[1.4.0 - 1.8.1] Analog Control Continued: use your mouse as a joystick [v2.1.3] (2017, Jun 25)

Ser

4 minutes ago, Ser said:

You can just hold the right mouse button, the marker point will become red indicating that the controls are paused at the present position, and look around absolutely for free while still holding RMB. This is shown several times in the OP video.

I've been trying to use that way, but it's behaving oddly in IVA. In IVA you right click once for free look and again to re-fix your view, and that knocks the control point back to centre for some reason.

51 minutes ago, Volt said:

I've been trying to use that way, but it's behaving oddly in IVA. In IVA you right click once for free look and again to re-fix your view, and that knocks the control point back to centre for some reason.

You're right, in IVA this is a little messed up because of stock way the mouse look works there. Once you release the RMB, mouse is fixed in the center of the screen thus centering the control point. So I've just got used to use it that way: first RMB press and hold activates stock lookaround and fixes controls. After I've done looking around I return the view to the present position, release the RMB and click it once again. That releases the stock mouse view mode. But more often I just press the [O] key to freeze the control point, look around and after that press it once again. It works well unless you're dogfighting and need to control your plane and view simultaneously.

Edited by Ser

1 hour ago, Ser said:

You're right, in IVA this is a little messed up because of stock way the mouse look works there. Once you release the RMB, mouse is fixed in the center of the screen thus centering the control point. So I've just got used to use it that way: first RMB press and hold activates stock lookaround and fixes controls. After I've done looking around I return the view to the present position, release the RMB and click it once again. That releases the stock mouse view mode. But more often I just press the [O] key to freeze the control point, look around and after that press it once again. It works well unless you're dogfighting and need to control your plane and view simultaneously.

It's not ideal but I guess it works - it's not ever going to be a joystick and TrackIR but then it's also free and community made so hey, it's still great.

1 hour ago, Volt said:

It's not ideal but I guess it works - it's not ever going to be a joystick and TrackIR but then it's also free and community made so hey, it's still great.

I have HOTAS and pedals, but in KSP I prefer to use Analog Control and I feel it's enough for this game. It doesn't require set up, trimming, dead zones, no FaceTrack problems. But yes, it will never be a joystick + pedals + TrackIR because it is only a single mouse.

• 2 weeks later...

Just tried this and wow is it fantastic.  My planes are actually fun to fly now!   I have other options in between a 1 and 20g turn and also my wings don't constantly rock back and forth!

One question I had - is there a way to have the view snap back after free look?  In my version (2.1.2) I have to manually drag the view back to where I want it.

3 hours ago, captainb said:

Just tried this and wow is it fantastic.  My planes are actually fun to fly now!   I have other options in between a 1 and 20g turn and also my wings don't constantly rock back and forth!

One question I had - is there a way to have the view snap back after free look?  In my version (2.1.2) I have to manually drag the view back to where I want it.

There's no such an option currently as I never had any troubles to return the view manually to its initial position. I think that shouldn't be hard to implement, besides it needs to mess with KSP cameras again, so I've got your request.

• 1 month later...

Using ksp v1.2.2 this mod doesn't work, I've installed it with CKAN, and it says it's using the latest version (which is the 1.3 one), I'm not sure, but the 1.3 version might not work with ksp 1.2.2, I think you can change CKAN compatibility settings to that it doesn't use the 1.3 version for ksp 1.2.2?

On 9/3/2017 at 5:22 AM, Dominicinator said:

Using ksp v1.2.2 this mod doesn't work, I've installed it with CKAN, and it says it's using the latest version (which is the 1.3 one), I'm not sure, but the 1.3 version might not work with ksp 1.2.2, I think you can change CKAN compatibility settings to that it doesn't use the 1.3 version for ksp 1.2.2?

I've never messed with CKAN manually, just checked CKAN option on Spacedock and hoped it adds everything itself. Not sure if CKAN really has that feature. You could just download 2.1.2 version of the mod from here manually as 2.1.3 is most likely isn't compatible with KSP 1.3.+.

UPDATE: There's indeed some wrong info in CKAN metadata for version 2.1.3. I've submitted an issue to CKAN, hope that helps.

https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/NetKAN/issues/5824

Edited by Ser

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
13 hours ago, The-Grim-Sleeper said:

Hello Ser. Could you post a quick rundown of the pros and cons of this mod over:

I know MAF is technically out of date, and that alone is a big + for ACc, but I wanna know the other perks!

Why do you think MAF is out of date? I see tetryds telling that he uploaded KSP 1.3.1 - compatible version to Curse.

As for pros and cons compared to MAF, I can't tell for sure, I don't use it myself because I've started to use Analog Control long before MAF was created and stay with it. Although, at the time when I checked MAF out, it was intended to War Thunder - like flight: you move the mouse pointing where to go and your plane flies there by itself. Despite some interesting programming logic behind that, I hate this way of control personally, as far as I know, none of the modern aircraft is controlled that way, even Airbuses with their advanced Flight Augmentation Computer. I prefer the feel of actually holding the stick when aircraft responds to my actions directly, not playing Mario in the sky.

So, among pros of Analog Control are: direct control, ability to pause controls at any state and look around/use menus etc, ability to have precise control over G load, mouse wheel as throttle. Don't know, maybe MAF has those features already implemented. I don't follow it.

Cons... To fly straight with MAF, I guess, you just place your mouse at any point in the sky and it flies there forever. With Analog Control you still have to make small corrections, because it doesn't fly a plane for you.

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/01/2018 at 1:55 PM, Ser said:

Why do you think MAF is out of date? I see tetryds telling that he uploaded KSP 1.3.1 - compatible version to Curse.

Hi,

Could you please do the same and recompile a 1.3.1 version of ACC ?

That would be very nice !

• 2 months later...
12 hours ago, [INDO]dimas_1502 said:

i have a suggestion
it's been a struggle to re-center the mouse joystick pointer, so what if we can add a Battlefield-like aircraft control mode? can be changed to normal joystick pointer if wanted

Please elaborate what kind of struggle did you have with re-centering? There's a huge enough dead zone around the center of the screen, so you should just move the mouse there.

What do you mean by "Battlefield-like mode"? I have watched some video, isn't it the way when the nose of the aircraft follows where you point your mouse? As for me personally, I hate that method. I'm sure it was introduced just to attract people who don't want to actually fly an aircraft, just to make frags, so that makes them potential buyers of a flight sim without making them learn anything about flying. But if that's  the method you want, you can try Mouse Aim Flight mod.

Edited by Ser

47 minutes ago, Ser said:

Please elaborate what kind of struggle did you have with re-centering? There's a huge enough dead zone around the center of the screen, so you should just move the mouse there.

What do you mean by "Battlefield-like mode"? I have watched some video, isn't it the way when the nose of the aircraft follows where you point your mouse? As for me personally, I hate that method. I'm sure it was introduced just to attract people who don't want to actually fly an aircraft, just to make frags, so that makes them potential buyers of a flight sim without making them learn anything about flying. But if that's what you want, try Mouse Aim Flight mod.

i mean the flight control is like in the battlefield game, u use ur mouse as joystick but it re-centers itself

20 hours ago, [INDO]dimas_1502 said:

i mean the flight control is like in the battlefield game, u use ur mouse as joystick but it re-centers itself

I haven't the Battlefield game and by watching videos I cannot imagine how it works. Is it like you move your mouse to the right and the plane rolls to the right, and when you stop moving the mouse, the controls re-center?

Edited by Ser

48 minutes ago, Ser said:

I haven't the Battlefield game and by watching videos I cannot imagine how it works. Is it like you move your mouse to the right and the plane rolls to the right, and when you stop moving the mouse, the controls re-center?

basically like that
when u move ur mouse to the right/left it rolls, but when u release it it stops rolling, just like that

3 hours ago, [INDO]dimas_1502 said:

basically like that
when u move ur mouse to the right/left it rolls, but when u release it it stops rolling, just like that

and what happens if you want to do a barrel roll or a double one?

• 4 months later...

can you rebind the controls like to the side mouse buttons ?? i use O for camera focus change ^^, and tab is used for improved chase camera

Nevermind i could change the others but im not sure whats the text for the side mouse buttons ^^

Edited by Shoryuken

• 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.