[1.8.x] Kerbal Foundries -- Continued - Tracks, Wheels, and Gear

Shadowmage

1 hour ago, siklidkid said:

This doesn't work for ksp 1.8 or 1.9! It freezes at the end and says "Verifying expansion/ Breaking ground/Serenity

You have put something to this effect in multiple threads, so you obviously don't know what is hanging you up and are blaming mods almost at random. Post your logs like the basic troubleshooting instructions say to do so someone might have a chance of helping you and you don't send mod makers on a wild goose chase.

9 hours ago, Agustin said:

what is the legnew that is disabled? should I enable it in a new save, and do I need to make another action if I do enable it?

Unfinished prototype part; won't do you any good to enable, as it doesn't work/was never finished.  Added it in-game to test model-scales and overall geometry.

On 3/29/2020 at 5:53 AM, sturmhauke said:

I posted a bug on the tracker about the ALG Large not stowing properly. https://github.com/shadowmage45/KerbalFoundries2/issues/52

Thanks for the report, will take a look at that when I have some time.

I, unlike many right now, don't get 'stay at home days'.  My employer was declared 'critical infrastructure' because part of what we manufacture is alcohol wipes... so no extra modding productivity for me... (yet...)

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/31/2020 at 11:00 AM, Shadowmage said:

Unfinished prototype part; won't do you any good to enable, as it doesn't work/was never finished.  Added it in-game to test model-scales and overall geometry.

Thanks for the report, will take a look at that when I have some time.

I, unlike many right now, don't get 'stay at home days'.  My employer was declared 'critical infrastructure' because part of what we manufacture is alcohol wipes... so no extra modding productivity for me... (yet...)

Take your time, fellow essential employee. We appreciate your work

• 2 weeks later...

More info for the parts would be helpful, I couldn't get the hover engines to stay on for more than a second without turning on infinite electricity. Not sure what had gone wrong unless they require something else to run. When I right clicked on one it would say the electricity flow was like .02 something and then sputter out. Playing on ksp 1.7.3

Is this error message meaningful/harmful (enough to look at full log, I mean)? Found in my logs when looking for some other funny business...:

StageRecovery: RegisterMod, CallRecoveryController returned null

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)

[MechJeb2] Loading Mechjeb 2.8.4

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)

Module KSPWheelSuspension threw during OnStart: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at KSPWheel.KSPWheelAdjustableGear.deployAction (.KSPActionParam param) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at BaseAction.Invoke (.KSPActionParam param) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ActionGroupList.ToggleGroup (KSPActionGroup group) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ActionGroupList.SetGroup (KSPActionGroup group, Boolean active) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at KSPWheel.KSPWheelSuspension.postControllerSetup () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at KSPWheel.KSPWheelSubmodule.initializeController () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at KSPWheel.KSPWheelSubmodule.OnStart (StartState state) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at KSPWheel.KSPWheelSuspension.OnStart (StartState state) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Part.ModulesOnStart () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

[ModularFlightIntegrator] MFI Start

So, I've been playing around with some KF wheels and tracks, making a smallish rover designed as a utility vehicle, partly with the capability to drag things using KAS. I was trying to use gear ratio to increase torque to make it more capable of towing moderately sized objects around colonies, but it doesn't seem to change much. As it is, the rover could tug things forward a little with each run up, but would quickly stop without the momentum.

Anyone have any advice on using this feature? Was I perhaps just being optimistic on what my little utility vehicle could drag (was attempting a ~5ton dead weight, as that is the kind of mass it needs to tow around)? Would more weight on the vehicle help by stopping slippage/increasing grip, or should I try scaling up the parts/using more (was a roughly 2 ton rover with unscaled tracks and truck wheels, tried medium and large unscaled tracks)? And is there any way to check the maximum wheel torgue from vehicle assembly, as swapping between that and launched takes a not insignificant amount of time with my rather old PC rig and that makes iterating designs a bit of a chore? I do have a backup plan if it turns out it's not possible without making the rover MUCH larger (The ground tether function on the USI Akita rover and KAS electric winches, lock to the ground and reel it over, move and repeat). 

Winching something twice your weight seems like it just wouldn't work, at least not without anchors. I don't know what the coefficient of friction is like on parts, but it seems pretty high and I doubt the tires could make 2.5x that.

Can the things to be dragged be made more draggable? If not, you may be best off with the ground tethers.

Honestly, weighing the craft down some wouldn't be a huge issue. Adding more weight would be likely under a mission load anyway, with another main feature of it being a reasonable KIS inventory to help with trucking spare parts around, some of which are surprisingly heavy. But yeah, the ground tether/winch idea does seem like the most effective plan, at least for smaller things like the half-crashed resupply mission nearby. I have plans for other vehicles being sent in down the line, including folding cranes and larger cargo movers, which should have the mass to tow bigger colony sections if the crane has issues. 

You might be better off making a forklift or crane or something that can pick the payload off the ground before moving it. I have a flatbed truck for carrying base components on the Mun, and a separate crane for assembly.

8 hours ago, 0111narwhalz said:

You may also find some success in partially lifting the payload off the ground. This would distribute its weight to your wheels, while lightening its own weight on the ground, and thus would tilt the balance in your favor.

Not sure why I didn't think of that. Would still need to swap out for the KAS electric winches though, as the small, manual one doesn't actually retract, so design shift won't actually change. And with the added load on the vehicles frame, some of the tracks in this may become very useful to hold up weight. With the large weight difference hopefully mitigated somewhat, I'll have another fiddle with gear ratios to see how it affects things. 

7 hours ago, sturmhauke said:

You might be better off making a forklift or crane or something that can pick the payload off the ground before moving it. I have a flatbed truck for carrying base components on the Mun, and a separate crane for assembly.

I already have a plan for a folding crane vehicle based around actually lifting payloads, that I know can handle some fairly large parts. Somewhat proud of getting a design that's basically just hinges, girders and wheels to not be just Kraken bait, but it works. On that note, word of advice to anyone who tries putting Kerbal Foundries parts on the end of Infernal Robotics parts: Dial the springs down and the dampening up. A lot. Otherwise things get bouncy. Discovering that was fun, felt the urge to put on House of Pain at one point. The one I was currently working on however was designed for much smaller jobs than the crane, which reaches around 15 m x 15 m width/height when unfolded and could therefore likely straddle most of the current colony. 

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, vikt2324 said:

I was wondering is there any way that i can move the BDArmory screens, onto the JSI/RPM screens?dlndovd6orv41.png

That question might get better answer in RPM or BD Armoury thread. In theory, it should be doable, but I can't tell if there is need to change something in plugin DLL or if it is enough to create MM patches for RPM and BD Armoury to make it work.

@vikt2324 Make sure you ask on the NEW, RPM adopted thread, here (and NOT the old thread by MOARdV):

OR, you could maybe try the MAS- MOARdV's thread (MOARdV's replacement mod for RPM), here:

EDIT: oops.. Just saw that you ninja'd me by posting on the new RPM thread ;)
Might also ask on MAS thread, tho, since this would be a nice feature to bring up with MOARdV, to mebbe look at adding to that mod, too ;)

Edited by Stone Blue

1 hour ago, Stone Blue said:

OR, you could maybe try the MAS- MOARdV's thread (MOARdV's replacement mod for RPM), here:

@MOARdV already wrote a disclaimer that he will not add BDA support to MAS :kiss:

• 4 weeks later...

Is there any way to get this to work without TU or at least to have TU render things stockalike for those of us without magpie ancestry ?

Never mind, I'll use the old models, you already answered that a few pages back, sorry.

Edited by EthanKerbman

14 hours ago, KIMCHI said:

Can you run this without textures unlimited? I dont like the PBR implementation in KSP everything looks like a mirror.

You have to have TU installed, as it is a plugin-level compile-time dependency (IIRC e.g. the KSPWheel plugin won't work without the TU plugin also present; unless I somehow managed to do it without a dependency; honestly don't remember).

However, you don't have to use the current configs/models/textures (which is where the reflection stuff is coming from).  Go and download one of the older releases (from before the texture updates), delete the existing PBR configs/models/textures, and replace with the legacy ones.  The old configs and models/textures will work just fine alongside the newer plugin.  Actually, might be easier to simply download the older release, and manually replace/update the KSPWheel.dll with the latest version.  Either way accomplishes the exact same thing if done correctly.

TLDR:  You can continue to use the legacy part configs / models / textures alongside the newer plugin; but such installation/configuration/etc is unsupported beyond the simple hints/instructions listed above.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.