[1.8+] Kerbal Health 1.6.8 (2024-01-22)

garwel

9 hours ago, wile1411 said:

I was wondering where the message would be and found it in the stock messaging system. Awesome use of that part of the game to communicate with players!
Checked my stations again and the float HPs gone down this time to a flat 60% for a 1 star Kerbal. Guess I need to work on some interplanetary missions now to get the experience to get closer to 70%.

Thanks for the release!

I hate it when mods break things after updating. So I wanted to make sure the game wouldn't quietly become unbalanced because of the change in default values. Perhaps, it's better if the mod fixes the values automatically, but will let the player know what it had done (because there's like 1% chance that the player actually changed the values on their own).

3 hours ago, garwel said:

I hate it when mods break things after updating. So I wanted to make sure the game wouldn't quietly become unbalanced because of the change in default values. Perhaps, it's better if the mod fixes the values automatically, but will let the player know what it had done (because there's like 1% chance that the player actually changed the values on their own).

yeah - I'd be one of those 1%'ers. I have my EVA penalty set to -30 at the moment. :)

@garwel It looks like there's another issue with General.cfg, such that it still isn't excluding cupolas and cockpits. Apparently MM requires "~name" rather than "!name." I can confirm that with this modification, it does indeed work as intended.

On an unrelated note, I thought it might be neat if airlock modules had an EVA multiplier, reducing the health drain for nearby Kerbals on EVA (representing the greater convenience/practicality of EVA when an airlocks is available). I have no idea if this would be technically difficult to implement, but if it happens to be easy, I would enjoy it.

5 hours ago, Fraz86 said:

@garwel It looks like there's another issue with General.cfg, such that it still isn't excluding cupolas and cockpits. Apparently MM requires "~name" rather than "!name." I can confirm that with this modification, it does indeed work as intended.

On an unrelated note, I thought it might be neat if airlock modules had an EVA multiplier, reducing the health drain for nearby Kerbals on EVA (representing the greater convenience/practicality of EVA when an airlocks is available). I have no idea if this would be technically difficult to implement, but if it happens to be easy, I would enjoy it.

At the moment, it's not possible for parts to affect kerbals not on the same vessel. I want to add this feature eventually, but don't expect it very soon.

Will check ! vs ~ syntax, thanks.

One thing I'm noticing with this mod as I begin building space stations and preparing for my first interplanetary mission - there are really only two options for building craft. Either you build a short duration mission lasting ~30-100 days, or you build something that lasts forever. There's not really an in between.

For example, if I send out a Mk 1-2 pod with three kerbals they'll last for 15 days. Add a hitchhiker, and they now last for 67 days. Adding a second hitchhiker only bumps that to ~86 days. In fact, adding addition seating seems to have diminishing returns - a single seat adds a bit over 6 days to the mission. 4 seats adds about 5.5 days per seat.. 16 seats only adds 3.4 days per seat.

Now consider the other option. Mk 1-2, hitchhiker, and cupola. That lasts >73 days. Adding a second cupola lasts forever.

Mk1-2, hitchhiker x3 - 11.62 tons, lasts 100 days

Mk1-2, hitchhiker x1, cupola x2 - 10.22 tons, lasts forever

Mk1-2, hitchiker x3, cupola x1 - 13.42 tons, lasts forever (but leaves them super low, 23%)

Or, Mk1-2, cupola x3 - 9.52 tons, lasts forever

This issue is exacerbated when you're looking for long duration missions. It becomes clear immediately that stacking a dozen hitchiker modules (144 days) won't even allow you to complete a duna mission without a cupola and with cupolas you don't even need anything else.

In my opinion the "habitation" modules like the hitchhiker are far too weak, and the inability to stack their effects to at least some degree makes them unable to scale at all for longer missions. The effects gained from extra seating also seems to not really be worth it at all, in terms of efficiency you're better off leaving your Kerbals crammed in a pod with a lot of windows than giving them a place to live. The cupola on the other hand seems entirely TOO powerful.

If you're looking to play around in the Kerbin system, then this mod works fine.. but for anything longer than about 100 days the mod just sort of breaks down entirely.

1 hour ago, Enorats said:

One thing I'm noticing with this mod as I begin building space stations and preparing for my first interplanetary mission - there are really only two options for building craft. Either you build a short duration mission lasting ~30-100 days, or you build something that lasts forever. There's not really an in between.

For example, if I send out a Mk 1-2 pod with three kerbals they'll last for 15 days. Add a hitchhiker, and they now last for 67 days. Adding a second hitchhiker only bumps that to ~86 days. In fact, adding addition seating seems to have diminishing returns - a single seat adds a bit over 6 days to the mission. 4 seats adds about 5.5 days per seat.. 16 seats only adds 3.4 days per seat.

Now consider the other option. Mk 1-2, hitchhiker, and cupola. That lasts >73 days. Adding a second cupola lasts forever.

Mk1-2, hitchhiker x3 - 11.62 tons, lasts 100 days

Mk1-2, hitchhiker x1, cupola x2 - 10.22 tons, lasts forever

Mk1-2, hitchiker x3, cupola x1 - 13.42 tons, lasts forever (but leaves them super low, 23%)

Or, Mk1-2, cupola x3 - 9.52 tons, lasts forever

This issue is exacerbated when you're looking for long duration missions. It becomes clear immediately that stacking a dozen hitchiker modules (144 days) won't even allow you to complete a duna mission without a cupola and with cupolas you don't even need anything else.

In my opinion the "habitation" modules like the hitchhiker are far too weak, and the inability to stack their effects to at least some degree makes them unable to scale at all for longer missions. The effects gained from extra seating also seems to not really be worth it at all, in terms of efficiency you're better off leaving your Kerbals crammed in a pod with a lot of windows than giving them a place to live. The cupola on the other hand seems entirely TOO powerful.

If you're looking to play around in the Kerbin system, then this mod works fine.. but for anything longer than about 100 days the mod just sort of breaks down entirely.

It was my intention to avoid making the player spam Hitchhikers (or any other parts) to achieve a long-duration mission. I also think it is closer to how real-life missions and vessels are designed. Basically, some ships are intended for short-term stay only (anything from Vostok to Space Shuttle), from a few hours to a few weeks. And some are designed for long-term/indefinite stay: e.g. you could theoretically live at ISS for years (if we discount radiation and bone loss), the same applies to a future interplanetary spacecraft. It is not like your regular life support mod where you should take this much food to stay alive this long. Health can degrade and repair itself depending on the situation. I imitate this in the mod by adding Recuperation parts, which supposedly have various stuff to mitigate long-term health issues.

Moreover, consider that "indefinite" stay is not guaranteed even with recuperation. With Kerbal Health, you can have accidents, sickness or you may need to do a long EVA, which is an additional risk. The kerbals also collect radiation and their health is slowly, and irreversibly reduced. You need to take it all into account. Future updates will add new things to take into account like individual characteristics of your kerbals.

Of course, real human health is much more complex than anything we might ever have in KSP, but I want the mod to provide a manageable challenge with multiple ways of achieving your aim. In the next release (which, besides, you may download from a link a few posts above), Recuperation will receive crew caps. So you won't be able to simply spam 3 or 4 cupolas and forget about everything. You'll still have to manage living space and other factors. I hope it will improve the balance.

Edited by garwel

Kerbal Health 1.1 Anniversary Edition

• Added: (Almost) every crewable part now provides Living Space, which is used, instead of seats number, to calculate Crowded factor. Generally, heavier and more expensive parts tend to provide more space, but factor multipliers and Recuperation are also taken into account.
  • Added: Recuperation now has crew cap and can't go higher than the highest Recuperation value among your parts. E.g. a Cupola provides 1% Recuperation for 2 crew => 4 Cupolas give 1% Recup for 8 crew (not 4%!).
  • Added: Support patches for Atomic Age, FTmN, FTmn-New, RSCapsuledyne from Spacetux Recycled Parts (thanks @linuxgurugamer for these), BDB, and DSEV mods
  • Added: Recuperation is now shown in Health Report
  • Added: Some parts (stock as well as from mods) now provide bonuses to Loneliness and Connected factors
  • Changed: Base Crowded factor value is -3 instead of -5. It is applied automatically when the mod is updated, but you should load every crewed vessel to update cache.
  • Changed: EVA radiation exposure was lowered to 500% from 1000% (to 200% from 300% on moderate difficulty)
  • Changed: Health modules can only be enabled or disabled if they consume resources (EC). Therefore alwaysActive keyword has been deprecated.
  • Changed: All parts' values have been rebalanced
  • Fixed: Cupola and some cockpits had RadShield when they shouldn't have (thanks @Fraz86 for pointing out)
  • Significantly improved performance for vessels with a lot of crew

Download here

Edited by garwel

First, thank you for designing this mod. I am using it on my latest career playthrough and I like it and all the thought you've put into it.

Would you mind explain sickness to me? (Well, there are things like bacteria and viruses...) Specifically, you  mention that you might want to quarantine your Kerbals for several weeks before going on a long mission. What do mean by "quarantine", in respect to the game (obviously, there's no place to do so in the stock KSC). Also, presuming you have a crew of 5 Kerbals: if you "quarantine" them for a few weeks (past the incubation period) does that really have an effect on the simulation of sickness (obviously, IRL, you quarantine your astronauts in a clean room and can control [to an extent] the presence of pathogens. Since KSP doesn't really have pathogens, and it's an RNG that's deciding when your Kerbal is sick, does quarantining them actually help?)

Thanks, and sorry to be so dense. It's morning and I haven't had coffee yet. Lol

7 minutes ago, eightiesboi said:

First, thank you for designing this mod. I am using it on my latest career playthrough and I like it and all the thought you've put into it.

Would you mind explain sickness to me? (Well, there are things like bacteria and viruses...) Specifically, you  mention that you might want to quarantine your Kerbals for several weeks before going on a long mission. What do mean by "quarantine", in respect to the game (obviously, there's no place to do so in the stock KSC). Also, presuming you have a crew of 5 Kerbals: if you "quarantine" them for a few weeks (past the incubation period) does that really have an effect on the simulation of sickness (obviously, IRL, you quarantine your astronauts in a clean room and can control [to an extent] the presence of pathogens. Since KSP doesn't really have pathogens, and it's an RNG that's deciding when your Kerbal is sick, does quarantining them actually help?)

Thanks, and sorry to be so dense. It's morning and I haven't had coffee yet. Lol

Kerbals can only get sick "on their own" (i.e. without other infected kerbals nearby) at KSC, so, to quarantine, you need to keep them on a mission. You may do it, for instance, by keeping them at launch pad or in orbit, so that you can bring them home if one gets sick. Of course it only makes sense in very long and complex missions: you don't want to abort an expedition to Jool if one of your crew gets ill after you've already left Kerbin SOI, but perhaps they will survive a flyby of the Mun.

Edited by garwel

1 hour ago, garwel said:

Kerbals can only get sick "on their own" (i.e. without other infected kerbals nearby) at KSC, so, to quarantine, you need to keep them on a mission. You may do it, for instance, by keeping them at launch pad or in orbit, so that you can bring them home if one gets sick. Of course it only makes sense in very long and complex missions: you don't want to abort an expedition to Jool if one of your crew gets ill after you've already left Kerbin SOI, but perhaps they will survive a flyby of the Mun.

Got it. So, if I were to make a "clean room" on Kerbin by building a small structure at the KSC and had my Kerbals confined to it for a few weeks, and then transferred them (via SM or simply walking them over) to their vessel, that would suffice to quarantine them, yes? Or have I missed something?

Seriously, I love the thought that goes into this. It's why I use life support mods and why I use KCT. In fact, this works well with KCT, in that I can quarantine my Kerbals while the rocket rolls out to the pad.

1 hour ago, eightiesboi said:

Got it. So, if I were to make a "clean room" on Kerbin by building a small structure at the KSC and had my Kerbals confined to it for a few weeks, and then transferred them (via SM or simply walking them over) to their vessel, that would suffice to quarantine them, yes? Or have I missed something?

Seriously, I love the thought that goes into this. It's why I use life support mods and why I use KCT. In fact, this works well with KCT, in that I can quarantine my Kerbals while the rocket rolls out to the pad.

Yep, it should work. Again, since it's all governed by the rand(), there is never 100% guarantee that the kerbal is free from disease. In my current playthrough, for instance, my pilot has been ill for so long that I had to double check the algorithms.

36 minutes ago, garwel said:

Yep, it should work. Again, since it's all governed by the rand(), there is never 100% guarantee that the kerbal is free from disease. In my current playthrough, for instance, my pilot has been ill for so long that I had to double check the algorithms.

Good! That makes it more likely that a med center is in this mod's future! :lol: I *did* just notice the link to the wiki, and I am sorry I didn't see it sooner as it answered my questions pretty well, although to be honest, I probably still would have asked.

Two more questions: first, is there a way I can make the scientist as good at curing disease as the medic? I don't use MKS, so I didn't even get the reference until I did a bit of searching.

Second, where can I send you a coffee / beer / beverage of your choice? I am very grateful to mod authors like yourself that share the benefits of your labors with the rest of us, which makes the game so much more interesting. :)

On 1/20/2018 at 11:25 PM, eightiesboi said:

Two more questions: first, is there a way I can make the scientist as good at curing disease as the medic? I don't use MKS, so I didn't even get the reference until I did a bit of searching.

Second, where can I send you a coffee / beer / beverage of your choice? I am very grateful to mod authors like yourself that share the benefits of your labors with the rest of us, which makes the game so much more interesting. :)

Nope, Medic is a different kerbal profession (or trait), they specialize in, guess what, medicine instead of general science, so I decided to reward them for that. It's not a big deal in 99% missions unless you make sicknesses very common in the settings (they are quite rare by default).

As to the tips or something, thanks, I'm surprised and flattered. I have a day job and do mods mostly for my personal leisure, but of course it's very nice to see other people value my work (including with their donations). I just launched a Patreon page, so feel free to send your Fund there: https://www.patreon.com/garwel

Ok so I will probably be cross posting this but figured i would start here and see if anyone else had a similar problem.  Please note again that I am NOT saying this is the fault of this MOD but it is specifically mentioned in the LOG file as something that is causing a problem.  

Here is the problem in short.  Have been playing a career and have had no problems that I'm aware of until today.  I landed my Mun lander safely back on Kerbin and got all my stuff and went into the mission control to select some new contracts.  I selected a rescue mission and a few others and then clicked to exit and i could not exit the building at all.  I tried everything but could get out.  I hit escape and reloaded the most recent save and everything was fine again.  I went into all the different KSC bldgs and thought it was a stupid glitch.  I went back into the mission control room and selected the missions again and same results.  i could not exit again.  I shutdown the game and computer and tried it again and same results.  I then decided to try different missions and found that any rescue missions produce the same results.

I did a search online and found that this seemed to be a big problem back in the early KSP days but nothing since about .90  I checked everything and found that the problem was not the same.  All the roster of kerbals were listed i checked every name possible so it should not be that issue.

I then looked at my game log and found this line (listed below) repeated over and over 

[LOG 18:53:28.826] [KerbalHealth] Wehrman Kerman is Missing and was not found in any of the 5 vessels!
[EXC 18:53:28.827] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    KerbalHealth.KerbalHealthStatus.GetCosmicRadiation ()
    KerbalHealth.KerbalHealthStatus.Update (Double interval)
    KerbalHealth.KerbalHealthList.Update (Double interval)
    KerbalHealth.KerbalHealthScenario.UpdateKerbals (Boolean forced)
    KerbalHealth.KerbalHealthScenario.FixedUpdate ()
[LOG 18:53:28.842] [KerbalHealth] Wehrman Kerman is Missing and was not found in any of the 5 vessels!
[EXC 18:53:28.843] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[LOG 18:53:28.867] [KerbalHealth] Wehrman Kerman is Missing and was not found in any of the 5 vessels!
[EXC 18:53:28.868] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

This goes on for several pages i think.  So i did a little digging again into my game save files and found that it does not mention the Wehrman Kerman at all in the health part.  I have listed the whole section below from my save file.

SCENARIO
    {
        name = KerbalHealthScenario
        scene = 5, 8, 7
        nextEventTime = 426248.15353228705
        version = 1.1.0.0
        KerbalHealthStatus
        {
            name = Jebediah Kerman
            health = 119.99999996179376
            dose = 0.031838535447947423
            exposure = 0.99932943479545711
        }
        KerbalHealthStatus
        {
            name = Bill Kerman
            health = 120
            dose = 0
            exposure = 0
        }
        KerbalHealthStatus
        {
            name = Bob Kerman
            health = 120
            dose = 0
            exposure = 0
        }
        KerbalHealthStatus
        {
            name = Valentina Kerman
            health = 120
            dose = 0
            exposure = 0
        }
        KerbalHealthStatus
        {
            name = WILLIAM STAPLEFORD Kerman
            health = 51.248223289416593
            dose = 14201.448734250604
            exposure = 0.12255570717520246
        }
        KerbalHealthStatus
        {
            name = SCOUTER McSCOUTER Kerman
            health = 77.169923177844652
            dose = 6664.1945651117549
            exposure = 0.12255570717520246
        }
    }
    SCENARIO
    {
        name = DiscoverableObjects
        scene = 7, 8, 5

I'm not sure if this is where the information is written into or not.  Does not seem to be anyone that is having this issue other then me.  My next step will be to uninstall the KSP health mod and see if the problem goes away.  I'm hoping that I will not have to start all over again in a new career and I can repair the SAVE file.  

Thanks and hopefully someone can help me fix this.

Bill

OK 

quick update:  I decided to us ckan and uninstall the kerbalhealth mod.  I restarted the game and loaded my save game.  I was able to click on all the bldgs.  So i took my trip to my famous mission control bldg and accepted a contract to rescue my friend that is lost in space.  Expecting to crash the game or lock it up at least.  To my shock it made it out of the mission control building.  I then went to each of the other building and also did a save game.  Everything worked!!! So it must be this mod that is causing a problem.

I'm going to install it again with ckan and see what happens.  Hopefully it got corrupted somehow and i can have the health part of my career back again.  It adds a lot to the game so i really don't want to play without it.

Bill

So i went and fired up the game again.  i used ckan to load the KerbalHealth program again.  Went into the game and launched my save game and sure enough upon selecting a rescue mission i could no longer exit the mission control building.  The only way to close the game again was to ALT-F4.

I can reproduce the results by uninstalling and resinstalling multiple times.  

I want to try two more things first.

I want to try and manually enter the kerbal info into the appropriate part of the savegame file.

I also want to try and start another career and see if having kerbalhealth installed before the career will fix the problem.

Anyone have any clue because i really dont want to start all over again and i dont want to give up on Kerbalhealth because i really like it.

Bill

log file part

------

[LOG 22:48:17.950] [KerbalHealth] Wehrman Kerman is Missing and was not found in any of the 5 vessels!
[EXC 22:48:17.950] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[LOG 22:48:17.966] [KerbalHealth] Wehrman Kerman is Missing and was not found in any of the 5 vessels!
[EXC 22:48:17.967] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[LOG 22:48:17.997] [KerbalHealth] Wehrman Kerman is Missing and was not found in any of the 5 vessels!

Not a problem I can only imagine how much of a pain it is to keep up with all the updates and Mods.  Your mod is awesome by the way and it makes the game play that much more of a challenge.

I found that i can DISABLE the mod in the settings and the problem is solved.

Also i started a new career and checked the save file as well.  I saw the same thing except my custom Kerbals that i had added in the prev. career.  It appears that health values are only written for the primary Kerbal characters unless im missing something.  

At what point does your mod pick up the new kerbals that are added via the contracts?  I have not had a chance to manually add the lines to see if that would correct the problem in the save game file from the prev. career file.

Thanks again for looking into this and keep up the great work

Bill

5 hours ago, William516 said:

Not a problem I can only imagine how much of a pain it is to keep up with all the updates and Mods.  Your mod is awesome by the way and it makes the game play that much more of a challenge.

I found that i can DISABLE the mod in the settings and the problem is solved.

Also i started a new career and checked the save file as well.  I saw the same thing except my custom Kerbals that i had added in the prev. career.  It appears that health values are only written for the primary Kerbal characters unless im missing something.  

At what point does your mod pick up the new kerbals that are added via the contracts?  I have not had a chance to manually add the lines to see if that would correct the problem in the save game file from the prev. career file.

Thanks again for looking into this and keep up the great work

Bill

The mod intercepts certain game events to register new kerbals and also checks for them regularly in the background. It may not work in all cases though, like with rescue missions (and it probably shouldn't because you don't want your kerbals to die before you had a chance to rescue them). I think I fixed the NRE in my dev version, but haven't tested it yet.