[1.8+] Kerbal Health 1.6.8 (2024-01-22)

garwel

Sorry about it. I think I found the issue; it is related to renaming of kerbals, which wasn't handled correctly by KH. I added (hopefully) a fix for it, which will be included in the next release.

14 hours ago, garwel said:

Sorry about it. I think I found the issue; it is related to renaming of kerbals, which wasn't handled correctly by KH. I added (hopefully) a fix for it, which will be included in the next release.

I have some issues when I open up the game, note I have kerbal renamer as I am running gpp. The problem is inside the vab/sph I only see options like eva, etc, but nothing relating to how long they will last with the current radiation shielding, or any info as to how much the ship has, it is a bit confusing for me

my hope is to use snacks and this for a simpler but not too easy experience 

8 hours ago, The-Doctor said:

I have some issues when I open up the game, note I have kerbal renamer as I am running gpp. The problem is inside the vab/sph I only see options like eva, etc, but nothing relating to how long they will last with the current radiation shielding, or any info as to how much the ship has, it is a bit confusing for me

my hope is to use snacks and this for a simpler but not too easy experience 

I think the bug was with the list of kerbals that KH keeps. Basically, when you renamed your kerbals, it would update the name in the record but not the list's index. Therefore it couldn't find the right kerbal and all further calculations failed with NRE. It should be fixed in 1.2, which I hope to release soon.

• 4 weeks later...

At last, Kerbal Health 1.2 is almost done! (TBH, it was 95% ready a month or two ago, and I've been procrastinating with testing and bug-stomping since.)

A pre-release version is now available at Github. It is feature-complete, but may still contain bugs, so back up your save. I'll appreciate any bug reports or ideas for improvement. See the change log and download the pre-release here. If nothing really bad is discovered, I'm going to release the official version this week.

PS: In particular, I am interested in having someone test it with kerbal-renaming mods, which I don't use. Checking for inconsistent health change calculations between flight and KSC is also important.

Edited by garwel

Yay, it's been almost three months since the last official release and here we go!

Kerbal Health 1.2.0

• Added: Health quirks—individual features of kerbals so that they react to health factors differently. The Quirks are 100% editable; you can add, remove or change them by editing KerbalHealth.cfg or with MM patches. Kerbals have a 25% chance of getting a semi-random Quirk (depending on their Stupidity and Courage) when they level up. Everything is adjustable (or can be disabled) in the Settings, as usual.
  • Added: Support patches for SSTU, Malemute, Tundra, RLA Reborn
  • Added: UI is now colorful (I welcome suggestions about the color scheme)
  • Added: Health decay is now displayed in Details view
  • Changed: Radiation now increases gradually as you get farther from a celestial body (due to occlusion); body radiation shielding setting has been deprecated
  • Fixed: 1.875 m heat shield from Making History now provides radiation shielding
  • Fixed: Blurry toolbar icon
  • Fixed: Date/time displayed incorrectly for periods over 1 year
  • Fixed: Panic Attack time was displayed incorrectly
  • Fixed: Exposure was not calculated correctly on game load
  • Fixed: NRE when renaming kerbals
  • Fixed: Potential NRE when kerbal currently viewed in Health Monitor is killed/removed
  • Fixed: NRE related to Sickness in some crew configurations

Download here

Edited by garwel

2 hours ago, garwel said:

Yay, it's been almost three months since the last official release and here we go!

Weee! Thanks for sharing! Just in time too! I've just spend a good check of this afternoon reinstalling a new version of 1.4.3 with 83 mods and I've got my log file ERR count down to 14 lines. :) 

Seems that for existing and new games there's might be an error about a missing KH difficulty setting.

[ERR 02:01:11.605] Error calling custom SetDifficultyPreset method in type [KerbalHealth.KerbalHealthQuirkSettings, KerbalHealth.KerbalHealthQuirkSettings]:

[EXC 02:01:11.605] NotImplementedException: The requested feature is not implemented.
	GameParameters+CustomParameterNode.SetDifficultyPreset (Preset preset)
	GameParameters.GetDefaultParameters (Modes mode, Preset p)
	UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
	GameParameters:GetDefaultParameters(Modes, Preset)
	MainMenu:Start()

53 minutes ago, wile1411 said:

Seems that for existing and new games there's might be an error about a missing KH difficulty setting.

[ERR 02:01:11.605] Error calling custom SetDifficultyPreset method in type [KerbalHealth.KerbalHealthQuirkSettings, KerbalHealth.KerbalHealthQuirkSettings]:

[EXC 02:01:11.605] NotImplementedException: The requested feature is not implemented.
	GameParameters+CustomParameterNode.SetDifficultyPreset (Preset preset)
	GameParameters.GetDefaultParameters (Modes mode, Preset p)
	UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
	GameParameters:GetDefaultParameters(Modes, Preset)
	MainMenu:Start()

Damn, I forgot to disable that. Thanks for pointing out!

Everyone, the download has been updated with a hotfix. Please reinstall the mod if you've already downloaded it!

Could I give a little bit of feedback if any of these are of interest:

Other than the wiki and the message when they are assigned, is there any in game way to see what the affect of a quirk is?

I initially went looking for tooltips on the Health Details screen (In Space Center as well as in Flight) to see if it might be there. I figured it might appear when hovering over the existing Quirk name of a Kerbal, but wasn't able to get anything to appear. It looks like the quirks are taken into account with the Health Report in the VAB/SPH, is there a way that the quirk effect can be shown so it's clear as to the why there is a difference between Kerbals?

On the Health Report - it looks like the width is a touch narrow at the moment. With thte time left showing days, the s (seconds) letter has jogged down a line

Edited by wile1411

Yep, unfortunately, there is no simple way of seeing the quirks' effects right now. My UI skills are just not good enough and I couldn't figure out how to use tooltips or the KSPedia. Maybe, if one day I learn it, I'll make things more convenient. Right now, you better look in the wiki.

I'll take a look at the width issues in the Health Report. I've already noticed some small issues with positioning there and it may be related.

I haven't played RO, but I understand it's a collection of various mods, some of which may have their patches and some not. In general, you don't necessarily need a patch for Kerbal Health to run alongside another mod; it tries its best to be compatible to anything. E.g., it should be ok with mods that replace Kerbin with Earth (though I haven't tested it). Try it and let me know how it works. Just make sure to get the version compatible with your KSP installation (v1.1.1 should be ok).

For some reason it didn't apply the radiation module where it should. When I replaced this code

@PART[*]:HAS[#CrewCapacity[>0],~name[*Cockpit*],~name[Cockpit*],~name[*Cockpit],~name[*cupola*],~name[cupola*],~name[*cupola],~name[cupola],!RESOURCE[RadiationShielding],!MODULE[KerbalSeat]]:AFTER[KerbalHealth]
{
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = RadiationShielding
		amount = 0
		maxAmount = #$../CrewCapacity$
	}
}

with this 

@PART[*Cockpit*|Cockpit*|*Cockpit|*cupola*|cupola*|*cupola|cupola]:HAS[#CrewCapacity[>0],!RESOURCE[RadiationShielding],!MODULE[KerbalSeat]]:FINAL
{
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = RadiationShielding
		amount = 0
		maxAmount = #$../CrewCapacity$
	}
}

it worked fine.

The point of that piece of code is not to add RadiationShielding to cockpits and cupolas. These parts are supposed to have too wide glass area and/or not expected to be used in deep space, therefore they lack shielding.

Edited by garwel

• 2 weeks later...

Hello @garwel is it intentional that the stock RTG does not cause any additional radiation? If not how much radiation would you suggest?

Similarly I noticed that a bunch of nuclear engines and reactors from my mods do not have a kerbal health module for radiation and I am trying to write an mm patch for them.  Can you share a balance guideline? EDIT: Checking out a few example configs you seem to have used heatProduction value for engines.

Thanks in advance! Loving the mod!

Edited by canisin

On 6/28/2018 at 8:16 PM, canisin said:

Hello @garwel is it intentional that the stock RTG does not cause any additional radiation? If not how much radiation would you suggest?

Similarly I noticed that a bunch of nuclear engines and reactors from my mods do not have a kerbal health module for radiation and I am trying to write an mm patch for them.  Can you share a balance guideline? EDIT: Checking out a few example configs you seem to have used heatProduction value for engines.

Thanks in advance! Loving the mod!

After some research, I decided that the RTG shouldn't be radioactive. It normally uses Plutonium-238, which emits almost exclusively alpha particles, which are easily stopped by its own thin shielding and have negligible health effect. That is the theory, at least.

You are right: with nuclear engines, I make their Radioactivity equal their heatProduction. If the engine has several modes, I use the average of their heatProductions. Reactors (used by KSP-IE) have a different approach that will be changed in the next release.

Edited by garwel

• 2 weeks later...

Quick question.  I had a kerbal level up mid-mission and they got the quirk game addict.  I had to cut the mission short when they ran low on health faster than expected.  However, they continued to lose health back at the KSC and died.  Do you think the health decay of game addict continued once landed ?  If so, what modification can I make to only apply the decay when assigned?  Thanks

1 hour ago, spacebaby said:

Quick question.  I had a kerbal level up mid-mission and they got the quirk game addict.  I had to cut the mission short when they ran low on health faster than expected.  However, they continued to lose health back at the KSC and died.  Do you think the health decay of game addict continued once landed ?  If so, what modification can I make to only apply the decay when assigned?  Thanks

It looks like a bug; I'll check it.

PS: If you don't want to have such unpleasant surprises, uncheck "Award on Missions" option in the Quirk Settings tab. Then quirks will only be added when safe at KSC.

PPS: Try the following to fix this bug:

- open KerbalHealth.cfg from your GameData/KerbalHealth

- find "name = GameAddict" line

- inside the EFFECT section below it, add this

operator = or
kerbalStatus = Available

Edited by garwel

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/9/2018 at 10:39 AM, garwel said:

Added: UI is now colorful (I welcome suggestions about the color scheme)

I have notices that now,  during flight,  the kerbals' info line in the GUI,  which are those active in the vessel, appear in red. I am working with the assumption that they are only highlighted to set them appart from other kerbals,  since the GUI shows all kerbals,  regardless of them being home or aboard.

If so, great!  It was indeed easy to mistake one for another. But still..... bright red? It kinda gives you the intuitive response that they are highlighted because something is WRONG. Besides,  when and if you eventually implement a "color" warning of some kind,  people will already be acustomed to red meaning something else. My suggestion: use some other,  more neutral color for indicating the active kerbals,  like blue or so.

26 minutes ago, Daniel Prates said:

If so, great!  It was indeed easy to mistake one for another. But still..... bright red? It kinda gives you the intuitive response that they are highlighted because something is WRONG. Besides,  when and if you eventually implement a "color" warning of some kind,  people will already be acustomed to red meaning something else. My suggestion: use some other,  more neutral color for indicating the active kerbals,  like blue or so.

I agree. It can also be a bit hard to red in some situations.

• 3 weeks later...

Downloaded the newest version of Kerbal health from the website, and it does not come with any install instructions.  So I unzipped the files and copied them into the Gamedata folder.  When i went into the game and started a new career I do not see anything related to Kerbal Health.  I do not see an icon or stats showing the current level of health.  It does appear that kerbal health is working because in the messages I do see something about special quirks for the characters that are in the spaceship.  I never saw that before.  I just don't see that icon to see the full stats.  I'm using KSP 1.4.4 and just wanted to know if anyone has it working for 1.4.4.

Thanks for any help.

Bill