KSP Interstellar Extended Support Thread

FreeThinker

Still cannot get the singularity reactor to work and that was with a 14 GW Tri-alpha reactor for a power source for a scale 5 singularity reactor which posts a maintenance demand of 6400 Mj, not sure what I'm doing wrong or if the reactor is bugged. Ah, nevermind, I just saw freethinker's prior post. I'm not testing it in 0 g. That may be the last trick.

Edited by Maelstrom Vortex

30 minutes ago, Maelstrom Vortex said:

Still cannot get the singularity reactor to work and that was with a 14 GW Tri-alpha reactor for a power source for a scale 5 singularity reactor which posts a maintenance demand of 6400 Mj, not sure what I'm doing wrong or if the reactor is bugged. Ah, nevermind, I just saw freethinker's prior post. I'm not testing it in 0 g. That may be the last trick.

yeah, has to be no atmosphere, 0G, and the ship can't be under any kind of acceleration.

Testing it now on my stream, in 0 G, no atmosphere, power pre-reqs met, still no output. Trying to use it to power a broadcast antennae for a far-hard x-ray.

https://www.twitch.tv/maelstrom_vortex

If you want to see my test rig and tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Here's a clip of the test rig I have set up that will not produce power from the singularity reactor.
https://clips.twitch.tv/ResoluteBetterGoblinBloodTrail

Is the charged particle electrical generator supposed to be capped at 4 GW output no matter its scale? If it isn't, how are you ever supposed to access even a fraction of the power potential of antimatter and singularity reactors? Tweak scale may not be scaling the generator output, from what I have seen in previous comments, it is supposed to.

Hi everyone...

having just discovered this absolutely amazing mod, i'm trying to get the very basics to work.
So, i placed a Solid core reactor on a jet fuel tank, and... it doesn't work.

Am i a complete idiot ? What am i doing wrong ? This part being both a reactor and an engine, what is missing ?

I realize this is an completely noob question, but... hum... help !:o

12 hours ago, Maelstrom Vortex said:

Is the charged particle electrical generator supposed to be capped at 4 GW output no matter its scale? If it isn't, how are you ever supposed to access even a fraction of the power potential of antimatter and singularity reactors? Tweak scale may not be scaling the generator output, from what I have seen in previous comments, it is supposed to.

The QSR has a built-in electric generator, you don't need an external one... at least not last I checked.  You did fill up the hydrogen fuel on the QSR, right?  and you right click the QSR and push the startup button at the top of the context menu?  If the button isn't there it'll tell you your current acceleration/etc, and so stop moving.. button appears, you push it, it has to form an initial charge to get going (your antimatter/external CP electric gen hooked up to the antimatter reactor provide this power), and then it starts running... and getting very very hot unless you have some extremely large umbrella radiators deployed and ready to handle the output.

I know the button you speak of from other chargeable fusion reactors. The button does not appear to be present in 1.3.1 and I am not under acceleration at the time that I check for it. There is an activate reactor button and yes, fuel is present. Please, please please.. I provided a clip, all the questions you are asking would have been answered with even the most briefest of a glance.

The singularity reactor's control windows is in the upper left. It shows active, but 0 power produced. Even when the transmitter is turned on. The start up button I have seen on other fusion reactors is not present on the singularity pop-up gui, but there is a button to activate the reactor. I hit it, but it literally just goes into an active mode and does not appear to produce power.

Here's an image link that displays the interface:

pgZocvW.png

There's an activate/deactivate reactor button that I've been using, but from what I've seen it does not initiate any charge functions or anything like that. The same button is present on tri-alpha, but tri-alpha's start in the active state. I've tried restarting tri-alphas, and that works.. some of the time.. using the activate reactor button. I think something's missing from the operational code for these reactors.

14 hours ago, Tryphon said:

Hi everyone...

having just discovered this absolutely amazing mod, i'm trying to get the very basics to work.
So, i placed a Solid core reactor on a jet fuel tank, and... it doesn't work.

Am i a complete idiot ? What am i doing wrong ? This part being both a reactor and an engine, what is missing ?

I realize this is an completely noob question, but... hum... help !:o

Can you show a pics of your test ship? Are you on career or sandbox? Do you have radiators?

5 hours ago, Maelstrom Vortex said:

There's an activate/deactivate reactor button that I've been using, but from what I've seen it does not initiate any charge functions or anything like that. The same button is present on tri-alpha, but tri-alpha's start in the active state. I've tried restarting tri-alphas, and that works.. some of the time.. using the activate reactor button. I think something's missing from the operational code for these reactors.

To lunch QSR you need to do it by right click menu and the right click menu only! It will not work if you use activate/deactivate in reactor control window.
"Startup" button in the right click menu disappears when you hit "activate" in reactor control window, so first you need to deactivate, then right click, push start button. Start is not instant, QSR needs to charge (speed depends on the output of secondary power source), wait until it is done.

5 hours ago, Nansuchao said:

Can you show a pics of your test ship? Are you on career or sandbox? Do you have radiators?

I'm on career mode, do have radiators. 
For whatever reason, i looks like i can't post pics. My test ship is as simple as can be : command pod, a basic fuel tank, the solid core engine, two radiators attached to it.

The start up button never appears.. at all.. even before anything is pressed in the reactor control window. Perhaps I haven't made that clear. I've started and stopped fusion reactors a bazillion times. i know where it should be located and how it should function. I have one of the most extravagant beamed power array relay systems in any campaign I know of including conversions between different bands of power and using multiple reactor types.

This isn't a, "This guy has never started a fusion reactor or similar reactor" issue, this is a "the startup button is NOT on the menu at any time" issue for the QSR in 1.3.1.

Before anything is even touched, on load, there is an activate reactor button on the right click menu as you see on my last screen shot where the deactivate reactor button is displayed in that image.  There is no startup button at the top as one might expected. That is the only thing that hints at turning the QSR off or on from the right click menu in 1.3.1 as far as I have seen. I have seen 0 start up button as in 1.3.0 and when I hit activate reactor it has the same duplicate effect as if I were to hit activate reactor inside the reactor control window.. nothing. So the ability to charge the reactor appears to be missing altogether.

8 hours ago, Tryphon said:

I'm on career mode, do have radiators. 
For whatever reason, i looks like i can't post pics. My test ship is as simple as can be : command pod, a basic fuel tank, the solid core engine, two radiators attached to it.

Be sure to check that the fuel you have in the tank is the same that the engine request, case when it's just unlocked, many engines can use just few propellants.

To share a pics, just upload it on Imgur and copy/paste the link here.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/204311263

Here's what I'm experiencing in full detail. Time starts at 6 minutes at construction, testing lasts til about 1 hour when I give up. Beginning to suspect an interaction with a mod that changes how the right click menu is displayed, but which one I would have no idea. The start button works in 1.3.0 The charge field is even clearly visible, but is not populated.

@FreeThinker Should I still be manually removing the USF/NF patch or should I use that with patch manager and would removing that patch cause this behavior? Because that's the only manual modification I make to the warp plugin install.

@Mine_Turtle, @FreeThinker .. regarding the multiple antimatter/thermal engine issue that I reported... is there anything I can do to help?  I'm a programmer, but not in C# really, and I'm unfamiliar with the codebase to the point where I'm not sure what "broke" - ie, this used to work fine in the last 1.3.0-compatible release.. 
I'm also going to test later and see if this problem affects electric engines (ie ATILLA) in the same way that it does the thermal engines.  Unfortunately my space program kinda depends extremely heavily on the ability to use multiple engines at once, so.. I need to do what I can to get this fixed; please let me know what I can do to help, if anything, I don't want to just complain and expect other people to handle it :)

14 minutes ago, Maelstrom Vortex said:

@ss8913 If I were you, I'd check out the source code repository on github and perhaps put your suggestion files here or as a suggestion on github.

there's issues opened already... @Mine_Turtle has looked into it a bit and says the fix isn't easy... hoping there's something I can do to help.

It probably is pretty complex. I imagine you'd have to divide the power received by the receiver by the number of engines, then count the node hops between each engine and the source to reduce the amount of thermal supply to account for distance and then apply that power to the engines. Then if you used multiple receivers you'd have to do some sort of nearest-path routing to the nearest thermal engine to link the right receiver and engine.

2 minutes ago, Maelstrom Vortex said:

It probably is pretty complex. I imagine you'd have to divide the power received by the receiver by the number of engines, then count the node hops between each engine and the source to reduce the amount of thermal supply to account for distance and then apply that power to the engines. Then if you used multiple receivers you'd have to do some sort of nearest-path routing to the nearest thermal engine to link the right receiver and engine.

that seems reasonable.  In previous versions of this mod, the bug didn't exist, so.. need to find out what changed.  I haven't looked at the code myself yet but I will.. not sure I can add much since I don't know the full story of why certain pieces are going to be the way they are, etc.. I'm sure there's reasons behind the change(s) that were made, so the trick is not to break anything in the process...

3 hours ago, ss8913 said:

that seems reasonable.  In previous versions of this mod, the bug didn't exist, so.. need to find out what changed.  I haven't looked at the code myself yet but I will.. not sure I can add much since I don't know the full story of why certain pieces are going to be the way they are, etc.. I'm sure there's reasons behind the change(s) that were made, so the trick is not to break anything in the process...

UPDATE: Electric engines such as the ATILLA do *not* exhibit this overheat behavior... so I suppose that is my workaround for now.  Hopefully this info will help isolate the problem better?