[1.8.x] Kerbal Foundries -- Continued - Tracks, Wheels, and Gear

Shadowmage

9 hours ago, Bizobinator said:

Has anyone had problems with vehicles just Kraken-bouncing when sitting still on the ground? 

I don't find the KF landing legs satisfactory (and this is why), and KF landing gear can bounce you because of the usual "spring bottoms out, physics simulation chokes in one tick" problem.

15 hours ago, damerell said:

I don't find the KF landing legs satisfactory (and this is why), and KF landing gear can bounce you because of the usual "spring bottoms out, physics simulation chokes in one tick" problem.

Well....I've actually only been having this with the Kerbal foundry tracks & wheels... Is this a case where I should post a log or something?

• 2 months later...

Am i the only one having problems with the breaks on the wheels? Everytime i land i get at max -9m/s from breaking, and most of the times it just starts sliding to one side until either it stops or crashes into the runway.... already searched a bit but didnt find anything on KFoundries brakes, something like break strenght (like in stock ksp)... I did  try to tweak the motor but that doesnt feel like a break..... its more like a "motor giving backwards force" and not a "these wheels are stopped so they are creating friction"
I'm trying to land a 50~ton spaceplane with medium wheels, all wheels are scaled 1.25

2 hours ago, Kemorno said:

Everytime i land i get at max -9m/s from breaking

"braking"; "brakes". If this means 9 m/s/s, that's not bad, nearly a gravity - more than one would get at all in commercial aviation, let alone with the wheel brakes alone. If not, it's not clear what it does mean.

If it veers uncontrollably I would check the steering on one of the wheels isn't reversed.

3 hours ago, damerell said:

"braking"; "brakes". If this means 9 m/s/s, that's not bad, nearly a gravity - more than one would get at all in commercial aviation.

am i that naive that i think that airplanes break at way more than that? Either way, stock wheels seem to break way more? are they just unrealistic?

18 hours ago, damerell said:

If this means 9 m/s/s, that's not bad,

I guess this means the velocity change before things go wrong and not deceleration.

20 hours ago, Kemorno said:

Everytime i land i get at max -9m/s from breaking, and most of the times it just starts sliding to one side until either it stops or crashes into the runway...

Try landing different aircrafts, possibly you have misaligned landing gear. Wheels may be not perpendicular to the ground or not parallel to each other.  There is a PAW option "align wheel to ground" for adjustable landing gear to fix perpendicularity, and I would recommend Precise Editor to check if they are parallel. Also you need to disable steering for main landing gear leaving only the nose gear steerable.

I had a problem with stability when I used a stock nose landing gear and KF main gear so I had to reduce friction of the stock gear to make it more slippery.

P.S. With KF landing gear I can land a 150t spaceplane on an aircraft carrier  (with stock landing gear too), so there are no problems with stability and brakes.

Edited by Manul

• 3 months later...
11 hours ago, A_Mango_Kabbab said:

can I know if changing the max speed of parts is possible in the config files or debug settings, and which line to change, I'm trying to make fast rovers for fun but am limited to 17m/s due to part scaling

This is just my guess but you want to put your focus on these:

MODULE
{
	name = KSPWheelMotor
	maxMotorTorque = 4.01 // How hard the motor will push in an ideal situation
	maxRPM = 800 // Actual max speed would be affected by this and the wheel mesh diameter
	gearRatio = 1 // Don't touch. I don't think any KF wheel has a different value
}

And these as @damerell below had pointed out:

MODULE
{
	name = KSPWheelDamage
	impactTolerance = 100 // the stock airplane wheels have 70. This is in m/s
	maxLoadRating = 4 // tonnage experienced by the wheel directly. This doesn't mean the whole vessel must weigh less than this
	maxSpeed = 43.5 // over-speed is a thing. The part won't break off but it can be crippled
}

Edited by JadeOfMaar
mention from damerell

19 hours ago, A_Mango_Kabbab said:

can I know if changing the max speed of parts is possible in the config files or debug settings, and which line to change, I'm trying to make fast rovers for fun but am limited to 17m/s due to part scaling

I guess this happened after scaling down the huge offroad wheel. :) It really sucks when downscaled, being ridiculously slow and fragile for a  big badass ATV wheel.  Take the "Truck Wheel Single", scale it up to 2-2.5x and it will have max speed of  70-80 m/s and enough robustness to go full throttle on Duna with Parallax collideable rocks scattered everywhere (wheels can do it, survival of the whole vehicle not guaranteed)

• 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.