cannot be mounted, detached, moved and mounted again. 

Good enhancement, yes. Possible, no. Not unless something changed, but I think this has been asked about before and given the same relative answer.

Well, it's possible:

This mod contains automatic reloading part with plugin: (which works)

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/152916-14xaircraft-carrier-accessories/

But sadly its too complicated- reload is only when refuelling to another vessel and there is no delay between shots.

Slightly rewrite plugin from this mod, make reload process only in vessel, not when refuelling, add some options in gui to set delay time and max reload amounts and voilà!

But i dont know anything about writing plugins...

Edited by L0ck0n