[1.8+] Kerbal Health 1.6.8 (2024-01-22)

garwel

Kerbal Health 1.3 pre-release is out! This is a public beta intended for testing purposes. It is not backward-compatible with previous versions, so backup your saves! Please report all issues on Github or here.

I rewrote from scratch the conditions and events systems merging them into one. As a result, there are now many more conditions, they can evolve into others (usually more and more nasty), and, what's best, everything can now be changed via config files.

Radiation was also rebalanced to be more realistic. You can also check radiation environments before sending your kerbals there thanks to parts that provide Health Environment Sensor modules (these are some parts in DMOS, KSP-IE and other mods or alternatively included in advanced probe cores).

The long-requested change to the UI: kerbals are now sorted by their location (first active vessel, then EVAs, then by different ships and then at KSC) or alphabetically.

There are also many more smaller improvements and supported mods.

If no serious bugs reported in the next few days, I will release it as an official version.

The complete changelog and download link

Edited by garwel

Quick question, I recently installed this mod on my current game (1.4.5 career) and launched Jeb to do a landing on Mun in a Mk1 command pod for a plant a flag mission. About halfway to the mun, I noticed I had a rendezvous mission around the mun, so launched a second Mk1 command pod ship, and timed it to do a close approach encounter when it entered orbit.

OOPS Then I notice that Jeb was in low health. (40% already? I forget the exact amount.) The chart was saying both crews were losing 8-9 points of health per (hour?/day?) Jeb was Not going to be able to land Or wait for the rendezvous, I immediately sent him on a return to kerbin, he fell below 20% and went tourist, and his ship with out control tumbled to Kerbin and crashed. (I think I could not even do staging if I remember correctly)

Hmm even if it WAS 9/day, that gives you 8-9 Kerbin days to do a Mun landing, which should be more than enough time. Did I get something wrong? Or are you just not supposed to be using a Mk1 pod only for Mun missions. (Cramped & Lonely penalties).

This occurred a week or so ago, been to busy dodging Hurricane Florence to get back on KSP to try again or ask about it here.

Edited by BlackHat

1 hour ago, BlackHat said:

Quick question, I recently installed this mod on my current game (1.4.5 career) and launched Jeb to do a landing on Mun in a Mk1 command pod for a plant a flag mission. About halfway to the mun, I noticed I had a rendezvous mission around the mun, so launched a second Mk1 command pod ship, and timed it to do a close approach encounter when it entered orbit.

OOPS Then I notice that Jeb was in low health. (40% already? I forget the exact amount.) The chart was saying both crews were losing 8-9 points of health per (hour?/day?) Jeb was Not going to be able to land Or wait for the rendezvous, I immediately sent him on a return to kerbin, he fell below 20% and went tourist, and his ship with out control tumbled to Kerbin and crashed. (I think I could not even do staging if I remember correctly)

Hmm even if it WAS 9/day, that gives you 8-9 Kerbin days to do a Mun landing, which should be more than enough time. Did I get something wrong? Or are you just not supposed to be using a Mk1 pod only for Mun missions. (Cramped & Lonely penalties).

This occurred a week or so ago, been to busy dodging Hurricane Florence to get back on KSP to try again or ask about it here.

I assume you are playing v1.2.1. Mk1 isn't intended for long-term habitation, but it shouldn't be that bad. I've just finished a mission where my kerbal went to the Mun, landed and returned home in the Onion capsule, and was quite healthy in the end.

It could have been a lot of things in your mission. Normally, something like 9 HP/day should let a 0-star kerbal remain capable for about 8 days (remember that they become Tourists when health is 20%). However, they can have accidents or get sick, and it will take away a lot of HP. You are notified about these events via messages. If Jeb went on a long EVA, it also drains HP. Finally, before launching a mission make sure that the kerbal has recovered from the previous one and has 100% health.

Hey @garwel two kerbals of a station crew of three were marked "sick". My station had a lab,  with a health module. A few days later they registered as "ok". Am I right to understand that they were healed by the health module?

Also: more modules means faster healing?

Also also: are there degrees of sickness? Or only a single "sick" standard modifier? 

4 hours ago, Daniel Prates said:

Hey @garwel two kerbals of a station crew of three were marked "sick". My station had a lab,  with a health module. A few days later they registered as "ok". Am I right to understand that they were healed by the health module?

Also: more modules means faster healing?

Also also: are there degrees of sickness? Or only a single "sick" standard modifier? 

Sick kerbals will heal on their own after some time (and will also become immune for a few days), but presence of scientists and/or medics makes it quicker. The lab affects severity of symptoms (i.e. HP/day), but not healing chances.

As of 1.2.1, there are no degrees of sickness. In the upcoming 1.3 update sick kerbals can develop pneumonia if they are unlucky, and that's bad.

3 hours ago, garwel said:

In the upcoming 1.3 update sick kerbals can develop pneumonia if they are unlucky, and that's bad.

Oh that's a good. An uber-sickness would require some emergency response whereaa the mere normal sickness may not be a mission abort. Its a great way to generate diversity,  great thinking.

Kerbal Health 1.3.0

NOTE: This release may be backward incompatible with 1.2.1, i.e. reverting back to an older version can be problematic. I recommend that you backup your persistent.sfs file before running the game. After updating, load every crewed vessel once to update data.

• Overhauled: Merged conditions and events systems. Health conditions can now appear, disappear or change based on chance and various factors
  • Added: Conditions for injuries, food poisoning, panic attacks and more
  • Added: Health environment sensors allow you to see amount of magnetosphere shielding and/or cosmic radiation level before sending kerbals. The sensors are built into corresponding parts in certain mods (currently DMOS and KSP-IE) or, if you don't have those, advanced probe cores
  • Added: Location column in Health Monitor; kerbals can now be sorted either alphabetically or by their location (default)
  • Added: Supplies and Mulch parts in USI-LS provide a small amount of radiation Shielding
  • Added: Better support for Tantares, Extraplanetary Launchpads, Near Future Technologies, RLA Reborn
  • Changed: Radiation settings rebalanced to more realistic values. Nominal levels of radiation significantly increased (especially in low orbit), but their health effect lowered 2.5 times. All artificial radiation provided by parts was updated too
  • Changed: Crowded health factor renamed to Confinement; Sickness factor renamed to Conditions
  • Changed: Conditions settings merged with Quirks settings
  • Changed: SSPXR support patch is now included in Kerbal Health instead of being bundled with SSPXR
  • Fixed: 'title' key for health modules didn't work for custom parts
  • Performance improvements and fixes for potential issues

Download here

Edited by garwel

• 3 weeks later...

@garwel

I do have some feedback on the way radiation shielding is distributed.

The 'general' patch appears - If I'm reading it right - to distributing radiation shielding on assorted ship parts based on the crew capacity. As a result, a 2-man capsule gets 2.0 units of radiation shielding.

This is in contrast to the actual tailor-made patches which generally seem to give you less radiation shielding. For example, the Corvus CF mod which adds a 2-man Gemini-style capsule gives me 2.0 units of radiation shielding. However, the Making History Gemini Capsule only gives me 1.0.

Given how important radiation shielding is this may need to be tweaked/rebalanced because it makes generic mod parts much better than tailor-made parts.

Also the way the USI radiation shielding for life support mods increases doesn't really make a lot of sense, but I can't really think of a better way of doing it - unless the logic behind the radiation shielding is different from what I'm thinking of... I thought it would reflect how well-cared-for the Kerbals are, instead it functions like it's using tanks of food and water and mulch like they're insulating themselves from radiation with it.

Edited by Frostiken

2 hours ago, Frostiken said:

@garwel

I do have some feedback on the way radiation shielding is distributed.

The 'general' patch appears - If I'm reading it right - to distributing radiation shielding on assorted ship parts based on the crew capacity. As a result, a 2-man capsule gets 2.0 units of radiation shielding.

This is in contrast to the actual tailor-made patches which generally seem to give you less radiation shielding. For example, the Corvus CF mod which adds a 2-man Gemini-style capsule gives me 2.0 units of radiation shielding. However, the Making History Gemini Capsule only gives me 1.0.

Given how important radiation shielding is this may need to be tweaked/rebalanced because it makes generic mod parts much better than tailor-made parts.

Also the way the USI radiation shielding for life support mods increases doesn't really make a lot of sense, but I can't really think of a better way of doing it - unless the logic behind the radiation shielding is different from what I'm thinking of... I thought it would reflect how well-cared-for the Kerbals are, instead it functions like it's using tanks of food and water and mulch like they're insulating themselves from radiation with it.

Currently, 1 RadShield unit capacity per 1 crew member is considered normal, but some parts may have less for certain reasons (they have too wide windows, are not intended for long-duration stays, very lightweight etc.) and very few parts may have more. Such exceptions are relatively rare, Gemini capsule being one of them (because historically, it was a very basic design only for short missions).

I could remove the General.cfg patch and only give shielding resource to parts in supported mods, but then it would really upset those who use something different. The better solution is to add native support for more mods. Living space in parts is even more important here, because there is much more difference between the default 1 point per crew capacity and the actual calculated (or handpicked) values.

As to radiation shielding provided by USI-LS resources, it is mostly to keep in line with Water and WasteWater resources (that are used by TAC-LS and some other mods, IIRC) that also provide shielding. It refers to real-life plans to use ship's water reserves to shield crew from radiation in interplanetary missions. Obviously, not all USI-LS Supplies are water, so it has a lower shielding efficiency than actual Water.

Kerbal Health 1.3.1

• Recompiled for KSP 1.5
  • Added: Celestial bodies can now be radioactive; so far only one body from Outer Planet Mod uses this (good luck finding it without looking at the source code), but it can easily be added with MM patches; see wiki for details
  • Added: Radiation and Dose are now displayed with prefixes such as K, M or G if they are big enough
  • Fixed: Duplicate health modules in some SSPX and other parts

Download here

20 minutes ago, garwel said:

Kerbal Health 1.3.1

• Recompiled for KSP 1.5
  • Added: Celestial bodies can now be radioactive; so far only one body from Outer Planet Mod uses this (good luck finding it without looking at the source code), but it can easily be added with MM patches; see wiki for details

OH. MY. GOSH.

Is there any way you can add radiation to Thalia in Galileo's Planet Pack? The in-mod lore is that the planet is supposed to be radioactive, which is currently simulated with a heat effect that can explode vessels of the unwary. Adding radiation that is a risk to the crew as well as the ship would be pure awesomeness.

Pinging @Galileo and @JadeOfMaar

10 hours ago, Norcalplanner said:

OH. MY. GOSH.

Is there any way you can add radiation to Thalia in Galileo's Planet Pack? The in-mod lore is that the planet is supposed to be radioactive, which is currently simulated with a heat effect that can explode vessels of the unwary. Adding radiation that is a risk to the crew as well as the ship would be pure awesomeness.

Pinging @Galileo and @JadeOfMaar

I haven't played with GPP, but if someone makes a custom config for its bodies, I can incorporate it into the mod. Or I can take it up myself eventually, but no promises here. Creating planet configs is very easy; I'll add a wiki entry for it or you can just check out KerbalHealth.cfg and use the configs there.

@garwel I was thinking of making a habitation mod called Stress, and then recently discovered your Kerbal Health mod. KH does what I was thinking of, kudos to you for making a great mod! I am away from my pc this weekend, but plan on downloading it once I return. I do have some functionality questions:

Can you restore health while in flight? I have a large domed part in Pathfinder that has  a mini park designed to reduce stress and I’m wondering if I can do something similar with your mod. I think this is Recouperation from the OP..

Similarly, if a kerbal is injured, is there some kind of medical bay part module to restore health? Recouperation applies here too?

Can your ships generate a mini-magnetospheric plasma shield to protect against radiation? Say, consume xenon gas and electric charge to generate the shield?

Finally, I see that kerbals will turn into tourists under certain conditions. That mechanic is not for me personally, so in Snacks I wrote a fainting penalty for when you skip too many meals. I was wondering if Kerbal Health could have fainting as an option instead of turning kerbals into tourists. If you’re curious I based fainting on what happens when a kerbal passes out from excessive g forces. Here is the code:

https://github.com/Angel-125/Snacks/blob/master/Snacks/Penalties/FaintPenalty.cs

Other penalties if you’re curious:

https://github.com/Angel-125/Snacks/tree/master/Snacks/Penalties

Thanks again for making a great mod, I look forward to playing with it. :)

Edited by Angel-125

1 hour ago, Angel-125 said:

Can you restore health while in flight? I have a large domed part in Pathfinder that has  a mini park designed to reduce stress and I’m wondering if I can do something similar with your mod. I think this is Recouperation from the OP..

Yes, Recuperation is the system you need here. It allows kerbals to restore a certain amount of health points per day (or, more precisely, a specific % of the difference between max HP and current HP). It is also possible to add a flat amount of HP per day, but this is not recommended because it's hard to balance.

Similarly, if a kerbal is injured, is there some kind of medical bay part module to restore health? Recouperation applies here too?

Currently, the sick bay reduces the effects of health conditions (which include sickness, injuries etc.) while presence of scientists or medics helps end those conditions quickly. You can add such a module to any part, but it is usually used with science labs or dedicated med bays. You can also set certain effects (e.g. high recuperation) to apply to kerbals inside the part only, not the whole ships.

Can your ships generate a mini-magnetospheric plasma shield to protect against radiation? Say, consume xenon gas and electric charge to generate the shield?

It should be possible if you add an appropriate part module to a part. You can, for instance, set it to provide some amount of shielding but consume a given amount of resource. However, as you know, consumption of resources in the background is complicated in KSP, so it may not work exactly as intended. Needs thorough testing because it will use features that I've built into the mod, but ain't really using.

Finally, I see that kerbals will turn into tourists under certain conditions. That mechanic is not for me personally, so in Snacks I wrote a fainting penalty for when you skip too many meals. I was wondering if Kerbal Health could have fainting as an option instead of turning kerbals into tourists. If you’re curious I based fainting on what happens when a kerbal passes out from excessive g forces. Here is the code:

I don't use fainting currently (though I did in previous versions), because I found it hard to control from within the mod. It is possible to disable all conditions that turn kerbals into Tourists, but then the only penalty will be death. I'm looking into adding more penalties such as reduced gee-tolerance or even slower EVA speed, but I haven't really started coding it. Can't make any promises about it.

Edited by garwel

43 minutes ago, garwel said:

Yes, Recuperation is the system you need here. It allows kerbals to restore a certain amount of health points per day (or, more precisely, a specific % of the difference between max HP and current HP). It is also possible to add a flat amount of HP per day, but this is not recommended because it's hard to balance.

Currently, the sick bay reduces the effects of health conditions (which include sickness, injuries etc.) while presence of scientists or medics helps end those conditions quickly. You can add such a module to any part, but it is usually used with science labs or dedicated med bays. You can also set certain effects (e.g. high recuperation) to apply to kerbals inside the part only, not the whole ships.

It should be possible if you add an appropriate part module to a part. You can, for instance, set it to provide some amount of shielding but consume a given amount of resource. However, as you know, consumption of resources in the background is complicated in KSP, so it may not work exactly as intended. Needs thorough testing because it will use features that I've built into the mod, but ain't really using.

I don't use fainting currently (though I did in previous versions), because I found it hard to control from within the mod. It is possible to disable all conditions that turn kerbals into Tourists, but then the only penalty will be death. I'm looking into adding more penalties such as reduced gee-tolerance or even slower EVA speed, but I haven't really started coding it. Can't make any promises about it.

Hm, ok, good to know, thanks! Maybe an API for penalties is possible? I could then play with making additional options and have better integration with the mods I make. :)

Thanks again.

Three questions:

One, if a kerbal dies from lack of health and "Missing Crews Respawn" is on in the difficulty settings, does that kerbal respawn?

Two, if they do, how much health do they have on respawn?

Three, if they do not, is it possible to remove death at zero health?