Shadowmage

[1.4.2] Kerbal Foundries -- Continued - Tracks, Wheels, and Gear (04-10-18)

Recommended Posts

His complaint in this scenario is pretty well justified, if the dependency is messing with other parts of the game.

 

Regardless I love your work, and I'll be sorry to see you go if you do leave.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, qwertyza said:

Hey, folks is there any way to remove the dark icons in VAB/SPH, tweak a config for instance? I already found that it's the textures mod causing the problem. The mod is cool, and I appreciate the work, but that dependency messes with other parts of the game, and this particular one is especially annoying (I have a dark screen)

I'd pop that question in the Textures Unlimited thread. There's more people in that thread that might be able to help with that mod than in this one. (since y'know.. this thread contains mostly users of this mod)
Coincidentally, feel free to mention my name (@Jognt) if you find how to remove the darkened VAB icons as it's one of the reasons I went back to stock.

 

17 hours ago, Shadowmage said:

(yes, I'm sick of people complaining about all of the hard-work I put into it; which is why I'm likely moving on from KSP in the very near future)

This here is precisely why I stick to creating stuff for me and a few friends. It's annoying to go from "work on it when I feel like it" to "work on it because others would like me to".
Having said that, I do feel like you're venting a bigger part of your frustration towards this person than he is responsible for.
And having said that, I totally get the feeling <_<.

You've already done (and shared!) a ridiculous amount of stuff for KSP. Thank you for that.

On 5/30/2019 at 6:42 PM, Shadowmage said:

Before I would feel comfortable with publishing those patches -- they would first have to be supported.  I bashed those configs together as a personal 'test' mostly to make sure the plugin would work for stock parts.  They have received no balance updates or any sort of maintenance since they were initially put together.  Which is why I've left them just hanging out in the repo, with no official releases or packages, and the only way to get them is by manual download.

I may take you up on the offer in the future though -- there have been multiple requests for fixes for the stock wheels, and I feel kind of bad for having that fix just laying around but going unused.  Would need some time to sit down and thoroughly review the configs though, make sure the balance is all where it needs to be and that it all actually works.

Those CFGs look pretty 'done' to me. I'm assuming they only depend on KSPWheel itself so I think I'll do some A/B testing with them soon-ish. Since you mention their balance, are there factors you'd recommend me to look out for?

Edited by Jognt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jognt said:

Coincidentally, feel free to mention my name (@Jognt) if you find how to remove the darkened VAB icons as it's one of the reasons I went back to stock.

Please contact SQUAD and tell them that modders need access to ALL of their shader source files then.  Basically, SQUAD created some terrible 'icon shader' that is used when rendering icons.  They use some very hacky functions in there to boost light levels.  But they do not provide the source of these files so that acceptable alternate implementations can be developed.  I've opened multiple issue tickets on the subject, and had zero reply.

I do not have access to those shader files, and thus cannot duplicate whatever hacks they are using to boost light levels on the icons.

Until I am provided with that source -- there is no fix.  I'm not going to spend days and days trying random stuff in the hope that something works... it is neither productive, nor satisfying.

4 hours ago, Jognt said:

Those CFGs look pretty 'done' to me. I'm assuming they only depend on KSPWheel itself so I think I'll do some A/B testing with them soon-ish. Since you mention their balance, are there factors you'd recommend me to look out for?

Indeed, they were 'done' when I uploaded them; I actually used those configs for the development of KSPWheel and all of the initial setup and testing.  Worked as far as I knew, and should still work (minus perhaps a few changes to features).

The problem is -- I don't use stock parts, nor do I feel like taking time to 'balance' the configs for stock parts that I do not use.  Moreover, I have no clue what the intended 'balance' of the stock parts is, as the information that can be extracted from the stock configs is... nonsensical at best (e.g. what is the maximum load (in N / kN) for a stock wheel before it breaks?  Where do you find that value in the stock config?  What is the maximum wheel speed?  Motor Torque?).  The values listed in the stock part configs often don't lineup with what is seen in-game, so trying to base any balance around those numerical values is difficult.

Basically -- they should work, but I don't personally want to support or distribute them, and nobody else has stepped forward offering to pick them up.  (I don't want to distribute them, because I've seen far too many issues and complaints regarding mods 'messing with stock or other mods' parts; so as a rule, I do not touch any parts or values outside of the mod that is being distributed;  Case in point.. I -did- distribute these patches for a brief while, and received numerous complaints regarding the changes to modules in the stock wheels.. not that they were broken, but merely that they were changed).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Jognt

As TS mentioned switching to 2.2.6.16 version fixed the problem, texture mod is not needed there.

BTW, I understand his concern about "complaining people who aint done sh*t", as I do some modding for skyrim myself. Still I think it's a bit of a childish approach; it's absolutely ok when someone wants to personalize his experience with a mod. After all that's the whole concept of a game mod - make the game match your taste.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Shadowmage said:

Please contact SQUAD and tell them that modders need access to ALL of their shader source files then.  Basically, SQUAD created some terrible 'icon shader' that is used when rendering icons.  They use some very hacky functions in there to boost light levels.  But they do not provide the source of these files so that acceptable alternate implementations can be developed.  I've opened multiple issue tickets on the subject, and had zero reply.

I do not have access to those shader files, and thus cannot duplicate whatever hacks they are using to boost light levels on the icons.

Until I am provided with that source -- there is no fix.  I'm not going to spend days and days trying random stuff in the hope that something works... it is neither productive, nor satisfying.

Hah, this is Squad we're talking about. I know as well as you do that it would be a pointless pursuit.
Take note that I do not expect you to fix the problem.

Plenty of people don't mind and even though no mod is perfect, most mods are of higher quality than the base game. And that's fine.

Meanwhile I can't help but feel like you're seriously overstressed. (it's the only reason I can think of to understand why you'd respond the way you do)
I wish you the best :)

 

23 minutes ago, Shadowmage said:

Indeed, they were 'done' when I uploaded them; I actually used those configs for the development of KSPWheel and all of the initial setup and testing.  Worked as far as I knew, and should still work (minus perhaps a few changes to features).

The problem is -- I don't use stock parts, nor do I feel like taking time to 'balance' the configs for stock parts that I do not use.  Moreover, I have no clue what the intended 'balance' of the stock parts is, as the information that can be extracted from the stock configs is... nonsensical at best (e.g. what is the maximum load (in N / kN) for a stock wheel before it breaks?  Where do you find that value in the stock config?  What is the maximum wheel speed?  Motor Torque?).  The values listed in the stock part configs often don't lineup with what is seen in-game, so trying to base any balance around those numerical values is difficult.

Basically -- they should work, but I don't personally want to support or distribute them, and nobody else has stepped forward offering to pick them up.  (I don't want to distribute them, because I've seen far too many issues and complaints regarding mods 'messing with stock or other mods' parts; so as a rule, I do not touch any parts or values outside of the mod that is being distributed;  Case in point.. I -did- distribute these patches for a brief while, and received numerous complaints regarding the changes to modules in the stock wheels.. not that they were broken, but merely that they were changed).

I'm considering taking them out for a comparison spin since I do use the stock parts but wish they behaved a bit better. You don't sound like you're very interested in it anymore, but I could let you know about the results. (again: if you're interested in that)

Maximum wheel speed by the way is indeed the highest value in the torqueCurve as it's where the wheel no longer produces torque and it corresponds with the ingame listed max speed. No idea with regards to the other values as I never needed to check.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it still working in 1.7.2? which version should i go for, I got to say from the screenshots i have seen the next textures are amazing but TU can be a real pain and i have tried to use it a number of times each time ending with graphical glitches, lag or ksp just not loading full stop

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, xD-FireStriker said:

Is it still working in 1.7.2? which version should i go for, I got to say from the screenshots i have seen the next textures are amazing but TU can be a real pain and i have tried to use it a number of times each time ending with graphical glitches, lag or ksp just not loading full stop

Pre-Release version available only on github for manual download works in 1.7.2. Not any major issues. Some part have mirror symmetry bug placement in SPH, but that can be workarounded if you plan your craft carefuly. Some legs might have higher default settings for spring/dumper on suspensions, but those can be easy adjusted.
Regarding textures, I have only encountered with minor issue on some part icons in SPH/VAB. Just handful of stock parts and moded parts have missing textures on icons while part itself have proper textures on craft.

I can live with those issues just fine when you look at other benefits that whole mode provide. Can't tell for someone else if mentioned are such big issues that require uninstall of mod or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, kcs123 said:

Pre-Release version available only on github for manual download works in 1.7.2. Not any major issues. Some part have mirror symmetry bug placement in SPH, but that can be workarounded if you plan your craft carefuly. Some legs might have higher default settings for spring/dumper on suspensions, but those can be easy adjusted.
Regarding textures, I have only encountered with minor issue on some part icons in SPH/VAB. Just handful of stock parts and moded parts have missing textures on icons while part itself have proper textures on craft.

I can live with those issues just fine when you look at other benefits that whole mode provide. Can't tell for someone else if mentioned are such big issues that require uninstall of mod or not.

Well here goes nothing next time i update mods to my save i will be installing the dev version and lets hope DX11 works cause OpenGL gives me the graphics glitches

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, xD-FireStriker said:

Is it still working in 1.7.2? which version should i go for, I got to say from the screenshots i have seen the next textures are amazing but TU can be a real pain and i have tried to use it a number of times each time ending with graphical glitches, lag or ksp just not loading full stop

If you don't like TU, the current version works just fine under 1.7.2 with the old models as well.  Just download the current version and replace all the model-related files with the files from the last pre-TU version.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/29/2019 at 4:50 AM, xD-FireStriker said:

Well here goes nothing next time i update mods to my save i will be installing the dev version and lets hope DX11 works cause OpenGL gives me the graphics glitches

You can also install the latest TU from here:   (  )   Notably, it no longer 'requires' DX11 or OpenGL.  Still looks just as bad under DX9 as it ever did (those are problems with DX9, and not TU), but it will let you use the old API without popping up the  warning during startup.

Now, if you actually want to _use_ TU and get the most out of it as far as the graphics it can offer, then yes, you have to use either DX11 or OpenGL-Core.


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Masoneus said:

Is there a plan to 1.7+ this mod?

Should work as-is.  The old plugin should still work with modern KSP versions.

Future updates are pending some decisions on the direction to take the artwork, and then time to act on those decisions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 7/2/2019 at 6:18 AM, Shadowmage said:

You can also install the latest TU from here:   (  )   Notably, it no longer 'requires' DX11 or OpenGL.  Still looks just as bad under DX9 as it ever did (those are problems with DX9, and not TU), but it will let you use the old API without popping up the  warning during startup.

Now, if you actually want to _use_ TU and get the most out of it as far as the graphics it can offer, then yes, you have to use either DX11 or OpenGL-Core.


 

which would you recommend OpenGL or DX11

On 7/9/2019 at 12:12 AM, Shadowmage said:

Should work as-is.  The old plugin should still work with modern KSP versions.

Future updates are pending some decisions on the direction to take the artwork, and then time to act on those decisions.

If its anything i am liking the new textures, i cant tell whats different but you have already done all this work and TU is working without shouting at people out of the box. at first i was dreading a future with the new textures but now i have made the switch i want to see the future of this mod down this path

Edited by xD-FireStriker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, xD-FireStriker said:

which would you recommend OpenGL or DX11

Either works fine for me, I don't really notice much of a difference between the two.  As long as its not DX9...

I think DX11 might have slightly higher framerates, but it is hard to tell with KSP being CPU bound most of the time.

Now, I should also mention that stock KSP has issues regardless of OpenGL or DX11 -- the stock shaders have issues with part-icons; issues that SQUAD refuses to fix (they simply respond with 'we don't support those APIs, so not fixing it, sorry').

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, xD-FireStriker said:

which would you recommend OpenGL or DX11

That highly depend on hardware and OS that you are using. Some people have better experience with DX11 while OpenGL works better for others.
If you are using Windows then try with DX11 first. Only if that does not work properly on Windows or if you are using Linux or Mac, then you may want to use OpenGL.

It is very hard to tell general rule which one works better for each machine around globe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.