[1.8.x] Kerbal Foundries -- Continued - Tracks, Wheels, and Gear

Shadowmage

KerbalFoundries - Continued

Re-inventing the wheel.  Literally.

KFLogo2.png?raw=true

This is the main release and development thread for the continuation of KerbalFoundries, originally created by Lo-Fi and Gaalidas, continued under new development with explicit permissions from the original authors and under the terms of the original licensing.

This mod adds a variety of new parts to KSP that include wheels, tracks, and anti-gravity repulsors.  For a list of features available to the wheels and tracks in this mod, please see the KSPWheels documentation ( https://github.com/shadowmage45/KSPWheel/wiki ).  Currently included are four wheel models, eight track models, three repulsor models, a single skid/ski, a single screw-drive, and three adjustable aircraft landing gear.

Tweakscale is not needed or supported for the wheel or track parts (though you should be able to have it installed without problem, the wheels will not use TS for scaling).  Scaling of the parts is accomplished through the KSPWheel plugin's native scaling support, and includes configurable scale powers for all scaled variables (rpm, load handling, motor power output) (in the in-game difficulty menu).

Many options are available and configurable through the stock in-game difficulty options menu.  Look for KSPWheel and all of the options will be under that tab, including scaling powers and damage model adjustments.

Downloads:
Releases available on Github ( https://github.com/shadowmage45/KerbalFoundries2/releases )

Issues / bug-reporting:
Report all issues through GitHub ( https://github.com/shadowmage45/KerbalFoundries2/issues ).  
Include log files, a description of the problem, and screenshots if they will help explain the problem(s).

Mod Dependencies:
Kerbal Foundries includes (bundles) the following libraries and dependencies.

Documentation:
Please see the KSPWheel wiki for information regarding the features, functions, and configuration of the PartModules ( https://github.com/shadowmage45/KSPWheel/wiki ).

Images, screenshots, examples:

<Deleted by forum updates, will return someday>

Change log:
 * Full logs --  https://github.com/shadowmage45/KerbalFoundries2/releases

Known Issues:
* Balance on parts is a bit arbitrary - can be changed based on feedback (especially the scaled balance)
* Scaling balancing is WIP - scaling powers are not finalized (motor, mass, speed, load, etc), but can be configured in the in-game configuration settings.
* GC-impacting issue when wheels are not grounded - under investigation.
* Any other issues that exist with KSPWheel (see the KSPWheel repository/issues list)

Future Plans:
* More cleanup on configs and lots of balance work.
* Additional landing leg variants.  Including a few more 'lander' styled.
* Additional landing gear variants.  Single-wheeled straight gear, multi-wheeled side-deploy gear, large cargo-airliner styled multi-wheel deployable gear.
* Recoloring configurations for TU; mask textures, normalization parameters or masks, texture set configs, and updates to the patches to enable recoloring.  These will likely be an additional texture set that utilizes the existing textures alongside the newly provided mask textures.

Legal and Licensing:
KerbalFoundries - Continued models and art assets from the original Kerbal Foundries are licensed, released, and distributed under CC-BY-NC-SA licensing as per the original license of KerbalFoundries.
Adjustable Landing Gear models and textures - originally by BahamutoD, modified and distributed under CC-BY-SA licensing as per the original license of Adjustable Landing Gear.
This mod uses the KSPWheel API for wheel-collider physics and PartModules, and redistributes it under the terms of its own license (GPL 3.0+).  Source code and license details may be found at: ( https://github.com/shadowmage45/KSPWheel ).
This mod includes and redistributes TexturesUnlimited under the terms of its own license (GPL 3.0+).  Source code and license details may be found at: ( https://github.com/shadowmage45/TexturesUnlimited )
This mod includes and redistributes ModuleManager under the terms of its own license (CC-SA). Source code and licensing details may be found at: https://github.com/sarbian/ModuleManager

Development Team:
@Shadowmage - KSPWheels coding, KF configs, model (re)rigging for legacy KF and ALG parts, PBR texturing.
@TiktaalikDreaming - Models and textures for new parts.

Credits and Acknowledgements:
@lo-fi - for the creation and development of the KerbalFoundries mod and branding, for helping figure out some of the physics used in KSPWheel, and for his continued support.
@Gaalidas - for his contribution to the development of the original KerbalFoundries and adaptation of the DustFX code and dust-camera setup.
@LitaAlto - for the spiffy new high-res KF logos
@BahamutoD - for the Adjustable Landing Gear assets and concept.
@damerell - for sanity checking on physics and math in KSPWheels development.
@blowfish - for helping figure out implementation details and tracking down bugs in the code.

- Many others on the KSPWheel thread who helped figure out some of the physics and implementation details for wheel features.

Donations:
I work on modding during my highly-contended for spare time.  If you would like to help contribute to my motivational caffeine fund, please see the button below.  This is purely optional (and highly appreciated), but can help keep me motivated and energized ( = more work getting done!).

Preview Image
Edited by Shadowmage

it's for real !!!

Spoiler

DTsycdc.png

Spoiler

Z3tuPtS.png

I get a lot of "broke from overstressing "

2 hours ago, Shadowmage said:

Many options are available and configurable through the stock in-game difficulty options menu.  Look for KSPWheel and all of the options will be under that tab, including scaling powers and damage model adjustments.

Couldn't  find the difficulty options menu (i was in a hurry and i might have missed it)....  i could use some scaling powers and damage model adjustments.

Edited by DeadOnDuna

Congrats on keeping to your intended schedule and the release.  Also congrats on the track settings,  they're almost perfect out of the box for everything I've tested  them on, from 6.5 to 65 t  they've been excellent even with my slight mod patches to slightly tweak the sizes via a model node, which is a lot less troublesome than a tweakscale cfg for some reason I've never understood.

20 minutes ago, DeadOnDuna said:

I get a lot of "broke from overstressing "

Hi it may be worth popping over to the KSPWheel thread as there is some very clear and useful  info on how the damage models work , and is worth a read for anyone using the new KF

PS and documentation! what a star,  cheers :rep:

Edited by SpannerMonkey(smce)

19 minutes ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Hi it may be worth popping over to the KSPWheel thread as there is some very clear and useful  info on how the damage models work

i follow that thread for quite some time... (old KF and KSPwheel made me  wanna  build rovers again)

i dont understand the terminology or the physics of wheels ... i just want to move sliders :P

Do you know where the difficulty options menu is ? Couldn't find it...

49 minutes ago, DeadOnDuna said:

Do you know where the difficulty options menu is ? Couldn't find it...

If you're starting a new game, click here:

screenshot_2017-01-16--12-42-56_zpsdizko

In-game, pause, click on <Settings>

screenshot103_zps9ifna1xl.png~original

and then click on <Difficulty Options>

screenshot_2017-01-16--12-44-54_zpshjclq

which will open up the panel shown in the first pic.

On Sunday, January 15, 2017 at 8:41 PM, Madrias said:

Well, if you're already planning some new parts to do later, mind adding some form of walker to that list somewhere?  Obviously, very low priority, as making everything work should come first.

A bit out of the scope of the mod.  Seems more like an IR/KOS deal.  (unless I'm misinterpreting what you mean by 'walker'; certainly a geriatrics style 'walker' would be in the wheels domain (if of questionable use in KSP), but a star-wars style 'walker' clearly is not)

22 hours ago, JediRangerkendor said:

OHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGOD

Whats the update schedule look like?

Whenever they are ready (tm).

(Generally I do releases on weekends, sat/sun, -if- whatever developments are ready for release that week; if nothing is ready, there will be no release.  If something is WIP/unstable, even if other things are ready, there will be no release.)

Likely there will be a minor update this weekend to add back in some of the missing features (sounds, dust), and fix up some configs that I missed (Tiny Track).

Edit:  BTW -- most of the 'development' news for KF will actually be posted over at the KSPWheels thread, as that is where all the plugin-level magic is decided/figured out.  Mostly the only 'development' discussion that will happen in this thread will be related to Kerbal Foundries specific part-balancing.  E.G.  There is some data/questions up on the KSPWheels thread about repulsors that is very relevant to KF (but as it is all part of the KSPWheels plugin, it is all being discussed and developed over there...).

Second Edit:
Will be added to CKAN indexing for future 'public' releases, courtesy of and thanks to @linuxgurugamer  -- first CKAN versions should be available sometime this weekend/next week.

Edited by Shadowmage

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.