[1.8.x] Kerbal Foundries -- Continued - Tracks, Wheels, and Gear

Shadowmage

37 minutes ago, Shadowmage said:

One thing I might be able to do (for a future release) would be to add a 'dummy' animation to those parts through the plugin.  Basically an empty animation that I can then set the state of through plugin code, which you could query for state.  It wouldn't allow external mods/plugins to manipulate the animation, but it would allow for them to query the state, direction, and deploy percentage.

Do you think that would sufficiently solve your problems?

If it gives me something I can latch onto so that I know that the gear is deployed or retracted then sure. DRE can treat certain parts as shielded or unshielded depending on their animation state. That's how it's always dealt with such parts. (a similar method exists for models that disable parts of their meshes such as parachute caps)

Hello,

In some youtube video I saw dust particles coming out of the long tracks. But now I'm in game and there are no effects, is that feature removed or am I missing something, that it depends on weight and stuff?

Wonderful modelings and  wonderful mod by the way. I'm just wondering if it's changed.

1 hour ago, Smart Parts Wanter said:

Hello,

In some youtube video I saw dust particles coming out of the long tracks. But now I'm in game and there are no effects, is that feature removed or am I missing something, that it depends on weight and stuff?

Wonderful modelings and  wonderful mod by the way. I'm just wondering if it's changed.

Good catch on the dust-effects.  They were likely broken due to stock KSP switching to a new particle system in KSP 1.4.  I'll see what I can do to fix them up for the official 1.4.1 release later this weekend/next week.

(bug report is here:  https://github.com/shadowmage45/KSPWheel/issues/55  )

20 hours ago, Shadowmage said:

Good catch on the dust-effects.  They were likely broken due to stock KSP switching to a new particle system in KSP 1.4.  I'll see what I can do to fix them up for the official 1.4.1 release later this weekend/next week.

(bug report is here:  https://github.com/shadowmage45/KSPWheel/issues/55  )

Oh I see. Well, glad I could point out something which was not intended.

Thank you so much for your rapid reply and concern.

it's not just that the dust effects are broken; it's logging:

KSPWheel.KSPWheelDustEffects.onOriginShift (Vector3d o, Vector3d n)
    EventData`2[Vector3d,Vector3d].Fire (Vector3d data0, Vector3d data1)
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
    EventData`2:Fire(Vector3d, Vector3d)
    FloatingOrigin:setOffset(Vector3d, Vector3d)
    FloatingOrigin:FixedUpdate()
[ERR 03:41:29.087] Exception handling event onFloatingOriginShift in class KSPWheelDustEffects:System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at KSPWheel.KSPWheelDustEffects.onOriginShift (Vector3d o, Vector3d n) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at EventData`2[Vector3d,Vector3d].Fire (Vector3d data0, Vector3d data1) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

thousands upon thousands of times to ksp.log, and this is having a severe performance impact.  A quick patch to simply suppress this or disable the dust effects until they can be fixed, would be highly appreciated.  If that's not something you have time for right now,  I'll see if I can edit the source and wrap the exception myself.

10 hours ago, ss8913 said:

it's not just that the dust effects are broken; it's logging:

KSPWheel.KSPWheelDustEffects.onOriginShift (Vector3d o, Vector3d n)
    EventData`2[Vector3d,Vector3d].Fire (Vector3d data0, Vector3d data1)
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
    EventData`2:Fire(Vector3d, Vector3d)
    FloatingOrigin:setOffset(Vector3d, Vector3d)
    FloatingOrigin:FixedUpdate()
[ERR 03:41:29.087] Exception handling event onFloatingOriginShift in class KSPWheelDustEffects:System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at KSPWheel.KSPWheelDustEffects.onOriginShift (Vector3d o, Vector3d n) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at EventData`2[Vector3d,Vector3d].Fire (Vector3d data0, Vector3d data1) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

thousands upon thousands of times to ksp.log, and this is having a severe performance impact.  A quick patch to simply suppress this or disable the dust effects until they can be fixed, would be highly appreciated.  If that's not something you have time for right now,  I'll see if I can edit the source and wrap the exception myself.

You can disable the dust system entirely in the in-game difficulty menu. 

As this is a particle-effect problem -- going to take awhile to sort out.  I have exactly zero information on this new particle system; so not only do I need to learn how to use it, but then I also have to bash it all around to make it work in KSP.

@Shadowmage - off topic, but I've never really understood how this works, perhaps you can enlighten me... you posted the update 20+ hours ago, but CKAN still has 2.3.13 as the latest release, what drives the update into CKAN-visibility?  is that something the CKAN maintainers do or is that something that mod authors themselves do?

25 minutes ago, ss8913 said:

@Shadowmage - off topic, but I've never really understood how this works, perhaps you can enlighten me... you posted the update 20+ hours ago, but CKAN still has 2.3.13 as the latest release, what drives the update into CKAN-visibility?  is that something the CKAN maintainers do or is that something that mod authors themselves do?

I have no idea.  I neither use or support CKAN.  I have no knowledge of how it works.

1 hour ago, ss8913 said:

The method varies depending on the mod and how it's hosted, but generally it's a ckan/netkan function to update the ckan indexed version. The netkan files for both KSPWheel and Kerbal foundries point correctly at GitHub, but I'm not sure how the version indexing works from there. 

There's a ref to the AVC thing, so maybe it piggy backs off that for this mod.   

"$vref": "#/ckan/ksp-avc",

But that's not a lot to go on. But, if ckan is waiting for something else to update after the main update, then I'd expect some delays.  Or, one delay for avc and a second one for ckan.

well, if Shadowmage neither uses nor supports CKAN, but yet the mod is in fact available there, that would indicate that there's either an automatic process or something the CKAN folks are doing, or it wouldn't be showing up there at all....

2 hours ago, ss8913 said:

well, if Shadowmage neither uses nor supports CKAN, but yet the mod is in fact available there, that would indicate that there's either an automatic process or something the CKAN folks are doing, or it wouldn't be showing up there at all....

Someone else added it and you should post CKAN issues in the CKAN thread. Shadowmage can't do anything about it. This is not difficult concept.

On 3/22/2018 at 6:55 PM, Starwaster said:

Someone else added it and you should post CKAN issues in the CKAN thread. Shadowmage can't do anything about it. This is not difficult concept.

that's what I was trying to determine with the question.  No need to get upset.

Hi, I have a request and an observation.

So I have this truck...you know the one, massive weight, massive wheels. I found it floats, or rather the wheels do. Fantastic. However, despite being great on land, I can travel way way to fast (because I am silly), but when I am in the water, limited to about 30-40 m/s. Not fair. lol.

With that in mind, here is the request. I see there are hover parts. YAY. But the load they can handle is tiny. Boo. What are the chances of doing something about that? Bigger parts that really suck the juice (Ec)? or scaleability to enable truly weighty things to hover. I understand the concept is to hover a limited distance from the ground. I am cool with that.

Thanks for the help/replies so far. Really good stuff.

Edited by Apaseall

11 minutes ago, Apaseall said:

but when I am in the water, limited to about 30-40 m/s. Not fair. lol.

40m/s in water is -extremely fast- for a vehicle using wheels for propulsion.

With that in mind, here is the request. I see there are hover parts

Yes, they are called repulsors.

But the load they can handle is tiny. Boo.

Not true, they technically have 'infinite' max load.  The only caveat is that the EC consumption is tied linearly to the current load -- so bigger craft = more EC use.  (they may list a 'max safe load' in the GUI, but it is ignored because there is no KSPWheelDamage module in the part -- they will never break because of overloading or over-speed)

Interesting fact:  Wheels in KSPWheel scale their suspension output to the current mass of the vessel.  All of them.  So what you are asking for is already in place, on -all- of the parts.

4 minutes ago, Shadowmage said:

40m/s in water is -extremely fast- for a vehicle using wheels for propulsion.

Yes, they are called repulsors.

Not true, they technically have 'infinite' max load.  The only caveat is that the EC consumption is tied linearly to the current load -- so bigger craft = more EC use.  (they may list a 'max safe load' in the GUI, but it is ignored because there is no KSPWheelDamage module in the part -- they will never break because of overloading or over-speed)

Interesting fact:  Wheels in KSPWheel scale their suspension output to the current mass of the vessel.  All of them.  So what you are asking for is already in place, on -all- of the parts.

Absolutely marvelous. Genius even. I look forward to researching them when I get enough science [sandbox play]. I am now smiling. Thank you.

Oh and as you may guess, the wheels are not providing the propulsion. Interestingly they do show EC figures, I have not tried to see if they actually consume EC [whilst on land].

Edited by Apaseall

3 minutes ago, Apaseall said:

Oh and as you may guess, the wheels are not providing the propulsion.

Another fun fact:

Some of the larger wheels in KerbalFoundries actually -do- provide propulsion while in the water (might only be on the very large wheels....).  If at least part of the wheel is above the surface of the water, there will be thrust output.  It can be tricky setting up a vehicle to make use of the feature, but amphibious vehicles are certainly a possibility.

I was not commenting on if the wheels could provide the propulsion. I was mentioning that I am able to get silly land speeds because I use another form of propulsion, not the wheels. In a nutshell my fingers hurt if I keep them pressed on the W key. So I picked up a pair of electric fans, designed I believe for vertical takeoff. I rotated them to provide forward thrust. Job done.

Bit of work on designing a new dust-effects particle emitter -- looking pretty good in the Unity editor, now I just need to find out how to set all of the parameters identically when creating the emitter through code....

Might still be room for improvement in the particle texture itself, and certainly some settings can be tweaked a bit more.  Fairly happy with where it is now, so probably won't play around with it too much more unless I uncover some actual problems.  While the particle in the image below is white, it will be colored at runtime to match the color of the terrain, as-per the previous implementation.

bLYPQVD.png

A single image hardly does it justice, but I'm unsure of any method to capture video out of the Unity editor.  Ohwell, soon enough it should be available in-game (likely with the next release; in a week or two).

Shouldn't wheels be researched before rockets and planes? How can you move a Rocket to the launch pad, on logs? :) Can you make a config with wheels in a lower tech? i know this is squad idea about wheels, but i think rovers should be built before rockets.

8 hours ago, Acvila said:

Shouldn't wheels be researched before rockets and planes? How can you move a Rocket to the launch pad, on logs? :) Can you make a config with wheels in a lower tech? i know this is squad idea about wheels, but i think rovers should be built before rockets.

Only if you've researched logs.

3 minutes ago, Starwaster said:

Only if you've researched logs.

i'm frustrated cause i started a campaign with standard income and research and i can't build anything, just rockets... :) and of course, men should die first before sending some probes, cause, logic :)

1 minute ago, Acvila said:

i'm frustrated cause i started a campaign with standard income and research and i can't build anything, just rockets... :) and of course, men should die first before sending some probes, cause, logic :)

Oh I agree 69,105%

The only thing I can think of is that Kerbals are so anxious to get into space that they tried to leapfrog their technology and ignore the obvious progression.... or something.

It's definitely bizarre where wheels and probes and even jet engines are in the stock tech tree.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.