RollBot Prize

The RollBot Prize Challenge

Ever thought, I wonder what would happen if I could hit the surface of the planet at full speed and not die?

Well I Have!

For this Challenge, You...

• must create a craft capable of withstanding a full force impact with the surface of ANY planetary body (minus kerbol and jool)
  • must launch the spacecraft and test it on AT LEAST three planets. no mun or minmus people, we aren't wimps here.

Bonus Points If it is able to hold kerbals!

Even more bonus points if the kerbals survive!

ULTRA bonus points if it can also survive full force water impacts!

Post Questions/Comments/Pictures Below!

Edited by whitejj01

I think the biggest confusion of this challenge is that you're using the phrase "full force" with no indication of what that might mean. Do you mean lithobraking after a retrograde burn from low orbit, or do you mean lithobraking from a collision course trajectory from outside of the sphere of influence? Also, such a challenge is very different for atmospheric bodies than non-atmospheric ones, as the atmosphere can slow an object significantly but also holds the risk of burning it up if the entry velocity is too high.

Assuming you mean that no "active" means of slowing down are allowed, I'm pretty sure the only way you'll survive at all would be to make use of aerobraking to slow down as much as possible(which already narrows it down to only a few possible worlds you could do this on) and then a "crumple zone" of sacrificial parts to slow the capsule down enough for it to survive the actual impact.  And using aerobraking kinda defeats the whole "full force" idea, as well as menaing that everyone who does succeed would basically be hitting at about the same speed.

Also, would need to specifiy what difficulty options to use, since things like part G limits could make a big difference.

Edited by Hodari

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.