[1.8.x] Kerbal Foundries -- Continued - Tracks, Wheels, and Gear

Shadowmage

Sounds like he's as bad as me.

Well, probably not. NOBODY is as bad as me... I went so far as to recompile several mods back to 1.2.2 and implement localization before I came to accept I was expending more effort sticking with 1.2.2 than if I were to just bite the bullet and switch over.

(I'm The Doctor, I'm worse than everyone's aunt!)

2 hours ago, Starwaster said:

before I came to accept I was expending more effort sticking with 1.2.2 than if I were to just bite the bullet and switch over.

^^This.

Yep, it is very subjective to determine a point when you need to switch to higher version. As more time pass, better mods become with latest KSP version and less and less mods provide support for older KSP. At some point, you jsut need to bite a bullet and live with it.

As a general rule of thumb, don't switch to latest KSP version in heavy moded install immediately when it becomes available, you can expect a lot of things to become broken and it will be hard to isolate is it just one mode or interaction between mods that cause issue. On the other hand, don't wait for too long to switch on latest KSP verion, there will be high chance to be on your own when comes to support.

KSP_x64_2018-02-07_20-15-28-13.jpg

Mmm. These things are great. Even if this is an old version of the game/mod. And I'm glad to see they're still in active dev, means when I get around to getting onto the latest KSP version I'll be good to go!

On 2/12/2018 at 8:37 AM, Jimbodiah said:

If you have 1.3.0, then why not just update for 1.3.1?  All mods that worked for 1.3.0 have been updated for 1.3.1. Same with 1.2 players basically, no reason not to update. The only mod that doesn't support 1.3 is RSS/RO, and that works just fine with the small patch they posted (been running it since 1.3.0).

As someone still playing on 1.2, I can say there's not much of a reason to update either. If I decide I want to restart from scratch I'll prolly do it, but I just started plans for a Moho base, and I built a rover I'm six kinds of chuffed about, so I'm in no hurry.

On 2/14/2018 at 5:37 AM, Kenobi McCormick said:

As someone still playing on 1.2, I can say there's not much of a reason to update either. If I decide I want to restart from scratch I'll prolly do it, but I just started plans for a Moho base, and I built a rover I'm six kinds of chuffed about, so I'm in no hurry.

1.3.1 runways don't have nasty spaceplane-destroying seams in them. 1.3.1 Scaled up starsystems don't have YUGE nasty spaceplane destroying seams in them :wink: 

Just now, 0111narwhalz said:

I'm not sure how Tweakscale works, but can a plugin access the scaling of a KSPWheel?

Access as in query? Yes.

[KSPField(guiName = "Scale", guiActive = false, guiActiveEditor = true, isPersistant = true, guiUnits = "x"),
         UI_FloatEdit(suppressEditorShipModified = true, minValue = 0.1f, maxValue = 10f, incrementLarge = 1f, incrementSmall = 0.25f, incrementSlide = 0.01f, sigFigs = 2)]
        public float scale = 1f;

Access as in manipulate -- umm... kind of (callback method is private) -- but you should be able to adjust the field through module.Fields["scale"].SetValue(newValue, module), which should update the callback correctly.

private void onScaleAdjusted(BaseField field, System.Object obj)
        {
            setScale(scale, true);
            foreach (Part p in part.symmetryCounterparts)
            {
                p.GetComponent<KSPWheelBase>().setScale(scale, true);
            }
        }

What exactly are you trying to do / look into?

1 minute ago, Shadowmage said:

What exactly are you trying to do / look into?

Just wondering if Tweakscale could defer to KSPWheel and act as a kind of wrapper. That way your TS config that specifies a certain collection of sizes (e.g. IR's standard sizes) would be able to affect your wheel, and the UI would be unified.

22 hours ago, 0111narwhalz said:

Just wondering if Tweakscale could defer to KSPWheel and act as a kind of wrapper. That way your TS config that specifies a certain collection of sizes (e.g. IR's standard sizes) would be able to affect your wheel, and the UI would be unified.

If you can somehow get Tweakscale to call that function when it updates scale, AND it only updates scale at appropriate times, then sure... it should work in theory.

21 hours ago, Jimbodiah said:

Will TU and Recoloring ever be an option for this mod as per SSTU? I think you mentioned you didn't have the original textures etc, but could something be done like @Manwith Noname is doing for stock parts?

Could be done, but I'm not going to.  If I were going to add recoloring (or even just PBR) support, I'll do it the right way.  Sadly, no art project files = nothing I can do about it.  I would have to redo the textures completely from scratch, including finding/making new UV maps.  Certainly nothing I have the time for now or in the foreseeable future.

@Shadowmage I was taking a look at the KSPWheelRepulsor.cs file, because I am wanting to add an engine or RealPlume effect to the repulsor, but I don't know if that would mess with the Sound Effect stuff, and I don't exactly know how I would go about it since it looks like a lot of custom code for a part.

I wanted to ask if it was even possible, and if you could point me in the right direction. I can write the code and handle it from there. :) 

2 hours ago, Chase842 said:

I wanted to ask if it was even possible, and if you could point me in the right direction.

Hmm...ummm.... maybe?

I don't really remember if I already had effects support on those parts or not, and if they were sound-fx only....  IF the EFFECTS system is already in use in those parts (I think it activates the humming sound effect?), then you could add particle effects definitions directly there.

Otherwise, no -- it would require plugin code to use the effects.  (if it currently doesn't work, please submit an issue ticket to the KSPWheels repository requesting the feature.

On 2/21/2018 at 6:50 AM, Starwaster said:

1.3.1 runways don't have nasty spaceplane-destroying seams in them. 1.3.1 Scaled up starsystems don't have YUGE nasty spaceplane destroying seams in them :wink: 

I don't have any major cracks in my runways, either, but I'll keep that in mind. 1.3.0 has the San Andreas Fault running through it. Got ya!

4 hours ago, Kenobi McCormick said:

I don't have any major cracks in my runways, either, but I'll keep that in mind. 1.3.0 has the San Andreas Fault running through it. Got ya!

It's also hard on rovers too because I prefer to deploy my rovers and mobile labs from where else? You guessed it! The runway!

I almost like the runway seams because they provide a challenging terrain. But they're a little too harsh for that.

The destroyed runway, however, is a great terrain… or would be, if the colliders and visible meshes lined up anywhere but the first couple of segments.

@Shadowmage I'm writing up some Deadly Reentry support for the deployable KF wheels and I need an animation name for each wheel that would tell me if it's deployed or retracted (that's how DR determines these things: rather than using reflection on the modules, we just look at animations and change things such as thermal related fields based on the animation status - IOW the wheels would gain better protection when closed than when open)

But looking at the wheel configs I see no mention of animation. Is there any standardized naming convention for KF wheel animations?

Updated release is available:

https://github.com/shadowmage45/KerbalFoundries2/releases/tag/2.2.3.13

Mostly just updates for KSP 1.4.  Should be no other changes.

13 hours ago, Starwaster said:

I'm writing up some Deadly Reentry support for the deployable KF wheels and I need an animation name for each wheel that would tell me if it's deployed or retracted

I'm guessing that you are referring to the ALG parts.  They don't actually have any Unity animations, the transforms are animated manually by the plugin code due to the non-uniform nature of those parts (there is no single animation that would work for all of the various setups).

3 hours ago, Shadowmage said:

I'm guessing that you are referring to the ALG parts.  They don't actually have any Unity animations, the transforms are animated manually by the plugin code due to the non-uniform nature of those parts (there is no single animation that would work for all of the various setups).

Well that's discouraging. Thanks anyway for the reply.

21 hours ago, Starwaster said:

Well that's discouraging. Thanks anyway for the reply.

One thing I might be able to do (for a future release) would be to add a 'dummy' animation to those parts through the plugin.  Basically an empty animation that I can then set the state of through plugin code, which you could query for state.  It wouldn't allow external mods/plugins to manipulate the animation, but it would allow for them to query the state, direction, and deploy percentage.

Do you think that would sufficiently solve your problems?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.