KSP Interstellar Extended Support Thread

FreeThinker

2 hours ago, trias702 said:

Wait, you can use drills to suck up LqdIntake? Which drills allow this?

currently IntakeLqd can be pumped with the stock RadialDrill, in the next release the UniversalDrill will be able to do it as well

Edited by FreeThinker

17 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

most conveniently worth the Overcapacity where you can set it 1% and ensure that you will not run out of power and will automatically charge if you have plenty of power from unreliable power sources like solar panels.

So if I set an InterstellarResourceConverter for Deuterium to 1% towards LqdDeuterium on the slider, then that means all Deuterium Gas I create from a Regolith Processor will immediately convert to LqdDeuterium, even if I have no intermediate DeuteriumGas storage tanks on my vessel?

Also, regarding sucking IntakeLqd with the stock Radial Drill, how do I actually do this? Just extend the drill into the ocean and there will be a button, something like "Start Ocean Extract"?

Finally, one last question, can you please explain what the "hasSwitchChooseOption" accomplishes in InterstellarFuelSwitch? I've set this to both true and false and I cannot detect any difference in the game. I am still able to switch tanks normally in the VAB, regardless of what this option is set to.

5 hours ago, trias702 said:

Wait, you can use drills to suck up LqdIntake? Which drills allow this?

Regular drills afaik with KSPi installed have a LqdIntake option or harvest ocean or something. Gotta have the drill in the water to work mind you.

2 hours ago, trias702 said:

So if I set an InterstellarResourceConverter for Deuterium to 1% towards LqdDeuterium on the slider, then that means all Deuterium Gas I create from a Regolith Processor will immediately convert to LqdDeuterium, even if I have no intermediate DeuteriumGas storage tanks on my vessel?

Also, regarding sucking IntakeLqd with the stock Radial Drill, how do I actually do this? Just extend the drill into the ocean and there will be a button, something like "Start Ocean Extract"?

Finally, one last question, can you please explain what the "hasSwitchChooseOption" accomplishes in InterstellarFuelSwitch? I've set this to both true and false and I cannot detect any difference in the game. I am still able to switch tanks normally in the VAB, regardless of what this option is set to.

From what I can tell you definitely need an intermediate tank. And I don't know why the mod author adds so many 10 sized tanks to everything, because those only work at 1x timewarp. At faster timewarps you need much bigger tanks to ensure your not 'capacity limited' (Need enough capacity to store 1 frames worth of production). Tons of 10 size tanks just clutter up the resource view IMO.

The refrigerator IRSU I think however lets you *select* a tank for it to have of gas, IIRC. And you can switch the tank at flight time. I REALLY like that feature. Though its not a really huge tank, not sure if its going to work well at 1000x+ timewarp.

Also I didn't know you could even make deuterium gas from a regolith processor. I find many of the advanced processing options don't even enable without stored gas.

I think 'hasSwitchChooseOption' might have something to do with selecting tank type in flight mode. though you might have to set HasGui to true as well iirc. I know he enables this on the default 'ore' tanks.

Check out Freethinkers interstellar fuel switch mod page for more info, the 'hidden contents' area in the 1st post:

Edited by BlackMoons

I tried this mod out and didn't like it but when i deleted it it messed up my whole game. Now no matter how many time i reinstall the game or mods the game thinks the KSP Interstellar Extended mod is still equipped but doesn't even show the parts for it in the tech tree nodes. Can someone please help so i can enjoy this game again?

3 hours ago, cuddlenaut97 said:

I tried this mod out and didn't like it but when i deleted it it messed up my whole game. Now no matter how many time i reinstall the game or mods the game thinks the KSP Interstellar Extended mod is still equipped but doesn't even show the parts for it in the tech tree nodes. Can someone please help so i can enjoy this game again?

wat do you see?

pic?

did you install it manually or by ckan?

Edited by danielboro

2 hours ago, danielboro said:

wat do you see?

pic?

did you install it manually or by ckan?

I cant provide a pic but the game runs normal except the tech tree still adds all the nodes for this mod even though i deleted the mod and they dont even show the parts that are supposed to be there. Parts from some other mods dont show either and they worked just fine before i installed KSP interstellar.

and yes i installed it manually.

i think you left CTT in

KSPI has a number of mods included whit it
if you only removed the warp dir you left a number of mods that came whit it

1 hour ago, cuddlenaut97 said:

I cant provide a pic but the game runs normal except the tech tree still adds all the nodes for this mod even though i deleted the mod and they dont even show the parts that are supposed to be there. Parts from some other mods dont show either and they worked just fine before i installed KSP interstellar.

and yes i installed it manually.

KSP 1.3 or 1.2.2?
ther a new CTT for 1.3 that is back ported in KSPI to 1.2.2
its puseble its not compatible whit mods for 1.2.2 that are expecting CTT for 1.2.2

try reinstalling CTT

Edited by danielboro

14 hours ago, danielboro said:

i think you left CTT in

KSPI has a number of mods included whit it
if you only removed the warp dir you left a number of mods that came whit it

KSP 1.3 or 1.2.2?
ther a new CTT for 1.3 that is back ported in KSPI to 1.2.2
its puseble its not compatible whit mods for 1.2.2 that are expecting CTT for 1.2.2

try reinstalling CTT

i removed all the mods that was with KSPI

i have KSP 1.3 and most of my other mods are up to date with it

and I've reinstalled CTT many different times already

Alright, first beta of KSP 1.15 can be downloaded from here

The backported  version of KSPI 1.5.0.3 to KSP 1.2.2 can be downloaded from here

Changelog:

* Added improved convection for submerged radiators

* Added Plasma Jet Magneto Inertial Fusion Reactor

* Added Diamagnetic Antimatter container

* Added Added Blanket Rectenna Receiver

* Added X-Ray to Beam Generators

* Added Science Dril

* Added Improve Interface Regolith Processing

* Added exit Apoapsis and exit Periapsis to Warp Control Interface

* Added resource switchers ISRU Processor

* Added IntakeLqd pump capacity to universal drill

* Re balanced cost thermal radiators

* Re-balanced beamed power

* Balance: Reduced minimum Nuclear Engines my 50%, this will also reduce Thermal Electric Power Output by 50%

* Fixed Antimatter Electric Power generation

* Fixed Reactor resource output, implicitly fixing premature actinides poisoning

* Fixed Deuterium refining from Regolith

* Fixed loss of power after docking

* Fixed spamming Universal Drill Gui

* Fixed Mass growth for Tweakaled Radiators

* Fixed Exploit staged Thermal Reactor

* Fixed active ad offline fuel usage nuclear engines

* Fixed thrust unbalance with multiple nuclear engines

So...ial use" is to find the flat spot at the bottom of a crater.  Feel free to include in the next version, or disregard, at your leisure, @FreeThinker - it's literally just a .cfg change on top of the X11 fuel tank. if you take the X11 fuel tank and copy it to a differently named folder, and replace the .cfg with the text below... you get a 5t ball that can withstand 50 m/s of crash tolerance (and does not hold any fuel).  This ball rolls.  ie, to the bottom of a crater and finds the flat spot there.  Kind of a stone-age level-finder, but it works.  It's also entertaining to tweakscale these to different sizes and drop a bunch into a crater at once and see the ensuing mayhem, but the "official use" is to find the bottom of a crater... feel free to incorporate into the mod, @FreeThinker , or not, up to you :)  I find it useful for surveying sites on places other than Minmus's "flats" biomes, however.

PART
{

// --- general parameters ---
name = LevelFinderSphere
module = Part
author = Zzz

// --- asset parameters ---
mesh = model.mu
scale = 1
rescaleFactor = 0.953

// --- node definitions ---
node_stack_bottom1 = 0.0, -1.22, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1 
node_stack_bottom2 = 0.0, -1.0, 0.70, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0 
//node_stack_bottom3 = 0.0, -1.0, -0.70, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0 

node_attach = 0.0, -1.22, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 1
node_stack_top = 0.0, 1.2, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0,  1

//node_stack_side01 = 0, 0, -1.225, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0
//node_stack_side02 = 0, 0, 1.225, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0

fx_gasBurst_white = -1.16832, 0.0, -0.0826454, -1.0, 0.0, 0.0, decouple
sound_vent_large = decouple

// --- editor parameters ---
TechRequired = specializedFuelStorage
entryCost = 8800
cost = 550
category = FuelTank
subcategory = 0
title = Level-Finding Sphere
manufacturer = Kerbin Drive Yards
description = For finding level ground, roll a giant ball.

// attachment rules: stack, srfAttach, allowStack, allowSrfAttach, allowCollision
attachRules = 0,1,0,0,0

// --- standard part parameters ---
mass = 5.0
dragModelType = default
maximum_drag = 0.2
minimum_drag = 0.3
angularDrag = 2
crashTolerance = 50
breakingForce = 50
breakingTorque = 50
maxTemp = 1200
fuelCrossFeed = True

stagingIcon = DECOUPLER_HOR
stageOffset = 1
childStageOffset = 1
bulkheadProfiles = srf

DRAG_CUBE
	{
		cube = Default, 4.303,0.6923,1.394, 4.303,0.6923,1.374, 4.289,0.6527,1.37, 4.289,0.6542,1.39, 4.305,0.6624,1.263, 4.305,0.6623,1.263, 0,6.771E-15,5.68E-08, 2.339,2.35,2.336
	}

MODULE
    	{
		name = TweakScale
		type = stack
    		defaultScale = 1

scaleFactors = 0.5, 0.75, 1, 1.5, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 12, 16, 24, 32, 48, 64
		scaleNames = 50%, 75%, 100%, 150%, 200%, 300%, 400%, 600%, 800%, 1200%, 1600%, 2400%, 3200%, 4800%, 6400%
    	}

MODULE
    	{
		name = ModuleAnchoredDecoupler
		anchorName = anchor
		ejectionForce = 0
		explosiveNodeID = srf
    	}

}

56 minutes ago, ss8913 said:

So...ial use" is to find the flat spot at the bottom of a crater.  Feel free to include in the next version, or disregard, at your leisure, @FreeThinker - it's literally just a .cfg change on top of the X11 fuel tank. if you take the X11 fuel tank and copy it to a differently named folder, and replace the .cfg with the text below... you get a 5t ball that can withstand 50 m/s of crash tolerance (and does not hold any fuel).  This ball rolls.  ie, to the bottom of a crater and finds the flat spot there.  Kind of a stone-age level-finder, but it works.  It's also entertaining to tweakscale these to different sizes and drop a bunch into a crater at once and see the ensuing mayhem, but the "official use" is to find the bottom of a crater... feel free to incorporate into the mod, @FreeThinker , or not, up to you :)  I find it useful for surveying sites on places other than Minmus's "flats" biomes, however.

PART
{

// --- general parameters ---
name = LevelFinderSphere
module = Part
author = Zzz

// --- asset parameters ---
mesh = model.mu
scale = 1
rescaleFactor = 0.953

// --- node definitions ---
node_stack_bottom1 = 0.0, -1.22, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1 
node_stack_bottom2 = 0.0, -1.0, 0.70, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0 
//node_stack_bottom3 = 0.0, -1.0, -0.70, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0 

node_attach = 0.0, -1.22, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 1
node_stack_top = 0.0, 1.2, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0,  1

//node_stack_side01 = 0, 0, -1.225, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0
//node_stack_side02 = 0, 0, 1.225, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0

fx_gasBurst_white = -1.16832, 0.0, -0.0826454, -1.0, 0.0, 0.0, decouple
sound_vent_large = decouple

// --- editor parameters ---
TechRequired = specializedFuelStorage
entryCost = 8800
cost = 550
category = FuelTank
subcategory = 0
title = Level-Finding Sphere
manufacturer = Kerbin Drive Yards
description = For finding level ground, roll a giant ball.

// attachment rules: stack, srfAttach, allowStack, allowSrfAttach, allowCollision
attachRules = 0,1,0,0,0

// --- standard part parameters ---
mass = 5.0
dragModelType = default
maximum_drag = 0.2
minimum_drag = 0.3
angularDrag = 2
crashTolerance = 50
breakingForce = 50
breakingTorque = 50
maxTemp = 1200
fuelCrossFeed = True

stagingIcon = DECOUPLER_HOR
stageOffset = 1
childStageOffset = 1
bulkheadProfiles = srf

DRAG_CUBE
	{
		cube = Default, 4.303,0.6923,1.394, 4.303,0.6923,1.374, 4.289,0.6527,1.37, 4.289,0.6542,1.39, 4.305,0.6624,1.263, 4.305,0.6623,1.263, 0,6.771E-15,5.68E-08, 2.339,2.35,2.336
	}

MODULE
    	{
		name = TweakScale
		type = stack
    		defaultScale = 1

scaleFactors = 0.5, 0.75, 1, 1.5, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 12, 16, 24, 32, 48, 64
		scaleNames = 50%, 75%, 100%, 150%, 200%, 300%, 400%, 600%, 800%, 1200%, 1600%, 2400%, 3200%, 4800%, 6400%
    	}

MODULE
    	{
		name = ModuleAnchoredDecoupler
		anchorName = anchor
		ejectionForce = 0
		explosiveNodeID = srf
    	}

}

It would be more useful if you could transport it folded up somehow.

On 8/4/2017 at 7:16 PM, Loren Pechtel said:

It would be more useful if you could transport it folded up somehow.

You can tweakscale it to whatever size.. fits handily inside any mk3 (maybe mk2 with enough scaling down) cargo bay... surface attach to the inside and it has its own decoupler just like the X11 tank.  single part, no mess, no fuss, and it rolls nicely :P

@FreeThinker or others who have been following the thread more diligently, is there a tutorial on how the new alcubierre FTL mechanics work?  Before, if I jumped from Kerbin to Duna and back to Kerbin again without applying any sublight thrust, I'd have approximately the same relative velocity with respect to Kerbin that I started with... now it's a huge deficit, I'm betting it has something to do with the "gravity drag" being displayed by the warpdrive unit, but I"m not precisely how to turn this to my advantage..?

I think I will explain with this picture where I approach a planet at 0.01c warp speed (could be any celestial body)

y5fzLPi.png

The general idea is you can make use of the gravity well of  celestial body to slow down exit speed relative to that celestial body. This will technically allow you to travel to any celestial body in the galaxy without excessive high remaining deltaV cost. A skilled pilot should even be able to get in a perfect orbit or land on a planet without spending any fuel. The trick is to drop out of warp at the right location. To help you with this, the Warp Control Interface tells you your exist speed, Apoapsis and Periapsis. If don't want to make use of gravity drage, simply don't get too near a gravity well.

Edited by FreeThinker

1 hour ago, FreeThinker said:

I think I will explain with this picture where I approach a planet at 0.01c warp speed (could be any celestial body)

y5fzLPi.png

The general idea is you can make use of the gravity well of  celestial body to slow down exit speed relative to that celestial body. This will technically allow you to travel to any celestial body in the galaxy without excessive high remaining deltaV cost. A skilled pilot should even be able to get in a perfect orbit or land on a planet without spending any fuel. The trick is to drop out of warp at the right location. To help you with this, the Warp Control Interface tells you your exist speed, Apoapsis and Periapsis. If don't want to make use of gravity drage, simply don't get too near a gravity well.

@FreeThinker should it be possible to add something like dV to capture, or dV to circularize, and eccentiricity readouts @exit from warp? I think that this is more immediate understanding.

Bye!

5 hours ago, Ciro1983811 said:

@FreeThinker should it be possible to add something like dV to capture, or dV to circularize, and eccentiricity readouts @exit from warp? I think that this is more immediate understanding.

Bye!

eccentiricity is easy, but how to calculate  dV to circularize given an orbital path?

Edit: I Found the following formula:

Circularization ∆V will be the difference between your speed at apoapsis and circular orbit speed. It is not dependent on mass at all.

Doing some simplification and substation (assuming I can math), this comes out to:

∆v_circ_burn = sqrt(mu/r_ap) - sqrt( (r_pe*mu) / (r_ap*(r_pe+r_ap)/2) ) 

r_ap = current apoapsis radius in meters (and the altitude you will circularize at)

r_pe = current periapsis radius in meters

mu = gravitational parameter for the body you are orbiting (3.5316x1012 m3 / s2 for Kerbin)

Edit - Note that r_ap and r_pe are radii from the center of the bodies, not the altitudes listed in map mode. So for Kerbin, they will be the altitudes listed on map mode plus 600000m

Which would translate into the following C#

public static double DeltaVToCircularize(Orbit orbit)
{
     var r_ap = orbit.ApR;
     var r_pe = orbit.PeR;
     var mu = orbit.referenceBody.gravParameter;

//∆v_circ_burn = sqrt(mu/r_ap) - sqrt( (r_pe*mu) / (r_ap*(r_pe+r_ap)/2) ) 
     return Math.Sqrt(mu / r_ap) - Math.Sqrt((r_pe * mu) / (r_ap * (r_pe + r_ap) / 2));
}

Let's see if this works

Edited by FreeThinker

Let's make a short testing trip

SNXHcPE.png

gPKUQjL.png

ligansp.png

DH7N30B.png

c2xI1FR.png

Final orbit after dropping out of warp. I slightly overshot my intended target. Still, I only need 391 m/s delta V to get in perfect circular orbit, which is a big difference without gravity breaking

Edited by FreeThinker

40 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Let's make a short testing trip

Final orbit after dropping out of warp. Just need 391 delta V to get in perfect circular orbit

That is amazing, that are some VERY nice additions that will make gravity assisted FTL exits much easier. You just need to make sure you have the power to put a negative exponent on your c multiplier (going ever slower than one c) to give you time to pick your best exit. Seems to cost just as much as going multiple c's. How is that by the way, what is the theoretical physics idea behing that (if any)?

13 minutes ago, DrScarlett said:

That is amazing, that are some VERY nice additions that will make gravity assisted FTL exits much easier. You just need to make sure you have the power to put a negative exponent on your c multiplier (going ever slower than one c) to give you time to pick your best exit. Seems to cost just as much as going multiple c's. How is that by the way, what is the theoretical physics idea behing that (if any)?

I... will have to try this again.  I tried going to Duna and things were... not easy like this.  I dropped out of warp at Duna after warping straight at it until I was only about 150km off the surface, still had thousands of dV to burn.. turned around, warped back to Kerbin, did similar, needed 14k dV to circularize.. is the trick to just go straight at the target, slowly?

19 minutes ago, ss8913 said:

I... will have to try this again.  I tried going to Duna and things were... not easy like this.  I dropped out of warp at Duna after warping straight at it until I was only about 150km off the surface, still had thousands of dV to burn.. turned around, warped back to Kerbin, did similar, needed 14k dV to circularize.. is the trick to just go straight at the target, slowly?

Opposite sides of Kerbol, perhaps?

29 minutes ago, ss8913 said:

What I usually do is drop out of warp outside the SOI of my destination, sometimes in the middle of my trip. This does two things: 1. It shows you the direction of your Kerbol related vector - which is exactly the vector you will retain when you drop out of warp around your target. 2. If I want I can then do an in between hop to use the change in my Kerbol orbit to get a more desirable vector. Kerbol gravity well shenanigans. :) 

Now using the new indications @FreeThinker has shown, you can use the gravity well to greatly affect this vector. But it helps very much to understand what this vector is to begin with. It lets you know whether you need to drop out in front, next to, above, below or, god forbid, behind your target body.

Edited by DrScarlett

7 minutes ago, DrScarlett said:

What I usually do is drop out of warp outside the SOI of my destination, sometimes in the middle of my trip. This does two things: 1. It shows you the direction of your Kerbol related vector - which is exactly the vector you will retain when you drop out of warp around your target. 2. If I want I can then do an in between hop to use the change in my Kerbol orbit to get a more desirable vector. Kerbol gravity well shenanigans. :) 

Now using the new indications @FreeThinker has shown, you can use the gravity well to greatly affect this vector. But it helps very much to understand what this vector is to begin with. It lets you know whether you need to drop out in front, next to, above, below or, god forbid, behind your target body.

so i want to drop out of warp so that my kerbol-relative vector is pointing directly *towards* my target?  or *away* from it?