KSP Interstellar Extended Support Thread

FreeThinker

Uranium Nitride produces in the ISRU way too fast.   It just produced 160,000 in a single frame.  It also used up all of my UF4 and I have no idea how much more it could have produced but apparently wasted the extra UF4 since it was all in the same frame. 

On 12/9/2017 at 5:36 AM, etmoonshade said:

Any insight into why my fancy fusion reactor is only generating about 10MW heat?

https://imgur.com/a/meT62

As far as I can tell, this should be generating 80% of its power as heat, and that should certainly be in the GW range. Using it wrong, bug, or other?

KSPI has the patch to lower the output if it finds NF

its not an NF patch

There are still multiple bugs (using latest beta version):
1. Blanket receivers cause extreme lag with FAR present when upscaled and deployed to largest sizes - I had to restart computer as FAR ate all my RAM and gave hard time to my poor old hard drive.
2. There are lag spikes caused by FAR when magnetic scoop is present in VAB/SPH even without scaling - it has to do with voxelization.
3. There is scale description mismatch for TORY Ramjet - its size says is 5m part, while it fits nicely with 2.5m part.
When downscaled to 1.25m part it fits 0.625m part.

Spoiler

lzIGZ7t.jpg
N6jZzGi.jpg

4. There is bug with Interstellar Thermal Mechanic Helper and Magnetized Target Fusion Reactor and Plasma Jet Internal Magnetic Fusion Reactor: Thermal Helper shows 1000x less power(Total Heat Production)  than actual power rating of reactor.

Spoiler

gECp3I0.jpg
b26MCE2.jpg

5. Infinite Propellant cheat doesn't work for ISRU (would be useful for testing)

Spoiler

EOoT6Ms.jpg

6. Power requested depends on propellant efficiency for electrical engines (using infinite electricity, no max temp and infinite propellant to remove these factors)

Spoiler

RDQw462.jpg
CYGzbDW.jpg
joGtp9b.jpg
vq1EBSB.jpg

7. Solar/Interstellar material gathering rate doesn't change if I turn ionization in magnetic scoop on/off.

Spoiler

btoIfGI.jpg
jS8jJzi.jpg

Edited by raxo2222
Lmao had to edit my post on forums of 1000x smaller community to fix spoilers

A new release of KSPI 1.16.3 is available from here

Changelog

* Added Bussard Magnetic Scoop which can collect from either atmospheres, interstellar medium or solar wind

* Added Bussard Fusion Engine

* Added Alcubiere Drive simultaneous ring deployment

* Added Chinese localization

* Added Muon Catalyzed Fusion reactor which which is specialized integrated gamma energy direct converter

* Added proton-proton and proton-Deuterium Fusion modes to Muon Catalyzed Fusion reactor

* Rebalanced Alcubiere mass scaling, making larger vessel easier

* Rebalanced Heavy XI Alcubierre Drive, reduce mass by 33% while maintaining same warp power

* Rebalanced reduced electric power cost Alcubiere Warp drive by 50%

* Fixed extreme drag cause by FAR in combination with magnetic scoop

* Fixed Magnetic Scoop interstellar resource collection to be affected by vessel speed

* Fixed Wasteheat overheating issue with multiple reactors

* Fixed Megajoule leaching issue causing stored power to evaporate

* Fixed error message with Module Manager 3.0.x

* Fixed mass consumption and production in Reaction Info Window

* Fixed Power Management issues

* Fixed Functioning Super capacitor functionality of  Computer cores

Edited by FreeThinker

14 hours ago, danielboro said:

KSPI has the patch to lower the output if it finds NF

its not an NF patch

Except...

On 12/8/2017 at 8:11 PM, etmoonshade said:

Yes, but I've deleted all patches relating to those mods and cleared the MM cache. Unless there's something that's NOT MM-based that's detecting the NFT stuff...

Edit: Just to clarify, this is the first thing I thought of - that I'd missed one of the NF patches - but all the rest of my reactors are outputting power as expected, i.e. ~1MJ == 1MW.

I'll put the new version in and see if it's fixed - looks like there's a couple of power fixes in there...

Quick edit: I see where I may have been unclear now that I'm re-reading the post. I'm well aware that the patches are distributed with KSPI, and those are the patches I deleted - hence my confusion at all the other reactors outputting the correct amount of power. :)

Edited by etmoonshade

3 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

A new release of KSPI 1.16.3 is available from here

Changelog

* Added Bussard Magnetic Scoop which can collect from either atmospheres, interstellar medium or solar wind

* Added Bussard Fusion Engine

* Added Alcubiere Drive simultaneous ring deployment

* Added Chinese localization

* Added Muon Catalyzed Fusion reactor which which is specialized integrated gamma energy direct converter

* Added proton-proton and proton-Deuterium Fusion modes to Muon Catalyzed Fusion reactor

* Rebalanced Alcubiere mass scaling, making larger vessel easier

* Rebalanced Heavy XI Alcubierre Drive, reduce mass by 33% while maintaining same warp power

* Rebalanced reduced electric power cost Alcubiere Warp drive by 50%

* Fixed extreme drag cause by FAR in combination with magnetic scoop

* Fixed Magnetic Scoop interstellar resource collection to be affected by vessel speed

* Fixed Wasteheat overheating issue with multiple reactors

* Fixed Megajoule leaching issue causing stored power to evaporate

* Fixed error message with Module Manager 3.0.x

* Fixed mass consumption and production in Reaction Info Window

* Fixed Power Management issues

* Fixed Functioning Super capacitor functionality of  Computer cores

you are the wind beneath my wings... wait, no, that's ferram4.. you're the... thrust behind my kerbals.  quite literally.  Thanks so much for this update!!

Question about Inline Thermal Receiver Mk1 and IR mirror relays:  I built several 4GW IR boats and parked them east of KSC.  There is also a ring of IR mirror satellites in orbit at 680,000km.  I launched a ship using the inline receiver mk1 and used the launch profile that someone on this thread suggested (fly straight up until about 40km then turn horizontal).  This was enough to get me really close to a circular orbit while still having line of sight with the IR generating boats.

But after I left line of sight, I could get no power to the Receiver despite being connected to the power relays.  This is my first attempt at building a beamed power network, so I am not entirely sure what should and should not work.  There is always a mirror that is aligned with the sides of the receiver and most of the dot sizes that I can see are smaller than the receiver size.  My receiver should be getting its power from the mirror that is best aligned with it right?

Edit: for reasons I do not understand, the mirrors now appear to be working.

Edited by Uberns

Holy cow this beam powered launcher has simplified my orbital construction!  It took alot to set up the reactors initially and several hours worth of tinkering with sizes and fuels to get it right.  But, now I don't have to construct those crazy asparagus lower stages to get station/mothership sections into orbit.

1 hour ago, TheSaltyOne said:

whats ckan?

You know the forum gives you a tooltip if you mouse over CKAN. Anyway it's a mod manager. You tell it what mods you want; it downloads them, installs them and keeps them up to date. It does the same for any dependencies the mods need. Not all mods are available on it however.

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/154922-ckan-the-comprehensive-kerbal-archive-network-v1226-guiana/

On 12/12/2017 at 12:57 PM, Uberns said:

Holy cow this beam powered launcher has simplified my orbital construction!  It took alot to set up the reactors initially and several hours worth of tinkering with sizes and fuels to get it right.  But, now I don't have to construct those crazy asparagus lower stages to get station/mothership sections into orbit.

Same with me.  I put a high-power beam transmitter near the launch site for EASY  beam powered takeoffs and another transmitter on the surface on the other side of Kerbin.  Then 2 relays in polar orbit perpendicular and 1 relay in longitudinal orbit - That's enough to keep power coming from beneath at all times. There's also a network of relays and re-transmitters (in near-infrared and microwave) from a single X-Ray laser source that powers the whole solar system.

Dumb question:

It seems most of this (all the KSPIE stuff) and atomic theory was well understood back in the 1950's and NASA has working examples in the 60's.  Even back in the 50's some people knew plasma thrusters was needed for people to travel to Mars and beyond.   Progress will stop forever because someone might use it for a destructive purpose?  I guess there must be some technical reason why 2017 is nothing like 2001.  I don't think it's about cost because molten salt reactor will actually cost less and safer than the traditional uranium/water based reactors (but can't make plutonium from the waste like the governments wanted).  Fusion also uses a much cheaper fuel (except for 3He).  etc etc.  I hope KSPIE can make people stop thinking like they did about rockets 60+ years ago. Too lazy to get sources and I'm not a physicist, but I think many will agree.    my 2 cents worth.

Edited by enewmen

9 minutes ago, enewmen said:

Same with me.  I put a high-power beam transmitter near the launch site for easy takeoffs and another on the surface on the other size of Kerbin.  Then 2 relays in polar orbit perpendicular and 1 relay in longitudinal orbit - That's enough to keep power coming from beneath at all times. There's also a network of relays and re-transmitters (in near-infrared and microwave) from a single X-Ray laser source that powers the whole solar system.

Dumb question:

It seems most of this (all the KSPIE stuff) and atomic theory was well understood back in the 1950's and NASA has working examples in the 60's.  Even back in the 50's some people knew plasma thrusters was needed for people to travel to Mars and beyond.   Progress will stop forever because someone might use it for a destructive purpose?  I guess there must be some technical reason why 2017 is nothing like 2001.  I don't think it's about cost because molten salt reactor will actually cost less and safer than the traditional uranium/water based reactors (but can't make plutonium from the waste like the governments wanted).  Fusion also uses a much cheaper fuel.  etc etc.  I hope KSPIE can make people stop thinking like they did about rockets 60+ years ago. Too lazy to get sources, but I think most will agree.    my 2 cents worth.

why are you using asparagus staging when you have KSPIE's engines available...?

27 minutes ago, ss8913 said:

why are you using asparagus staging when you have KSPIE's engines available...?

"But, now I don't have to construct those crazy asparagus lower stages to get station/mothership sections into orbit."

7 hours ago, Uberns said:

"But, now I don't have to construct those crazy asparagus lower stages to get station/mothership sections into orbit."

you said that as a result of beamed power.. I should have been more clear, why *were* you using asparagus before beamed power, when the onboard-powered engines in KSPIE are more than up to the task of launching without asparagus... something like that :)

1 minute ago, ss8913 said:

you said that as a result of beamed power.. I should have been more clear, why *were* you using asparagus before beamed power, when the onboard-powered engines in KSPIE are more than up to the task of launching without asparagus... something like that :)

Maybe his rule is "no nuclear powered launches" :P

15 minutes ago, raxo2222 said:

Maybe his rule is "no nuclear powered launches" :P

I suppose if he's playing with implied EPA/OSHA standards (or equivalent bodies in his country of origin, those are the US ones), then that could be a thing, ... you definitely need nuclear launches to get that kind of power :)

Just now, ss8913 said:

I suppose if he's playing with implied EPA/OSHA standards (or equivalent bodies in his country of origin, those are the US ones), then that could be a thing, ... you definitely need nuclear launches to get that kind of power :)

You can research first nuclear and microwave stuff simultaneously if you wanted to.

Stationary nuclear powered laser beam nearby launch site is valid strategy too.

54 minutes ago, ss8913 said:

Can't speak for Uberns, but I have to admit that I've been RPing it just that way. In my current RSS campaign I allow no nuclear rocket launches from Earth. Once in space, anything goes.

Also, depending on how you advance along your science tree, you can get to beamed power before heavy lift nukes -- or at least you can in my somewhat modified tree.

2 hours ago, ss8913 said:

Oooh.  Well that makes a lot more sense haha.  I have not unlocked most of the upper part of the tree because I am worried that those technologies will make the game too easy.  Eventually I will need them once I start sending manned missions to the outer planets and nearby star system.  So I do not yet know what is possible with the more advanced engines/power plants.

I play my games with science income set to 10-30% and do not allow the use of labs for generating science.  I also do not allow myself to rush any engine technology and I use USI's Kolonization and LS mods.  Completely "harvesting" a planet only yields enough science to unlock a handful of nodes and I intentionally do not unlock the tree in a way that makes progression easy.  To that end, the highest nuclear tech that I have unlocked so far is the upgraded molten salt reactor and the upgraded solid core nuke engine.

may just be me but i updated and now my timberwind engines request a reactor... - tacking on a molten salt one allowed it to pick a fuel.. at 300 isp and 127 thrust ><

tried deleting entire warp plugin file - no change

deleted all of ksp (keeping saves) redownloaded ksp. all mods off ckan again (118 XD im addicted what can i say) same issue - was working just fine before =( love my timberwind lifter rockets =(

was it updated and i just cant find the notes for it and should put on a particle bed reactor like its supposed to have? my career save is still progressin into those atm.

1 hour ago, Fairin said:

may just be me but i updated and now my timberwind engines request a reactor... - tacking on a molten salt one allowed it to pick a fuel.. at 300 isp and 127 thrust ><

tried deleting entire warp plugin file - no change

deleted all of ksp (keeping saves) redownloaded ksp. all mods off ckan again (118 XD im addicted what can i say) same issue - was working just fine before =( love my timberwind lifter rockets =(

was it updated and i just cant find the notes for it and should put on a particle bed reactor like its supposed to have? my career save is still progressin into those atm.

Timberwinds are kind of weak, and I don't think they work in atmosphere at all.  By far the 2 best engines in KSPIE are the thermal ramjet nozzle and the kerbstein.  A sufficiently large ramjet nozzle (well, more than one) with sufficient plasma beam core antimatter reactors... 40,000 ton SSTOs are a thing.

Is there a more comprehensive guide to the updated beamed power system? I've looked around and everything is over 2 years old. My microwave network has 4 reactors and still producing laughably week results. My ships are only getting 1 MJ from the network and that's if they are lucky.

I managed to figure out the relay system on my own but I still need to know, what beam is best for powering from Kerbin, how many beams do I need and why are these end game engines producing less thrust than RCS jets?

PS. it's not waste heat, I have that system figured out.

Edited by helios1138