KSP Interstellar Extended Support Thread

FreeThinker

2 hours ago, Qubit28 said:

I am having an issue using the Planetary Base Systems mod with KSPI.  I made a fairly complete base and then tried to add a Molten Salt Reactor and Thermoelectric Generator to it. Before docking to the base, the reactor showed a power output that was adjustable and the generator was producing electric power as well.  Immediately after docking with the base the reactor apparently shut off, showing 0 MW output.  The electric generator also went to zero.   Anyone else encounter this issue before?

Are there any radiators? any  pics?

3 hours ago, Qubit28 said:

I am having an issue using the Planetary Base Systems mod with KSPI.  I made a fairly complete base and then tried to add a Molten Salt Reactor and Thermoelectric Generator to it. Before docking to the base, the reactor showed a power output that was adjustable and the generator was producing electric power as well.  Immediately after docking with the base the reactor apparently shut off, showing 0 MW output.  The electric generator also went to zero.   Anyone else encounter this issue before?

Try saving and reloading. It seems docking/undocking can cause electric generators to shut off, saving/reloading seems to fix it.

8 hours ago, danielboro said:

alpha 1.15.0.1

im testing a 1.25 timberwind as an upgrade/replacement for the solid core.
after 15 minutes of running at 100% i get 1% of depleted fuel and max trust is not affected.
is this as intended ?

Iv tested filling the timberwind 100% with depleted fuel and its max thrust does not change.

'Reprocessing nuclear fuel' is not available for the timberwind and depleted fuel seems to do nothing but add some very minor weight to your ship.

It will also suck nuclear fuel from external tanks when it runs out. Its really an ideal engine IMO. WAYYY lighter then magnetized target+thermal nozzle too. Gets really high TWR when upgraded fully. I think it might even have higher TWR running liquid fuel then magnetized target+thermal nozzle running liquid fuel+oxidizer.

Turn off its on board generator and it will also idle at 0% power for no fuel usage for years, else it has like a 120 day lifespan on its on board fuel at 'generator active' levels.

Not sure how its spinup/down times compare, the core temp does tend to heat up over time and reduce thrust some in the timberwind but its still really good. just messes up mechjeb burn calculations some.

Edited by BlackMoons

49 minutes ago, BlackMoons said:

Iv tested filling the timberwind 100% with depleted fuel and its max thrust does not change.

'Reprocessing nuclear fuel' is not available for the timberwind and depleted fuel seems to do nothing but add some very minor weight to your ship.

It will also suck nuclear fuel from external tanks when it runs out. Its really an ideal engine IMO. WAYYY lighter then magnetized target+thermal nozzle too. Gets really high TWR when upgraded fully. I think it might even have higher TWR running liquid fuel then magnetized target+thermal nozzle running liquid fuel+oxidizer.

Turn off its on board generator and it will also idle at 0% power for no fuel usage for years, else it has like a 120 day lifespan on its on board fuel at 'generator active' levels.

Not sure how its spinup/down times compare, the core temp does tend to heat up over time and reduce thrust some in the timberwind but its still really good. just messes up mechjeb burn calculations some.

spinup was ~3 sec, way better then the solid core, spindown was near instant like the 1.12 solid core
im used to MJ messing calculations on the solid core, this will be an improvement :)
the only Q is is this the final stat?
in the move from 1.12 to 1.13 or 1.14 actinid damage was added to the solid core and longer spinup/down times
moving it from a long term space engine to a 1 mission engine

edit

"the core temp does tend to heat up over time and reduce thrust "
this i find as strange
the hotter the exhaust the higher the ISP and if the propellant flow is a constant trust should go up

Edited by danielboro

Just a quick question - is timewarp propulsion still a thing? I wasn't able to get it to work on Daedalus, and accelerating to relativistic speeds with 0.2 TWR using only physics-warp is kind of a pain. My current solution is just to leave the ship at full throttle in x4 phys-warp and go watch YouTube for a while :D

33 minutes ago, Axeon said:

Just a quick question - is timewarp propulsion still a thing? I wasn't able to get it to work on Daedalus, and accelerating to relativistic speeds with 0.2 TWR using. just put your thottle below 10% (minimum throttle and then timewarp only physics-warp is kind of a pain. My current solution is just to leave the ship at full throttle in x4 phys-warp and go watch YouTube for a while :D

it works, just put your throttle at minimum (below 10% i think) and then start timewarp. During timewarp if you select maximize thrust in the engine action menu, the acceleration and fuel consumption during timewarp will be like you where at full throttle.

1 hour ago, Axeon said:

Just a quick question - is timewarp propulsion still a thing? I wasn't able to get it to work on Daedalus, and accelerating to relativistic speeds with 0.2 TWR using only physics-warp is kind of a pain. My current solution is just to leave the ship at full throttle in x4 phys-warp and go watch YouTube for a while :D

you can use time control for physics warp, depend of computer you can increase 10-20 times or more... i use it for plane missions

Edited by Acvila

Just now, Acvila said:

you can use time control for physics warp, depend of computer you can increase 10-20 times or more...

nope! KSPI-Extended engines work also in physicless timewarp, the trick is, as I stated above, to put trottle at 10%, then warp normally, the timewarped applied thrust will be at max throttle

1 hour ago, Ciro1983811 said:

it works, just put your throttle at minimum (below 10% i think) and then start timewarp. During timewarp if you select maximize thrust in the engine action menu, the acceleration and fuel consumption during timewarp will be like you where at full throttle.

Didn't know that, thanks for the info!

Hey guys, does anyone know what is causing all this in my log? It's actually like 20 times longer than what you see in the screen, because it repeats over and over. It is only when the gamma ray spectrometer is on a ship. I am guessing it is probably a conflict with another mod, I have a lot. But this one part is the only issue I have noticed,

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx2wRQ9mF1AIQ2R5aGdDR1hzR1k

Edited by beta546

11 hours ago, danielboro said:

spinup was ~3 sec, way better then the solid core, spindown was near instant like the 1.12 solid core
im used to MJ messing calculations on the solid core, this will be an improvement :)
the only Q is is this the final stat?
in the move from 1.12 to 1.13 or 1.14 actinid damage was added to the solid core and longer spinup/down times
moving it from a long term space engine to a 1 mission engine

edit

"the core temp does tend to heat up over time and reduce thrust "
this i find as strange
the hotter the exhaust the higher the ISP and if the propellant flow is a constant trust should go up

Power output of the core itself also goes down with increasing core temp, and physwarp/timewarp does not currently decrease core temp faster then real time so the core only cools at a real time rate.

And again with the solid core you should get much better life with the generator disabled.

Edited by BlackMoons

@Ciro1983811 and all others,

has anyone ever successfully created a SSTW (single stage to warp) space plane? i would like to make an antimatter hauler that can take off and land as a plane to make it hop over to my Jool anti matter collector and bring AM back to the AM tanker down at KSC. I'll consider any other method that makes delivery to KSC easy, but a plane is the first thing that comes to mind. My first three tries were unsuccessful, but then again, I am not the most prolific plane builder (or flyer, for that matter).

Any hints, pointers or builds would be rather welcome at this point :)

2 hours ago, DrScarlett said:

@Ciro1983811 and all others,

has anyone ever successfully created a SSTW (single stage to warp) space plane? i would like to make an antimatter hauler that can take off and land as a plane to make it hop over to my Jool anti matter collector and bring AM back to the AM tanker down at KSC. I'll consider any other method that makes delivery to KSC easy, but a plane is the first thing that comes to mind. My first three tries were unsuccessful, but then again, I am not the most prolific plane builder (or flyer, for that matter).

Any hints, pointers or builds would be rather welcome at this point :)

You may try to make a SSTO spaceplane AND a warp stage that you can build once for all, as big as you like, and leave in orbit to dock with, with every speceplane or spaceship you may need. Make the warp stage as powerfull as you can, to be able to handle different weight to warp ratios.

1 minute ago, Ciro1983811 said:

You may try to make a SSTO spaceplane AND a warp stage that you can build once for all, as big as you like, and leave in orbit to dock with, with every speceplane or spaceship you may need. Make the warp stage as powerfull as you can, to be able to handle different weight to warp ratios.

I was kind of thinking you might suggest not not try to do it single stage. Thanks for confirming my suspicion.

Just now, DrScarlett said:

I was kind of thinking you might suggest not not try to do it single stage. Thanks for confirming my suspicion.

It's always better to build different specialized ships for different tasks. The warp stage may be useful to travel far away, but for normal tasks it's all added mass and complexity..

Oh, and you may take into account beamed power for intra-solarsystem trips... if you're able to build a good beamed power network system-wide,  collecting solar energy in low kerbol orbit and beaming it thru the whole system.

1 hour ago, DrScarlett said:

As far as I know, it is possible to build a spaceplane able to lift off from the runway, reach orbit and travel at warp speed, and there was a couple of them here, few months ago. The bestway to find it out, is to try by yourself, and you'll probably succeed.

@FreeThinker what do you think about a proper thread for Interstellar Extended ships?

39 minutes ago, Nansuchao said:

As far as I know, it is possible to build a spaceplane able to lift off from the runway, reach orbit and travel at warp speed, and there was a couple of them here, few months ago. The bestway to find it out, is to try by yourself, and you'll probably succeed.

@FreeThinker what do you think about a proper thread for Interstellar Extended ships?

Thank you for that encouragement, but I am below average with planes. I might make it when I stick to it for a very long time, but it is not going to be worth it for me. I will take the previously mentioned route.

I do like your idea ( @FreeThinker? ) of a dedicated KSPI ships thread, I feel like I am cluttering up this one at times.

8 hours ago, Ciro1983811 said:

It's always better to build different specialized ships for different tasks. The warp stage may be useful to travel far away, but for normal tasks it's all added mass and complexity..

Oh, and you may take into account beamed power for intra-solarsystem trips... if you're able to build a good beamed power network system-wide,  collecting solar energy in low kerbol orbit and beaming it thru the whole system.

AFAIK you still can't beam energy in KSPi long enough distances to be worth trying to make a low-kerbol collector array. Especially when its so easy to launch 5GW beam power reactors once you tech up enough. The next version of KSPi with much shorter wavelengths for beamed power may change that however.

Edited by BlackMoons

1 hour ago, BlackMoons said:

AFAIK you still can't beam energy in KSPi long enough distances to be worth trying to make a low-kerbol collector array. Especially when its so easy to launch 5GW beam power reactors once you tech up enough. The next version of KSPi with much shorter wavelengths for beamed power may change that however.

With sufficient solar panels, and with some relays across the system, it's already been done. I remember scott manley interstellar quest video series, he built something with like 100 gigantor xl panels each sat in low kerbol orbit, more than 10 sats generating something like 10 GW each one, beamed in far uv ... and relayed by 4 relay in solar orbit at dres distance. all system covered, at eloo distance it was something like 0,8 - 1GW available to receivers

And another snag :(

Launched my antimatter hauler, went to get the first batch of antimatter at the collector around Kerbin to get enough for the FTL trip to Jool to get a whole lot more there. Docked with the collector, moved the AM over, undocked and (beside the need for a reload again, the issue previously mentioned where you have to reload in order to get the electrical systems working again) now the AM reactor is not working,not showing up in the stats except at theoretical waste heat strangely enough.

@FreeThinker or anyone - any ideas? Am I doing something wrong?

y4m0h5u6Lc1TkHt2hjn4mw1J9QVYaIE1wbR2YU9j

13 minutes ago, DrScarlett said:

And another snag :(

Launched my antimatter hauler, went to get the first batch of antimatter at the collector around Kerbin to get enough for the FTL trip to Jool to get a whole lot more there. Docked with the collector, moved the AM over, undocked and (beside the need for a reload again, the issue previously mentioned where you have to reload in order to get the electrical systems working again) now the AM reactor is not working,not showing up in the stats except at theoretical waste heat strangely enough.

@FreeThinker or anyone - any ideas? Am I doing something wrong?

y4m0h5u6Lc1TkHt2hjn4mw1J9QVYaIE1wbR2YU9j

I think it is working but not showing because it is dormant and tries to preserve your antimatter (antimatter is expensive you know). Only if you would request more power than the Tri Alpha would be able to handle it would become active.

To test, try charging your warp drive, it should kick into action.

Edited by FreeThinker

6 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

I think it is working but not showing because it is dormant and tries to preserve your antimatter (antimatter is expensive you know). Only if you would request more power than the Tri Alpha would be able to handle it would become active.

To test, try charging your warp drive, it should kick into action.

That's the problem - not enough power to create a stable warp field :(