[1.8+] Kerbal Health 1.6.8 (2024-01-22)

garwel

it is normal that with this mod the kerbals use an insane amount of charge? way more than even with a harsh TAC-ls ( i set mine at 600 ec/day). On a spaceship with 6 kerbals it use 0.06 ec with TAC, but with this mod activated it shoot up to a 2.06 ec/sec, even waiting on the launchpad for my station to fly over is impossible if not with an insane amount of batteries.

Also this mod is great, but it doesn't allow for long trip as it is right now

Kerbals don't consume EC with Kerbal Health. Health modules in some parts do, and yes, they consume a lot--this is part of the challenge. You can right-click those parts (e.g. hitchhikers, cupolas, etc.) and disable the health modules you don't need.

This mod allows you to stay very long, almost indefinitely on a mission, but it's not easy and you'll have to be creative. You'll need to reduce factors that negatively affect health and add some facilities for recuperation. Check out the mod's wiki for tips and more info.

I've submitted a PR with a few .cfg's that cover several mods. Hope the values I picked are OK

-SSTU 

-Lynx Utility Rover

-Malemute (USI) Rover

-Karibou (USI) Rover

-FTT (USI)(one part)

-Tundra Exploration (one part)

Notes:

SSTU was almost useless in KH- due to how it handles crew capacity- with huge inflatable HABs granting 0 space. The gravity rings now apply various modifiers, all the various HAB modules have varying amounts of space, and the labs are now proper medbays. I left the shipcore parts alone as they're just command pods/shuttles/etc and the base formula works well enough.  "Deluxe Accommodations for 60" is now just that (That part in question is a 50m, 150ton gravity ring).  A caveat, the inflatable modules (which require several tons of rocketparts/machinery/etc to deploy) might function prior to inflation; I doubt this is really an issue- anyone going as far as adding a LS mod like this would probably avoid cheating with it.

One file adds support to four mods: Lynx Utility, Malemute and Karibou, enabling realistically lengthy rover missions (provided ample gravity).  Also includes support for the 20 ton ORCA command bridge from USI/FTT

BFR pod from Tundra Exploration (as a huge, 25-ton pod intended for colony ships, this pod has every module except paragravity; actually pretty balanced considering the pod's abysmal crew:weight ratio)

I hand-picked values for everything, bearing in mind my own experiences with KH as well as values from stock .cfg's, and taking lore/descriptions into account: Pressurized rover pods function as very weak cupolas, for example- helping any Martian reenactors.  SSTU station segments (each modular piece, whether fitness, command or lab, has short term quarters) are cramped and uncomfortable, whereas the heavy, inflatable HAB pods are very roomy.  Pods with exercise facilities help to mitigate the effects of microgravity, but far from eliminate them.  Rover cabs and station command bridges with lots of TVs grant varying connected bonuses, and 

Tested in 1.3.1

Below: The colossal station/shipyard I made to test/celebrate writing my first patches

https://imgur.com/a/wf4q3

Radiation was introduced in 1.0, so if you are playing the latest KSP1.3-compatible version, you're ok. The easiest way to check is to open the Health Monitor and see if there is a column called "Radiation".

Random Question (May have been answered and I missed it);

What constitutes "crowded" ie. If I had a ship/ station with, lets say, 100 seats, how many kerbals would have to be on there before the ship became crowded? 80? 50? 

Sorry if I just missed where the answer to this is.

@garwel Tks for the great mod =P

Edited by Mark Kerbin

Number of seats isn't directly involved in Crowded factor. Instead, it depends on the number of kerbals per living space, which is a sum of all living spaces on the vessel. Different crewed parts provide different amount of living space; you can check it in the Editor or its Health Report.

On 3/21/2018 at 2:28 AM, garwel said:

Number of seats isn't directly involved in Crowded factor. Instead, it depends on the number of kerbals per living space, which is a sum of all living spaces on the vessel. Different crewed parts provide different amount of living space; you can check it in the Editor or its Health Report.

Ah ok. That makes more sense.

Just a heads up for all mod users. I'm continuing my work on the new release, which will feature health quirks. There is no ETA yet, but the core mechanics are done and I now need to do some polishing and debugging. My Patreon patrons can already download the first dev version.

I started using this mod last week, it's interesting so far :rep:

I'm getting quite a few kerbals now though, would it be possible to sort the health report by header? Time left and ship name primarily. It's a hassle to plan crew rotations as it is :)

2 hours ago, Tubal said:

I started using this mod last week, it's interesting so far :rep:

I'm getting quite a few kerbals now though, would it be possible to sort the health report by header? Time left and ship name primarily. It's a hassle to plan crew rotations as it is :)

I do plan to revamp kerbal display in the future, but not in 1.2 yet.

30 minutes ago, garwel said:

I haven't had time to play KSP lately. Has anyone tested Kerbal Health in 1.4.2? Does it work ok?

I haven't been able to play recently either. Class obligations (university, not socio-economic ;)).

EDIT: I realize that I've kind of made a useless post here. I apologize.

Edited by theonegalen

3 hours ago, dlrk said:

https://imgur.com/a/HeBGO

I'm not sure what's happening here. I have 3 kerbals on a station losing .27 HP a day, but time left is blank, as opposed to telling me how much time is left.

At the bottom, is a kerbal on the ground that does have a time left.

Apparently, your station has active health recovery modules (e.g. the Cupola) and the crew's health will stabilize at some level above the exhaustion threshold. This is why the mod doesn't show how much time they have till exhaustion.

The guy at the bottom is recovering his health and the timer displays when he'll be at full health.

49 minutes ago, dlrk said:

Thanks for the explanation!

Btw, is there any chance of an interface with Kerbals sorted between vessel ground, etc, like with USI-LS?

If you look a couple posts  above, I'm saying that it's a planned feature, probably for v1.3.

Just a heads up, folks. I've been more or less away from KSP for almost 2 months (real life stuff + KSP upgrade). I've been working on Kerbal Health 1.2 meanwhile, but at a slower pace. Now that most of my favorite mods have been updated for KSP 1.4, I can get back into the mode of developing & playing. Hopefully, things will move more quickly from now on.

I have almost finished everything quirk-related in Kerbal Health. The last feature I'm going to add is a quirk information sheet. I haven't decided how to implement it yet, with my limited skills in UI design. Speaking of which, I finally came around to learning some text formatting techniques in KSP. As a result, Health Monitor and Health Report windows will soon become more colorful and less boring. Yay!

On 4/12/2018 at 2:31 PM, garwel said:

I have almost finished everything quirk-related in Kerbal Health. The last feature I'm going to add is a quirk information sheet. I haven't decided how to implement it yet, with my limited skills in UI design. Speaking of which, I finally came around to learning some text formatting techniques in KSP. As a result, Health Monitor and Health Report windows will soon become more colorful and less boring. Yay!

Have you considered making a KSPedia entry for the information sheet?

Edited by theonegalen

6 hours ago, theonegalen said:

Have you considered making a KSPedia entry for the information sheet?

I understand making KSPedia requires the use of Unity editor, which I'm not familiar with and don't want to learn for this small task. Moreover, the quirk system will be dynamic in that anyone can add, change or remove quirks, so a static KSPedia isn't a good solution. In the end, I think I'll keep the entire list online as a reference and will only give specifics of quirks when they are acquired. Not a perfect solution, for sure, but better than spending lots of hours working on a feature very few people will use.

• 3 weeks later...

How well would you say this mod works with self sufficient bases? Or does it make those not possible until a way to shield against radiation is made? Also do kerbals on keebin still gain in radiation and also can this mod work with other planet packs?

On 4/18/2018 at 1:44 AM, garwel said:

I understand making KSPedia requires the use of Unity editor, which I'm not familiar with and don't want to learn for this small task. Moreover, the quirk system will be dynamic in that anyone can add, change or remove quirks, so a static KSPedia isn't a good solution. In the end, I think I'll keep the entire list online as a reference and will only give specifics of quirks when they are acquired. Not a perfect solution, for sure, but better than spending lots of hours working on a feature very few people will use.

Oh can you link me that. I'd like to read it to understand the mod a bit. I tried it once and it was a bit confusing for me

Oh and planetary base systems. Does it go along well?

6 hours ago, The-Doctor said:

How well would you say this mod works with self sufficient bases? Or does it make those not possible until a way to shield against radiation is made? Also do kerbals on keebin still gain in radiation and also can this mod work with other planet packs?

Oh can you link me that. I'd like to read it to understand the mod a bit. I tried it once and it was a bit confusing for me

Oh and planetary base systems. Does it go along well?

You should check out the wiki; it explains pretty much everything about the mod.

With radiation mechanics, your kerbals can't last forever, but you can shield them well to stay alive long enough for any reasonable mission. Radiation doesn't kill them quickly (unless they are taking sunbaths at low solar orbit), but very slowly erodes their health. It may not have a noticeable effect until after many years on a mission. So if you are playing a very long game, you'll have to watch your astronauts' radiation levels and eventually replace old ones with new blood, but it doesn't happen often.

Kerbals don't accumulate radiation when at KSC, but they do gain some in Kerbin atmosphere and even on the launch pad (but very small doses).

There should be no problems with planet packs. The only possible issue may be with radiation calculation when the sun is replaced or there are several suns etc. I haven't tested it with such packs.

I want to thank you for this mod. Now there is an actual reason to use more than one pilot. Also, as a topping of a cake, there is no need to fast forward for better Duna launch window, as it gets closer naturally. Oh, and also works neatly with TACS and on 1.4.3

@garwel I added this mod and TAC-LS, removed Kerbalism and started a new career.

My unmanned Mercury test 1 (with an unmanned stack probe as root) splashed, I went to the Tracking Station, I recovered.

I wanted to leave the Tracking Station, no avail, this is spammed to the log:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at KerbalHealth.KerbalHealthStatus.Update (Double interval) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at KerbalHealth.KerbalHealthList.Update (Double interval) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at KerbalHealth.KerbalHealthScenario.UpdateKerbals (Boolean forced) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at KerbalHealth.KerbalHealthScenario.FixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

(Filename:  Line: -1)

I had to kill the process.

Log and craft:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bvyfrwrkzch8bei/2018-05-10_1 KSP.log.7z?dl=1