[1.8.x] Kerbal Foundries -- Continued - Tracks, Wheels, and Gear

Shadowmage

9 hours ago, Acvila said:

Shouldn't wheels be researched before rockets and planes? How can you move a Rocket to the launch pad, on logs? :) Can you make a config with wheels in a lower tech? i know this is squad idea about wheels, but i think rovers should be built before rockets.

I'm not here to rebalance the stock game.  For that you'll want something else (BTSM, RP0, etc).

(for the record, yes, I think the tech positions in stock are absurd as well, and patch/reposition the parts in my own personal games; but as stated, I'm not here to rebalance the stock system)

Managed to get the dust effects mostly working again over the weekend.  So, the next release, whenever that is, should re-add the dust effects (hoping to recompile a release for KSP 1.4.2 tonight, but no promises).

Entirely new particle system, new textures, materials, and code to glue it all together.  It is about as simple as can be currently, and there will certainly still be room for improvement in future releases, but the first step was to get it working again.

Updated release is available:

https://github.com/shadowmage45/KerbalFoundries2/releases/tag/2.2.5.15

Recompiled/repacked for KSP 1.4.2.  Also re-adds (WIP) dust-effect support.  Dust effects may well have errors that will need to be cleaned up, but were working to the extent that I tested them.  Should probably consider this to be a testing pre-release for the time being.

Please let me know what you think of the 'new' dust-effects.  There is certainly room for improvement, but I'll need to know what aspects to work on.

So I installed this mod, I am using KSP 1.3.1 and none of the wheels, tracks, and repulsors work. I can add the parts to what I am making, but the part does not function. Tracks and wheels for example do not work when I use WASD. Can someone tell me what is going on here?

Hi I have a strange request is it possible to put an attachment node on the end of the hydraulic legs where they would normally touch the ground I am trying to make an extendable antenna pole to put a dish on  and these legs look really cool

Edited by Virtualgenius

9 hours ago, Captain_Sly said:

So I installed this mod, I am using KSP 1.3.1 and none of the wheels, tracks, and repulsors work. I can add the parts to what I am making, but the part does not function. Tracks and wheels for example do not work when I use WASD. Can someone tell me what is going on here?

Try the version that is intended for KSP 1.3x...  (if you were using the latest release, it is fully expected that it would not work for KSP 1.3x, as it was compiled for the newer KSP 1.4x branch)

https://github.com/shadowmage45/KerbalFoundries2/releases/tag/2.1.2.12

2 hours ago, Virtualgenius said:

Hi I have a strange request is it possible to put an attachment node on the end of the hydraulic legs where they would normally touch the ground I am trying to make an extendable antenna pole to put a dish on  and these legs look really cool

Sorry, but no.  It is not possible to animate attachment nodes, which would be required for what you are proposing.

• 2 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, TiktaalikDreaming said:

Taking a wild guess at resultant ram use, I'm betting on, it's going to be a disaster

footprints work well and tought there are not much difference

yWVgFAQ.png

beside little glitches(after timewarp)dosnt see any huge ram cost ,but maybe iam wrong-then sorry

3 hours ago, TiktaalikDreaming said:

Taking a wild guess at resultant ram use, I'm betting on, it's going to be a disaster.  Cool idea though.

BNest not tax the system even further. KSP is the worst game in terms of memory usage and cpu load that I have ever played.

Feature request : Would it be possible to simulate direction and drive of KF wheels while still in SPH/VAB editor ? Some kind of "simulate" button that activates all wheels in editor (if not stowed, with slowed down drive rotation so player sees if direction is ok). Similar to Infernal Robotics Servo Control. That way player can see how wheels / tracks turn, so tweaking wheels does not become editor - flight - editor - flight-... testing we have now.

11 hours ago, Jimbodiah said:

BNest not tax the system even further. KSP is the worst game in terms of memory usage and cpu load that I have ever played.

It's the @$%$#@%!@$%¨#$@%¨Mono. God damned half baked of a VM, and I can't say more without breaking some forum rules.

Java would be a better technical decision, but I don't blame them for going Mono since Oracle took over. No one, in his sanity, would want to stick with Oracle if there's any, absolutely any alternative.

On 4/28/2018 at 9:02 AM, fatcargo said:

Feature request : Would it be possible to simulate direction and drive of KF wheels while still in SPH/VAB editor ? Some kind of "simulate" button that activates all wheels in editor (if not stowed, with slowed down drive rotation so player sees if direction is ok). Similar to Infernal Robotics Servo Control. That way player can see how wheels / tracks turn, so tweaking wheels does not become editor - flight - editor - flight-... testing we have now.

As @Virtualgenius pointed out -- that feature already exists on the parts in the mod.  Click  the 'display fwd rotation' button, and the wheels will start to rotate in their own 'forward' direction while in the editor.

(note that is only for motor, and there is not (yet) any equivalent for steering)

On 4/28/2018 at 3:53 AM, TiktaalikDreaming said:

Taking a wild guess at resultant ram use, I'm betting on, it's going to be a disaster.  Cool idea though.

I've seen that screenshot tossed around a few times, and think it is a cool idea.  One that I'de look into if I had the time.  Would be neat to be able to see where you've driven.  (so maybe sometime down the road)

How bad it is for performance would depend entirely on how it was implemented.  In theory it could be done almost entirely on the GPU, rendering as a type of particle effect.

thanks for pointing out the direction helper, now if only "turn" indicator would get added too ... Though i have to stress that doing "global" control via KF toolbar icon (stock/blizzy/etc...) would be better. Activate, look at wheels, tweak, turn off. One button to run them all :)

A side note : is there a modeling tut for KF wheels/tracks ? Something with vanilla models in fbx that i can import and and have a look at ?

4 hours ago, anarkhon said:

You using .PNG textures (and currently a lot of modmakers) why? :)

1.) Because I am not the original author of the parts/textures.  They came as .png, so I left them as such.

2.) DDS textures often look terrible, especially on parts with a lot of blacks and grays (e.g. KF's parts).  DDS compression adds lots of purple/green artifacts to KF's textures, and they end up looking terrible.

If you think you have a solution to #2, please speak up, I'm all ears.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.