Asteroid base wobble problem

Hello,

recently i got a contract to catch an asteroid and to build a base on it.

So i catched my very first asteroid (420t weight). Brought it into a stable orbit around Minmus and began to build a base on it.

First everything was fine, but with every new part attached with grabbing units to the asteroid becomes more wobbly. Especially if you switch from the tracking center to the asteroid, or if I quit time warp everything wobbles like crazy.
It seems like that the grabbing units aren't anymore at the original place I positioned them. I think that happens over time or if I change the center of mass of the asteroid base.

Have you also seen such a behavior and how to I prevent that?

Thanks in advance.

(Sorry for my bad english, because it's not my native language.)

Before you claw onto the asteroid, set the claw and any heavy parts on your craft to "Autostrut heaviest part". As soon as the claw grabs the asteroid, the Autostruts will stiffen your connection with the it since it's now the heaviest part.

@TykoI play mostly vanilla (KER, KAC, Docking Alignment, Transfer Window Planner) and have never seen something like "Autostrut"?!

@Foxster So the best would be to avoid building large bases on an asteroids?I have already build some medium sized orbital stations and only got wobbling when I docked a new part or a ship on it. The time warp trick usually got rid of the wobbling and I have never expierienced such a massive wobbling effect like wobbling on the asteroid.

14 minutes ago, MonsterBenny said:

@Foxster So the best would be to avoid building large bases on an asteroids?I have already build some medium sized orbital stations and only got wobbling when I docked a new part or a ship on it. The time warp trick usually got rid of the wobbling and I have never expierienced such a massive wobbling effect like wobbling on the asteroid.

YMMV but I have found that bases anywhere near a surface at some point shake themselves to pieces. Throw an asteroid into the mix and it only seems to get worse.

I have tried anchoring with stock and mod parts and it doesn't matter, it will start to shimmy and shake. I just think that the game hasn't been well tested with bases in mind.  

37 minutes ago, MonsterBenny said:

@TykoI play mostly vanilla (KER, KAC, Docking Alignment, Transfer Window Planner) and have never seen something like "Autostrut"?!

Autostrut is part of Stock. you have to have struts unlocked in the tech tree. I think you need "advanced tweakables" enabled in the Settings menu also.

After that the right-click menu on any part should have an Autostrut line. Clicking the button next to it will cycle through a couple of options in what you want the part to autostrut to - the heaviest part, the root part, and a couple of others.

2 minutes ago, Tyko said:

Autostrut is part of Stock. you have to have struts unlocked in the tech tree. I think you need "advanced tweakables" enabled in the Settings menu also.

After that the right-click menu on any part should have an Autostrut line. Clicking the button next to it will cycle through a couple of options in what you want the part to autostrut to - the heaviest part, the root part, and a couple of others.

Ah ok, I'll check it out!

Thank you for your help.

For now I'll try to accept only contracts with asteroids without base building.
Hopefully the problem will get fixed. :)

3 minutes ago, MonsterBenny said:

Ah ok, I'll check it out!

Thank you for your help.

For now I'll try to accept only contracts with asteroids without base building.
Hopefully the problem will get fixed. :)

Have fun...be careful using autostrut on something that's already wobbling. The moment you trigger autostrut it locks the parts in their current position. If you trigger it in mid-wobble it would be like setting a broken bone poorly - you'll have a "permanent" kink in your ship  :)

I just ran into this yesterday with my big Emiko Station asteroid base. It wasn't horrible, but it was definitely wobbling. However, after it happened I F9'd back to about 5 minutes (game time) before I intercepted it and tried again, and the second time there was no wobble. Only problem was because it worked the 2nd time, I didn't really have any of the files they'd want to make out a decent bug report.

44 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

I just ran into this yesterday with my big Emiko Station asteroid base. It wasn't horrible, but it was definitely wobbling. However, after it happened I F9'd back to about 5 minutes (game time) before I intercepted it and tried again, and the second time there was no wobble. Only problem was because it worked the 2nd time, I didn't really have any of the files they'd want to make out a decent bug report.

Have you set Emiko Station to use autostruts? I know it was originally constructed before they were implemented.

11 minutes ago, Jarin said:

Have you set Emiko Station to use autostruts? I know it was originally constructed before they were implemented.

No. I'm not sure what would happen. But (small spoiler) I'm going to be doing a rebuild really soon, so I'll experiment with autostrut, and also KIS and KAS and see how it goes.

Autostruts were present since 1.1, though only invisibly - part of the fix for floppy fairings (a single payload autostrut to the fairing shell), and part of the attempted fix for wheels and landing gear (autostrut to heaviest part).  Tweakable autostruts came in 1.2 partly because Squad devs saw prominent KSP streamers using (or abusing) clipped landing gear specifically for the autostrut functionality.

So if Emiko was built in 1.1, and there are any landing gear or landing legs onboard - they are definitely autostrutting to the asteroid

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.