[1.8+] Kerbal Health 1.6.8 (2024-01-22)

garwel

4 hours ago, juanml82 said:

Question: can the health monitor be modified to show only the kerbals in the active vessel? I'm just starting a new save and it's confortable enough with 5 kerbals in my rooster, but I'll probably have more than 50 in my rooster by the mid-late game and I feel that would be unmanageable.

It is certainly possible, but I'll see how it can be implemented without too much rework.

I went through the thread and saw some other people having issues with unloaded kerbals suddenly having negatives increase. Looked like maybe a fix was found, but now maybe not? Just curious what came to be with that situation...asking for a friend...

But from watching the report alone, my station crew's "crowded" factor increases by multiples of 5 when I leave physics range.

Otherwise, I'm really enjoying the mod. life support on an abstract level without long production chains. Thanks for the work!

5 hours ago, Bathalas said:

I went through the thread and saw some other people having issues with unloaded kerbals suddenly having negatives increase. Looked like maybe a fix was found, but now maybe not? Just curious what came to be with that situation...asking for a friend...

But from watching the report alone, my station crew's "crowded" factor increases by multiples of 5 when I leave physics range.

Otherwise, I'm really enjoying the mod. life support on an abstract level without long production chains. Thanks for the work!

The issues with unloaded kerbals/vessels should have been fixed quite some time ago. If you encounter any, please make sure you enable Debug mode in the settings and provide the output log (and, preferably, the persistent file) of it happening.

I didn't quite get what happened with your station. Individual factors are not displayed at all for kerbals outside physics range, so why do you think Crowded increased 5-fold? I'd need a log or at least screenshots of the station and Health Monitor with the correct and wrong data.

sorry for the delay, was away from my computer for the holiday.

Is there a way to allow debugging once a game has started, or will I need to start a new game to select it from the difficulty menu?

As to try and better describe what I'm observing, I'll try and help out with screenshots.

shot 1) showing Thomrie's details page when the Mun Lander is disconnected from the station (Jeb is the kerbal in the lander), daily health change at -5.5/day

shot 2) Thomrie's details page from my Mun station (with the lander still on the Mun)showing a daily HP change of -0.59

shot  3) just a shot of the physical station itself, for reference. The only non-stock part on it is the observation node from stock-alike station parts (crew cap: 4)

https://imgur.com/a/t1m3p

Edited by Bathalas

I think I figured it out, actually, having switched back to the lander after taking the screencaps for the above post. Back on the Mun, everything is reading out normally. My guess is that detaching the lander from the station doesn't reset what the active vessel is, so KH is calculating the station crew's change/day using the lander's layout (which would explain why I'm getting a details page when I shouldn't be).

That's a gross overlook on my part. My apologies.

Huh, this is still strange. It may be simply an issue with details view or it may be something more serious. I'd still appreciate an output log. You can enable debug logging in-game by opening Difficulty Settings, Kerbal Health tab in there and checking Debug Mode. The output log is located, if you are on 64-bit Windows, in KSP_x64_Data\output_log.txt.

On 11/26/2017 at 9:56 AM, garwel said:

Huh, this is still strange. It may be simply an issue with details view or it may be something more serious. I'd still appreciate an output log. You can enable debug logging in-game by opening Difficulty Settings, Kerbal Health tab in there and checking Debug Mode. The output log is located, if you are on 64-bit Windows, in KSP_x64_Data\output_log.txt.

Log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4i5wtfel0pxx299/output_log.txt?dl=0

My observations: I did my standard lander dedocking, with no craft switching. My station crew's Details report was still visible the whole time, and the "crowded" deduction climbed all the way up to -15/day. The losses in total health were still present after I re-docked, though health loss came back down to -1.5/day at that point.

I'm not going to pretend to understand the nuts-n-bolts of modding in KSP, but my guess is still that it has something to do with all the docking I do and something, somewhere, not differentiating between the station and the lander.

Let me know if there is any other info you want. Thanks!

8 hours ago, Bathalas said:

Log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4i5wtfel0pxx299/output_log.txt?dl=0

My observations: I did my standard lander dedocking, with no craft switching. My station crew's Details report was still visible the whole time, and the "crowded" deduction climbed all the way up to -15/day. The losses in total health were still present after I re-docked, though health loss came back down to -1.5/day at that point.

I'm not going to pretend to understand the nuts-n-bolts of modding in KSP, but my guess is still that it has something to do with all the docking I do and something, somewhere, not differentiating between the station and the lander.

Let me know if there is any other info you want. Thanks!

Interesting. Can you also post your persistent file or a screenshot of your settings?

• 2 weeks later...

Kerbal Health 1.0.2

• Added: Health modules now reactivate automatically when enough EC is available
  • Changed: DeepFreeze CRY-0300R freezer can't hold any RadShield resource
  • Fixed: Radiation readings in Health Monitor weren't updated for non-available kerbals
  • Fixed: Sick Tourists would never cure at KSC if no Scientist was present
  • Fixed: Exception when kerbal died or went missing
  • Possibly fixed: Issues with calculating part effects after undocking (needs testing)

Download here

Meanwhile, I'm working on v1.1, where I will revamp the way parts affect health (specifically Crowded mechanics).

I have a space station at about 200km above Kerbin, and the crew are getting 214 rads per day, which seems like a lot! Equivalent orbit in a command pod seems to be about 60. I forgot to radshield one crewed component (the cupola), but everything else is shielded. The station has quite a few crew tube though -- they didn't get the option for being shielded as they don't have crew capacity, but could they be contributing?

8 hours ago, cyberpunkdreams said:

I have a space station at about 200km above Kerbin, and the crew are getting 214 rads per day, which seems like a lot! Equivalent orbit in a command pod seems to be about 60. I forgot to radshield one crewed component (the cupola), but everything else is shielded. The station has quite a few crew tube though -- they didn't get the option for being shielded as they don't have crew capacity, but could they be contributing?

It look ok. Radiation in KH is measured in "banana equivalent doses", or approximately 0.0001 mSv, not in rads. The formulas are:

Radiation = (CosmicRadiationRate * (SolarRadiation + GalacticRadiaiton) + PartRadiation) * Exposure
Exposure = 2 ^ (- Shielding / (CrewCapacity ^ 2/3))

CosmicRadiationRate depends on your location (e.g. it is 10% in low orbit). PartRadiation is 0 unless you have nuclear engines or something like that. You can check your Shielding and Exposure values in Health Report and Health Monitor.

You may use this spreadsheet to calculate radiation in different situations.

@garwel

I'm going to be writing patches for the atomic motors I'm maintaining (in Spacetux Industries Recycled Parts).  How did you come up with the radioactivity values in the KerbalAtomics patch file?

Also, when adding the module to a habitat,  what values do you set, and what do you base them on?  I'd like to write the configs for another of my mods, Tokumak Refurbished parts.

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

@garwel

I'm going to be writing patches for the atomic motors I'm maintaining (in Spacetux Industries Recycled Parts).  How did you come up with the radioactivity values in the KerbalAtomics patch file?

Also, when adding the module to a habitat,  what values do you set, and what do you base them on?  I'd like to write the configs for another of my mods, Tokumak Refurbished parts.

For atomic engines, I just used the rounded value for heatProduction from ModuleEnginesFX. If the engine has several modes, I took their average.

As a rule, most crewed parts have the maximum amount of RadiationShielding resource equal to their crew capacity (but it is empty by default). This is added by an MM script in Kerbal Health automatically, but you can override. Exceptions include lightweight parts such as stock landers (they have 50% max RadShield) and parts that are very exposed, e.g. cupolas, plane cockpits, etc.

Heat shields, metal panels, and very large cargo bays have some embedded Shielding values: 10x their mass (so, for instance, a small panel weighs 0.075 t and has 0.75 Shielding) plus they have a RadShield capacity of the same value. In some exceptional cases these values can be greater or smaller (like with the inflatable heat shield).

With habitats, I'm going to revamp the Crowded factor in the next release, with a beta hopefully out within a week or two. Until now, I've been setting the values manually aiming to maintain a balance between stock and mod parts. If the revamp works good, I'll have a clear formula. So perhaps it's best to wait a bit, unless you want backward compatibility with KH 1.0.

Edited by garwel

2 hours ago, garwel said:

For atomic engines, I just used the rounded value for heatProduction from ModuleEnginesFX. If the engine has several modes, I took their average.

As a rule, most crewed parts have the maximum amount of RadiationShielding resource equal to their crew capacity (but it is empty by default). This is added by an MM script in Kerbal Health automatically, but you can override. Exceptions include lightweight parts such as stock landers (they have 50% max RadShield) and parts that are very exposed, e.g. cupolas, plane cockpits, etc.

Heat shields, metal panels, and very large cargo bays have some embedded Shielding values: 10x their mass (so, for instance, a small panel weighs 0.075 t and has 0.75 Shielding) plus they have a RadShield capacity of the same value. In some exceptional cases these values can be greater or smaller (like with the inflatable heat shield).

With habitats, I'm going to revamp the Crowded factor in the next release, with a beta hopefully out within a week or two. Until now, I've been setting the values manually aiming to maintain a balance between stock and mod parts. If the revamp works good, I'll have a clear formula. So perhaps it's best to wait a bit, unless you want backward compatibility with KH 1.0.

ok, so I will do the engines for now.  Do you want to have the files, or should I include them in my mods?

Once I have this, I'm going to start adding Kerbal Health as a suggested mod for my IFI Life Support mod

Edited by linuxgurugamer

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

ok, so I will do the engines for now.  Do you want to have the files, or should I include them in my mods?

Once I have this, I'm going to start adding Kerbal Health as a suggested mod for my IFI Life Support mod

Cool. Usually, I make and manage the compatibility patches, but if you have any specific ideas about balancing the parts or their special roles, you may keep them.

12 hours ago, garwel said:

It look ok. Radiation in KH is measured in "banana equivalent doses", or approximately 0.0001 mSv, not in rads. The formulas are:

Radiation = (CosmicRadiationRate * (SolarRadiation + GalacticRadiaiton) + PartRadiation) * Exposure
Exposure = 2 ^ (- Shielding / (CrewCapacity ^ 2/3))

CosmicRadiationRate depends on your location (e.g. it is 10% in low orbit). PartRadiation is 0 unless you have nuclear engines or something like that. You can check your Shielding and Exposure values in Health Report and Health Monitor.

You may use this spreadsheet to calculate radiation in different situations.

That's really useful, thank you! The planned overhaul sounds interesting. With my station, I'd reduced the bananas to 183 (I think) by docking another lab, but then I undocked a single Mk2 crew pod (fully shielded and accounting for 12.5% of the total crew capacity onboard) and the radiation per kerbal immediately doubled. I'm sure that's working as intended with the current system, but it does seem pretty crazy.

9 hours ago, cyberpunkdreams said:

That's really useful, thank you! The planned overhaul sounds interesting. With my station, I'd reduced the bananas to 183 (I think) by docking another lab, but then I undocked a single Mk2 crew pod (fully shielded and accounting for 12.5% of the total crew capacity onboard) and the radiation per kerbal immediately doubled. I'm sure that's working as intended with the current system, but it does seem pretty crazy.

Did your pod have a 2.5m heat shield? Then it could be the single best shielded part of the vessel (because it's heavy). You may also use metal panels for better shielding instead, they are very cost-effective.

18 hours ago, garwel said:

Cool. Usually, I make and manage the compatibility patches, but if you have any specific ideas about balancing the parts or their special roles, you may keep them.

PR made with 4 new patch files for the following mods:

• Atomic Age
  • FTmN
  • FTmn-New
  • RSCapsuledyne

which are all included in the Spacetux Industries Recycled Parts mod

7 hours ago, garwel said:

Did your pod have a 2.5m heat shield? Then it could be the single best shielded part of the vessel (because it's heavy). You may also use metal panels for better shielding instead, they are very cost-effective.

It did, although not with much ablator on it. I'm not saying that there's a bug or that the maths is wrong, but it does seem incongruous that one small vessel docked to the station should have such a big impact. Maybe the heat shields need to be given less influence in favour of build-in shielding?