[1.8+] Kerbal Health 1.6.8 (2024-01-22)

garwel

9 hours ago, gamerscircle said:

Hi there -

This is going to be a dumb question, but how does work with TAC Life Support?

I ask , as I put a text craft on the launch pad to watch another mod, I got the warning about their health, but no food was consumed and I realize that this might be a TAC thing, but this is a new mod to me and I thought I would ask here first.

Did you use time warp?  one of the new things this mod introduces is health reductions due to loneliness and cramped spaces. Their health will deteriorate just being in the pod as time passes. I dont know TAC-Life, so dont know if food/water/O2 is consumed when sitting on the pad waiting launch.

3 hours ago, BlackHat said:

Did you use time warp?  one of the new things this mod introduces is health reductions due to loneliness and cramped spaces. Their health will deteriorate just being in the pod as time passes. I dont know TAC-Life, so dont know if food/water/O2 is consumed when sitting on the pad waiting launch.

Yes... I was testing with Time Warp, thanks for letting me know.

On 11/16/2018 at 7:06 PM, gamerscircle said:

Hi there -

This is going to be a dumb question, but how does work with TAC Life Support?

I ask , as I put a text craft on the launch pad to watch another mod, I got the warning about their health, but no food was consumed and I realize that this might be a TAC thing, but this is a new mod to me and I thought I would ask here first.

This mod doesn't (almost) interact with life support mods at all. The best way to check if there are any issues with kerbals' health is to use the Health Monitor by clicking the KH's toolbar button (red cross in a white circle). As it's been said, depending on your craft, kerbals may be losing health even on the start pad.

Update please Confinement info in the /wiki/Health-Factors and wiki/Tips-&-Tricks. 

What is  6 in the 

It means that if, for instance, you put 3 kerbals in the Hitchhiker (1.6 living space), they will lose 6 x (3 / 1.6) x 40% = 4.5 HP per day due to crowdedness.

"Living Space" in a part's config is about "how many living space every kerbal has around in a fully crewed part" or "how many space in a part, without considering crew capacity"?
How it calculated automatically, as crew capacity? Why does lab's living space equal 0.8 ?

Edited by flart

5 hours ago, flart said:

Update please Confinement info in the /wiki/Health-Factors and wiki/Tips-&-Tricks. 

What is  6 in the 

"Living Space" in a part's config is about "how many living space every kerbal has around in a fully crewed part" or "how many space in a part, without considering crew capacity"?
How it calculated automatically, as crew capacity? Why does lab's living space equal 0.8 ?

6 in that formula is the (default) base Confinement rate. You can change it in the Settings. It corresponds to how much HP are drained per day from a single kerbal in a pod with 1 unit of Living Space.

Living Space is an abstraction for actual space + some basic amenities provided by a craft for kerbals' life. It is a sum of all Living Space values in all parts of the vessel. So if you put together two parts with LS value of 0.8, the vessel will have LS of 1.6. It is then divided among the crew and used in the formula that you quoted.

Some parts have more LS and some have less. There is a rather complex formula I use, but it's enough to say that things like crew capacity, mass, cost and purpose of the part play a role there. So, the Lab is not really a residential part and has limited living space (that is, you could spend a few night cramped between the equipment and surface samples, but you can't stay like this for long).

Some more specifically residential parts (like the Hitchhiker) in addition to LS provide a Comforts module. Let's assume these are things like a shower, a kitchen, a dining area etc. These things are shared among kerbals on board and can further reduce Confinement stress at a certain rate. These things take up some space, so such parts end up with less LS than they might have otherwise. For optimal results, you should strike a balance between having enough Living Space and adding Comforts. Experiment--or calculate.

@garwel Do you plan to add any support for KSPIE? It has many highly radioactive artificial sources. Notice that for Fusion engine, radioactivity is highly variable. I wonder if we could achieve variable behaviour if I would add a ModuleKerbalHealth partmodule to the fusion engines and modify radioactivity during flight. Would that work or will it require some additional setting or changes? It would be easiest if you could define an interface and put it in a separate dll which can be included by other mods for interaction.

Edited by FreeThinker

On 9/3/2018 at 10:35 PM, garwel said:

You only get description of the quirks in-game when a kerbal acquires one. My Unity skills are too bad to make a KSPedia page and I haven't come up with a good idea how to show it with existing UI.

There are plenty opportunities:
The most cool one is integrating Kerbal Quirk Info to the Flight Portrait tooltip, to the Portrait Stat mod by @DMagic, to the kerbal tooltip on the Kerbonaut Complex and on the VAB Crew Tab.
The easier one is in your Health Monitor, alongside "Details", make the second button "Quirks" with descriptions and names of the Quirks.

----------

Another requests is:

• a checkbox for the Quirks in the VAB Health Report or/and the same "Quirks" button with descriptions and names of the Quirks on the VAB Health Report for every kerbal
  • update Health Report when user is moving kerbals around on the VAB's crew tab
    or, in case of lack of the GameEvent, if Health Report is opened then just update it every second
Edited by flart

20 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

@garwel Do you plan to add any support for KSPIE? It has many highly radioactive artificial sources. Notice that for Fusion engine, radioactive is highly variable. I wonder if we could achieve variable behaviour if I would add a ModuleKerbalHealth partmodule to the fusion engines and modify radioactivity during flight. Would that work or will it require some additional setting or changes? It would be easiest if you could define an interface and put it in a separate dll which can be included by other mods for interaction.

Currently, there is a patch for KSPIE that adds radioactivity to relevant parts (reactors and engines). I'm not 100% sure I got the balance right, because I don't have much experience with the mod yet. I generally used heatProduction (for engines), power production and fuel efficiency (for reactors) to calculate radioactivity. A few individual engines have higher emission (judging by their descriptions) while some others don't emit it at all. These figures are static and don't take engine's throttling or mode into account. There is a spreadsheet with all the numbers (see Radioactivity sheet).

I haven't tried modifying radioactivity via code. In theory, this should work if you can access these properties at all. There may be some issues with my optimization in KH: all the data is normally updated once every 10 seconds (it depends on timewarp) and it is cached when the vessel is unloaded. But it shouldn't be a big deal.

As for API, it was in the roadmap from day 1. But frankly, I've never done this stuff before and I don't even know where to start. If you could point me in the right direction (a working example of such a mod or some relevant discussion), I could try to do something. I'm not asking you for a PR knowing how much time you already have to invest in your mod.

11 hours ago, Errol said:

Which planets have the "killing planets" radiation effect, and how do you deal with it?

If I'm reading the tea leaves correctly, the next version of GPP may have it implemented at Thalia and possibly other planets.  In terms of dealing with it, I'm thinking it would be the same combination of craft design (moar shielding) and mission profiles which minimize time on the surface.

12 hours ago, Norcalplanner said:

If I'm reading the tea leaves correctly, the next version of GPP may have it implemented at Thalia and possibly other planets.  In terms of dealing with it, I'm thinking it would be the same combination of craft design (moar shielding) and mission profiles which minimize time on the surface.

I thought that I read somewhere that some of the OPM planets had it too....can anyone confirm?

4 hours ago, Errol said:

I thought that I read somewhere that some of the OPM planets had it too....can anyone confirm?

There is one such body. I don't want to spoil the fun of discovery though (you are advised to send a probe that measures radiation before sending your valuable crew). If you are eager to know, open KerbalHealth.cfg and look for a PLANET_HEALTH_CONFIG node with a radioactivity value.

17 hours ago, garwel said:

Can you clarify what sort of issues happens and in which case(s)?

You might want to disregard the FTT part of my issue.  Seems the patch only includes the larger Orca command pod, which I don't associate with FTT in my head, not the yellow Honeybadger so the Needs FTT functionality might not be an issue.

As for Malemute, the additional modules for Kerbal Health are not added to the command pods and passenger cabins.  They all are meant to receive recuperation, comforts, meditation... frankly I think the whole patch is a little OP for rover parts despite them having some decently large viewing windows.  For whatever reason the Lynx (Feline Utility Rovers) and Karibou (Karibou) have all their modules patched in, despite both having Needs coding in the patch, but the Malemute parts are ignored, instead defaulting to 1 living space and 1 shielding capacity per crew capacity on the part and getting no additional modules.  Deleting the Needs: Malemute from the code causes all modules to be added as intended.  I don't see a spelling error there and my folders for the Malemute are no different than the Karibou, both being inside the UmbraSpaceIndustries forlder, but I've had issues making MM patches with Needs in them so I tend to avoid it for my own personal use.

Looks like quite an old patch too since it adds Crowded modifying modules, which seem to be changed to confinement to create comforts modules in all other patches.  I assume crowded was the old name for confinement at some point in KH's life.

Just noticed Sickness rather than Conditions too.

Edited by overkill13

Ok, I see it now. This patch was provided by someone else and I didn't check it out before importing. It's a mess and I will remake it anew. Thanks for pointing out. It will be included in the next release (and will be nerfed quite a bit).

Last night I had a dream that a kerbal on one of my Kerbin bases was very sick with an infectious illness, and I was in a panic trying to get a medical bay module attached so I could treat him before he died or infected the other kerbals.

I did a quick search and found this mod; now I can make my dream come true. Thanks, Garwel!

12 hours ago, THEdragon said:

Last night I had a dream that a kerbal on one of my Kerbin bases was very sick with an infectious illness, and I was in a panic trying to get a medical bay module attached so I could treat him before he died or infected the other kerbals.

I did a quick search and found this mod; now I can make my dream come true. Thanks, Garwel!

LOL, this is inspiring. I'm considering a motto "Making your worst nightmares come true" for this mod.

Kerbal Health 1.3.2

• Compiled for KSP 1.5.1
  • Added: You can now add health modules' actions in action groups (untested, thanks to @DefiantZombie)
  • Added: Patch for Feline Utility Rovers
  • Added: If RealisticAtmospheres & OPM mods are installed, Tylo will have 0.2-strong atmospheric radiation absorption
  • Changed: Redone from scratch patches for Malemute, Karibou and FTT, with more parts supported
  • Fixed: New mk1 pod (since KSP 1.5) now has correct Kerbal Health settings
  • Removed: TundraBFR patch, which was incomplete and unbalanced anyway

Download here

Ah looks like I downloaded this one less than a day before it updated! Haha, well, that's not a problem.

I have a suggestion, and I don't know how possible it is to implement it, but it has always bothered me how kerbals who get into physical accidents on EVA either die immediately or are completely unscathed (Or turn into spaghetti...). Perhaps an interesting mechanic would be for kerbals to become injured by collisions that are very fast/hard but not enough to kill them? For example, if a kerbal jumps out of a flying vehicle (not recommended) and lands on the ground, they might not die by the game's mechanics but a fall like that would surely injure someone in real life. Maybe collisions at a certain speed will injure them, like how parts break at certain collision speeds.

As for what happens to the injured kerbal on EVA, I am not sure. Realistically they would not be able to move and would be stuck in a limp, ragdoll state, but I don't know what method could be used to get them back to safety in such a case.

3 hours ago, garwel said:

Kerbal Health 1.3.2

• Added: Patch for Feline Utility Rovers
  • Changed: Redone from scratch patches for Malemute, Karibou and FTT, with more parts supported

Download here

Are confinement and connected modifiers defaulting to the crewcap of the part in question?  These patches do not appear to set a cap on the number of kerbals who may benefit from the modifiers in the crew cabs and labs.

3 hours ago, overkill13 said:

Are confinement and connected modifiers defaulting to the crewcap of the part in question?  These patches do not appear to set a cap on the number of kerbals who may benefit from the modifiers in the crew cabs and labs.

Oh man. This is what happens when I haven't been playing the game for weeks and suddenly decide to release an update. These things actually default to "free multipliers", that is they apply to all crew, no matter how many. This is of course not intended, so I'll post another update now. Thanks for pointing out.