Have we landed on the moon?

munlander1

Home many of you believe we have landed on the moon?  

164 members have voted

1. 1. With people, we have landed on the moon.

• You agree with this.
    • You disagree with this.
    • You are in between on the matter.

1 hour ago, DerekL1963 said:

I am curious though, why you count SLBM from Poseidon rather than Polaris.  (Myself, I don't rate MIRV *that* highly...)   I'd go no later than Polaris A-2.  (A-1 was something of a kludge, rushed to sea to get something out there and on patrol to deter the USAF.)

I will admit I'm not well versed on the subject. A cursory search of the internet made it sound like Polaris had teething issues, and its limited accuracy made it difficult to use against hardened military targets. Poseidon seemed like a more mature technology that could convincingly match or outperform any other strategic delivery system. And at that point, even the most ardent lunatic (read: the USAF :wink:) had to concede there was no point in developing a space-based deterrent.

Polaris certainly deserves to be part of the discussion. But I was trying to make the point without cluttering things up too much. :blush:

25 minutes ago, Ten Key said:

Polaris certainly deserves to be part of the discussion. But I was trying to make the point without cluttering things up too much.

Good point.  (On top of having worked with them in the Navy, including helping to load and prep the bird in my userpic, I've studied them quite a bit.  So I was curious.  My opinion differs, but your general point I can't disagree with.)

10 hours ago, DerekL1963 said:

Liquid fuels were already plainly on the way out

Indeed? Most of the Soviet/Russian heavy rockets are liquid-fueled, as also Chinese ones are.

On 04.02.2017 at 6:19 AM, Nathair said:

"[t]he Titan had a huge range of ballistic trajectories programmed into its guidance computer, which aimed the missile below the horizon if it was headed for a military target or above the horizon if it was headed for space. As the rocket rose, the computer would continually hunt for just the right orientation, causing the missile to wiggle its nose up and down and left to right, bloodhound-fashion, sniffing for a target that might be Moscow, might be Minsk, or might be low Earth orbit, depending on whether it was carrying warheads or spacemen on that particular mission." Since the Titan also preferred to do all its maneuvering while rolled ninety degrees to the right, so you'd be doing this bloodhound wiggling through eight g's while lying on your side, that sounds like a wild ride!

That's great!

(And if Titan had failed to deliver Gemini to orbit, it would be an intercontinental ballsitic descent capsule).

4 hours ago, YNM said:

Interesting that this thread is still standing.

As they have explained, this is a flypaper for trolls, a trollpaper.

Spoiler

170px-LENTAMUX.JPG

Spoiler
7 hours ago, NSEP said:

I also dont get why 30% of

7 hours ago, NSEP said:

ppl disbelieve

7 hours ago, NSEP said:

the Moon Landings

As had written Maxim Gorky, "Born to crawl can never fly".
Most of believe would disbelieve and airplanes if they could.

Spoiler

(Can't edit spoilers.
= Most of them would...

2 hours ago, Ten Key said:

And at that point, even the most ardent lunatic (read: the USAF :wink:) had to concede there was no point in developing a space-based deterrent.

Orbital placement was a perspective way to increase the accuracy and get a maneuvering target (like an aircraft carrier) from 60s (and even later) engineers' pov.
You can aim not from 10000 km, but less and from stable orbit.
You can aim not at 30 minutes before the hit, but just 15, so a Nimitz position will be more predictable.

Edited by kerbiloid

1 hour ago, munlander1 said:

Sorry about this but I have to derail your guys conversation because you guys are derailing my thread. (Not trying to be mean. I know it sounds mean but I not trying to be)

"How many of you believe in Neil Armstrong's one small step?" This thread started out completely off the rails.

4 minutes ago, munlander1 said:

That is a different set of rails you speak of.

I do not understand the purpose of this thread or what you expect people to say "on topic", such as it is. Coming here, of all places, and asking this particular question seems genuinely bizarre to me. It's like going to www.deathmetalforever.com and trying and strike up a conversation about Barry Manilow, if it's not just blatant and rather pointless trolling then I do not understand what it is.

People who are emotionally attached to their beliefs tend to get angry about it, while people who are dispassionate and objective don't. I therefore don't see any benefit in arguing about it. Nobody's going to change their mind, and it really wouldn't matter if they did.
  Whether or not people *believe* it happened has no impact on whether it actually did.

Best,
-Slashy

1 hour ago, eloquentJane said:

Honestly I'm somewhat concerned that, in the poll on this post, five people said no and one said they weren't sure.

Well, as I posted earlier, the poll originally asked if humans had landed in the moon (typo since fixed) which is why I voted no. Easentially adding the usual noise to the statistic

On 5.2.2017 at 6:41 AM, Nathair said:

"How many of you believe in Neil Armstrong's one small step?" This thread started out completely off the rails.

The test of the high speed train was somewhat derailed, but we will get lots of good pictures of Uranus on or flyby so its classified as an success. 

One soviet moon probe ended up as first object in solar orbit as they missed moon :)

Or in KSP our first Mun landing has been extended to our first Mun base, the landing legs, engine and fuel tanks worked well and crumble zone. 

Well, NASA is a military organisation, so that is telling us something. isn't it?

and of course NASA, stands for Never A Straight Answer, They just lie to us all the time.

Of course they have never send people (astronots) to the moon. Sheer impossible at the moment.

And what about the marsrover? of which it is obvious clear it is all filmed on earth!

15 hours ago, eloquentJane said:

Honestly I'm somewhat concerned that, in the poll on this post, five people said no and one said they weren't sure.

eloquentJane,

Why are you concerned about that? It's not like it affects anything...

Best,
-Slashy

10 hours ago, ADreamerwithinADream said:

Well, NASA is a military organisation, so that is telling us something. isn't it?

Not really telling since it's not true.

and of course NASA, stands for Never A Straight Answer, They just lie to us all the time.

Yeah yeah...

Of course they have never send people (astronots) to the moon. Sheer impossible at the moment.

And what about the marsrover? of which it is obvious clear it is all filmed on earth!

Citation needed.

14 hours ago, ADreamerwithinADream said:

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Even if the entire moon landing story was fake, every stage of it is in the public domain and very well-documented. Are there any specific parts of the story you disagree with especially, and we can maybe have a talk about them?