Shadowmage

[1.8.x] Kerbal Foundries -- Continued - Tracks, Wheels, and Gear

Recommended Posts

With mirror symmetry, you expect to mirror the part. KSPWheel and KF know this, and so they invert the throttle automatically.
However, if you use radial symmetry or no symmetry at all, they can't know that you expect to mirror the part. Thus, you have to explicitly invert the throttle in the context menu.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, 0111narwhalz said:

With mirror symmetry, you expect to mirror the part. KSPWheel and KF know this, and so they invert the throttle automatically.
However, if you use radial symmetry or no symmetry at all, they can't know that you expect to mirror the part. Thus, you have to explicitly invert the throttle in the context menu.

That makes sense, thanks for the help. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, got a weird bug here. Treads break in my shuttle cargo bay (despite not touching anything) and when I fix them upon landing, they don't work. I figured out keeping the brakes on keeps the failure time at zero, but I would like to know why the treads don't work again after landing and repairing the tread.s

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, wrench-in-the-works said:

Hi, got a weird bug here. Treads break in my shuttle cargo bay (despite not touching anything) and when I fix them upon landing, they don't work. I figured out keeping the brakes on keeps the failure time at zero, but I would like to know why the treads don't work again after landing and repairing the tread.s

Do you have a craft file that I could use for debugging?  (preferably stock+KF only)

I've been trying to track down this issue (along with a time-warp related one), but the time needed to create test craft that exhibit the issue has been prohibitive.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Shadowmage said:

Do you have a craft file that I could use for debugging?  (preferably stock+KF only)

I've been trying to track down this issue (along with a time-warp related one), but the time needed to create test craft that exhibit the issue has been prohibitive.....

Here's the slightly upgraded probe https://www.dropbox.com/s/b4dob363uqbg6wr/Ore probe.craft?dl=0, the only other mod it has is KAS for a winch point on it.

The entire package is here https://www.dropbox.com/s/ky2s2od3df8rx3j/Artemis.craft?dl=0, it has the shuttle, launch vehicle, and probe, but is highly mod heavy. I have yet to test it out without the shuttle. Mods on the full package are opt, opt legacy, KAS, spacey, and spacey expanded.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, wrench-in-the-works said:

Here's the slightly upgraded probe https://www.dropbox.com/s/b4dob363uqbg6wr/Ore probe.craft?dl=0, the only other mod it has is KAS for a winch point on it.

The entire package is here https://www.dropbox.com/s/ky2s2od3df8rx3j/Artemis.craft?dl=0, it has the shuttle, launch vehicle, and probe, but is highly mod heavy. I have yet to test it out without the shuttle. Mods on the full package are opt, opt legacy, KAS, spacey, and spacey expanded.

Thanks for the links;  I'll open up an official issue ticket for this, and hopefully have time to investigate it within the next few days/week (probably over the weekend).  (ticket link: https://github.com/shadowmage45/KSPWheel/issues/43 )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Shadowmage said:

Thanks for the links;  I'll open up an official issue ticket for this, and hopefully have time to investigate it within the next few days/week (probably over the weekend).  (ticket link: https://github.com/shadowmage45/KSPWheel/issues/43 )

I should probably mention that while the treads don't exert motor force, they act and behave as if they are functional. They free-wheel around when brakes are off, motor rpm is up, but no ec/s consumption or torque to wheel either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

May I ask for a version of  adjustable landing gear with black doors to match the underside of shuttles in Cormorant Aeronautics?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lynx Rover + stock jet engines + KF antigrav units... I just thought I'd leave it here.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am sorry if this have been brought up before, but is there any possibility of any new track parts being added into this mod? A track part nearly half as wide as the T-64 tracks would be absolutely awesome. It would allow for a whole new series of wonky crafts and replicas. 

Edited by AdrianK.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/24/2017 at 11:35 AM, FellipeC said:

May I ask for a version of  adjustable landing gear with black doors to match the underside of shuttles in Cormorant Aeronautics?

 

12 minutes ago, AdrianK. said:

I am sorry if this have been brought up before, but is there any possibility of any new track parts being added into this mod? A track part nearly half as wide as the T-62 tracks would be absolutely awesome. It would allow for a whole new series of wonky crafts and replicas. 

 

Any new part models / textures would be a ways out.  I'm still very overloaded at work this summer, and won't have time for much of that kind of work for a few months.

Textures would likely come first, though I would need to add/adapt a texture-switching plugin from somewhere (either integrated into KF, or added from one of the SSTU bits; sorry, no Firespitter here).  In fact, if someone were to make the textures, you could likely use one of the existing texture-switch solutions to make it functional (though, obviously, you need the textures first).

New tracks -- if one of the existing models could be adapted it might happen much sooner.  If it requires entirely new models/textures, it would definitely be sometime this fall/winter before I could get to it.  I'll touch base with @TiktaalikDreaming to see if he is up for working on track models, or if it is something that I should tackle (they require some.... specialized rigging including skinning and armatures, which require quite a bit more setup effort to get things looking right).

 

If someone would like to open issue tickets on the KerbalFoundries github repository for both of these requests, it will make sure they are not forgotten about when next I have time to work on modeling/texture stuff.


I'm really hoping that I can get a bit more time to dedicate towards modding again in the near future (end of July more than likely).  Won't be back to full/normal schedule until much later, but hopefully here in a month or so my schedule will open back up at least a little bit.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the quick reply! I completely understand that new track parts require a lot of effort and thus I thank you for even considering to fulfill this request! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/28/2017 at 2:25 AM, Shadowmage said:

New tracks -- if one of the existing models could be adapted it might happen much sooner.  If it requires entirely new models/textures, it would definitely be sometime this fall/winter before I could get to it.  I'll touch base with @TiktaalikDreaming to see if he is up for working on track models, or if it is something that I should tackle (they require some.... specialized rigging including skinning and armatures, which require quite a bit more setup effort to get things looking right).

 

I had a look at the existing tracks a while ago.  The tracks are odd to say the least, but if I have some idea of what I'm doing, I doubt it will be the hardest modelling ever.  I think we're just talking weird. :D

The real life stuff keeps attacking me, but I do still get time for 3D work.  I have a few things on the back burner based on the "not sure what to do next" criteria.  When mixed with RL attacks that tends to lead to me just browsing dumb things on the Internerds.  Having a genuine request, like "new textures for X" or "new tracks of about size Y" should assist there. :D

I'll look at the ALG texture first, as that seems a pretty simple sort of thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, TiktaalikDreaming said:

I'll look at the ALG texture first, as that seems a pretty simple sort of thing.

Indeed, probably the easiest bit to tackle.  Would be even easier if I had originals on the textures, but alas, all I have are the compressed .dds images.  (Unless someone else is aware of where the masters / psd / xcf files were kept?)

Let me know if you need a hand converting the existing textures back to an editable format or coming up with a UV map for the models (I can do a quick join + export in blender for a UV map if needed).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, XOC2008 said:

Is there a way to just make the long track a bit skinnier? 

Sorry, no, not without redoing (and re-rigging) the entire model (and creating a new part config file/etc);  non-uniform scaling is not something that is handled well at the game-engine level.

However some skinnier tracks were recently added to the todo / wish-list, so perhaps sometime in the future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Shadowmage said:

Indeed, probably the easiest bit to tackle.  Would be even easier if I had originals on the textures, but alas, all I have are the compressed .dds images.  (Unless someone else is aware of where the masters / psd / xcf files were kept?)

Let me know if you need a hand converting the existing textures back to an editable format or coming up with a UV map for the models (I can do a quick join + export in blender for a UV map if needed).

I'll check first.  dds as a source should be OK, except it'll be flattened already.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Capt.gelo said:

How do I move when using the gravity repulsors? 

I used jet engines. I think you can also use other gravity repulsors that are angled but I never TRIED that. But my Lynx rover used an angled one on the front for trim control and as a 'bumper' to avoid smashing into terrain at the bottom of hills or when driving off of the launch pad. 

 

Edited by Starwaster
fixed link

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Capt.gelo said:

Jet engines didn't work for me

Pictures? What doesn't work?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Capt.gelo said:

Jet engines didn't work for me

you must be doing something wrong then. They're engines, they put out thrust, they make you move. 

Do they have intakes? Can fuel flow to them?

Edited by Starwaster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi guys,

I want to get back into modeling and modding and I'd like to develop something different for a change, a MacPherson strut and trailing arm suspension. Both solutions and derivatives are very compact and used in most cars nowadays.

Now I'm wondering if someone knows a recent guide how to set these up in Unity, I don't suppose this video,

 

is still the most accurate way of doing things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Azimech the hierarchy shown in the video is not suitable for current wheels be they KSP stock style or KSPW versions  .  Below is a link to a load of images i posted showing various hierarchies and styles all of which will work for both current types.

Re trailing axles though in general my experience with them is that  getting them to accurately mirror is a problem, the original KF had a weird arrangement to work around this, but it was pretty awkward to set up.  

  What does work  very well  though is if you make them KSPW types and make the whole sub frame, complete with both wheels and suspension units, if you have a look at the actual KSPW thread there some videos of such things already in existence  If you want anything to pull apart for investigation purposes let me know.

Edited by SpannerMonkey(smce)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.