[1.8.x] Kerbal Foundries -- Continued - Tracks, Wheels, and Gear

Shadowmage

Just now, smaalle said:

Somebody help me please, is this there an update to ksp 1.4.3, so yes, were can i find it. I didnt find it, sorry and i need this mod badly. I have some bad kerbals in my savegame

It should work fine with KSP 1.4.3, no update needed.

9 minutes ago, smaalle said:

Thanks man, i will try it. sometimes its hard to find updates for mods.

No worries;  if you do run into issues, please let me know and I'll do a specific recompile for 1.4.3.  AFAIK though, it should work just fine.   If you use AVC, it might pop up an 'incompatible KSP version' warning, but it should be able to be ignored in this instance.

I'm having a strange problem with the ALG in 1.4.3:

This is a test aircraft with Airplane Plus landing gear.

u0X9XzC.jpg

Exactly the same aircraft with just the rear gear swapped:
Vevc0XZ.jpg

The gear seem to have uneven stress, causing the plane to tip to one side and it starts to spin on the runway.

25 minutes ago, Citizen247 said:

I'm having a strange problem with the ALG in 1.4.3:

This is a test aircraft with Airplane Plus landing gear.

Exactly the same aircraft with just the rear gear swapped:

The gear seem to have uneven stress, causing the plane to tip to one side and it starts to spin on the runway.

My first guess would be that the stock gear module (Airplane Plus uses stock modules) is imparting improper forces to the craft.  I've honestly never tried them together, and simply assumed it would be a 'very bad idea'.

What happens if you also replace the front wheel with an ALG or other KerbalFoundries part?

14 minutes ago, Shadowmage said:

My first guess would be that the stock gear module (Airplane Plus uses stock modules) is imparting improper forces to the craft.  I've honestly never tried them together, and simply assumed it would be a 'very bad idea'.

What happens if you also replace the front wheel with an ALG or other KerbalFoundries part?

The first craft I noticed the problem on used an ALG for the front gear as well.

Just now, Citizen247 said:

The first craft I noticed the problem on used an ALG for the front gear as well.

Thanks for the confirmation.  Do you have an otherwise stock craft file that I could take a look at?  If I can find a way to duplicate the problem during testing, I can at least have a chance to find the cause.

(even if the craft uses a couple specific mods, like AirplanePlus, it might still be usable for testing as long as I know what mods and versions to use)

11 hours ago, Shadowmage said:

Thanks for the confirmation.  Do you have an otherwise stock craft file that I could take a look at?  If I can find a way to duplicate the problem during testing, I can at least have a chance to find the cause.

(even if the craft uses a couple specific mods, like AirplanePlus, it might still be usable for testing as long as I know what mods and versions to use)

I'll try and put something together ASAP. I'll probably set up a minimally modded install in a bit.

I think it might be a problem with the small landing gear, as they seem to hover higher off the ground than others as well:
h6oiFlJ.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hi @Shadowmage really love the mod and appreciate all the work you do with it.

I wanted to point out something I noticed in my latest fresh install of KSP 1.4.5 where I'm using Kerbal Foundries:

[ERR 01:45:50.033] Texture 'KerbalFoundries/Assets/RepulsorSurfaceDiffuse' not found!
[ERR 01:45:50.078] Texture 'KerbalFoundries/Assets/SurfaceTrackSurface' not found!

I also noticed this was on the GitHub issues list (#s 30 & 31 from April) so thought I'd check on it. I'm not sure this is actually causing any issues, or maybe it's just orphan code. 

Thanks for keeping this mod updated!

2 hours ago, scottadges said:

Hi @Shadowmage really love the mod and appreciate all the work you do with it.

I wanted to point out something I noticed in my latest fresh install of KSP 1.4.5 where I'm using Kerbal Foundries:

[ERR 01:45:50.033] Texture 'KerbalFoundries/Assets/RepulsorSurfaceDiffuse' not found!
[ERR 01:45:50.078] Texture 'KerbalFoundries/Assets/SurfaceTrackSurface' not found!

I also noticed this was on the GitHub issues list (#s 30 & 31 from April) so thought I'd check on it. I'm not sure this is actually causing any issues, or maybe it's just orphan code. 

Thanks for keeping this mod updated!

That 'problem' has existed since before I even took over development on KF.

A bit of history:

Stock models (.mu files) store their texture references in the model file.  The particular models in question have references to some textures that no longer exist (if they ever existed).  The meshes in question receive their texture through plugin code, which is why there are no 'untextured' parts.

The 'solution' would be to recompile the model with empty materials for those meshes.  Now, I don't have the original modeling files for many of these parts, so I cannot recompile the models (without jumping through hours of work to import them into Blender, fix up the import errors, re-export to .fbx, and finally re-import into Unity).  (Alternatively, one could 'edit' the .mu file to remove the reference.... but the .mu's are binary encoded and it is non-trivial to decode the files and rewrite them)

As the 'problem' has zero actual effect on gameplay, or really anything aside from those few lines in the log file, I have opted to not spend those many hours of time.  One of those 'effort vs productivity' trade-offs....

1 minute ago, Shadowmage said:

As the 'problem' has zero actual effect on gameplay, or really anything aside from those few lines in the log file, I have opted to not spend those many hours of time.  One of those 'effort vs productivity' trade-offs....

Thank you for the explanation. That was really helpful to know about KSP models (I don't know how it that works).

Definitely agree with your view of effort to fix something that doesn't really cause any problems.

Great work keeping this mod alive!

3 hours ago, The Minmus Derp said:

This says 1.4.2. It works on 1.4.3.

1.4.3 was a minor patch. Most things which worked in 1.4.2 work in 1.4.3, so it's not worth the individual effort to increment this particular thread title. Especially as 1.4.3 isn't even the latest anymore.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/17/2017 at 2:44 PM, Shadowmage said:

A bit out of the scope of the mod.  Seems more like an IR/KOS deal.  (unless I'm misinterpreting what you mean by 'walker'; certainly a geriatrics style 'walker' would be in the wheels domain (if of questionable use in KSP), but a star-wars style 'walker' clearly is not)

Whenever they are ready (tm).

(Generally I do releases on weekends, sat/sun, -if- whatever developments are ready for release that week; if nothing is ready, there will be no release.  If something is WIP/unstable, even if other things are ready, there will be no release.)

Likely there will be a minor update this weekend to add back in some of the missing features (sounds, dust), and fix up some configs that I missed (Tiny Track).

Edit:  BTW -- most of the 'development' news for KF will actually be posted over at the KSPWheels thread, as that is where all the plugin-level magic is decided/figured out.  Mostly the only 'development' discussion that will happen in this thread will be related to Kerbal Foundries specific part-balancing.  E.G.  There is some data/questions up on the KSPWheels thread about repulsors that is very relevant to KF (but as it is all part of the KSPWheels plugin, it is all being discussed and developed over there...).

Second Edit:
Will be added to CKAN indexing for future 'public' releases, courtesy of and thanks to @linuxgurugamer  -- first CKAN versions should be available sometime this weekend/next week.

Is there a 1.3.1 version. I’m playing ksp 1.3.1 because most of my favorite mods haven’t been updated to 131. 

• 3 weeks later...

Would it be possible to make a version of the wing mounted ALG gear that can be rotated so they can be placed on swept wings? I.e. instead of having to place them at 90 degrees to the runway they could be placed at the same angle as the wings and the wheels rotated to parallel?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, here is a log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5sdzcbltobydaoj/saves for LoadingScreenManager.1.output_log.rar?dl=0

Well not a log, but a log file, never mind, I have posted too many of these things today. Yes it is an odd name but like I said to others, the below is in it.

I get this:

Spoiler

Load(Model): KerbalFoundries/Assets/MediumWheel

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)

WheelCollider requires an attached Rigidbody to function.

(Filename:  Line: 241)

WheelCollider requires an attached Rigidbody to function.

(Filename:  Line: 241)

Texture 'KerbalFoundries/Assets/RepulsorSurfaceDiffuse' not found!

I have no idea if the two are related to this, the WheelColider message and the assets not found but hey I thought they might. So as I have been asking others, can you help me out with my mission to try and clean up the output log.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.