Mun, Minmus, Duna, Now what?

Squidiness

Yeah. I overlooked electric requirements earlier. But roughly, you'll need 25 times the solars at Jool than you will at Kerbin. That's not so bad considering that a Gigantor is 15 times as powerful as a small extending panel and about 70 times as powerful as an OX-STAT. And very little in the game requires a high sustained power output, only the science lab and to an extent the ion engine. Just make sure you pack enough batteries for the biggest single science transmission and you can let the solars charge you back up.

yes, but 1 ox stat will suffice around kerbin... more than suffice for most purposes. If you can time warp through the jool transit, you can wait for batteries to recharge between science transmissions.

1 ox stat will still be enough to maintain a small probe core.. I think.

But solar is not what you want for mining:

Qz2k6ik.png

Ox-Stat XLs (ie 8x Oxstats) with .99 sun exposure were only generating 0.0844 EC/s

That mining module needs redesign for laythe operation - hence the fuel cells(I don't like using fuel cells though, feels too much like an exploit). The solar was wasted mass, but its the same design I was using at multiple locations

1 minute ago, Squidiness said:

What use is connectivity?

Control over probes. Of course you can disable that all through the menu, so all antennas have infinite range and go through planets unobstructed, but having a need for a relay network to be able to communicate with probes is an interesting challenge.

31 minutes ago, Sharpy said:

Control over probes. Of course you can disable that all through the menu, so all antennas have infinite range and go through planets unobstructed, but having a need for a relay network to be able to communicate with probes is an interesting challenge.

Wait, so that's a thing now? I never disabled it, but I've never noticed that

On 1/21/2017 at 4:13 PM, Justin_Kerbal said:

How do you deploy '10 or more probes' at Eve?  Every encounter (literal) that I have with the planet results in explosions!  How do you get them all slowed down enough for entry and then landing? 

Actually, no one has ever been to Dres.  Ever.

Well, that's where I'm headed next, right after my Duna mission, which, in it's current state, isn't looking too good :/. I've got some pictures of the Duna expedition, if anyone's interested

Edited by Squidiness
:confused:

On 1/20/2017 at 6:00 AM, Birdco_Space said:

Moho.

The challenge of building a 12k + m/s Delta V rocket to get there, Land and get back is a top tier challenge.  It is by far the hardest place to get to, but the windows to get there are very frequent.  its >mun mass is a good intermediate challenge in designing for large airless bodies (Tylo).  The Large delta V design is a good first step in design experience for Jool 5, and lifters for Eve return missions.

Wait, it takes 12km/s of delta v to go to Moho? Or does that include landing and return? I think the wiki may need to be updated.

Yeah, 12 km/s sounds about right for LKO > Moho's surface > Kerbin re-entry, assuming somewhat efficient flying but no use of gravity assists. Relatively minor imperfections can spike the dV needs and Moho missions are notorious for running out. If you don't mind the long burns then an ion drive transfer stage is a good idea, I packed over 20 km/s (not including the lander either) for my Moho mission which was massive overkill but better than running out.

Ok. The numbers I was looking at on the wiki was just for going to Moho, not including landing and return. I have a probe ready for going to Moho, and I was suddenly worried that all the numbers on the page were wrong and my 9km/s delta v probe wasn't as OP as I thought and I would need to redesign.

Get some planet mods. I'd recommend Xen's Planet Collection, which, amongst other things, adds a wonderful new planet in between Duna and Dres which has rings, an equatorial ocean, and two interesting moons. It's not much more difficult to visit than Duna, which is why I'd recommend it before doing something like going to Jool. Unless of course you want to explore the stock system first.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.