Real Space Program [New Thread]

Welcome to the Real Space Program! A mission series dedicated to replicating real life launches with a real ground control team. Missions will be done based on who is available to man the launch control team. Missions will be replicated using a verity of mods for the launches. Payloads will be provided by the community.

The Real Space Program is an evolution of the previous Apollo Mission Recreation Program which failed due too many complications. The Real Space Program however is going to work on more easily completed tasks over the span of a couple hours (or less) rather than multiday missions. We will be primarily launching unmanned payloads, however when a crew is available and a mission requires one, then we may perform them as they come.

Dom18N4.jpg

Credit: ZooNamedGames, Adsii1970, Florid Monkey

Recent Missions

RSAT 1-C: Mission Failure

At T+ 00:11:54 the first stage engine of the Taurus I carrying RSAT 1-C had a pre mature cutoff.  Mission control decided to attempt to continue into orbit, as the second stage still had enough fuel to do so.  At T+ 00:14:27 the satellite separated from the launch vehicle prematurely, resulting in the loss of both the launch vehicle and the payload.  An investigation is underway, but we are not yet ready to release a full report.

Launch Video (Twitch)

RSAT 1-A

RSAT 1-A successfully reached its final orbit on November 26, 2016.  This was after a nearly four hour mission.  An attempt was made at second stage recovery, but communications were lost before a signal could be sent to open the parachutes.

Launch Highlights (YouTube)

Ground Control Team:

Flight Director: @ZooNamedGames, Manages mission control, makes all major decisions.

Booster: @CliftonM, manages the flight and internal systems of the rocket, runs KSP.

Flight Dynamics Officer (FIDO): 

Tracking (Track): @the_pazter

Recovery (if applicable): 

Public Affairs officer (PAO): @CliftonM , live streams the missions.

Payload Operations Officer: @Tristonwilson12, manages all aspect of onboard payload.

Mission Operations Director: @Uace24, runs launch count, functions as backup for payload operations, directs various mission critical tasks.

LV Development Team: @legoclone09, @CliftonM, @Uace24, @ZooNamedGames, develop the rockets used for our missions.

Graphics Designer: @adsii1970 @Florid Monkey, designs all artwork for the project.

This list will often vary mission to mission.  List currently incomplete.

Link to streams:

Primary Streaming Source:

http://www.twitch.tv/realspaceprogram

Secondary Streaming Sources:

http://www.twitch.tv/cliftonm

http://twitch.tv/ZooNamed

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrRfGfA_7kI6i9OKAhL9lDg

Mod List:

(please note this can change at ANY time or vary by payload)

RealSolarSystem (RSS)

Realism Overhaul (RO) (and all it's dependencies)

Procedural Parts

Telemachus

TestFlight

Extended Action Groups

NEEDING NEW MISSION CONTROL MEMBERS!!!

Requirements to Join listed in the spoiler below!

Spoiler

In order to join, us we want you to have a few requirements so you can effective assist us. Real Space Program is entirely a group effort, therefore we need every member to contribute as best as possible. So here is a list of what you will need in order to join (role specifics listed below)(bullets in bold are required):

Non-Mission Control Requirements:

• Skype, Discord (primarily text portion, mobile app acceptable)
  • College Level Mathematics, some wiggle room.
  • Able to run a KSP save with Realism Overhaul (RO), Real Solar System (RSS) and all of their dependencies (as well as all mods listed above). Specifically able to make Launch Vehicles.
  • Knowledge for planning and coordinating.
  • Knowledge to code within kOS, KRPC.

Mission Control Role Requirements:

• Decent Microphone
  • Good internets speeds
  • Discord Chat Software (for Mission Control Discussions- during launch)
  • Able to attend launches (semi-regularly. We can make exceptions, but only if mentioned before a launch!)

Mission Control Role Specific Requirements:

• Port Forwarding (Astronaut/Booster/PAO)
  • Additional Programs (Various Roles)

If want to join the ground control team, please let ZooNamedGames know in a private message or post on this thread so you can join! Please provide your Steam/Skype name in a Private Forum message upon requesting to join! I will private message you if you are accepted, and if you are, you will be accepted into a Steam/Skype group for the control team. Scheduling Document is available here.

If you would like to suggest a payload for us to launch, then please fill out this form ( https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1Ia2UgK7jqXPt0bT2_7xUsMm2HDljRQSl6GB6lFPkACI/viewform?usp=send_form ) so we can review your payload. Once we accept it, we will build a launch vehicle for you and contact you about a launch date. Please note- due to the fact we are still early in development, all provided payloads are delayed until we can get into a pattern of routine launches.

All missions will be done on a single save so that all crafts are in the same universe.

Edited by Guest
Update

2 hours ago, legoclone09 said:

Sweet, a new OP. Let's try for one launch a month on the second Saturday of the month.

We have a date for RSAT 1D of January 27th 2017 and then 1B in febuary. 

13 minutes ago, greenTurtle1134 said:

What's the purpose of the RSATs? What do they do, and where can I get this information for future projects?

The 1 series is to establish a communications network.  There are various others for weather, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A Zeus rocket is being prepared to launch the RSAT 1B spacecraft on March 3rd 2017 to Geostationary orbit. It will be RSP's second launch of 2017 following the anomaly in January. 

Edited by Uace24

The Real Space Program is working towards the launch of a Zeus rocket on Friday March 3rd with the RSAT 1B payload to Geostationary orbit. This is the First GeoNet spacecraft for the RSAT network we are looking forward to launch. 

streaming @ twitch.tv/uace23

• 4 weeks later...

I am very sorry to announce that I will be resigning my post at Real Space Program. I would like to thank everyone who has supported both it and me throughout this great adventure, and I bid good luck for the future to come. Thank you all.

- CliftonM

Hey guys, so me and @Oliverm001x are thinking of trying something like this. We're trying to emulate real life rocketry in KSP, with different competing launch providers, gvernment contracts, and other stuff (the thread for this will be coming soon). We're wondering if you have some tips on how to keep it organized when sharing save files around, making sure nobody jumps out of line, etc.

Oh, if this isn't the correct place to ask, sorry. :) 

10 hours ago, TheEpicSquared said:

Hey guys, so me and @Oliverm001x are thinking of trying something like this. We're trying to emulate real life rocketry in KSP, with different competing launch providers, gvernment contracts, and other stuff (the thread for this will be coming soon). We're wondering if you have some tips on how to keep it organized when sharing save files around, making sure nobody jumps out of line, etc.

Oh, if this isn't the correct place to ask, sorry. :) 

If you want to do somthing like this then Epix Launch Services and the IESA is open to compotition from other componies. Here is one of the rockets you will be trying to beat out if you accept. 

Zeus- The ultamate comercial launcher from CCAFS and VAFB can but up to 18 tons to LEO and 10 to GSO/GTO. 

Edited by Uace24

2 hours ago, Uace24 said:

If you want to do somthing like this then Epix Launch Services and the IESA is open to compotition from other componies. Here is one of the rockets you will be trying to beat out if you accept. 

Zeus- The ultamate comercial launcher from CCAFS and VAFB can but up to 18 tons to LEO and 10 to GSO/GTO. 

What are the mod restrictions for building a launch vehicle?