[1.4.0 - 1.8.1] Analog Control Continued: use your mouse as a joystick [v2.1.3] (2017, Jun 25)

Ser

Do you still fly with keyboard? ...What???

This is a continuation of Analog Control mod by @Crzyrndm

The mod enables mouse controlled flight in KSP, i.e you can use your mouse as a joystick.

License: GPLv3

KSP version: 1.4.0-1.8.1

Source code: on GitHub

Download from Spacedock

General usage:

• Press [Enter] to activate the mod. Green target HUD showing deadzones around the neutral area will appear. 
  • Press [O] to unpause controls. Now control surfaces move according to your mouse movements.
  • You may press [O] at any time again to pause (i.e. freeze) controls at current positon and unbind them from mouse.
  • [Tab] switches horizontal control from roll (airplane) to yaw (rover/rocket) mode.
  • Press [Alt]-[O] to bring up settings (if the mod is active, deactivate it first by pressing [Enter]).

Changes made to the original mod:

v2.1.3

• Fixed restoring of control state when loading from space center

v2.1.2:

• Added toggleable mouse wheel throttle control ([NumLock] by default). Check out Alt-O window for advanced settings on this key action.

v2.1.1:

• Added a configurable extra hotkey for parking brake (Alt - <brake key> by default, release as usual by the <brake key>)

v2.1.0:

• Added control surfaces and steering response scaling - a pair of new settings for control sensitivity. Try and you'll see that steering can be amazingly precise
  • Added control state persistence on quicksave/load - you don't need to quickly grab controls when loading right into the final approach, now the mod will load with controls paused in the position that was when you saved

v2.0.0:

• Added temporary pause of control while holding right mouse button for mouse look. Now you can quickly look around without having your vessel go crazy.
  • Added wheel steering to the "Yaw" mode
  • Target area color changes to yellow when "Yaw" mode is enabled
  • Marker point color changes to green when control is active and to red when paused
  • Meaning of "Inverted pitch" setting changed to opposite: when enabled, moving mouse down makes the nose go up, so check your settings
  • Key for "pause" is now [O] by default
  • KSP 1.2.2 compatible

Edited by Ser
Tested KSP 1.8.1 compatibility

22 minutes ago, Starslinger999 said:

I like flying with my keyboard :P 

And do your landings on parachutes?

That's because you must have never tried mouse or joystick :)

Edited by Ser

9 minutes ago, symmeclept said:

I have ENTER bound to staging control. Is it possible to rebind mod control to SPACE?

I haven't tried to bind specifically SPACE but there should't be any troubles. Use Alt-O window for that.

Edited by Ser

On 1/18/2017 at 7:22 AM, Ser said:

And do your landings on parachutes?

That's because you must have never tried mouse or joystick :)

I can fly planes under the small bridge in the Research and Development with pure WASDQE Controls :P

Also this mod already happened :wink: 

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/137830-121-mouse-aim-flight-111-pilot-airplanes-with-your-mouse/

Edited by Starslinger999

7 hours ago, Starslinger999 said:

I can fly planes under the small bridge in the Research and Development with pure WASDQE Controls :P

What can I say? You're good :) But what about smooth and realistic (with chance of survival close to 100%) landing with FAR? Or flying far away with 4x time warp without having your aircraft perform a 540 degree roll on a single key press?

7 hours ago, Starslinger999 said:

Analog Control has happened 1.5 years earlier than Mouse Aim Flight :wink::
http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/89385-090-v15-analog-control-fly-smoothly-with-keyboard-and-mouse/

But more important thing is that (correct me if i'm wrong) Mouse Aim provides War Thunder-like control whilst Analog Control allows you to fly a plane in a flight simulator way.

I'll explain: with mouse aim you point your mouse where you want to go and via some amazing logic computer flies there for you. Real planes aren't piloted that way.
With Analog Control mouse is directly connected to control surfaces giving you a feeling that you are holding the stick. That's the difference.

Edited by Ser

Version 2.1.0 is out

Available on Spacedock

Changelog:

Some important features implemented:

* Added control surfaces and steering response scaling - a pair of new settings for control sensitivity. Set your steered wheels friction control to maximum and you'll see that steering can be amazingly precise
The feature is demostrated in this video: https://youtu.be/YwQB7irv5gs
* Fixed steering wobble when close to the deadzone
* Added control state persistence on quicksave/load - you don't need to quickly grab controls when loading right into the final approach anymore, now the mod will load with controls paused in the position that was when you saved. If you quicksave in a level flight then your vessel proceeds in a level flight after loading
* Improved settings window

Edited by Ser

• 2 weeks later...

Version 2.1.1 is out

Available on Spacedock

Changelog:

• Added a configurable extra hotkey for parking brake (Alt - <brake key> by default, release as usual by the <brake key>)
  • Improved steering precision - no need to set Friction control to maximum, set it to your taste 
  • Fixed some settings saving

5 hours ago, Beetlecat said:

Incredible! Such a tiny, needed feature.

Yea, I've missed this key all my life too and know what? Messing with API I've found that controllers seem to have an advanced configuration for the barking prake, but there's still nothing for keyboard. That's ridiculous.

• 3 weeks later...

Version 2.1.2 is out

Available on Spacedock

Changelog:

• Added toggleable mouse wheel throttle control ([NumLock] by default). Check out Alt-O window for advanced settings on this key action.
    This feature is useful on final approach or other situations when accurate speed adjustments are vital.
  • Restored HUD transparency setting.

• 3 months later...
On 17.06.2017 at 4:43 AM, debris said:

in 1.3, i cannot use this mod.

without this, my ksp life is weary.

I'm in proccess of updating my supported mods, though some bug fixing is also required, so wait just a little.

3 hours ago, Ser said:

Version 2.1.3 is out

Changes:

• KSP 1.3.0 compatible
  • Fixed restoring of control state when loading from space center

Can we rebind hotkeys in cfg or elsewhere? Because I have Stage action on my Enter..

Edited by ZobrAA

7 hours ago, ZobrAA said:

Can we rebind hotkeys in cfg or elsewhere? Because I have Stage action on my Enter..

Of course. You can do it via the config window opened with Alt-O.

6 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

CKAN?

I don't have CKAN client itself but SpaceDock shows me the CKAN label on this mod. Is it wrong?

2 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Ok, then it probably got messed up, I'll take a look.

I assume then, that you don't mind if it is listed in CKAN?

I really should slow down.

It's already there, sorry for bothering you

No problem.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm finding this pretty cool for flying. However, I'm wondering what other users of the mod do when they wish to look around; flying in chase mode is all very well until you need to sight a runway or target. I'd love to have £40 spare for trackIR equipment, but I'm not sure I do.

5 hours ago, Volt said:

I'm finding this pretty cool for flying. However, I'm wondering what other users of the mod do when they wish to look around; flying in chase mode is all very well until you need to sight a runway or target. I'd love to have £40 spare for trackIR equipment, but I'm not sure I do.

You can just hold the right mouse button, the marker point will become red indicating that the controls are paused at the present position, and look around absolutely for free while still holding RMB. This is shown in the OP video when looking around while inverted and when turning to final approach.

Edited by Ser

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.