[1.8+] Kerbal Health 1.6.8 (2024-01-22)

garwel

22 minutes ago, garwel said:

It makes sense. Apparently, when you remove INTERNAL node, seats data is deleted too. And Kerbal Health uses it to determine whether the kerbal is on EVA or not.

Ah, I see. That explains the problem.

So in that context, if I use a part pack which has crew part without internals, the problem will show up again?

Must check IVA before installing parts pack for now.

Thanks!

Well, you can test it and see. If this problem arises with any part that just doesn't have IVA, I'll have to address it. But I haven't yet encountered anything like this yet in 2+ years playing with Kerbal Heath and lots of other mods, neither did other users, so hopefully it's just that patch that you used.

• 3 weeks later...

The save that I am currently playing is using the UnKerballed Tech Tree and I am curious .. outside of the pods, heat shields, are there any other stock parts that help with rad shielding?

I am asking this, as I have a seti contract to stay in orbit for 12 days.. and the max that I get with the default setting and the max rad shielding is only 10 days.. until the kerbal, well.. you know..

Any suggestions on settings or parts would be great... thank you very much for this mod.

8 hours ago, gamerscircle said:

The save that I am currently playing is using the UnKerballed Tech Tree and I am curious .. outside of the pods, heat shields, are there any other stock parts that help with rad shielding?

I am asking this, as I have a seti contract to stay in orbit for 12 days.. and the max that I get with the default setting and the max rad shielding is only 10 days.. until the kerbal, well.. you know..

Any suggestions on settings or parts would be great... thank you very much for this mod.

Radiation only becomes an issue (on default settings), when your kerbals remain in orbit for years. So you can do well for 12 days without any shielding at all.

What you should worry about is health factors that directly drain health, most importantly confinement. Fortunately, you can reduce it significantly simply by increasing living space. Use more spacious pods or add more of them.

4 hours ago, garwel said:

Radiation only becomes an issue (on default settings), when your kerbals remain in orbit for years. So you can do well for 12 days without any shielding at all.

What you should worry about is health factors that directly drain health, most importantly confinement. Fortunately, you can reduce it significantly simply by increasing living space. Use more spacious pods or add more of them.

I will double check [during my next stream], but I think it was exposure ... which I took as radiation ..  thank you for the reply .. 

@garwel congrats on keeping up with this mod, its EXCELLENT and much needed. The only one doing something similar is kerbalism, which is not everyone's cup of tea, and besides I like your approach better.

Look, about comforts and health modules... what parts contain them? I am aware of the hitchhiker and "station parts redux", but what other parts mod would have kerbal health modules?

17 hours ago, Daniel Prates said:

@garwel congrats on keeping up with this mod, its EXCELLENT and much needed. The only one doing something similar is kerbalism, which is not everyone's cup of tea, and besides I like your approach better.

Look, about comforts and health modules... what parts contain them? I am aware of the hitchhiker and "station parts redux", but what other parts mod would have kerbal health modules?

It's a lot of parts from different mods. Usually, it's the bigger parts that don't have any other functions beyond housing kerbals (i.e. not command pods, labs etc.). Make sure the mod you are using is listed as supported (see OP) and look for a Comforts Module or something like that in the part's tooltip.

18 hours ago, gamerscircle said:

I will double check [during my next stream], but I think it was exposure ... which I took as radiation ..  thank you for the reply .. 

Exposure is the percentage of radiation that reaches your kerbals in the vessel. 100% is base level (no shielding at all) and the more shielding you add, the lower it gets, but it can never be completely prevented. So, no matter how hard you try, the kerbals on missions will always get some amount of radiation. Small doses are not dangerous though. You only need to start worrying when you send kerbals on a very long mission where they can accumulate millions of units of radiation.

On 2/1/2019 at 4:10 AM, garwel said:

DeepFreeze support at the moment is limited to keeping track of kerbals while they are frozen (because, behind the scenes, DF marks them "dead", so the mod needs to remember they are just very, very cold). They are immune to any random events such as illnesses or accidents and neither gain nor lose health, but they still accumulate radiation like they would in real life.

@RocketSquid This is the last I've seen about it here and it's listed in the Supported Mods section. @garwel also has it listed as an 'issue' on the GitHub page for better integration.

2 minutes ago, Jake_IV said:

@RocketSquid This is the last I've seen about it here and it's listed in the Supported Mods section. @garwel also has it listed as an 'issue' on the GitHub page for better integration.

Okay, honestly that seems like an ideal implementation. If that is the case, the main change I’d want is adding more radiation shielding to the deepfreeze parts, and I can do that myself with a modulemanager patch.

Also, I’ve made a small mod that helps bridge Kerbal Health and the WBI mods. If anyone here wants to help me test, that would be nice.

On 5/7/2019 at 3:14 PM, garwel said:

Is there an easy way to reset to default setting in the mod?

On 5/7/2019 at 3:14 PM, garwel said:

Again ..thanks for the help and explanation.. it was what you said it was... confinement  Early space missions are lonely

On 5/9/2019 at 2:37 PM, FreeThinker said:

Exactly what does the patch do?

Also could you tell me if Kerbal Health and Kerbalism can played at the same time?

The patch adds radioactive emission to relevant reactors and engines and radiation shielding to the heatshield. It also allows the magnetometer and magnetic scoop to measure planet's magnetosphere (in mod's terms, how much radiation it lets through) and space radiation, respectively.

I've never played Kerbalism myself and I understand it changes a lot of game mechanics under the hood, so I'm not sure how they get along.

On 5/9/2019 at 3:15 PM, gamerscircle said:

Is there an easy way to reset to default setting in the mod?

Try opening the settings and changing the difficulty level (e.g. from Hard to Medium and back to Hard). However, it will probably reset lots of other settings as well, so be careful.

I recently started a new career using Kerbal Health as the only life support mod, and I'm enjoying the experience so far.

The biggest problem I have with the base game is how delta-V reigns supreme in any crewed mission, even for long term ones where life support should really start to take center stage. Resource based life support mods like Snacks don't really change the experience much, as all you're doing is adding extra weight to the vessel: it is still ultimately all about delta-V. With this mod though, I can see how ship design has the potential to become the primary focus on year long missions, and I can't wait to build my first space station in orbit of Kerbin to take a couple of my kerbals to interplanetary space in comfort.

However, I seem to have run into a bit of an odd issue with radiation in LKO during my first rendezvous, which has me concerned going forward. I began by first sending Jebediah into orbit, where he performed a few EVAs to gather science from all the different equatorial biomes. Radiation was sitting at about 1.2K at this stage, and everything seemed fine (https://www.twitch.tv/videos/424285906?t=40m32s). I then launched Valentina into orbit to meet up with him. Just before the rendezvous burn, radiation was still nominal, with Jebediah's lifetime dose now approaching 1.3K (https://www.twitch.tv/videos/424285906?t=01h05m19s) as you'd expect after a couple of orbits.

After the final approach, though, I realized Jeb's radiation was now up to 102K! (https://www.twitch.tv/videos/424285906?t=01h17m15s). I thought it may have been due to an artificial source, since I burned quite close and in the direction of Jebediah's pod. I'm using a non-stock engine here (from Restock+) so it was conceivable that it have compatibility issues. After testing a replica of the craft, that doesn't seem to be the case (https://www.twitch.tv/videos/424320646?t=04m51s). Do you have any ideas on what might've caused the sudden increase? I'm playing on the hard preset with a bunch of other mods (https://imgur.com/Oe9j2kW).

Regardless, this is a great mod, and really adds to the enjoyment of the game. I've reverted to a previous save and will keep a closer eye on radiation going forward. If I learn anything on how to reproduce this issue, I'll add a bug report over at GitHub. Thank you.

Edited by woodbyte

@woodbyte This is strange. Do you play with stock day duration (6 hours) or do any of your mods affect time/warp? If you can reproduce it with debug mode on (set in the general Kerbal Health settings) and share the KSP.log with me, it would help find the issue.

Yes, stock day duration.

I think the only mod I use which could be said to affect time/warp would be Persistent Rotation. Well, that and KAC, but I haven't even added any alarms yet. Is there any downside to playing with debug on, besides a few more disk writes? I've already performed the rendezvous again this time paying close attention to the health monitor, and there were no issues at all. It didn't go exactly as before, since the first one was kinda sub-optimal and I ended up skimming the atmosphere briefly just before the final approach. Could be that makes a difference, or it could be something else entirely.

I suspect this will be a hard one to nail down, but if it happens again I'll share the logs.

Edited by woodbyte

I use Persistent Rotation and KAC myself and there have been no issues. Debug Mode can negatively affect performance (less so if you have SSD), but otherwise there is no difference.

Hello, could you help me install this mod. My roommates and I are having some trouble, we've downloaded mods that only required us to unzip data into /gamedata folders before but we haven't found an explanation on how to install this one. Any help would be appreciated, your mod looks fantastic!

12 minutes ago, DunaDiesel said:

Hello, could you help me install this mod. My roommates and I are having some trouble, we've downloaded mods that only required us to unzip data into /gamedata folders before but we haven't found an explanation on how to install this one. Any help would be appreciated, your mod looks fantastic!

[Tutorial] How to install mods (manually & CKAN) - Tutorials - Kerbal Space Program Forums

Try this. 

12 hours ago, DunaDiesel said:

Well, you don't need any special "installation" beside unzipping the mod files into the correct folder (/GameData/KerbalHealth in this case). When you load the game, it will activate automatically, but make sure to check the in-game difficulty settings. Also, remember that Kerbal Health also needs Module Manager in order to function properly (the link is in the opening post).

@garwel

I took a look at your patches and notice you are targeting parts based on their literral name only. I suggest you add asterix at the end of the name, making them compatible with future versions of the same part. For example

@PART[KspiGascoreEngine]:NEEDS[WarpPlugin]

@PART[KspiGascoreEngine*]:NEEDS[WarpPlugin]

would apply its modification to both KspiGascoreEngine, KspiGascoreEngine2 and KspiGascoreEngine3. This would reduce the number of patches needed and make them more future proof.

Edit: I made a pull request with the suggested changes

Edited by FreeThinker