The Mun Four Rally

The Kerbal Space Program has recently sent out probes throughout the entire Kerbol system. By doing this, however, they have managed to run almost dry on funds. This is where you come in. The Space Program wants you to send one ship to the Mun, Minmus, and Duna to drum up some public intrest. Do you accept?

I recently got a contract in my latest career called The Mun Four Rally, and I did it. The contract was a lot of fun! So much, in fact, that I thought it would be a great challenge! So, the rules:

1. Orbital docking is allowed, but when you leave LKO, you cannot add any more parts to your ship. (You still can undock and redock modules you added in LKO.) 

1.5. If you forget vital parts, such as parachutes, ect, you may send up a rescue craft.

2. One part of your ship must return to Kerbin safely.

3. ISRU is allowed.

3. Mods are allowed, but please list them in your submission.

4. Please include pictures or a video of your submission. 

-Launch, Orbital insertion, transfer orbits, encounters and orbits and landings if applicible.

5. No cheating (orbit editing, hyperedit, ect.)

6. No gatecrashing. Please don't enter somthing that goes against the spirit of the challenge.

Submissions 

UNMANNED

Trivial: Fly by the Mun, Minmus, and Duna, then return to Kerbin.

Signifigant: Orbit all four bodies and then return to Kerbin.

Exceptional: Land on all three bodies and then return to Kerbin.

Bonus: Add Ike to your travels.

MANNED: 

Trivial: Fly by the Mun, Minmus, and Duna.

Signifigant: Orbit all four bodies.

Exceptional: Land on all three bodies.

Super: Land on all three bodies with ten Kerbals or more.

Insane: Land on all three bodies using life support.

Bonus: Add Ike to your travels.

Extra challanges:

Note: You can only qualify for one challenge per submission, so please specify what challenge you would like to enter for.

Cheapest cost (unmanned)

Flyby:

Orbit:

Landing:

Cheapest cost (manned)

Flyby:

-Life support:

Orbit

-LS:

Landing:

-LS:

Most Kerbals:

-LS:

Quickest time: @panzerknoef with a time of 2y, 232d

Most efficent (in terms of delta-v):

Most impressive (judged by me, no need to specify):

Good luck!

(If anyone is willing to make badges for the challange, please let me know)

Edited by Garrett Kerman
First challenge completion!

I've preped my ship but haven't started the trip. I found that it became easiest to just to a SSTO ISRU ship. If you go LKO-Mun-Minmus-Duna-Ike-Kerbin, then the hardest leg is Duna-Ike, which requires about 2500 dV. Here is my ship with mechjeb readout.XzY3mNi.jpg

That's the LKO launcher in the background.

14 minutes ago, Nicias said:

I've preped my ship but haven't started the trip. I found that it became easiest to just to a SSTO ISRU ship. If you go LKO-Mun-Minmus-Duna-Ike-Kerbin, then the hardest leg is Duna-Ike, which requires about 2500 dV. Here is my ship with mechjeb readout.

Nice! Looking forward to your entry!

Would it be okay if I pick my kerbals up from orbit with another ship? That way I can refuel and reuse this one. The other reason for that is that I've gotten back from duna and have realized now that there's no parachute on my pod :P

I could also fly a parachute up and dock that to the ship before reentry... 

20 hours ago, Nicias said:

How should I submit the entry? Also, I revised the ship, realized I could swap the fuel outriggers for mk1 passenger cabins at less weight/kerbal than the hitchhikers.

Post pictures of your ship in orbit, by the moon, by minmus, and by Duna. Include other things like landings and orbiting, as well as your orbital transfers in map view. Will add this to the OP.

8 hours ago, rkarmark said:

How is scoring?

i would sugest lowest cost, 

I didn't make this to be scored, it was really just a "do it and be rewarded" challenge. Now that I think about it, I should add some leaderboards... (also adding to the op)

9 hours ago, panzerknoef said:

Would it be okay if I pick my kerbals up from orbit with another ship? That way I can refuel and reuse this one. The other reason for that is that I've gotten back from duna and have realized now that there's no parachute on my pod :P

I could also fly a parachute up and dock that to the ship before reentry...

The rules say no docking outside of LKO, but anything in LKO is fair game... (so, yes, you can add parachutes.)

4 hours ago, Garrett Kerman said:

Post pictures of your ship in orbit, by the moon, by minmus, and by Duna. Include other things like landings and orbiting, as well as your orbital transfers in map view. Will add this to the OP.

I didn't make this to be scored, it was really just a "do it and be rewarded" challenge. Now that I think about it, I should add some leaderboards... (also adding to the op)

Could you add a "10 Kerbal" leaderboard? Seems more like what you asked for.

Finally, after many hours of play I have completed the mission!
Funnily the hardest part wasn't any of the actual game but it was the arranging of the images which got on my nerves...

Anyway, what have I done? I've taken Jeb, Bill, Bob and Valentina out for a space journey of 2 years, 332 days and 58 minutes. Visiting and landing on respectively Duna, Ike, Minmus and the Mun. 

Using up the rather big amount of 7700m/s of dV. Keep in mind that this is an estimate rather than the actual number. The fuel transfers to the lander kinda messed with that number so yeah...

The cost of the mission is...big, given my rather bad skills in building small and efficient rockets. The main ship cost 307.210, the lander had a price tag of 40.734, the parachute attachment to get home was 25.424 and finally the crew ship cost 46.902. Bringing the total cost of the mission up to 420.270

And now for the screenshots, the full album can be found here but the most important screenies shall be posted below.

The main ship: 

maMifTJ.png

The Lander:

LfJqjMf.png

Full ship in orbit:

Ia3E4c3.png

Launching the crew:

icdQJE2.png

Duna Transfer:

PwQVvzx.png

Duna Orbit

fN6dEcD.png

Landed on Duna:

RioqVeT.png

Ike Transfer

XcAQHiF.png

Ike Landing:

YqOImle.png

Leaving Duna SOI

KVPN6Fr.png

Kerbin Transfer

abvd8Ot.png

Minmus Transfer

0IRR6Bv.png

Minmus landing

YelHkJZ.png

Mun Transfer

WwaNkRO.png

Mun Landing

5sCBijh.png

Back to Kerbin

gasgl6e.png

ship with newly attached parachutes in LKO

95Sa0dn.png

Touched down safely!

YwTDXnC.png

I think these are all the images needed, as I said, more i behind that link above.

I really enjoyed doing this challenge, thanks for posting it, OP!

9 hours ago, panzerknoef said:

Finally, after many hours of play I have completed the mission!
Funnily the hardest part wasn't any of the actual game but it was the arranging of the images which got on my nerves...

-snipped awesomeness-

Looks awesome!  You have completed the Exceptional, Bonus categories in the manned section. Way to go! Which extra challenge would you like to be entered for? (I updated the OP, so if you're confused, check there.)

18 hours ago, Nicias said:

Could you add a "10 Kerbal" leaderboard? Seems more like what you asked for.

That would be a bit too much, the OP is already a bit lengthy.

53 minutes ago, Garrett Kerman said:

Looks awesome!  You have completed the Exceptional, Bonus categories in the manned section. Way to go! Which extra challenge would you like to be entered for? (I updated the OP, so if you're confused, check there.)

That would be a bit too much, the OP is already a bit lengthy.

Sign me up for the shortest time then, I never had to wait too long so I feel as if it was rather fast... 

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.