[1.8.x] Kerbal Foundries -- Continued - Tracks, Wheels, and Gear

Shadowmage

33 minutes ago, 0111narwhalz said:

That would be optimal. It is very important that you do not paste it directly into the forums here, as that will cause problems to the forums; instead, put it somewhere else and then link to it.

If possible, please do the absolute minimum of activity to cause the problem. This will minimize the size of the log and make it easier for me to find your problem. Reducing the number of mods (I note that you have several in your toolbar in the video) will also help for this.

Funny as soon as I removed all the mods (except Kerbal Foundries and KSP), everything became normal. Some of the mods make the game bad.

https://pastebin.com/wL556YwR

Just now, Briso said:

I'm already working on it. Thanks for help !

Not a problem.
The big thing to check for: repeated NullReferenceExceptions. They should have a stacktrace which will identify the assembly from which they were emitted, which will help in identifying the mod responsible. A good search term to catch all the errors is "[ERR "; this term will highlight only the log entries which are identified as errors.

Also, check for anomalies in your ModuleManager installation. There should be exactly one version, located on its own in your GameData directory. Some mods bundle them oddly, so you might find an unexpected instance somewhere. Modern versions of MM should silence themselves if they detect newer versions, but it looks like you have a lot of different versions installed, and you might be hitting an edge case. MM errors shouldn't cause any significant problems after loading, but it's still good practice to clean them up.

28 minutes ago, 0111narwhalz said:

Not a problem.
The big thing to check for: repeated NullReferenceExceptions. They should have a stacktrace which will identify the assembly from which they were emitted, which will help in identifying the mod responsible. A good search term to catch all the errors is "[ERR "; this term will highlight only the log entries which are identified as errors.

Also, check for anomalies in your ModuleManager installation. There should be exactly one version, located on its own in your GameData directory. Some mods bundle them oddly, so you might find an unexpected instance somewhere. Modern versions of MM should silence themselves if they detect newer versions, but it looks like you have a lot of different versions installed, and you might be hitting an edge case. MM errors shouldn't cause any significant problems after loading, but it's still good practice to clean them up.

Then another small question, if I put a new version of MM, will work mods are not designed for the new version of ksp (ie mod has included for example MM 2.8.1) ?

Just now, Briso said:

Then another small question, if I put a new version of MM, will work mods are not designed for the new version of ksp (ie mod has included for example MM 2.8.1) ?

Mods which require MM do not need a specific version of it. It serves only to modify config files, and it will do this job more or less identically regardless of its version. The version of MM you need is the latest available for the version of KSP you are using, and no more.

Also, if you're mixing versions, you take your fate into your own hands. :P

3 minutes ago, 0111narwhalz said:

Mods which require MM do not need a specific version of it. It serves only to modify config files, and it will do this job more or less identically regardless of its version. The version of MM you need is the latest available for the version of KSP you are using, and no more.

Also, if you're mixing versions, you take your fate into your own hands. :P

OK take note:wink:

Edited by Briso

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, DirtyVenomSteam said:

Just checking before I end up making false bug reports; This works in the current version of the game due to KSPwheel being up to date, correct?

Should work either way.  Even the 'old' KSPWheel version should still work on newer KSP (it'll just complain about version mismatch; which in this single case can be ignored).

• 3 weeks later...

Overdue status update --

As I was derailed in the middle of the PBR texture reworks by the KSP 1.5 update (and needing to fix other mods that were actually broken), the new textures/models have obviously been pushed back in the timeline.  At this point I am going to try and schedule them to coincide with the release of KSP 1.6, which if going by the '3-month' update timing, should come sometime towards the end of Jan;  should be sufficient time for me to finish up the model and texture updates.

This update -will- be game/save breaking when it is released.  I had already posted warnings when I first started work on this update, but feel that it is necessary to restate the fact.  Many of the models are being changed (sizes, rotations, offset/COM), which would result in crafts using the old parts no longer functioning.  At the same time, the part.name field is being changed for the updated parts;  in the end it may be possible to run the old version of the parts and the new version side-by-side, but I can offer no guarantees and the mod will only ship with the new version of the parts.

Game breaking changings are never pleasant, but it is necessary at some point of development if you want to improve existing features and add new ones.
Considering pros/cons, it would pay off to bite a bullet and start new game when gamebreaking version of mod drops. I start new game with each major KSP update or continue playing older version of KSP and mods, so no huge damage on my side.

Using KSP 1.5.1, latest version of Kerbal Foundries and KSPWheel - the game starts lagging for noticeably really short periods at almost even intervals. When KF & KSPWheel removed - lags disappear and game runs smoothly.

Any ideas how to fix this?

1 hour ago, Horus said:

Using KSP 1.5.1, latest version of Kerbal Foundries and KSPWheel - the game starts lagging for noticeably really short periods at almost even intervals. When KF & KSPWheel removed - lags disappear and game runs smoothly.

Logs?

• 2 weeks later...

I am trying to change the dust colour, but the colour remains mostly white with only subtle glow of colour on the rim of the texture, no matter what I do - whether I edit particle texture from KSPWheel or config files of KerbalFoundries. If anyone knows a way of doing some cool red dust, please, give me an advice, I will be very grateful.

1 minute ago, SpacePixel said:

I am trying to change the dust colour, but the colour remains mostly white with only subtle glow of colour on the rim of the texture, no matter what I do - whether I edit particle texture from KSPWheel or config files of KerbalFoundries. If anyone knows a way of doing some cool red dust, please, give me an advice, I will be very grateful.

You can't edit the dust color directly.  The dust particle color is based on the color of the terrain being moved across.

Want red dust?  Try it out on Duna...

4 minutes ago, Shadowmage said:

You can't edit the dust color directly.  The dust particle color is based on the color of the terrain being moved across.

Want red dust?  Try it out on Duna...

Aww, such a pity. Thank you. I remember that the grass on Kerbin was producing some brown dust, while the texture was green. Maybe there is a way to somehow trick this script and have red dust on, say, yellow or something? 

51 minutes ago, SpacePixel said:

Aww, such a pity. Thank you. I remember that the grass on Kerbin was producing some brown dust, while the texture was green. Maybe there is a way to somehow trick this script and have red dust on, say, yellow or something? 

The issue is with custom planets.  Certainly I (or someone) could provide a giant lookup table of planetary surface coordinates and their dust colors for use on stock planets, and that data could be shipped with the mod.  How to handle mod-added planets though?

The current method, while perhaps not 100% 'correct', handles all planets the same.  It uses a camera to render the terrain near/underneath the vessel, samples the color from this rendered terrain image, and then uses this sampled color for the dust particles.  Simple, dynamic, reliable.

I'm open to suggestions, but keep in mind the issue listed above that must be solved with whatever solution is proposed (correct dust colors for arbitrary planets without the need for per-planet configs).

Bit of trivia -- the original DustFX system used to be based on biome, with a per-biome dust color specification.  It was changed to use the camera method for precisely the reason I list above -- what color to use for mod added planets/biomes, without requiring a per-mod-planet-pack set of dust color configs?

On 12/8/2018 at 6:31 PM, Horus said:

I got this too.  Running mem graph shows the mono heap allocation spiking when parts from this mod load into the world and the garbage collection subsequently runs every 10 seconds or so, hence the periodic "stutter" (it's unity doing its thing).  I can't see anything related in the logs, though I'm not an expert.  It doesn't really manifest when running the mods (Foundries+Wheel) alone, presumably as there's sufficient overhead to cover it, but when you add in a couple of parts/graphics/life support things tank rapidly.

4 minutes ago, Friznit said:

I got this too.  Running mem graph shows the mono heap allocation spiking when parts from this mod load into the world and the garbage collection subsequently runs every 10 seconds or so, hence the periodic "stutter" (it's unity doing its thing).  I can't see anything related in the logs, though I'm not an expert.  It doesn't really manifest when running the mods (Foundries+Wheel) alone, presumably as there's sufficient overhead to cover it, but when you add in a couple of parts/graphics/life support things tank rapidly.

Interesting find, and might explain why I've never noticed it before.

Certainly there is the possibility for some less-than-optimal code generating extra garbage from temporary variables; tons of 'processing' goes on with the wheels physics simulation.

The good news is that it is more than likely fixable.  If you would like to file an issue on the KSPWheel bug-tracker, including the above information on your findings, it will make sure this issues doesn't get forgotten about, and I'll do my best to investigate + clean it up for the next release.

8 minutes ago, Fireheart318 said:

Hey, um, quick question, I have a vehicle that weighs almost as much as two 747s. How do I keep the wheels from breaking? I'm using 16 KF Large Wheels if it matters.

1. Make them bigger
2. Add more
3. Switch to treads; see ① and ②

Edited by 0111narwhalz

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.