[1.8.x] Kerbal Foundries -- Continued - Tracks, Wheels, and Gear

Shadowmage

Hmmm.. so I'm running KF on 1.7.0 on a lightly modded install.
Dependencies are installed and up to date.

Anyone else have all part textures *not* showing up?

EDIT: ok... so there must be a missing dll somewhere. Seems I'm missing whatever dll handles "KSPTextureSwitch"... ???

Edited by Stone Blue

1 hour ago, Stone Blue said:

Hmmm.. so I'm running KF on 1.7.0 on a lightly modded install.
Dependencies are installed and up to date.

Anyone else have all part textures *not* showing up?

EDIT: ok... so there must be a missing dll somewhere. Seems I'm missing whatever dll handles "KSPTextureSwitch"... ???

For the most recent releases, TexturesUnlimited is a requirement; it _should_ be included in the downloads.

Ahhhh... Thanx. I manually install mods, and I removed the TU folder when I removed a bunch of other mods to make for a cleaner install to troubleshoot my issue. :P
I *did* check the OP after I did that, and the issue appeared, and didnt see TU listed as a dependency, so didnt think of it... Sorry :blush:

13 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

Ahhhh... Thanx. I manually install mods, and I removed the TU folder when I removed a bunch of other mods to make for a cleaner install to troubleshoot my issue. :P
I *did* check the OP after I did that, and the issue appeared, and didnt see TU listed as a dependency, so didnt think of it... Sorry :blush:

No worries; its a recent addition for the KSP 1.6+ 'testing' versions of Kerbal Foundries.  Actually still undecided if it will be a permanent dependency -- the reception of the PBR textures has generally been 'disliked', so it might be removed in the near future.

4 minutes ago, Shadowmage said:

the reception of the PBR textures has generally been 'disliked', so it might be removed in the near future.

Would it be a lot of work to move it from the KF folder to an "Extras" folder, next to the /GameData folder in the package?... I know lots of mods do that with optional and extra "stuff"...?? (the patches for it, i mean, *not* the TU folder itself...) and just not package TU with KF?... leave *that* to users to grab seperately, and for CKAN to have it shown as a *recommended* mod, so they are taken care of too? vOv

Edited by Stone Blue

3 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

Would it be a lot of work to move it from the KF folder to an "Extras" folder, next to the /GameData folder in the package?... I know lots of mods do that with optional and extra "stuff"...?? (the patches for it, i mean, *not* the TU folder itself...) and just not package TU with KF?... leave *that* to users to grab seperately, and for CKAN to have it shown as a *recommended* mod, so they are taken care of too? vOv

Not that easy.  In order to 'remove' the PBR -- I have to completely redo all the textures to use the legacy shaders first.

Basically I redid _all_ of the models; fixed geometry errors, optimized meshes, re-rigged them, UV maps updated for better efficiency, and I then made PBR textures for the new models and UV maps.  People then say 'I don't like shiny new things', so I'm stuck with having done ~100 hours worth of work, that apparently nobody wants.  And needing another ~100 hours of work in order to get the old textures back (which I don't want).

^^^ Is why the mod hasn't been moving much lately.  I really don't feel like spending time working on things that others don't want, and I _really_ don't feel like spending my time working on things that _I_ don't want.  Had I known in advance there was such widespread hate for PBR textures and modern shaders... I never would have started the model rework project.  At this point it would actually be faster to just revert the entire mod to the pre-PBR updates, and deal with the existing model issues -- which is likely what is going to happen for future updates.

So I just rediscovered this mod (last time I used it was like 3-4 years ago) and I'm a little disappointed to see the anti grav motors instantly switching off instantly every time I activate them. I looked in the bug reports and saw it was already reported but if possible I'd like to fix it myself so I can start messing around with them. Does anyone know where I might be able to find the section of the code that governs turning on/off? 

14 hours ago, johiah said:

So I just rediscovered this mod (last time I used it was like 3-4 years ago) and I'm a little disappointed to see the anti grav motors instantly switching off instantly every time I activate them. I looked in the bug reports and saw it was already reported but if possible I'd like to fix it myself so I can start messing around with them. Does anyone know where I might be able to find the section of the code that governs turning on/off? 

Update your KSPWheel to the latest version, that bug is already fixed.    https://github.com/shadowmage45/KSPWheel/releases/download/15.13.32/KSPWheel-0.15.13.32.zip

6 hours ago, Shadowmage said:

Update your KSPWheel to the latest version, that bug is already fixed.    https://github.com/shadowmage45/KSPWheel/releases/download/15.13.32/KSPWheel-0.15.13.32.zip

Thanks! Might want to update the front download link, it took me to https://github.com/shadowmage45/KerbalFoundries2/releases/tag/2.3.7.17

Unless I don't understand something?

Edited by johiah

14 hours ago, johiah said:

Thanks! Might want to update the front download link, it took me to https://github.com/shadowmage45/KerbalFoundries2/releases/tag/2.3.7.17

Unless I don't understand something?

The current releases are 'testing' releases, and may have game-breaking changes in future updates before all is done.  As such, I'm not advertising their KSP compatibility or even their availability.

27 minutes ago, Tonas1997 said:

If I wanted to change the DustColors config to support RSS, could I just change the body/biome names directly on that file?

That file really isn't used anymore; or at least shouldn't be; its a legacy file that just kind of stuck around.

Dust colors are dynamically captured from the scenery using a downward-looking camera.  It renders the scenery near the ship (~10m or so I think?), samples the rendered texture, averages the color across the entire texture, and uses that averaged color.  The sampling is done every X seconds or X meters, depending upon vessel speed, and then finally the colors between the last sample and the current sample are lerped/blended to smooth out transitions between different biomes/colors across the samples.

Is there a specific case where this is not working?  It should in theory work just fine in RSS, as well as it does on a standard scaled planet/body.

2 hours ago, Shadowmage said:

That file really isn't used anymore; or at least shouldn't be; its a legacy file that just kind of stuck around.

Dust colors are dynamically captured from the scenery using a downward-looking camera.  It renders the scenery near the ship (~10m or so I think?), samples the rendered texture, averages the color across the entire texture, and uses that averaged color.  The sampling is done every X seconds or X meters, depending upon vessel speed, and then finally the colors between the last sample and the current sample are lerped/blended to smooth out transitions between different biomes/colors across the samples.

Is there a specific case where this is not working?  It should in theory work just fine in RSS, as well as it does on a standard scaled planet/body.

I hadn't tested it prior to my post; while looking through the mod files, I came across that config and got curious to know if it would work on my RSS/RO modpack. Wasn't aware dust colours had been updated to use a different system. But I'll report back if I come across any problems.

Is there any way Texture Unlimited can be by-passed as an dependency?
As it fks around with my part-list icons. making them disappear, or look very very dark

Or am i forced to work with previous versions of KerbalFoundries?

Edited by dxeh

On 4/18/2019 at 9:01 PM, Shadowmage said:

Basically I redid _all_ of the models; fixed geometry errors, optimized meshes, re-rigged them, UV maps updated for better efficiency, and I then made PBR textures for the new models and UV maps.  People then say 'I don't like shiny new things', so I'm stuck with having done ~100 hours worth of work, that apparently nobody wants.  And needing another ~100 hours of work in order to get the old textures back (which I don't want).

You should not listen other people and loose another ~100 hours. Don't have a clue why people are complain about it either. Revert back to old textures only if you don't like them. Noone else should complain about it unless they are ready to sit for ~100 hours in chair and re-do things by themself. Do this only if you realy want to do that and only if you have some joy doing it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.