Gene Cernan, last to leave the moon, has died

razark

8 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

Similarity of names notwithstanding, Gene Kerman is not inspired from Gene Cernan but from Gene Krantz, director of NASA during many memorable times and missions. Possibly most notably, he's the one who would not accept failure as an option during the troubles with Apollo 13.

Ah, sorry for my mis-attribution then.

We are losing them, guys. Our last real, larger-than-life explorers. Men who boldly went where no human set his foot before. Sure, people like Felix Baumgartner do amazing things. But... Apollo astronauts walked on the Moon. They went farther than any other human in history ever did. In couple of years there will be no one left. That chapter of human history will be closed, and we haven't even started writing another. That's just sad. At least, their traces in Moon dust will remain for a very, very long time - and, if fate allows, one day there will be new tracks nearby.

As always, I think Randall Munroe of XKCD has a perfect quote for the occasion. "If the Earth were a basketball, in 40 years [as of 2012] no human has been more than half an inch from the surface".

For the record, if the Earth were a basketball, the moon would be roughly seven and a half metres (25 footses) away on average.

These men were truly great pioneers. They went far.

Edited by Codraroll
Added source

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/01/2017 at 0:37 AM, Tex said:

The documentary that featured him, Last Man on the Moon, is one of my all-time favorite documentaries. Not many other films or other pieces of media have ever captured my attention and enhanced it like that documentary did.

Gene's always been one of my favorites.

Agreed on "Last Man on the Moon"... a very down to earth (if that's possible) documentary of his experience of the Apollo 17th mission.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.