Conic Patch Draw Mode

Does anyone know if the difference between mode 4 and 3 are worth changing? I noticed that 3 is very useful, but 4 is the default, and I wasn't sure what "hybrid mode" means. All the previous threads on this were back when only mode 1 to 3 were implemented.

Mode 4 seems to be a mistake.  I have never noticed it as the default.

I once found mode 4 referred to as 'LERP mode' and it does seem to add a linear interpolation from the point we enter a body's SOI at some point in the future, to the current position of that body.  I do not know why that could be useful.  I think it was an easy-to-program idea that the programmer never bothered to remove.

link to a nice description of the modes

What I seem to see happen is that the number of intersections that you see visible increase. For example, with 3 conics, you might see a Mun intercept, and then an orbit around Kerbin. However, with 6 patched conics, you might then see a Minmus encounter, a solar orbit, and a Duna intercept. (Not saying this is really possible :P)

On 1/16/2017 at 10:13 AM, Benjamin Kerman said:

What I seem to see happen is that the number of intersections that you see visible increase. For example, with 3 conics, you might see a Mun intercept, and then an orbit around Kerbin. However, with 6 patched conics, you might then see a Minmus encounter, a solar orbit, and a Duna intercept. (Not saying this is really possible :P)

That sounds like conic patch limit, not the draw mode. 

5 hours ago, Red Iron Crown said:

As far as I know the descriptions here are still accurate, despite the age of the thread:

The explanation for mode 4 isn't very clear to me, honestly I may just go with mode 3. I don't see any advantage of mode 4 at all.

" And finally, here is mode 4 (Lerped mode). It\'s... odd. I think that, as my ship closes in on the SOI switch, these orbits will move and match up more. But when you\'re first doing your burn, it\'s a bit confusing. "

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.