[1.8.x] Kerbal Foundries -- Continued - Tracks, Wheels, and Gear

Shadowmage

31 minutes ago, Lisias said:

It's something borking, without any doubt. However, it's plain possible that such Borker would be borking due something else borking "on the right time", triggering some misbehaviour on the stack, and then we have a Screaming Victim and not a Perpetrator.

Even Squad's Modules can kill the loading thread if you induce them to bork the right way on the right time, so it's not a "outdated mods" problem - they are just the preferred victims.

I agree ... the extension method that worked in KSP 1.7.3 I was using to hook into Physics Range Extender doesn't work properly in KSP 1.8.1

I can see they type and class but unable to hook the functions in the extension method I put in PRE ... worked perfectly in 1.7.3

Kind of a curious situation since the extension method I put into Hull Breach is apparently working ... it grabs the hotpoint data from BDAc and sinks ships fine from the reports I have received 

Odd situation indeed

1 hour ago, sarbian said:

For now what I would like to see is what the last ModuleManager report on those installs. Just update MM and wait for the extension load. It should display a message in the lower part of the screen (and the log)

I can send the log files if you want to investigate the whole log yourself, but MJ is mostly catching KSP Wheel.dll ... I also got some different errors but mostly this, with the reflection error, saying;

[ERR 23:23:16.799] MechJeb caught a ReflectionTypeLoadException. Those DLL are not built for this KSP version:

[ERR 23:23:16.800] KSPWheel 0.0.0.0 GameData\KSPWheel\Plugin\KSPWheel.dll

Which is the thing I was most afraid of, because 100% of my crafts have "Kerbal Foundries" parts on them.

I was able to play the game fine and prevent crashes using the method @Azic Minar mentioned and helped me via PM.

On 10/25/2019 at 9:59 AM, Azic Minar said:

That sounds like the problem I was having. I removed KSPWheelDustEffects from the cfg file of the wheels and it went away.

But even though the dust effects aren't used in this method, I believe the DLL reference is enough to halt the loading, along with MJ installation at present.

I was in denial of uninstalling KF and trying without it, because like I said this mod and it's wheel parts are a must for my gameplay and my humongous crafts, along with @Lisias's lovely maintained tweakscale of course...

Yes... Even those wheels are not big enough for me.... :cool:(Although I believe they have their own sizing options)

Anyways, I guess there's nothing left for me to do but merely look forward for an update for this lovely mod.

14 minutes ago, Problemless Mods Wanter said:

I can send the log files if you want to investigate the whole log yourself, but MJ is mostly catching KSP Wheel.dll ... I also got some different errors but mostly this, with the reflection error, saying;

Which is the thing I was most afraid of, because 100% of my crafts have "Kerbal Foundries" parts on them.

I was able to play the game fine and prevent crashes using the method @Azic Minar mentioned and helped me via PM.

But even though the dust effects aren't used in this method, I believe the DLL reference is enough to halt the loading, along with MJ installation at present.

I was in denial of uninstalling KF and trying without it, because like I said this mod and it's wheel parts are a must for my gameplay and my humongous crafts, along with @Lisias's lovely maintained tweakscale of course...

Yes... Even those wheels are not big enough for me.... :cool:(Although I believe they have their own sizing options)

Anyways, I guess there's nothing left for me to do but merely look forward for an update for this lovely mod.

One: Thank you.

Two: The lack of scaling wheel strength goes along with other issues that pop up with tweaksale (scaling a module that holds kerbals doesn't increase or decrease how many you can have inside). But that doesn't mean there aren't other ways around that. I've created a few crafts ... needless to say, I have blown many treads out on crafts that should be light enough to not have that happen.

Three: Yes, removing MechJeb allowed me to continue play with KF and TweakScale

43 minutes ago, Problemless Mods Wanter said:

Without MechJeb KSPWheel is working just fine, no log errors, no weird behavior of landing gear. Kerbal Foundries reports about missing textures for some tracks but it isn't gamebraking.

2 hours ago, Problemless Mods Wanter said:

[ERR 23:23:16.799] MechJeb caught a ReflectionTypeLoadException. Those DLL are not built for this KSP version:

[ERR 23:23:16.800] KSPWheel 0.0.0.0 GameData\KSPWheel\Plugin\KSPWheel.dll

I was able to play the game fine and prevent crashes using the method @Azic Minar mentioned and helped me via PM

Great, it works as intended then. And I am not surprised that  KSPWheel has the problem since it includes code that uses the now removed legacy particles. 

1 hour ago, Azic Minar said:

Two: The lack of scaling wheel strength goes along with other issues that pop up with tweaksale (scaling a module that holds kerbals doesn't increase or decrease how many you can have inside). But that doesn't mean there aren't other ways around that. I've created a few crafts ... needless to say, I have blown many treads out on crafts that should be light enough to not have that happen.

Three: Yes, removing MechJeb allowed me to continue play with KF and TweakScale

Two: TweakScale 2.5 BETA scales Wheels correctly. Jammer-TD give them a hell of a bashing and sent me the logs (he uses a good ammount of Add'Ons), and this assuring me that 2.5 is way safer to be used now that it was on the beginning of the year, so you can expect Wheels Scaling for sure on then Mainstream this year for sure. I just don't tell you you can use TS 2.5 *right now* because other things can change yet, and so the next build of the TS 2.5 Beta will break your savegames - in special, the patches to Serenity (all the two of them! :sticktongue:) should be considered Alpha.

If you wanna try it, it's on the Issue #42 - I'm beta testing it on an Issue to prevent people downloading it by accident from the Releases.

Three: You have removed the Screaming Victim, but yet… If it solved the problem by now, so it solved your problem at all. But I will not let this cool down, as soon as my time allows I will put my dirty pawns on this problem. I don't think it's TS the trigger of the problem, but I can rule it out for sure neither - if I can induce a Stock Module to bork the gaming load, anyone can do the same to TS too. As I rule out TS (or not! :P ), I will check KF the same way.

Now we know what can be happening - everything is way easier. I know where to look!

19 hours ago, Lisias said:

Two: TweakScale 2.5 BETA scales Wheels correctly. Jammer-TD give them a hell of a bashing and sent me the logs (he uses a good ammount of Add'Ons), and this assuring me that 2.5 is way safer to be used now that it was on the beginning of the year, so you can expect Wheels Scaling for sure on then Mainstream this year for sure. I just don't tell you you can use TS 2.5 *right now* because other things can change yet, and so the next build of the TS 2.5 Beta will break your savegames - in special, the patches to Serenity (all the two of them! :sticktongue:) should be considered Alpha.

If you wanna try it, it's on the Issue #42 - I'm beta testing it on an Issue to prevent people downloading it by accident from the Releases.

Three: You have removed the Screaming Victim, but yet… If it solved the problem by now, so it solved your problem at all. But I will not let this cool down, as soon as my time allows I will put my dirty pawns on this problem. I don't think it's TS the trigger of the problem, but I can rule it out for sure neither - if I can induce a Stock Module to bork the gaming load, anyone can do the same to TS too. As I rule out TS (or not! :P ), I will check KF the same way.

Now we know what can be happening - everything is way easier. I know where to look!

The only problem with TS and KF is the upscaling of durability, but since its in Beta, that is close to being solved, Thank you Lisias.

The only other problem is what ever is causing problems with Kerbal Foundries is this:

MODULE
{
    name = KSPWheelDustEffects
}

My extensive testing found that in a stock (+offical DLC + CTT + KSPwheel +KF +MM) game, I didn't have isuues. After adding in WBI, I had issues above 200m/s while moving through the air or space. In space its the least problematic, so I think that KSPWheelDustEffects is either the cause, or the Screaming Victim. This was back in 1.7.3 so I have no idea how it would act now if I put that back in.

Additional Details:

I had a slew of issues pop up in the debug menue when I brought it up and none after removing that module. Now I haven't gotten back to doing a fresh install to get the log for Shadowmage (Destiny 2 Shadowkeep and life are getting in the way of brain time needed for this level of figuring, sorry man. Still love the mod and the work you put in). But I do want to do a better testing job from the ground up. 

Edited by Azic Minar
More details and fuzzy memory resulted in not recording stuff correctly

On 11/16/2019 at 4:04 PM, sarbian said:

Great, it works as intended then. And I am not surprised that  KSPWheel has the problem since it includes code that uses the now removed legacy particles. 

I thought I had gotten rid of all of the legacy particle related code (back in KSP 1.6 era?) -- was there still some hanging out that you ran into somewhere?

2 hours ago, Shadowmage said:

I thought I had gotten rid of all of the legacy particle related code (back in KSP 1.6 era?) -- was there still some hanging out that you ran into somewhere?

I replied in the other thread but the short version is that you left the old code in KSPWheelDustEffectsOld and it is still included in the DLL.

18 minutes ago, sarbian said:

I replied in the other thread but the short version is that you left the old code in KSPWheelDustEffectsOld and it is still included in the DLL.

Yep, thanks.  That would be the culprit, and should be easy enough to fix up (should be able to remove that entire file).

Will make sure to get this fixed up for the next releases.

KSPWheel recompiled dev-test version is available:

https://github.com/shadowmage45/KSPWheel/blob/dev/GameData/KSPWheel/Plugin/KSPWheel.dll?raw=true

Grab the DLL and replace your existing one; all existing configs/etc should continue to work, but this release should clean up any particle-system related errors (and/or other errors related to the changes in the Unity API).

NOTE:  No testing has been done, simply fixing the compile errors and library references.  It should work, but no guarantees.

23 hours ago, Shadowmage said:

KSPWheel recompiled dev-test version is available:

https://github.com/shadowmage45/KSPWheel/blob/dev/GameData/KSPWheel/Plugin/KSPWheel.dll?raw=true

Grab the DLL and replace your existing one; all existing configs/etc should continue to work, but this release should clean up any particle-system related errors (and/or other errors related to the changes in the Unity API).

NOTE:  No testing has been done, simply fixing the compile errors and library references.  It should work, but no guarantees.

I made a quick test using stock KSP 1.8.1 + Foundries.

The mod seems to be spamming null exception errors in 3 specific situations:

• Standing on the runway (gears, wheels and tracks)
  • In flight  (any part)
  • On pause/resume game (any part)

These are the most common error origins I found in the output log:

• KSPWheel.KSPWheelDustEffects.OnDestroy ()
  • KSPWheel.KSPWheelDustEffects.onOriginShift (Vector3d o, Vector3d n)
  • KSPWheel.KSPWheelDustEffects.setupDustEmitters ()
  • KSPWheel.KSPWheelRepulsor.postWheelCreated ()
  • KSPWheel.ParticleSystemExtensions.ext_setEmissionEnable (UnityEngine.ParticleSystem ps, System.Boolean value)

The Output Log: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ehDBtDyVwHcrFiecMYA7F7KwjWppNbUo

9 minutes ago, GFX5000i said:

I made a quick test using stock KSP 1.8.1 + Foundries.

The mod seems to be spamming null exception errors in 3 specific situations:

• Standing on the runway (gears, wheels and tracks)
  • In flight  (any part)
  • On pause/resume game (any part)

[...]

Thanks much for the testing and log output.  Sounds like I'll have to do some in-depth debugging to find where the issue lies, as there have otherwise been zero changes to the KF codebase.

Hoping to get some free time this weekend to do some real modding work, and htis is likely near the front of the work queue.

19 minutes ago, Shadowmage said:

Thanks much for the testing and log output.  Sounds like I'll have to do some in-depth debugging to find where the issue lies, as there have otherwise been zero changes to the KF codebase.

Hoping to get some free time this weekend to do some real modding work, and htis is likely near the front of the work queue.

You will have to re export the asset bundles with a Unity 2019.2.2. And Shaders names changed so you need to fix them (Adding "Legacy Shaders/" in front usually does the trick). 

It is likely that this covers all the required changes.

Edited by sarbian

1 minute ago, sarbian said:

You will have to re export the asset bundles with a Unity 2019.2.2. And Shaders names changed so you need to fix them (Adding "Legacy Shaders/" in front usually does the trick). 

It is likely that this covers all the required changes.

Wish I could give more than 1 like for that.

Yep, that is likely the culprit -- need to rebuild the asset bundles for the new Unity version, and fix up any other refs that were broken (shaders, etc).

Thanks again for the info; been a bit out-of-touch with KSP development as of late, and going to take some time to work back into things.

1 hour ago, Shadowmage said:

Wish I could give more than 1 like for that.

Yep, that is likely the culprit -- need to rebuild the asset bundles for the new Unity version, and fix up any other refs that were broken (shaders, etc).

Thanks again for the info; been a bit out-of-touch with KSP development as of late, and going to take some time to work back into things.

Searching the Dev branch on the Github I found 3 places with references to shaders that are now in "Legacy Shaders/" like @sarbian mentioned.
I changed, compiled and tested. No more errors in the debug.

• KSPWheelVesselDebug.setupDebugRenderers() line 236
  • KSPWheelRepulsor.postWheelCreated() line 144
  • KSPWheelDustEffects.setupDustEmitters() line 186

On another topic(s):

- Two legs are named as "KF Folding Hydralic Leg" :confused:

- I noticed two leg types deploy/retract too fast (with the exception of the folding leg). A vessel on the ground can hop quite high with that or be stuck on the ground. Using the deploy speed of the leg extension/angle might be optimal.

- Suggestion: Animate when changing the leg's angle/extension to avoid similar "hops".

Just to confirm - reading the last bit of this thread after getting the freeze-on-load with 1.8, I understand that currently MechJeb and KF won't co-exist right now, but there might be a fix at some point? :)

(My current ongoing save won't really survive without either!)

8 hours ago, ChrisF0001 said:

Just to confirm - reading the last bit of this thread after getting the freeze-on-load with 1.8, I understand that currently MechJeb and KF won't co-exist right now, but there might be a fix at some point? :)

(My current ongoing save won't really survive without either!)

From what I understand, MechJeb won't co-exist with 1.8 until it gets updated/recompiled/whateverelseneedsdone. Once @Shadowmage finishes their work, KF will work just fine without my work around. Just give them time. Coding can take a while to find all the bugs, and even then you might not find them all.

Unfortunately we can't send food and drink through the forum to show support to these awesome people who build these mods

Edited by Azic Minar
Didn't want to sound like MJ will never get updated

9 hours ago, Azic Minar said:

From what I understand, MechJeb won't co-exist with 1.8 until it gets updated/recompiled/whateverelseneedsdone. Once @Shadowmage finishes their work, KF will work just fine without my work around. Just give them time. Coding can take a while to find all the bugs, and even then you might not find them all.

Unfortunately we can't send food and drink through the forum to show support to these awesome people who build these mods

MechJeb is already updated to 1.8.x...

12 hours ago, Azic Minar said:

Is that the workaround of removing the KSPWheelDustEffects module?  I had the impression that was to resolve a performance issue rather than the lockup on load.

Still, I am certainly content to wait for the moment, as a software engineer myself I am quite aware of how bugs are... particularly bugs introduced from elsewhere! :) 

Updated dev version is available:

• Fixes shader references to use the 'LegacyShaders/XXX' shader names.  Will update to use the equivalent newer shaders as time permits.
  • Tested to work under KSP 1.8.1; loads properly without any new/unexpected errors, and dust-effects work while in-flight.

Updated DLL is available from the dev branch, direct download link:  https://github.com/shadowmage45/KSPWheel/blob/dev/GameData/KSPWheel/Plugin/KSPWheel.dll?raw=true

I'll be doing some further testing this evening/this week, and package and publish an actual release if it all appears to be working.

2 hours ago, Shadowmage said:

Updated dev version is available:

• Fixes shader references to use the 'LegacyShaders/XXX' shader names.  Will update to use the equivalent newer shaders as time permits.
  • Tested to work under KSP 1.8.1; loads properly without any new/unexpected errors, and dust-effects work while in-flight.

Updated DLL is available from the dev branch, direct download link:  https://github.com/shadowmage45/KSPWheel/blob/dev/GameData/KSPWheel/Plugin/KSPWheel.dll?raw=true

I'll be doing some further testing this evening/this week, and package and publish an actual release if it all appears to be working.

cool. yes it is loading now without stuck together with mechjeb. thx

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.