[1.8+] Kerbal Health 1.6.8 (2024-01-22)

garwel

On 7/15/2019 at 11:44 PM, Tabris said:

Done. same link as above

Thank you! I think I fixed it. Can you test the latest release? If the problem persists, could you enable Debug Mode and then send me the log?

Edited by garwel

Kerbal Health 1.3.7

• Added: Support for Dynamic Battery Storage (will work when that mod is updated)
  • Fixed: Serious issue with incorrect location of kerbals introduced in v1.3.6

Download here

This is a quick bug fix release. Please update to this version, because v1.3.6 screwed up some things rather badly.

TBH, I haven't had time to test this release yet, but I hope that it works! It is a pretty kerbal way of coding, isn't it?

Edited by garwel

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone else find their Kerbals all getting the exact same traits?  I've used KH with three different versions of KSP and always wound up with all my Kerbals with the same traits.  Three different traits, first was the iron/lead skin (the one that reduces radiation), the second I can't remember and this time all my Kerbals are getting the Loner trait.

On 7/31/2019 at 1:20 PM, Sepax said:

Is there any support for realism overhaul / rp-0?

I haven't really played with RO/RP-0, so I can't tell for sure. But I don't see why there should be any problems. If some of the values seem off, e.g. if health drains too fast or too slow, you can always adjust it in the settings. Note that there are no custom configs for RSS planets, so all of them will have the same radiation characteristics.

I've begun developing a new feature for Kerbal Health: astronaut training. It's very early in the process, so many things may change. But here is how I see it for now.

The most boring health factor called "Assigned" will be renamed "Stress" (or something like that) and it will work differently. It will drain different amount of health points per day depending on how well-trained the kerbal is for the current vessel. If your kerbal is completely untrained, they will lose the most health (e.g. 1 HP per day) to stress. The maximum level of training will depend on the upgrade level of the Astronaut Facility. For level 1, you can only reduce the stress factor by 25% (i.e. to 0.75 HP per day), for level 2 to 50%, and with the completely upgraded facility to 75%.

You can train an astronaut in two ways:
  • When designing the craft in the Editor, you can designate kerbals to train for the particular vessel. It will take some time, perhaps something like 30 days, for them to get to the maximum training level. Then you can put them in and launch the rocket. This is the preferred way.
  • If you haven't trained your astronauts in advance, which may be the case when the vessel is already in orbit, they will have to learn by doing. So as long as the kerbal is inside the vessel and hasn't reached maximum training level, he or she will gradually become more familiar with it and get less stressed-out. It may take some time however and you want to make sure the kerbals won't break down before they master their surroundings.
This feature, like most others, is optional and you'll be able to disable or fine-tune it in the Difficulty Settings to your liking.

Tell me what you think about it.
Edited by garwel

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I recently installed this mod through Ckan because I thought it sounded pretty interesting, but I have had some difficulty with the learning curve behind it and I have found that it is somewhat difficult to know how to plan the missions. Would it be possible to get an interface in game that would allow you to adjust some of the features in the game like general severity of radiation damage or habitation factors, etc?

I am also confused as to what changes I need to make to prevent conflicts with remote tech and USI-LS, would it be possible to have clearer instructions?

16 hours ago, Provisional Name 12 said:

Hi, I recently installed this mod through Ckan because I thought it sounded pretty interesting, but I have had some difficulty with the learning curve behind it and I have found that it is somewhat difficult to know how to plan the missions. Would it be possible to get an interface in game that would allow you to adjust some of the features in the game like general severity of radiation damage or habitation factors, etc?

It's already there. You can adjust pretty much everything in Kerbal Health via difficulty settings, available in-game if you press Esc. Just open a Kerbal Health tab. You can disable radiation completely or lower its effects for example.

16 hours ago, Provisional Name 12 said:

I am also confused as to what changes I need to make to prevent conflicts with remote tech and USI-LS, would it be possible to have clearer instructions?

The only thing I recommend you do for USI-LS is disable their Habitation mechanics. IIRC, you need to open their settings by clicking a button in the KSC screen. Then just disable all effects of habitation and you'll be good to go.

On 8/20/2019 at 3:15 PM, The-Doctor said:

Does stock rotating parts enable gravity to be simulated in this mod to reduce the effects of micro g?

No. As long as rotation doesn't change the vessel's velocity (i.e. its center of mass), it doesn't create g-acceleration according to game rules.

Hi, I recently discovered this mod, and its awesome.

Would you consider adding support for the mod "Deep Space Exploration Vessels" (https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/122162-17x-deep-space-exploration-vessels-build-nasa-inspired-ships-in-ksp/)?

It adds quite a few fusion-based engines that do not get the Kerbal Health "radiation" module applied, making the game very easy in lategame

8 hours ago, Athur Dent said:

Would you consider adding support for the mod "Deep Space Exploration Vessels" (https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/122162-17x-deep-space-exploration-vessels-build-nasa-inspired-ships-in-ksp/)?

It adds quite a few fusion-based engines that do not get the Kerbal Health "radiation" module applied, making the game very easy in lategame

Yep, looks like I forgot to include support for DSEV's engines in the patch. Will have it in the next release.

Let me ask this..

HI btw... and thank you for the mod..

Wondering.. just how one would go about getting a kerbal to Duna with Kerbal Health..  Providing that they left within the proper launch window, etc.  In stock, would kerbals be able to make such a trek and get back?

For long-duration missions, you need to do several things when designing the vessel:

• reduce main negative health factors (confinement by adding more living space, loneliness by ensuring the kerbal has a company, microgravity by adding centrifuges if you use appropriate mods) and improve positive factors (connection, by adding a science lab or other parts that affect that)
  • add parts that provide recuperation bonus (e.g. stock cupola); this is the only way to stabilize your kerbals' health for unlimited periods of time (accidents and radiation notwithstanding)
  • make sure your kerbals are experienced (and hence healthy) enough and their health will stabilize at satisfactory levels
  • provide appropriate radiation shielding by adding it to manned parts and/or adding heatshields, structural panels etc.

In default settings, you don't need a medibay or other special parts. But if you can afford to add it, you'll be safer.

Yes, it will make the vessel much bigger and more complex than just "include a mk1-3 pod and forget about it", so you'll need to use your engineering skills. But that's the whole point of the game, isn't it? And real-life interplanetary vessels are also going to be anything but small.

I'm using this mod with Stockalike Station Parts and finding that the space rating and effects on confinement too low

Using an Mk1-3 pod with 3 Kerbals
ONLY Confinement selected for Factors
I attached the following modules:

Module Space Hp lost per day Mass Cost
stock Hitchhiker Storage Container
(4 crew)
4.6 2 2.5t 4000
PXL-2 'Shelter' (6 crew) 3.6 2.5 3.8t 6000
PXL-1 'Hostel' (12 crew) 4.2 2.1 7.5t 12000
PFD-A 'Dirigible' (18 crew) 4.8 1.9 9.8t 20700

I edited the MM patch file and tripled the Space rating for SSPX parts which yielded better results for those but made some of its smaller modules OP
Does anyone have a MM patch file that makes more sense?

Thanks

Feel free to change the configs as you like, but your numbers here look wrong. It seems you also disabled the modules' multipliers, which are in fact the key features of these parts. Each of them reduces Confinement 2.5 times (i.e. to 40%) by providing some shared facilities and entertainment instead of living space.

So in your examples actual Confinement HP cost per day (with 3 kerbals) will be:

• Mk1-3 pod + Hitchhiker: 0.78
  • Mk1-3 pod + PXL-2: 0.67
  • Mk1-3 pod + PXL-1: 0.46
  • Mk1-3 pod + PFD-A: 0.35
Edited by garwel

2 hours ago, garwel said:

Feel free to change the configs as you like, but your numbers here look wrong. It seems you also disabled the modules' multipliers, which are in fact the key features of these parts. Each of them reduces Confinement 2.5 times (i.e. to 40%) by providing some shared facilities and entertainment instead of living space.

So in your examples actual Confinement HP cost per day (with 3 kerbals) will be:

• Mk1-3 pod + Hitchhiker: 0.78
  • Mk1-3 pod + PXL-2: 0.67
  • Mk1-3 pod + PXL-1: 0.46
  • Mk1-3 pod + PFD-A: 0.35

Thanks for the quick reply! I love this mod, btw

Yes, you are right, I had "Health Modules" unchecked
I get your same numbers for the SSPX parts if I have "Connected" checked, but with it unchecked I get a higher HP loss
I get your number for the Hitchhiker if I have "Connected" unchecked, but with it checked I get -3 HP

• 3 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Athur Dent said:

In addition to my last feature request, would you also consider adding support for WildBlueIndustries "Pathfinder"? Or is dealing with the re-configurable parts beyond the scope you intended?

Indeed, it's difficult to impossible to change parts that can be reconfigured in-flight. I have the same problem with MKS. So I include some generic configuration for these parts. I guess it shouldn't be hard to do it for Pathfinder.

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, theonegalen said:

@garwel My only concern with the Stress module you're working on is whether it will work nicely with the Stress module @Angel-125 is working on for Snacks!, since I use the two mods together.

Well, judging by the description of it in the Snacks' thread, this feature is more like the Confinement system in Kerbal Health. I don't think they'll conflict (i.e. intervene in one another's work), but it may be confusing to use both at the same time. So I'd suggest that you disable one or the other (in Kerbal Health, you can just set the effect of Confinement to zero).

9 hours ago, garwel said:

Well, judging by the description of it in the Snacks' thread, this feature is more like the Confinement system in Kerbal Health. I don't think they'll conflict (i.e. intervene in one another's work), but it may be confusing to use both at the same time. So I'd suggest that you disable one or the other (in Kerbal Health, you can just set the effect of Confinement to zero).

@theonegalen I would suggest not using any of the Snacks addons (Stress, Air, etc) If you have Kerbal Health installed. KH handles equivalent concepts and more; the radiation system in KH is quite nice (unless you’re a kerbal) for instance, and not something that Snacks will have. If you’re looking for an all-in-one solution, maybe go the other way and define some life support resources and events for Kerbal Health. :)