[1.8.x] Kerbal Foundries -- Continued - Tracks, Wheels, and Gear

Shadowmage

17 minutes ago, Fireheart318 said:

The big adjustable landing gear has to be able to be taller for giant planes

Or... you know... use the scale control and make it bigger?

(either way, not my models, so not something that I can fix)

Hello. I've been playing around in KSP 1.4.2 with the long tracks and they seem to have a mind of their own. When I launch the vehicle, they do a quick burst of power pushing it along until it runs out of EC, and if I add infinite EC it keeps going. Is there a fix? Thanks.

Edit: It seems to be happening with most of the wheels, stock and modded.

Edited by Kerbal Gamer

14 hours ago, Kerbal Gamer said:

Edit: It seems to be happening with most of the wheels, stock and modded.

Then your problem is not with KerbalFoundries or KSPWheel, but rather a problem with your game configuration or PC settings.

Two things to check.  First, do you have any joysticks/gamepads/etc installed?  Second, what are your keybindings for 'rover throttle' set to?

Likely the problem is with one of those settings.

So First thanx for making tracks a thing again.

I'm having an issue with vehicles I make using tracks though. Whenever I launch them (load from SPH into runway) they start facing vertical and role over onto there back. I cheated to play some and made a kickstand (retractable landing leg) to force them to role onto there tracks. This is not a good way to be playing though.
1. Is anyone else having this issue?
2. How can I correct this?

9 hours ago, Steel Dragon said:

I'm having an issue with vehicles I make using tracks though. Whenever I launch them (load from SPH into runway) they start facing vertical and role over onto there back. I cheated to play some and made a kickstand (retractable landing leg) to force them to role onto there tracks. This is not a good way to be playing though.

That does not sound normal... could you provide some screenshots showing the issue?  One of the craft in the SPH, and another right after you launch it?

The craft should spawn onto the runway in the same orientation as it was in the editor -- nothing in KF should change that behavior.

• 3 weeks later...

Are the issues of the wheels being "skittish" and the suspension being non-functional already known? For the former, the wheels jitter around alot (wheel stress goes bonkers) and for the latter it doesn't matter what accelerations the vehicle is under the suspension will not move.

I am running 1.4.3 so I'm not sure if that is part of the issue.

Edit: Cut the number of active wheels down to a significantly smaller number (I like clustering the KF Medium wheel for superheavy rovers) seems to have eased off the worst of the jitteryness and gotten the suspension to respond to loads, but its still acting oddly.

Edit 2: Seems the jitteryness and other whatnot at least partially stemmed from how I was attaching the wheels to the main body of the rover (Through girders segments and struts). I'm still trying to figure it out.

Edited by Cyrious

On 5/28/2018 at 10:06 AM, Cyrious said:

Seems the jitteryness and other whatnot at least partially stemmed from how I was attaching the wheels to the main body of the rover

Yep, those are caused by limitations of the Unity Joint system.

For best results, attach the wheels directly to one of the heaviest parts on the vehicle.  Also, activating auto-struts can help if the wheels are not attached directly to the chassis (e.g. as in your 'through girders' setup).

(it is this same error in the Unity Joints that has resulted in stock adopting AutoStruts in the first place).

8 hours ago, Jimbodiah said:

The repulsors are awesome on landers :)   Soft touch with them on, then switch them off to bring the lander to touch the ground.

i wonder how fast i can land with repulsors? why havent i thought of repulsors on landers?

Hi I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this I built a rover using the kerbal foundries small wheel and tried to use the Mechjeb rover autopilot but it wigs out when trying to control them, stock wheels work perfectly unfortunately as I prefer the Modded wheels. i have left a post over on The MJ thread as well

Thanks

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.