[1.8+] Kerbal Health 1.6.8 (2024-01-22)

garwel

9 hours ago, f0restperson said:

Thanks for this amazing mod. I don't play without it. 

A question about bases: How can I train my kerbals for a surface base? I have my crew training on a replica base on Kerbin, while the base is constructed by robots on the Moon. Will my crew benefit from training when they arrive? Or will the base count as an unfamiliar ship? 

Also, my crew is familiar with each of the habitable components of the base, yet when a test crew arrived, they experience high stress as though they were not trained/familiar? How does the mod work in this instance? 

Thanks again!

I'm glad you are enjoying the mod.

Kerbals are trained for specific parts, not just part types (otherwise you could just train them once for every part type and call it a day). Unfortunately, it means that if you've already launched a vessel/base, you can't train at the KSC for it, unless you've saved that vessel/base before launching. In the latter case you can load it and train the kerbals (let me know if it doesn't work). If you are building them in-situ with a mod, I can't really predict how it will work.

The slightly good news is that kerbals also train during missions, simply by using the vessel. However, they'll experience high levels of stress before they finish their training, and you should prepare for it. They will train twice as fast if they are already familiar with the part type. You can adjust the time they train in the settings.

• 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, QuakeIV said:

Does this run okay on 1.9?  I would test myself but its not installed for me right now, trying to put a mod pack together for coworker.

I haven't played 1.9 yet myself, but there shouldn't be any issues. Let me know if you find any.

Have some questions (bug report?) on the training feature.

As I understand correctly that the kerbals need to be trained to both crewed modules and to a whole ship too.

How is the training time calculated?

Build a ship_a with 1 x module_a, ship_b with 2 x module_a and ship_c with 5 x module_a. I want to train my kerbal to all ships.

What I observed (might be totally wrong) is that the training time for s ship seems to me something like:

Ttrain = Tship + Ti * Ni

• Tship is a constant 20 days (?),
  • Ti and Ni are the time (complexity related?) and number of a given module on the ship,
  • i represents all, formerly untrained modules.

So, the overall training time for all 3 ships is different depending on which ship I train to first:

Ttotal = (Tship + Ti * 1) + (Tship + Ti * 0) + (Tship + Ti * 0)

Ttotal = (Tship + Ti * 2) + (Tship + Ti * 0) + (Tship + Ti * 0)

Ttotal = (Tship + Ti * 5) + (Tship + Ti * 0) + (Tship + Ti * 0)

Why is this?

There is no separate ship training time. Kerbals train for each specific part, their complexities are added up. Basic training time is 20 days for a vessel of complexity 1. If you have two such parts, training will take 40 days and so on. If your kerbal has not yet completed a training for this part type at least once, its complexity is doubled (this will become tweakable in the next release).

Note that if you have started training for a specific part and then edited the ship, but left the part intact, it will be considered the same (because its persistent id won't be changed) and you won't have to train for it from the beginning. It is done so that your kerbals can train for already launched space stations, for instance, if you've saved the vessel in the editor.

On 5/15/2020 at 12:32 PM, QuakeIV said:

Does this run okay on 1.9?  I would test myself but its not installed for me right now, trying to put a mod pack together for coworker.

I've run Kerbal Health on 1.9.1 with no issues. Most 1.8.x releases will run just fine on 1.9.x since 1.8 was the major Unity version change and other major updates to the underlying coding infrastructure.

As many have said, thank you for this amazing mod. It's a definite Must Have for my playthroughs because Health + life support + construction time makes you really think through the design challenges for crewed missions, and creates wonderful emergent gameplay when stuff goes off the rails.

I'd like to suggest a consideration for you to take a look at Nertea's upcoming heat management mod. Seems like this has awesome potential for health+heat management, so that Kerbals dont overheat or freeze. If your two mods could integrate together, it will add another layer of depth to the design challenges for habitation, and actually give real purpose to radiators.

16 hours ago, OldMold said:

I'd like to suggest a consideration for you to take a look at Nertea's upcoming heat management mod. Seems like this has awesome potential for health+heat management, so that Kerbals dont overheat or freeze. If your two mods could integrate together, it will add another layer of depth to the design challenges for habitation, and actually give real purpose to radiators.

Thanks for pointing it out, I'll see how that mod can interact with Kerbal Health as soon as it is released.

hey i was wondering if you did this on purpose... if you have a ksp version past 1.8.1, ckan wont update kerbal health past 1.3.8 because kh 1.3.8 is listed as compatible with ksp 1.8 and later, whereas  kh 1.4.x is listed as compatible with ksp 1.8 to 1.8.1. sorry that was an ugly sentence. does that have to do with the new features? anyways what i really want to know is if ive been using the old version successfully should i go ahead and try the new one? or is there an actual known reason not to?

18 minutes ago, KerbalSofaProgram said:

hey i was wondering if you did this on purpose... if you have a ksp version past 1.8.1, ckan wont update kerbal health past 1.3.8 because kh 1.3.8 is listed as compatible with ksp 1.8 and later, whereas  kh 1.4.x is listed as compatible with ksp 1.8 to 1.8.1. sorry that was an ugly sentence. does that have to do with the new features? anyways what i really want to know is if ive been using the old version successfully should i go ahead and try the new one? or is there an actual known reason not to?

No, it was just me messing up with CKAN. Use the latest version of Kerbal Health for KSP 1.8.* and 1.9.*.

Kerbal Health 1.4.3

• Added: Option to reset settings to their default values
  • Added: Third party mods can now change default settings (see wiki)
  • Added: Setting for bonus provided to training speed by part familiarity (default is 50%)
  • Added: Initial compatibility with Kerbalism. See readme for details
  • Added: Notification when about to launch kerbals who are not trained for the current vessel
  • Changed: Rebalanced radiation emission by all parts (mostly increased)
  • Changed: SSPX 3.75 m lab now affects up to 6 kerbals
  • Fixed: Radiation Shielding is not drainable by KSP 1.9's drain valve
  • Fixed: Sick Bay module title is now displayed correctly
  • Fixed: Trained and Health Modules check boxes now retain their state when closing and opening Health Report
  • Code style and refactoring pass
  • Many localization fixes (English only)

Download here

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, billybob579 said:

Does tweakscale have any bearing on the amount of artificial radiation a part generates? Trying to figure out if it's safer to use one large engine versus an array of smaller ones.

Nope. There's no ScaleExponent for ModuleKerbalHealth . At least yet, this can be worked out on TweakScale Companion Program thread. But I will need some serious help on the development, as I don't know Kerbal Health well enough to write something that will work at first try.

@Lisias is right. I'm barely familiar with TweakScale, so I haven't implemented it.

Artificial radiation and shielding are quite simple, actually. The former is governed by one property of ModuleKerbalHealth: radioactivity. The formula that I use to determine this value will change in the next release, and it is quite complex. But for the purposes of TweakScale, what matters is that it is proportional to square root of maxThrust (for engines) and of EC output (for generators).

Radiation shielding is provided either by ModuleKerbalHealth directly, defined in shielding value, or by various resources present on the vessel, such as RadiationShielding (the idea is that the former is built-in shielding and the latter is the shielding you can add for better protection). Basically, it's just the amount of shielding material. It is usually proportional to crewCapacity or part's mass.

15 minutes ago, garwel said:

@Lisias is right. I'm barely familiar with TweakScale, so I haven't implemented it.

Artificial radiation and shielding are quite simple, actually. The former is governed by one property of ModuleKerbalHealth: radioactivity. The formula that I use to determine this value will change in the next release, and it is quite complex. But for the purposes of TweakScale, what matters is that it is proportional to square root of maxThrust (for engines) and of EC output (for generators).

Radiation shielding is provided either by ModuleKerbalHealth directly, defined in shielding value, or by various resources present on the vessel, such as RadiationShielding (the idea is that the former is built-in shielding and the latter is the shielding you can add for better protection). Basically, it's just the amount of shielding material. It is usually proportional to crewCapacity or part's mass.

Oh, well.. Now I'm feeling compelled to support this nice Add'On. :)

(well played, mister @billybob579, well played!!! :D )

I can't promise exactly when I will implement it (it appears to be simple enough, but I will need a bit of time to test what I did). But it will be implemented for sure. :)

https://github.com/net-lisias-ksp/TweakScaleCompanion/issues/5

Hey @garwel! First, I'd like to say how much I love this mod. Career mode wouldn't feel right without it.

I come to you with a few suggestions for features in the future of this.

First, more integration with the various resource-oriented life support mods. For instance, if you run out of snacks or supplies or any of the TACLS resources, your kerbals will quickly lose hp instead of just dying on the spot. (this would only trigger if the 'death' option is enabled for those)

Example TACLS configuration:

Spoiler

No food: -20 hp per (Kerbin) day. This is higher than with humans, but the Kerbs need their snacks.

No water: -50 hp per day. This means Jeb can survive 3 days without water. Sounds about right.

No O2: -1 hp per second. Even the most BadS kerbal can't hold their breath long enough.

No EC: a bit trickier. Might require some math to determine how long until the space stays warm enough to be livable.

Of course, those ideas are just that. Preliminary ideas.

The second one is kind of sad. I've been spending way too much time reading fan-made mission reports, and at least a few of them set far in the future mention that the original 4 are long dead. Maybe they all perished when Jeb flew a plane with them in it into the control tower when attempting to buzz it (dammit Jeb), or maybe old age. This raised the question: DO kerbals die of old age? It's sad, but it's something this mod could do and I'd like to see. Maybe the hp max decreases over time, with a sharp drop about 30 years from recruitment, with a steady decrease after. Makes generation ships worthwhile.

Third, and last, is a way for your kerbals at KSC to socially distance. Yes, really.

As you should know, KH adds infectious diseases to the game. I've always erred on the side of caution, so I put my crew in a hitchiker with wheels 2 weeks before sceduled launch and let them wait out the incubation period. So, I'd like to request a simple addition to the GUI from the KSC that allows you to designate kerbals to quarantine. While in this state, they can't train or decontaminate, and any hp gains are reduced by 50%. They also can't get any infectious disease (unless, of course, another kerbal in quarantine has it, in which case, the enclosed area will make infection much more likely).

EDIT: also impact damage on eva kerbals AND those inside crashing ships, perhaps integrating with Kerbal Krash System?

Another EDIT: part failiures from popular mods cause stress.

Those are my ideas. Hope you like them!

Edited by Clamp-o-Tron
I hope I don't sound pushy

<It is recommended to disable Habitat, Stress and Sick Bay in the config for Kerbalism>

Hi! First time poster, long time mod-player, and handy [generally] with modifying configs.

I just want to make sure i get this right, as i'm trying to play a career game 1.8.1 with Kerbalism and Kerbal Health, along with main JNSQ. Can someone walk me through how to adapt Kerbal Health config to work with Kerbalism, as per main guidance on first page, and listed on first line above?  Im not clear exactly how to disable the Habitat/Stress/Sickbay in this config. Can i just delete the text entirely?

e.g:

@PART[*]:HAS[MODULE[Sickbay]]:NEEDS[Kerbalism]
{
    !MODULE[Sickbay] { }
}
...do i simply remove this?

Thanks in advance!  LOVE this mod too much to let it go :)

• 3 weeks later...

Kerbal Health 1.4.4

• Compiled for KSP 1.10 (should be compatible with KSP 1.8+)
  • Fixed: Kerbalism MM patch errors
  • Fixed: Kerbalism was using incorrect amount of EC in background
  • Fixed: Missing loading of MicrogravityFactor setting from a config file
  • Fixed: Potential issues with radstorms hitting vessels in Sun's orbit incorrectly
  • Code refactoring and minor optimization

Download here

I've been encountering a glitch with this mod. Whenever I take a ship with a lander attached to it, uncouple the lander, land, and return to the ship to dock, every now and then when I enter physics range of the mothership, the Kerbals in the lander go from whatever health they were at, usually quite high, to 0%. No warning, no message about how the pilot got sick or something, just instadeath. It's really frustrating, though as of yet it hasn't caused a complete mission failure (yet...). Any known fixes? Just for the record, I wasn't able to find an output log (I'm not sure why), but it doesn't cause any crashes. I'm also playing with some mods. Most of them are visual enhancements, but mods like TAC lifesupport and Oh Scrap are there as well.

Fantastic mod, by the way.

2 hours ago, TheSurvivorGuy said:

I've been encountering a glitch with this mod. Whenever I take a ship with a lander attached to it, uncouple the lander, land, and return to the ship to dock, every now and then when I enter physics range of the mothership, the Kerbals in the lander go from whatever health they were at, usually quite high, to 0%. No warning, no message about how the pilot got sick or something, just instadeath. It's really frustrating, though as of yet it hasn't caused a complete mission failure (yet...). Any known fixes? Just for the record, I wasn't able to find an output log (I'm not sure why), but it doesn't cause any crashes. I'm also playing with some mods. Most of them are visual enhancements, but mods like TAC lifesupport and Oh Scrap are there as well.

You're ALWAYS gonna need to make a copy of you KSP.log available.  Post it to Google Drive, Dropbox or some other file server and post the link in your request.

4 hours ago, TheSurvivorGuy said:

Yes, please do provide a log (it's 100x better if you enable Debug Mode in the mod settings), otherwise I just can't fix what I can't see or reproduce.

And welcome to the forums!

Edited by garwel

• 2 weeks later...

Hello. I have been trying to use the Kerbal Health mod and am running into issues with the training. I tried following the wiki to train the kerbals before sending them on the mission. But no matter which kerbals I assign to the crew, the training in the Health Report window always uses the default kerbals that were originally assigned.

For example, If I drag a 2 man crew pod into the editor and it assigns Orfry and Munble as the crew (a pilot and engineer). Then I open the crew tab and swap out Munble and add Bartfry (a scientist). When I open the Health Report, it lists Orfry and Munble as the crew and those are the only ones I can train.

Is there something I need to do in order to train different kerbals?

This is on 1.10, in case it matters.

@garwel would it be possible to have a message appear on-screen when  a kerbal gets an illness?

Similar to what happens in 'DangIt'. There, when a part fail, time compression will come to a halt and a message will appear on-screen ("a photovoltaic panel has failed etc.")

In Kerbal Health compression will stop, but you have to go inside the mod info screen to assess if someone has fallen sick. Its a bit awkward to deal with, specially so if you are monitoring a long trip, because time compression can halt for many other reasons. I had the idea to ask you this when doing a long-term station presence. I wanted my little guys to stay there for an year. So i time compressed. Then TC stops, I check KH monitor, and ... nothing. TC halted for another unknown reason. Then again. Then again. Then again and again and again. In the 10th time or so, time compress stopped and I was ready to ignore it... out of intuition I checked the KH monitor and, voilá, a kerbal had SEPSIS. So you see, it is bad to rely solely on TC stopping to know that a disease happened. A warning would be much appreciated. 

Another question. In  DangIt you will only have fails when you are watching a loaded vessel, one of those things that happen because of how KSP works. Failures do not happen in craft being run in the background. Is it the same with KH? I will only get sick kerbals if I am following the loaded craft before my eyes?