KSP Interstellar Extended Support Thread

FreeThinker

19 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Ok, then I suggest you  install 1.15.0.2 Where I think I solved this particular problem

Do you think you can explain a bit more about the issue? Will I for instance have to revert before launch so the then new reactor will fire up after having been empty once I fill her up with AM?

30 minutes ago, DrScarlett said:

Do you think you can explain a bit more about the issue? Will I for instance have to revert before launch so the then new reactor will fire up after having been empty once I fill her up with AM?

Well its complicated but in simple terms the reactor is calling with the wrong power distribution broker

1 minute ago, trias702 said:

@FreeThinker

I have a small question about how the Gamma Ray Spectrometer should work in KSPI-E: when I right click on this part and select "Display Uranium Hot Spots", where should I then be seeing those hotspots? In map view? On KerbNet?

It used to be able to show them in the live view but it is deprecated and replaced by KerbNet

Just now, FreeThinker said:

It used to be able to show them in the live view but it is deprecated and replaced by KerbNet

Meaning the FNResourceScanner module as a whole is deprecated and should no longer be assigned in the part.cfg file? Or, that the Uranium hotspots should be appearing in vanilla KerbNet when using FNResourceScanner?

10 minutes ago, trias702 said:

Meaning the FNResourceScanner module as a whole is deprecated and should no longer be assigned in the part.cfg file? Or, that the Uranium hotspots should be appearing in vanilla KerbNet when using FNResourceScanner?

For now I would say FNResourceScanner  is completely deprecated and instead should use a stock resource scanner for detecting radioactive resources

2 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Well its complicated but in simple terms the reactor is calling with the wrong power distribution broker

2 hours ago, DrScarlett said:

Aaah that sounds like it has nothing to do with starting off without AM fuel. Good :) Thanks again :) 

When I launch the thing with already some AM in the containers from the VAB, same happens. Does that mean AM reactors are just currently out of order period?

1 hour ago, DrScarlett said:

When I launch the thing with already some AM in the containers from the VAB, same happens. Does that mean AM reactors are just currently out of order period?

weird, It should work right out of the VAB. It always did

Perhaps this is a silly question but could you show me how the AM reactor is actually connected to the generator(s), because I don't see it in picture on the vessel

I'm starting to get the feeling this is a part configuration problem. I think I should add some fields to the reactor screen which indicates how it is connected to any generators

Edited by FreeThinker

3 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

For now I would say FNResourceScanner  is completely deprecated and instead should use a stock resource scanner for detecting radioactive resources

Ok, thank you for clarifying.

One other quick question: in order to use the Seawater Extractor (aka Ocean Extraction) refinery mode, you MUST have some amount of air intakes on your vessel or otherwise the vessel will not suck up any water, is this correct?

9 minutes ago, trias702 said:

Ok, thank you for clarifying.

One other quick question: in order to use the Seawater Extractor (aka Ocean Extraction) refinery mode, you MUST have some amount of air intakes on your vessel or otherwise the vessel will not suck up any water, is this correct?

There are basically 2 modes, direct intake (using air intakes) or indirect mode from the intermediate resource LqdIntake (which might be a pump). They can work at the same time but are limited by a total maximum. It means you can use a separate tanker which collects LqdIntake from any valid location, transport to a refinery and convert it at the refinery to resources (appropriate for the location)

Edited by FreeThinker

3 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

There are basically 2 modes, direct intake or indirect mode from the intermediate resource LqdIntake. They can work at the same time but are limited by a total maximum. It means you can use a separate tanker which collects LqdIntake from any valid location, transport to a refinery and convert it at the refinery to resources (appropriate for the location)

Hmm, but then how does one acquire LqdIntake?

Perhaps I should ask this in a different way: if I'm designing a vessel which I want to land in the ocean, suck up water, and create deuterium right there and then, what parts do I absolutely have to put on my vessel in order to accomplish this (besides the ISRU)?

11 minutes ago, trias702 said:

Hmm, but then how does one acquire LqdIntake?

Perhaps I should ask this in a different way: if I'm designing a vessel which I want to land in the ocean, suck up water, and create deuterium right there and then, what parts do I absolutely have to put on my vessel in order to accomplish this (besides the ISRU)?

The most reliable method would be to have an air intake that can go below the water surface when landed/splashed. Intake depends on surface area and percentage submerged. When the ISRU has direct access to the ocean, it should also be effective during offline

Edited by FreeThinker

5 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

The most reliable method would be to have an air intake that can go below the water surface when landed/splashed. Intake depends on surface area and percentage submerged. When the ISRU has direct access to the ocean, it should also be effective during offline

What does "offline" mean in this context? Does this just mean if I submerge the ISRU itself I'll be able to make deuterium from sea water, thus not needing any intakes?

23 minutes ago, trias702 said:

What does "offline" mean in this context? Does this just mean if I submerge the ISRU itself I'll be able to make deuterium from sea water, thus not needing any intakes?

Offline means it will simulate continued processing when the vessel is not loaded. It is applied at load. It means that if you splash your vessel in the ocean, you can active Sea Water refinement, switch to another vessel, switch back after a day and notice it has continued processing. This is usually the preferred way

Edited by FreeThinker

12 hours ago, Ciro1983811 said:

With sufficient solar panels, and with some relays across the system, it's already been done. I remember scott manley interstellar quest video series, he built something with like 100 gigantor xl panels each sat in low kerbol orbit, more than 10 sats generating something like 10 GW each one, beamed in far uv ... and relayed by 4 relay in solar orbit at dres distance. all system covered, at eloo distance it was something like 0,8 - 1GW available to receivers

With what receiver diameter? Also 1GW is hardly enough to do more then move a probe around. 1% transmission is pretty damn poor when you could have likely put a 5GW reactor around every planet in the solar system for the same price as all those huge sats.

11 hours ago, DrScarlett said:

That's the problem - not enough power to create a stable warp field :( 

Known issues. (quick)save and reload as generators often go offline after undocking.

6 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

There are basically 2 modes, direct intake (using air intakes) or indirect mode from the intermediate resource LqdIntake (which might be a pump). They can work at the same time but are limited by a total maximum. It means you can use a separate tanker which collects LqdIntake from any valid location, transport to a refinery and convert it at the refinery to resources (appropriate for the location)

Ohhh you need air intakes? That is likely why it was not working for me earlyer. PS using drills for LqdIntake is very bugged. they constantly want to shut off on me when LqdIntake reached full and it was very hard to get them to not shut down to allow converters to keep running at timewarp. I think it has to do with the fact they suck up 100unit/second of lqdintake, way more then any other resource and converters can't keep up for the life of them.

Edited by BlackMoons

One thing I've never understood about the fusion reactors... why do they require a constant source of power (other than themselves) to stay running?  once they're going, shouldn't they be able to power themselves for plasma heating/etc?

8 hours ago, ss8913 said:

One thing I've never understood about the fusion reactors... why do they require a constant source of power (other than themselves) to stay running?  once they're going, shouldn't they be able to power themselves for plasma heating/etc?

Well for inertial confinement you always need to apply a high amount of power before you briefly create the conditions where fusion can take place. For magnetic confinement, we might reason that it might sustain itself but the fact is that it will lose power very fast to its environment due to the extremely high temperature of the plasma which will radiate all power away in a matter of seconds. This is especially true for D-T fusion where 80% of all power neutronic is never absorbed by the plasma. Therefore you need to constantly apply power to keep it running.

Notice that I implicitly assume that future technology requires much less power to achieve and maintain fusion than early fusion. Every reactor generation has a property called the Q-factor, which affect the amount of power needed to maintain fusion. A Q- factor of 1 means it produces as much fusion power as it requires power. A High Q-Factor will translate in reduced power requirement.

Edited by FreeThinker

19 hours ago, BlackMoons said:

Ohhh you need air intakes? That is likely why it was not working for me earlyer. PS using drills for LqdIntake is very bugged. they constantly want to shut off on me when LqdIntake reached full and it was very hard to get them to not shut down to allow converters to keep running at timewarp. I think it has to do with the fact they suck up 100unit/second of lqdintake, way more then any other resource and converters can't keep up for the life of them.

Wait, you can use drills to suck up LqdIntake? Which drills allow this?

@FreeThinker

I have a question about the CT250x fuel tanks which come packaged with InterstellarFuelSwitch. All of these tanks have various InterstellarResourceConverter modules on them, one for each gas<->liquid combo. However, all of these resource converters have requiresPrimaryLocalInEditor/requiresPrimaryLocalInEditor  set to true, which means the converter will only appear if that part itself has the primary resource in question. What is the point of having these converters attached to the tanks? Can they convert in real-time? For example, if I have a CT2502 tank for LqdDeuterium, and I have a Regolith Processor generating DeuteriumGas. Will the gas immediately turn into a liquid and go into the CT2502 tank? And is it the ResourceConverter alone which allows this to happen?

2 hours ago, trias702 said:

@FreeThinker

I have a question about the CT250x fuel tanks which come packaged with InterstellarFuelSwitch. All of these tanks have various InterstellarResourceConverter modules on them, one for each gas<->liquid combo. However, all of these resource converters have requiresPrimaryLocalInEditor/requiresPrimaryLocalInEditor  set to true, which means the converter will only appear if that part itself has the primary resource in question. What is the point of having these converters attached to the tanks? Can they convert in real-time? For example, if I have a CT2502 tank for LqdDeuterium, and I have a Regolith Processor generating DeuteriumGas. Will the gas immediately turn into a liquid and go into the CT2502 tank? And is it the ResourceConverter alone which allows this to happen?

Depending on the setting of the auto converter, yes you can. The auto converter will aim for a percentage between 2 resources, if set all the way to the left, it will try to convert everything to the left resource until there is no more room, likewise set to the right it will try to convert to the right. This works most conveniently worth the Overcapacity where you can set it 1% and ensure that you will not run out of power and will automatically charge if you have plenty of power from unreliable power sources like solar panels.

Note that the auto convert is also available separately in a part module with universal storage installed in to form of a universal refrigerator or universal gasifier, as the name implies it allows you to convert between gas and liquid state

Edited by FreeThinker