[1.8+] Kerbal Health 1.6.8 (2024-01-22)

garwel

1 hour ago, garwel said:

What do you mean as a half-life mechanic?

I'll try my best to explain what I mean. Radiation doesn't stay forever. It eventually "breaks down". Half-life is the length of time it takes for something to halve from its original value. As an example, let's say Kerbal Health's radiation had a half-life of 1 year. If Jebediah had 16,000 bananas of radiation, he would have 8,000 bananas after one year, 4,000 bananas after two, 2,000 after three, etc. Assuming, of course, that he doesn't receive any additional radiation in the meantime.

As far as how to implement it, it could be updated continually (like the current marginal health mechanic) or possibly something that is only triggered when a certain condition is met (e.g. unassigned at the KSC). I don't know very much programming so I'm not sure which method would be easier to implement or if it's something worth doing at all. I certainly don't want to make the radiation mechanic useless (it can already be simply turned off), but I do think it might be worth thinking about having a way for Kerbals to "recover" from radiation over time.

Wikipedia article

6 minutes ago, Epiphanic said:

I'll try my best to explain what I mean. Radiation doesn't stay forever. It eventually "breaks down". Half-life is the length of time it takes for something to halve from its original value. As an example, let's say Kerbal Health's radiation had a half-life of 1 year. If Jebediah had 16,000 bananas of radiation, he would have 8,000 bananas after one year, 4,000 bananas after two, 2,000 after three, etc. Assuming, of course, that he doesn't receive any additional radiation in the meantime.

As far as how to implement it, it could be updated continually (like the current marginal health mechanic) or possibly something that is only triggered when a certain condition is met (e.g. unassigned at the KSC). I don't know very much programming so I'm not sure which method would be easier to implement or if it's something worth doing at all. I certainly don't want to make the radiation mechanic useless (it can already be simply turned off), but I do think it might be worth thinking about having a way for Kerbals to "recover" from radiation over time.

Wikipedia article

It seems to me you are confusing two radiation-related things: radioactive decay and health effects of radiation. Radioactive substances (such as Uranium-238 or Polonium-210) have a half-life because their atoms are unstable. As a result of these nuclear reactions, they produce various forms of radiation, which can reach a human (or kerbal) body and ionize some atoms in it. But the ionized cells don't have to be radioactive themselves.

As far as I understand, the health problems arise mainly from the cases when DNA molecules in body cells are hit by radiation, ionized, and change their structure—mutate. It increases the risk of cancer, producing mutated offspring, sterility, or, in case of exposure to extreme doses, radiation sickness and death. I suspect that some of the mutated genetic material is indeed removed from the body as cells naturally die out, but it's not guaranteed (they may as well split and pass on their mutated genes to the new cells). So, from a realistic point of view, there is so far no way of "healing" radiation effects. Hence all at-risk professions (astronauts, airline pilots, nuclear plant staff, etc.) have their limits on annual and lifetime doses. If you've received your lifetime dose of radiation, you've got to find a safer job, that's it.

We may assume that in the future it will change or that kerbals have a different physiology, but it should still be hard. I'm leaning toward giving a special option (perhaps after reseraching a high-tier tech) to heal the kerbals by paying a large sum and grounding them for a significant period of time. For instance, you may have to keep your kerbal for a year at the KSC to heal 20,000 bananas. And next time with the same kerbal it will take even longer. So you'll still have to take effects of radiation into account for long missions.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it possible to easily deactivate large swaths of this?  The reason I ask is there are circumstances where I like some of it but not most parts of it, mainly because I just want 1-2 things my other add-ons aren't already doing.  I know some of this is handled in settings, but is there any impact on performance for these things being loaded/running even if they are not being visibly engaged?  Basically, if I disable it, I don't want it taking CPU cycles and RAM, because I already have a tonne of things running.

For instance, I use the whole of Roverdude's USI/MKS stack - and I find USI-LS hab rules sufficiently fun without becoming overly intricate. After all they are little green beings with ginormous heads on an improbable planet, definitely not humans, plus they are rather bouncy and fireproof (and keep well in a freezer per DeepFreeze).  KH adds some decent twists, but with the permanence of radiation effects, that part of KH is overkill (pun intended) for my gameplay, crossing the line between play and work.  However, I wouldn't mind injuries and recovery and the like to be there.

Edited by Murdabenne

25 minutes ago, Murdabenne said:

Is it possible to easily deactivate large swaths of this?  The reason I ask is there are circumstances where I like some of it but not most parts of it, mainly because I just want 1-2 things my other add-ons aren't already doing.  I know some of this is handled in settings, but is there any impact on performance for these things being loaded/running even if they are not being visibly engaged?  Basically, if I disable it, I don't want it taking CPU cycles and RAM, because I already have a tonne of things running.

For instance, I use the whole of Roverdude's USI/MKS stack - and I find USI-LS hab rules sufficiently fun without becoming overly intricate. After all they are little green beings with ginormous heads on an improbable planet, definitely not humans, plus they are rather bouncy and fireproof (and keep well in a freezer per DeepFreeze).  KH adds some decent twists, but with the permanence of radiation effects, that part of KH is overkill (pun intended) for my gameplay, crossing the line between play and work.  However, I wouldn't mind injuries and recovery and the like to be there.

I tried to minimize performance impact for when the mod, or its components, are disabled. So, for instance, if you disable radiation mechanics, it won't be calculated (even though the values will continue to be displayed in Health Monitor). Most factors will still be calculated even if their impact is set to 0. I may try to do something about it in the future.

On 18/10/2017 at 7:17 PM, The-Doctor said:

I am getting errors and the return to space center and tracking station buttons isn't working, neither quit to main menu, F5 or F9. The game says error with kerbal health. On a phone so unable to send log file until maybe next week. The game fixes when I quit and open again but it's tiresome

Is it possible for an ageing mechanic to be implemented so that kerbals age and die after 50 years or maybe more? I wanna build a generational ship

I have the same bug.

Hello.
I have such a problem. Sometimes after the acceleration of time, the game interface becomes partially inaccessible. Unable to save the game, exit to the menu. If at this moment be in the KSC and go into any building, then do not get back to KSC. Сan close the game only with alt-F4
In the cheat-menu I saw this.
xz0l_Jk_RBVv_M.jpg

Deep Freeze is not installed.
The kerbal that causes the error is not displayed in the center of the kerbonauts. It did not exist until the appearance of the bug. With each appearance of the bug, he has a different name. In the cheat menu in the section of kerbal it is, but its status is UNKNOWN
j_Afv_LUOLti_Y.jpg

UPD: After removing several mods (including mods for contracts), I found this:

image.png

Edited by Malcolm

2 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Hello.
I have such a problem. Sometimes after the acceleration of time, the game interface becomes partially inaccessible. Unable to save the game, exit to the menu. If at this moment be in the KSC and go into any building, then do not get back to KSC. Сan close the game only with alt-F4
In the cheat-menu I saw this.
xz0l_Jk_RBVv_M.jpg

Deep Freeze is not installed.
The kerbal that causes the error is not displayed in the center of the kerbonauts. It did not exist until the appearance of the bug. With each appearance of the bug, he has a different name. In the cheat menu in the section of kerbal it is, but its status is UNKNOWN
j_Afv_LUOLti_Y.jpg

UPD: After removing several mods (including mods for contracts), I found this:

image.png

Can you enable Debug Mode and share the output log and your mods list (e.g. screenshot of GameData folder)? The DFWrapper log spam is annoying (it's fixed in the next release), but it shouldn't freeze the game or cause any serious issues. Kerbal Health never changes kerbals' names, so it may be another mod's problem.

Edited by garwel

The DFWrapper log spam disappeared when I placed Deep Freeze. The problem is not this.
OK. I copied my KSP, removed ALL of the mods, except Kerbal Health, clear module manager cach. Turn on Debug.
The problem is still there!
According to my observations, the problem arises after a time warp, when in a mission ceter they offer me a contract for rescue from orbit. Or a contract for a tourist.
image.png

image.png
image.png
image.png

UPD: I found that KerbalHealth_1.0.0-pre.2 does not seem to cause this bug. Only KerbalHealth_1.0.0-pre.3. (I play on the version of the game 1.3.0)

Edited by Malcolm

Hello, 

I think I might found what caused assigned but not found spam.

the unity update() called GetCosmicRadiation(), which then called Vessel v = Core.KerbalVessel(PCM). Then v was used without checking if it's null.

I'll try if adding a null checking fix the problem.

Not sure what created ghost Kerbal, I made a makeshift compile, prevent OnKerbalAdded event to add assigned but not in vessel kerbal, but with no effect. 

[KerbalHealth] ERROR: Malson Kerman is Assigned, but was not found in any of the 47 vessels!

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 42)

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at KerbalHealth.KerbalHealthStatus.GetCosmicRadiation () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at KerbalHealth.KerbalHealthStatus.Update (Double interval) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at KerbalHealth.KerbalHealthList.Update (Double interval) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at KerbalHealth.KerbalHealthScenario.UpdateKerbals (Boolean forced) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at KerbalHealth.KerbalHealthScenario.OnSave (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ScenarioModule.Save (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ProtoScenarioModule..ctor (.ScenarioModule module) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ScenarioRunner.UpdateModules () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ScenarioRunner.GetUpdatedProtoModules () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Game.Updated () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at GamePersistence.SaveGame (System.String saveFileName, System.String saveFolder, SaveMode saveMode) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at TrackingStationBuilding.OnClicked () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at SpaceCenterBuilding.EnterBuilding () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at SpaceCenterBuilding.OnLeftClick () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at SpaceCenterBuilding+<OnMouseTap>c__IteratorBC.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (IEnumerator enumerator, IntPtr returnValueAddress) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

(Filename:  Line: -1)

[KerbalHealth] ERROR: Malson Kerman is Assigned, but was not found in any of the 47 vessels!

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 42)

at KerbalHealth.KerbalHealthStatus.GetCosmicRadiation () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at KerbalHealth.KerbalHealthStatus.Update (Double interval) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at KerbalHealth.KerbalHealthList.Update (Double interval) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at KerbalHealth.KerbalHealthScenario.UpdateKerbals (Boolean forced) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at KerbalHealth.KerbalHealthScenario.FixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at KerbalHealth.KerbalHealthScenario.FixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

I found the problem. It was in handling the event for creation of kerbals; some contracts broke it. Adding a check of the kerbal's type seems to fix it. I will release the fix, alongside some other small improvements, as soon as I fix an issue with DeepFreeze, hopefully soon.

Kerbal Health 1.0.1

• Added: Health modules in parts now have names depending on their functions
  • Added: Health module action names (on right click) are now "Enable..." or "Disable..." instead of just "Toggle..."
  • Added: Accident events' chance now depend on stupidity: more stupid kerbals have more bad stuff happening to them
  • Fixed: NRE on some tourist and rescue contracts
  • Fixed: Panic attacks were ridiculously long
  • Fixed: DFWrapper log spam
  • Fixed: Radiation level of frozen (with DeepFreeze) kerbals didn't change
  • Fixed: Command seats had RadShield capacity when TakeCommand was installed
  • Improved performance with some caching, code cleanup and optimized compilation

Download for KSP 1.3.1

Download for KSP 1.3.0

@Malcolm made some patches including ones for PBS. Also he asked me to help with translation and Github stuff.

My note: personally I don't play with PBS so I included the internal part names in brackets for better understanding. 

Translated text begins here.

1)
Hitchhiker's Storage Container:

MODULE 
{ 
  name = ModuleKerbalHealth 
  partCrewOnly = true 
  recuperation = 2 
  crewCap = 4 
  resourceConsumptionPerKerbal = 1 
}

These changes balance it a bit against the habitats from PBS and also adds the Recuperation ability as to Med Bay from MKS (see below). The Recuperation factor is not that big, just 2%, but it's gonna be the lowest in terms of electricity consumption. Thus I tried to make the Hitchhiker's Storage Container useful all the way to the late game as a cheap way to boost kerbal health.

My thoughts are: the module has 4 gym devices (what do you think are those chairs with levers and foot holds at the walls? Ain't they control consoles are they?) and a bunch of boxes with some stuff inside including delicious food and board games. Being inside the module helps kerbals to regenerate their muscle tone and have some rest.

(Translator's note: this one is not included in the patch.)

2) Planetary habitations Mk1 & Mk2
I think modules with a cabin, a bed, a sofa, a microwave oven and a TV just can't be less comfortable than a round can with four chairs and a box of cookies (like the Hitchhiker's Storage Container).

For comparison, the Hitchhiker's Storage Container has Crowded coefficient = 0.375 (the lowest among the stock parts). The aircraft passenger cabins have Crowded = 0.5.

Also I've looked at the MKS integration patches, some of which have the Recuperation bonus for modules like Medical Bay (which has Recuperation = 8) but for enormous 5 EC/s per each Kerbal and for only Kerbals that are inside. Okay so I made these patches for players who wish to build a planetary base out of PBS parts instead of MKS so they would require the changes. I think its logical that if a Kerbal isn't working in a lab, in a workshop or in a greenhouse and isn't piloting then one would like to relax, have a rest, take a break and watch a movie from a Kollywood collection on a giant plasma TV.

Habitat Mk1 (KKAOSS_Habitat_MK1_g)
BEFORE: Crowded = 0.45
AFTER: Crowded = 0.40
ADDED:

MODULE 
{ 
  partCrewOnly = true 
  recuperation = 3 
  crewCap = 3 
  resourceConsumptionPerKerbal = 2.5 
}

Its a bit lighter in terms of mass (per 3 Kerbals) than the Hitchhiker's Storage Container, but much more cheaper. The mod dev probably focused on the cost when he was assigning Crowded = 0.45. I think its not fair that a spacious module with three beds, a microwave oven, a sofa and a giant plasma TV set is just a little bit more comfortable than an aircraft passenger mk1 cabin which has only two chairs and a table. Considering the low cost, I assign Crowded = 0.40, Recuperation = 3 for 2.5 EC per each Kerbal (think of cooking popcorn in an oven and watching TV).

Habitat Mk2 (KKAOSS_Habitat_MK2_g)
Added: 

MODULE 
{ 
  partCrewOnly = true 
  recuperation = 4 
  crewCap = 4 
  resourceConsumptionPerKerbal = 2.5 
}

This one is three times cheaper than the Hitchhiker's Storage Container, 100 kilograms heavier and requires more electricity: 1.5 against 1.3 (probably for the microwave oven); wherein it adds hab space for 4 Kerbals while inflated only. The low cost is compensated I think by high electricity requirement, being tricky to deliver and impossibility of usage while deflated. As in the Mk1 part, I also add this one the ability to Recuperate the idle Kerbals. Also it also has the K-Box console and the K-Station with K-Nect along with the Kollywood movies collection.

3) Central Hub (KKAOSS_Central_Hub)
Added:

MODULE 
{ 
  multiplyFactor = Sickness 
  multiplier = 0.7 
  crewCap = 2 
  partCrewOnly = true 
}

This one is big, heavy and expensive. Aside from that, it can also represent the lab though its not that good. I added the Sickness multiplier to it so Kerbals can get rid of flu. The coefficient is 0.7 (the stock lab has 0.5). The rest of the attributes remain the same as for the stock lab. Didn't touch Recuperation = 2 and Crowded = 0.5, I think its fair enough. The Crowded one is not the best, but the module is already too universal.

Planetary Cupola, Garage, Heat Shield, Planetary Lab
The KH dev has probably forgotten those. I assign those attributes which follows their stock counterparts.

Planetary Cupola (KKAOSS_Cupola_g)
Added:

{ 
  MODULE 
  { 
    recuperation = 1 
  } 
  MODULE 
  { 
    multiplyFactor = Crowded 
    multiplier = 0.5
    crewCap = 2
  } 
}

Garage (KKAOSS_garage_side_g_2)
Added:

{ 
  MODULE 
  { 
    alwaysActive = true 
    shielding = 7.5 
  } 
  RESOURCE 
  { 
    name = RadiationShielding 
    amount = 0 
    maxAmount = 7.5 
  } 
}

//To be honest I don't understand why do stock cargo bays mk3 have radiation protection. Does it mean someone may put habitats inside those? For pure roleplay someone could, but in fact I doubt they will. But because the stock ones already have the protection, let PBS ones have it as well.//

Heat Shield (KKAOSS_base_heatshield)
Added:

{ 
  MODULE 
  { 
    alwaysActive = true 
    shielding = 3 
  } 
  RESOURCE 
  { 
    name = RadiationShielding 
    amount = 0 
    maxAmount = 3 
  } 
}

Planetary Lab (KKAOSS_Science_g)
Added:

{ 
  MODULE 
  { 
    multiplyFactor = Sickness 
    multiplier = 0.5 
    crewCap = 2 
    partCrewOnly = true 
  } 
}

P.S.: Initially I wanted to add the Recuperation ability to the Greenhouse, but then I looked at the IVA model carefully and concluded that Kerbals would not consider it fun to sit on bags with dirt watching at bare walls with a few racks with seedlings inside. So I thrown that idea away. Instead Recuperation goes to habitats. Also I would suggest to change the Hitchhiker's Storage Container attributes (see the beginning of the post).

Translation end.

I've just created the pull request.

Edited by atomontage
github info

@atomontage, I appreciate the effort you and @Malcolm put into this. I don't really play KPBS, so my adaptation was indeed half-baked. I did miss the lab and the heat shield, which I will add in the next release.

However, most your other suggestions are not compatible with my approach to balancing parts. First, I don't care about IVA props. From my point of view, they are in the game exclusively for aesthetic purposes. I do sometimes looks at parts' titles and descriptions, but only to understand their purpose, not to implement everything the mod author might claim about the part.

What I really take into consideration when deciding parts' parameters are two things: realism and balance. It means that I don't want to make any parts overpowered or useless. Each part should have some niche where it can be useful, but not to the extent that it renders other parts redundant.

To make things less random and more balanced, I made a few rules that allow me to calculate part's stats. You post helped me rethink and review these rules, and the next release will have a lot of parts rebalanced. Thank you for making me think about these things!

The formula I'm going to use for parts that provide bonus to Crowded is this:

CrowdedFactor = min (100%, 25% * (1 + RecuperationBonus) * sqrt (1000 * EffCrew / Cost) * EffCrew / Mass)

where

EffCrew = CrewCapacity + CommandModule + 5 * SciLab

CommandModule = 1 if the part has a command module,

SciLab = 1 if the part can be used as a science lab (can be less than 1 if the lab is smaller than the stock one)

Why these numbers? Well, I just see that they works quite good for the stock game, which is what I try to balance everything against.

Unfortunately, it means that most KPBS parts will need to be nerfed. E.g., Central Hub and Habitat Mk1 will provide no bonus to Crowded factor at all and Habitat Mk2 will only lower this factor to 70%. On the other hand, they will also use less EC. As to Recuperation, 2% is actually quite a lot. For instance, one of my own stations has just 1% recuperation, but that allows indefinite stay of two 2-star kerbals (of course I also use a hitchhiker and have plenty of room for them).

In my opinion, logic and external aesthetics are also important. In developing my corrections, I tried to make them balanced, based on your approach to stock detail. I like my balance option in combination with what you did before. But I will gladly look at your future vision.

Maybe I made a lot of requperation. My logic was that, on the basis of the need to do the rotation of the crew between the modules for recreation and modules for work. I was based on your patch for the MKS med bay. I do not play with MKS, and I wanted to give some effect to the effect of a med bay, but more expensive by EC.

Maybe it's worth making pbs modules worth more money?

Edited by Malcolm

44 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

In my opinion, logic and external aesthetics are also important. In developing my corrections, I tried to make them balanced, based on your approach to stock detail. I like my balance option in combination with what you did before. But I will gladly look at your future vision.

Maybe I made a lot of requperation. My logic was that, on the basis of the need to do the rotation of the crew between the modules for recreation and modules for work. I was based on your patch for the MKS med bay. I do not play with MKS, and I wanted to give some effect to the effect of a med bay, but more expensive by EC.

Maybe it's worth making pbs modules worth more money?

You are certainly free to modify patches the way you like; the license allows it. So if you feel that my approach doesn't suit you play style, go ahead and change them. As to me, I don't want to change part costs, because it's a sort of intervention into mod authors' territory and since I don't play those mods, I can easily break their own balancing.

MKS MedBay is different because it only provides bonus to its own residents (i.e. kerbals inside the part). It means that the kerbals it is treating can't do any other useful work. MedBay is mainly going to be used to deal with sick kerbals: keep them alive until they recover. Besides, I'll probably nerf its effect too.

8 hours ago, garwel said:

MKS MedBay is different because it only provides bonus to its own residents (i.e. kerbals inside the part). 

Yes, I understood that. I did the same for hitchhikers and for PBS habbitats. Since I do not play with MKS, I wanted to have an alternative to MedBay. And I wanted to get rid of Cupola spam.

Edited by Malcolm

1 hour ago, Malcolm said:

Yes, I understood that. I did the same for hitchhikers and for PBS habbitats. Since I do not play with MKS, I wanted to have an alternative to MedBay. And I wanted to get rid of Cupola spam.

Remember that the KPBS Central Hub also gives 2% Recuperation.

Your words also made me rethink my vision. I still do not agree with the fact that you need to focus only on mass and price. The size, shape, appearance and logic of the details are also important, in my opinion. But maybe it's mistake to add the recuperation function to the residential modules.
Now I think that a good idea will be to make residential modules mk1 and mk2 giving good Crowded, because they should be comfortable living with this furniture and gadgets. 0.37 or 0.40 is a good number, in my opinion.
And from hitchhikers make analog MedBay from MKS. Not as effective (8% recuperation is VERY much!), But 4% for 2.5-3 EC sounds good. A Crowded worsen. It is a canned bank with medicines and gym, and not a residential module. Crowded = 0.5 or even 0.7 will be fine for this.

Edited by Malcolm

Question: can the health monitor be modified to show only the kerbals in the active vessel? I'm just starting a new save and it's confortable enough with 5 kerbals in my rooster, but I'll probably have more than 50 in my rooster by the mid-late game and I feel that would be unmanageable.

5 minutes ago, juanml82 said:

Question: can the health monitor be modified to show only the kerbals in the active vessel? I'm just starting a new save and it's confortable enough with 5 kerbals in my rooster, but I'll probably have more than 50 in my rooster by the mid-late game and I feel that would be unmanageable.

Seconded!