Gene Cernan, last to leave the moon, has died

razark

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2017/01/16/eugene-cernan-last-man-to-walk-on-moon-dead-at-82.html

Nasa Tweet

He was a great man and lived an amazing life. Farewell Gene Cernan.

"America's challenge of today has forged man's destiny of tomorrow. And, as we leave the Moon... we leave as we came and, God willing, as we shall return, with peace and hope for all mankind. "Godspeed the crew of Apollo 17."

C2USNoNWQAAolpD.jpg:large

Edited by JedTech

Just saw this as well.  He was one of my favorite astronauts.  Great life though, you can't be sad for a guy that got to walk on the moon in his lifetime.  Thats a full, rich life right there.

759256.jpg

Edited by klesh
Threw a pic in for good measure.

The documentary that featured him, Last Man on the Moon, is one of my all-time favorite documentaries. Not many other films or other pieces of media have ever captured my attention and enhanced it like that documentary did.

Gene's always been one of my favorites.

We truly are in an age of challenge. With that challenge comes opportunity. The sky is no longer the limit. The word impossible no longer belongs in our vocabulary. We have proved that we can do whatever we have the resolve to do. The limit to our reach is our own complacency.’

1 hour ago, klesh said:

Great life though, you can't be sad for a guy that got to walk on the moon in his lifetime.  Thats a full, rich life right there.

Indeed, I am saddened to learn that Gene Cernan has died. But what a life he lived! One of only three people to have flown to the moon TWICE.

4 minutes ago, PakledHostage said:

Indeed, I am saddened to learn that Gene Cernan has died. But what a life he lived! One of only three people to have flown to the moon TWICE.

Well all are gonna buy the farm one day, babe.  It's what you do with the time you have that counts.  Ol' Gene used his time wisely. :) 

39 minutes ago, YNM said:

My condolences to all who are affected.

And thank you very much for inspiring Gene Kerman.

Similarity of names notwithstanding, Gene Kerman is not inspired from Gene Cernan but from Gene Krantz, director of NASA during many memorable times and missions. Possibly most notably, he's the one who would not accept failure as an option during the troubles with Apollo 13.

14 hours ago, pTrevTrevs said:

I always hoped that he would live to see people go back.

My dream of meeting an Apollo astronaut is getting further and further out of reach.

They give talks, you'll have to make an effort to go see one. Apollo... I've met 3 Apollo astronauts, 4 if you count Deke Slayton.  I was lucky in that 3 had connections to New Mexico, so they were around here to meet fairly often (Deke's rocket company launched at White Sands).

Buzz Aldrin has a website with a list of upcoming events. He's gonna be at a ComicCon in San José.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.