[1.8.x] Kerbal Foundries -- Continued - Tracks, Wheels, and Gear

Shadowmage

https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html

Please read that. Your post is almost a perfect example of how not to report a bug (or ask a question about a possible bug).

My intention in posting this is not to excoriate you, but in the hope you will read it, become a more effective bug reporter, and get your problem actually solved.

Edited by damerell

8 hours ago, SomeoneWhoLikesTrains said:

How do I get the tracks to work?

Normally you'd just put the part on your craft and it'd work… but since you're asking, I gather that does not work for you? So: What is your use-case, what have you tried, and how has it not worked? Screenshots if possible.

On 6/28/2020 at 2:36 AM, 0111narwhalz said:

Normally you'd just put the part on your craft and it'd work… but since you're asking, I gather that does not work for you? So: What is your use-case, what have you tried, and how has it not worked? Screenshots if possible.

Well, i just simply strap them on, but they don't work. Oddly, this only happens with the tracks, it's not an issue with the wheels. I don't know what causes it at all! :(

Edit:Wait what? all of the sudden now they work for me?

Edited by SomeoneWhoLikesTrains
Update on my situation

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, DefenderX1 said:

Anyone have thoughts on why the anti-grav looks like this?

Every other video/image I see of it, there's no visible effect coming off them. For me though, it's bright pink, very low res, waves that REALLY hurt my eyes.

KSP.log:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mYprMwtPKl4_dFzMSkuJTuff-8Jsav16/view?usp=sharing

Typically that's indication of a missing texture, but since the parts are actually there, and seem to be functioning fine, it's probably more of an incompatibility thing with another mod, or the version of KSP in question. I don't think these are fully cleared for 1.10 yet.

Edited by Beetlecat

16 hours ago, 0111narwhalz said:

Something about the asset packs for the particle effects needing to be recompiled, IIRC. The APUs probably have the same issue.

That is the likely answer.  Unfortunately, work is still keeping me buried, so I haven't been able to poke my head out yet to see what the damage is from the update.

I'm also on KSP 1.10. However, I don't have the anti-grav texture issue above. I have the following mod versions:

• KerbalFoundries-2.4.8.18.zip (Feb 2020)
  • TexturesUnlimited-1.5.10.25.zip (May 2020)
  • KSPWheel-0.16.14.33.zip (May 2020)

Last May, when updates to TU and KSPWheel came out, I deleted the TU and KSPWheel folders and replaced them with the latest versions. That's probably why I don't have issues in KSP 1.10.

On 7/12/2020 at 1:38 PM, DefenderX1 said:

Every other video/image I see of it, there's no visible effect coming off them. For me though, it's bright pink, very low res, waves that REALLY hurt my eyes.

btw, the anti-gravs do have a visible effect.

zYqUDoy.png

11 hours ago, bcqJC said:

btw, the anti-gravs do have a visible effect.

That makes sense, since the mod is looking for an actual texture in my case but not finding it. Hence the butt ugly purple glow on mine lol.

I actually preferred it without any effect. It's anti-gravity, I wouldn't expect some sort of emission to come out of the engines. Sci-fi has taught us that anti-grav stuff isn't some sort of particle emission, it "just works".grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes_1f601.png

I'm also not a fan of the repulsors' woop woop UFO plume. :DPersonally, I'd prefer either an emissive animation (like an engine has) or particles that hug the device (or both) like with the Nebuchadnezzar from the Matrix movies.

7927e03c361fa6fd935c1bdf75f002aa.png

It doesn't have to be lightning. It could be something like this fire ring I made: https://i.imgur.com/bJG15cK.mp4

While I'm here...I never did PR that config update. I guess nobody took issue with it. I was waiting for someone to find issue with it, or for @Shadowmage to announce any changes to config syntax due to whatever he's up to. I'll PR it anyway, when I can.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

21 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

I'm also not a fan of the repulsors' woop woop UFO plume. :DPersonally, I'd prefer either an emissive animation (like an engine has) or particles that hug the device (or both) like with the Nebuchadnezzar from the Matrix movies.

It doesn't have to be lightning. It could be something like this fire ring I made: https://i.imgur.com/bJG15cK.mp4

While I'm here...I never did PR that config update. I guess nobody took issue with it. I was waiting for someone to find issue with it, or for @Shadowmage to announce any changes to config syntax due to whatever he's up to. I'll PR it anyway, when I can.

Aye, Aye to both! :D

• 1 month later...

I'm back playing KSP after, er, some years away. Pleased to find this is still going, and how nice the parts look now; and the ability to see in the editor which way the tracks actually think is forward saves a lot of headaches.

Edited by damerell

On 7/15/2020 at 2:29 AM, JadeOfMaar said:

Yup, with some electric strips would surely be better!

So, I accidentally installed this mod due to a misplaced click in CKAN when doing other things... and it's awesome!
Love the wheel and track options. I agree with the above statements that on-part effects would be cool for the anti-grav engine.

Only criticism I have at the moment is a lack of 'friction' or grip control on the wheels. Unless there is a setting I'm missing.

• 2 weeks later...

This may not be something people care about, but I have to ask...  So, the Mechjeb Rover Autopilot.  Admittedly twitchy at the best of times, but it doesn't seem to understand tracks at all (as in, turning it on does nothing on a tracked vehicle).  I'm curious as to why... and if there's a workaround?

(I realise that the answer may be unknown or something nobody wants to spend time on, but I thought I could ask!)

17 minutes ago, ChrisF0001 said:

This may not be something people care about, but I have to ask...  So, the Mechjeb Rover Autopilot.  Admittedly twitchy at the best of times, but it doesn't seem to understand tracks at all (as in, turning it on does nothing on a tracked vehicle).  I'm curious as to why... and if there's a workaround?

(I realise that the answer may be unknown or something nobody wants to spend time on, but I thought I could ask!)

The only thing that allow tracks is the KSPWheel mod and KerbalFounderies.  Most likely it's a part module  that mechjeb doesnt know about

13 hours ago, ChrisF0001 said:

I'm curious as to why... and if there's a workaround?

Do the tracks react to wheel steering controls? Try setting the "Traction Brake Limit" in the rover settings (Waypoints -> Settings) to 0. The stability control won't provide power-steering but the heading control should work.

The KSPWheelBase differs from the stock wheel base module, so MechJeb does not "see" it in its ground contact check. Both could be improved, I guess.

5 hours ago, HansAcker said:

Do the tracks react to wheel steering controls? Try setting the "Traction Brake Limit" in the rover settings (Waypoints -> Settings) to 0. The stability control won't provide power-steering but the heading control should work.

The KSPWheelBase differs from the stock wheel base module, so MechJeb does not "see" it in its ground contact check. Both could be improved, I guess.

The keyboard 'rover' steering controls work fine - after a bit more testing I think it must be the Ground Contact Check that you describe (apparently it's not just tracks, but any KF wheel).  Still, it's good to know these things for future reference, thanks! :) 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.