[1.8.x] Kerbal Foundries -- Continued - Tracks, Wheels, and Gear

Shadowmage

On 8/5/2019 at 2:52 PM, Shadowmage said:

Did you set the motor reverse settings appropriately for each side?

By default when using symmetry the motor for one side will be automatically inverted.  If placed separately (not using symmetry), they will both use the same motor direction (which is relative to the part), and one of the sets of wheels will be spinning backwards.  Generally though this should be much more visible when driving, as you would just spin in place.

Just trying to eliminate the simple/obvious before getting into more in-depth diagnostics.

Motor was reversed the way it should be. instead of neutral traverse it acts almost like regenerative steering, in which the entire vehicle moves forwrad but one track moves much slower than the other.

Edited by /not/pol/

I just tried this mod for the first time and my goodness, It's incredible. this is the kind of mod that makes you think "this is how it needs to be on stock". Well done indeed Shadowmage, your work is very much appreciated!

On 8/10/2019 at 4:04 PM, jokamo said:

I just tried this mod for the first time and my goodness, It's incredible. this is the kind of mod that makes you think "this is how it needs to be on stock". Well done indeed Shadowmage, your work is very much appreciated!

Glad you are enjoying it.  To be fair, I cannot take all of the credit -- the original models and textures are all from other authors ( @lo-fi, @Gaalidas, @TiktaalikDreaming ).  I'll gladly take credit for the plugin work though (the physics of how these wheels work), as that was my end of the fun :)

Yeah Kerbal Foundries is a required mod. Only wheels/tracks I use besides these are the Buffalo Grizzly wheels.

Shadowmage, did you change how much that medium wheel I like supports? I saw that it was set to 16 in my install, but not sure if my edited config is still present and doing that.

15 hours ago, vossiewulf said:

Shadowmage, did you change how much that medium wheel I like supports?

Not that I can think of, certainly not recently.

If you do have suggestions for the default max load/speed/torque values for parts at their default scales, feel free to post it up to a github ticket.  Need to do/finish a balance pass on everything at this point anyway.

I am having an issue when docking a rover in a cargo bay. There is a docking port on the base of the rover and on the floor of the bay. When the docking ports connect, all 4 tracks on the rover break and report that they are 'overstressed'.

The docking force is set to the minimum level on both ports. 

I am using the KF Medium Tracks.

Edited by Whizzkid

hopefully a quick question @Shadowmage Can I use Kerbal Wheels without the Textures Unlimited mod? I know it's not listed as a dependency but the fact that it's bundled in on github makes me think otherwise

*edit: Nevermind, just saw your post a few pages back. 

Edited by jokamo

16 hours ago, Whizzkid said:

I am having an issue when docking a rover in a cargo bay. There is a docking port on the base of the rover and on the floor of the bay. When the docking ports connect, all 4 tracks on the rover break and report that they are 'overstressed'.

The docking force is set to the minimum level on both ports. 

I am using the KF Medium Tracks.

Is this a craft file that you could share? (or files I suppose as it involves multiple craft)  Preferably stock + KF parts only?

I've had a few reports of oddities with cargo bays before, but I've never been able to reproduce them; I've also never had someone be able to provide me a craft that had the issues though, and my designs likely don't hit the same problems.

One thing of note -- KSPWheel always has the equivalent of 'same vessel interaction' enabled, so ideally, when the rover is 'docked' you want the tracks to be fully suspended / in the air, and unable to touch any other part of the craft.  Otherwise, the tracks will push on the craft itself, which could easily cause breaking problems if the joint on the docking port was stronger than the suspension's max load value.

3 hours ago, jokamo said:

Can I use Kerbal Wheels without the Textures Unlimited mod?

You can continue to use the older releases if you don't want TexturesUnlimited.  They will not be receiving any continued support or updates, but they should work for the foreseeable future; they should even continue to work with updated versions of the KSPWheel plugin.

All future releases will have TexturesUnlimited as a required dependency.

8 hours ago, EnderKid2 said:

The bogies are jammed.

The models were not created with the ability to have bogey movement on that axis.  Not something that I can solve without redoing the entire model (and plugin).

Long story:  Those are AdustableLandingGear models, created by @BahamutoD many years back.  When they got merged in with KF, I took the existing models and textures, and wrote a new plugin to make them work with modern KSP.  At no point have I attempted to 'fix' any of the issues with the original models, nor do I have any such intentions for the future.  Not my models to fix.

Edited by Shadowmage

• 2 weeks later...

My grav repulsors are not able to stay activated, they will briefly come on, then shut down.

To test, I made a 3 ton craft with 4 repulsors and two 4k batteries. the repulsors won't stay on even with plenty of power left. If I enable infinite electricity in cheats, they WILL stay on.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Bunch of mods, including KSPI.

51 minutes ago, proteasome said:

My grav repulsors are not able to stay activated, they will briefly come on, then shut down.

To test, I made a 3 ton craft with 4 repulsors and two 4k batteries. the repulsors won't stay on even with plenty of power left. If I enable infinite electricity in cheats, they WILL stay on.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Bunch of mods, including KSPI.

what batteries are you using? Maybe there's no flow to the repulsors? I forget, do they have a resource flow button in the PAW? (to show the path that resources will feed to). If so, click that and see if power is getting held up somewhere.

Maybe there's a part that has crossfeed disabled

1 hour ago, proteasome said:

What version of the mod are you using?  There was an issue with that a few versions back, but it should have been corrected in all recent releases.

4 hours ago, Starwaster said:

what batteries are you using? Maybe there's no flow to the repulsors? I forget, do they have a resource flow button in the PAW? (to show the path that resources will feed to). If so, click that and see if power is getting held up somewhere.

Maybe there's a part that has crossfeed disabled

I'm using the stock 4k batteries. There is no resource flow PAW button either on batteries or the repulsors. 

The repulsors are attached directly to the batteries, so it's not a crossfeed issue

3 hours ago, Shadowmage said:

What version of the mod are you using?  There was an issue with that a few versions back, but it should have been corrected in all recent releases.

I'm using 2.3.7.17. Did a fresh install prior to posting this, but still having the same problem. I'm running KSP version 1.7.3

18 hours ago, proteasome said:

I'm using 2.3.7.17. Did a fresh install prior to posting this, but still having the same problem. I'm running KSP version 1.7.3

Thanks for the confirmation and info.  Are there any errors in the log-file?

I'm pretty sure that I had fixed the issue, but there is a chance it was only fixed in KSPWheel and the update didn't make it into KerbalFoundries, so I'm going to do some testing to verify.  You can also try and update your KSPWheel manually, by installing from the following -- https://github.com/shadowmage45/KSPWheel/releases/tag/15.13.32

Will let you know what I find out :)

1 hour ago, proteasome said:

The updated KSPWheel solved the problem I was having! Thanks!

Sweet, good to know I wasn't imagining things :)

(I guess I need to finally finish the balance patch and push an official KF update...)

I've got a problem, where wheels run nice and smoothly on the ground, but once the vehicle is few hundred meters off the ground, game starts stuttering heavily, stopping every few seconds, but when the vehicle descends to the ground again, game picks up and run smoothly again.

13 hours ago, Shadowmage said:

(I guess I need to finally finish the balance patch and push an official KF update...)

Yep, that would be a good idea, even if you didn't finished everything that you want for a release. There is a lot of fixes in pre-release versions that a lot of people miss that even exist. So, with more complete release, people would (hopefully) only complain about things that are really need fix. Much less time wasted on figuring out what user use what version of KF or KSP wheel.

Hey,

I'm getting this Errors in my logs:

190831T164754.942 [ERROR] [PartReader.ReadTextures] Texture 'KerbalFoundries/Assets/LOFI_Apuu1tex' not found!
190831T164754.945 [ERROR] [PartReader.ReadTextures] Texture 'KerbalFoundries/Assets/LOFI_Apuu1_NRM' not found!
190831T164754.950 [ERROR] [PartReader.ReadTextures] Texture 'KerbalFoundries/Assets/LOFI_Apuu1Emis' not found!
190831T164754.954 [ERROR] [PartReader.ReadTextures] Texture 'KerbalFoundries/Assets/chrome light scratch' not found!
190831T164754.959 [ERROR] [PartReader.ReadTextures] Texture 'KerbalFoundries/Assets/apuspinner' not found!

Are they a problem?

My Logs: https://www.tancredi.nl/downloads/logs.zip

Do you need more information?

19 hours ago, N3N said:

Hey,

I'm getting this Errors in my logs:

Are they a problem?

My Logs: https://www.tancredi.nl/downloads/logs.zip

Do you need more information?

Hello,

I did more research and found that:

These Errors exists, because the files aren't in the newest (2.3.7.17) download-file on github.

So others should have the same errors, too.

But I found them in the older version (2.2.6.16).

So it is better to use the older version with KSP 1.7.3 and both DLCs, or is it better to use the newest version?

I just wanted to help and wanted to ask, how to deal with this errors.

---

Sorry for my english, it's only my third language.

Edited by N3N

• 4 weeks later...

Hey shadowmage, just wanted to say that I love the mod.

I also found the problem with wheels and tracks moving in different directions until I figured it out on my own. Maybe add to the description of the wheels and treads "When placed individually, and not in symmetry mode, please reverse the traction of wheels on the right side" The only reason that note needs in there is that there are a few major popular mods like Lynx (Feline Utility Rovers) in which you can't place wheels on both sides in symmetry (unless my game is having some mod conflicts not letting me).

Keep up the good work, and I totally get it if you need a break from time to time.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.