[1.8.x] Kerbal Foundries -- Continued - Tracks, Wheels, and Gear

Shadowmage

2 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

Can I assume [KSPWheelAdjustableGear], covers the function of [KSPWheelDeployment], and thats why the ALG dont have that additional module?

Yes, pretty much exactly that.

2 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

And are there *any* gear that would use [KSPWheelAdjustableGear], which *are not* deployable? vOv

Currently no, and nothing planned.  That module was written specifically for those parts.  Everything that currently uses KSPWHeelAdjustableGear PartModule will have some form of deployment sequence.

I should note (though not likely important for your inquiry), that the KSPWheelAdjustableGear module doesn't actually use a Unity Animation, but rather drives all of the transforms procedurally from the module code based on the current user configured values.

22 hours ago, Shadowmage said:

(fixed .craft file:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/vj3d670nyiq8qz0/Mun Rover Tester-fixed.craft?dl=0  )

Note: the position of the Kerbal will also effect traction to some small degree; if there is only a Kerbal in the left-hand seat, you'll get more traction on the left wheels, though not nearly to the degree noted above.

yeah I accounted for the kerbals position and weight, one center seat if only one kerbal, a pair of seats if 2 kerbals.

the fixed craft file does indeed drive much better, and doesn't pull to one side. it is oddly reversed, so when i try and go forward, it drives backwards, but I can flip the seats around and put a small rover control point on the back of the rover body to drive it 'correctly' if unmanned, so no worries. thanks for the help!

14 minutes ago, xD-FireStriker said:

Has anyone tested if this still works in 1.9?

I haven't run into any problems so far. I've got a rover on the Mun using KF wheels, and it's moving around fine. was able to launch several planes with KF wheels also. Make a backup of your saves to be safe, but I've not had any problems. The only mod I've run into {that I use} that completely broke going from 1.8 to 1.9 is real chutes.

Edited by vardicd

11 minutes ago, vardicd said:

I haven't run into any problems so far. I've got a rover on the Mun using KF wheels, and it's moving around fine. was able to launch several planes with KF wheels also. Make a backup of your saves to be safe, but I've not had any problems. The only mod I've run into {that I use} that completely broke going from 1.8 to 1.9 is real chutes.

Good to know. This is always a fun time for all modders and mod users, and with large modlists the question of "which mod is broken now?" gets FUN. 

14 minutes ago, vardicd said:

I saw your post in real chute mentioning how its broken

Just now, Dep_Opt said:

Good to know. This is always a fun time for all modders and mod users, and with large modlists the question of "which mod is broken now?" gets FUN. 

FUN is not the word I would use. My room-mate has learned to avoid me like the plague for a few days when I say KSP updated. :sticktongue:

Textures fail to load for all wheels in pack, except the adjustable ones landing geAR.  I'm going to start troubleshooting this. Is anyone experiencing similiar?

[LOG 10:10:10.192] MiniAVC -> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at MiniAVC.AddonInfo.get_IsKspExcludedVersion () [0x00001] in <669ac0e3cc9f4fba86454305e79b777d>:0 
  at MiniAVC.IssueGui.DrawNotCompatible () [0x00036] in <669ac0e3cc9f4fba86454305e79b777d>:0 
  at MiniAVC.IssueGui.Window (System.Int32 id) [0x00009] in <669ac0e3cc9f4fba86454305e79b777d>:0 

Mod DLLs found:
Stock assembly: Assembly-CSharp v0.0.0.0
ModuleManager v4.1.3.0
KSPWheel v0.0.0.0
BackgroundResources v1.8.0.0
Stock assembly: KSPSteamCtrlr v0.0.1.35
MiniAVC v1.3.1.0
TacLifeSupport v0.14.0.0 / v0.14.0

16 minutes ago, WhitestWizard said:

[LOG 10:10:10.192] MiniAVC

Find and delete all MiniAVC dlls. This dll comes with many mods and multiple MiniAVCs cause problems. Textures are missing if you use an old version with stockalike textures in DXT3 format or a new version using TexturesUnlimited but TexturesUnlimited is not installed.

3 hours ago, WhitestWizard said:

Textures fail to load for all wheels in pack, except the adjustable ones landing geAR.  I'm going to start troubleshooting this. Is anyone experiencing similiar?

[LOG 10:10:10.192] MiniAVC -> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at MiniAVC.AddonInfo.get_IsKspExcludedVersion () [0x00001] in <669ac0e3cc9f4fba86454305e79b777d>:0 
  at MiniAVC.IssueGui.DrawNotCompatible () [0x00036] in <669ac0e3cc9f4fba86454305e79b777d>:0 
  at MiniAVC.IssueGui.Window (System.Int32 id) [0x00009] in <669ac0e3cc9f4fba86454305e79b777d>:0 

Mod DLLs found:
Stock assembly: Assembly-CSharp v0.0.0.0
ModuleManager v4.1.3.0
KSPWheel v0.0.0.0
BackgroundResources v1.8.0.0
Stock assembly: KSPSteamCtrlr v0.0.1.35
MiniAVC v1.3.1.0
TacLifeSupport v0.14.0.0 / v0.14.0

You are missing the TexturesUnlimited dependency.  Should have been included in the installation package.

30 minutes ago, Shadowmage said:

You are missing the TexturesUnlimited dependency.  Should have been included in the installation package.

Hmm... TU doesnt seem to be listed as a dendency in the OP? vOv

Also, Shadowmage, if peeps are quite frequently reporting issues that are due to simply not having the dependencies installed, maybe adding a note/link recommending MADLAD in the OP along with the listed dependencies, might help headoff some of these posts? vOv
Especially since MiniAVC can no longer be relied on... vOv

Edited by Stone Blue

Thank you, everyone that tried to asist me. I installed KF through CKAN  which also installed Kerbal Wheel as a dependency, but not Textures unlimited. 

I noticed this when I downloaded KF from github and everything is working as intended.

Thank you. 

Edited by WhitestWizard

23 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

Hmm... TU doesnt seem to be listed as a dendency in the OP? vOv

Strange, as I know I updated the OP when I was posting the 'update available' message.  I specifically remember fixing the 'includes module manger' line to actually be compliant with requirements...  Odd, it must have dumped it/discarded changes when I posted the update msg (was working on them in the same browser tab, yuck).

As long as the -package- contains the dependency -- why would someone not install it?

1 minute ago, WhitestWizard said:

through CKAN

Oh, nvm.  Just CKAN doing its usual thing to make me hate life.  Nothing to see here.  Is there a way to de-list all of my stuff from CKAN?

2 minutes ago, WhitestWizard said:

Thank you, everyone that tried to asist me. I installed KF through CKANm which also installed Kerbal Wheel as a dependency, but not Textures unlimited. 

I noticed this when I downloaded KF from github and everything is working as intended.

Thank youy. 

Glad that sorted it out for you :)

41 minutes ago, Shadowmage said:

As long as the -package- contains the dependency -- why would someone not install it?

vOv no idea... but then i have no idea why people also never seem to actually *READ* anything important in a mods' thread OP, and then take the time to write out a complaint on why the mod doesnt *werk*... :lol:

44 minutes ago, Shadowmage said:

Oh, nvm.  Just CKAN doing its usual thing to make me hate life.  Nothing to see here.  Is there a way to de-list all of my stuff from CKAN?

Yes, you can request each of your mods to be de-listed/frozen...
But you'll probably end up with lots of complaints, then, about not being able to install via CKAN :P (catch-22)

Maybe @HebaruSan will be kind enuff to chime in, on how to properly fix your NETKAN files? vOv

1 hour ago, Stone Blue said:

But you'll probably end up with lots of complaints, then, about not being able to install via CKAN

I don't see that as my problem; I've never requested that my mods were added to CKAN, not sure how they got there or why, and as such I offer zero support for CKAN related issues.  I would have a different view on it if it was a system integrated into KSP; but as a completely optional third-party system? Not my problem to support or deal with any issues it may cause.

15 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

@linuxgurugamer said that he had your permission for these; was that not accurate?

https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/NetKAN/pull/5202#issuecomment-274366358

Sure, sounds plausible.  That would explain the how and the why.  Edit:  Thinking more on it, I do remember some discussions with LGG on this a few months (years?) back; and yes, permission was granted, so nothing is really amiss there; was such a brief conversation I had completely forgotten about it.

Still not something I'm going to personally support though.  If someone can't be bothered to take the time to manage their mods themselves, I'm not going to bother to take the time to help them.

(not meant negatively towards CKAN or their dev team; this is intended towards end-users who can't even read basic error messages in log files to try and fix the problem themselves before bugging me about it)

Edited by Shadowmage

2 hours ago, Shadowmage said:

Yes, just have to notify someone of CKAN staff that you want to opt out your mods from being listed on CKAN. But, you can also notify CKAN staff members when there is new dependency, such things are usualy resolved quickly. I doubt that opting out from CKAN would completely solve issues with install mistakes. In last few weeks I have witnessed several faulty manual installs.

So, neither is completely foolproof. But with each new CKAN version things are improving and users became more aware how to use it. With rapid dynamic changes around KSP community (KSP updates, mod updates, hosting service changes etc.) it is not very likely that faulty installs will ever be completely ironed out. But, community is changing as well, so there is more people that are willing to help each other, to resolve things quickly. Despite some frustrations that happens from time to time.

35 minutes ago, kcs123 said:

Yes, just have to notify someone of CKAN staff that you want to opt out your mods from being listed on CKAN. But, you can also notify CKAN staff members when there is new dependency, such things are usualy resolved quickly. I doubt that opting out from CKAN would completely solve issues with install mistakes. In last few weeks I have witnessed several faulty manual installs.

So, neither is completely foolproof. But with each new CKAN version things are improving and users became more aware how to use it. With rapid dynamic changes around KSP community (KSP updates, mod updates, hosting service changes etc.) it is not very likely that faulty installs will ever be completely ironed out. But, community is changing as well, so there is more people that are willing to help each other, to resolve things quickly. Despite some frustrations that happens from time to time.

Thanks for the information and reply; my comment regarding de-listing was intended mostly as a joke/expression of frustration.  Will keep the info in mind though if I ever decide to go crazy on it in the future (not likely).

34 minutes ago, Shadowmage said:

Thanks for the information and reply; my comment regarding de-listing was intended mostly as a joke/expression of frustration.  Will keep the info in mind though if I ever decide to go crazy on it in the future (not likely).

Well, I understand quite well where your frustration comes from, it is unavoidable and unfortunate part of sowtware development. Belive me or not, but I got quite a lot of stupid demands due to user mistakes on my regular job than trough mod development (on different game and differnt community though).

So, with some of steam blown off, best of luck with hunting other remained bugs and new ones from KSP 1.9. Take your own pace and do that while having fun with that at same time, that's only advice I can give you to avoid being burn out and other frustrations.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.