[1.8+] Kerbal Health 1.6.8 (2024-01-22)

garwel

14 hours ago, gulegule said:

Is it still the ksp.log file you need?  Or is it some other log?

EDIT: log and screen of inflight exposure here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1avQfqR2fUUqwApLkW872ARTsai98Ztrn

Great, thank you! I think I found the problem (which was both in the Health Report and in calculations for unloaded kerbals). Can I ask you to do a quick test of this DLL to see if the problem has been fixed? Just drop it in the GameData/KerbalHealth folder overwriting the old DLL file, then launch the game and visit the crewed vessel(s) to update info.

Tried out the dll, the VAB planner looks like its giving the same exposure value it did in 1.4.6.  The in-flight bananas per day values are different, and vary per kerbal more (there's one 'lead-skinned' kerbal on that flight, but it varies even more than that would explain).  The KH window at KSC gives good values once the vessel has been loaded, but is wrong at first.

Logs and screenshots: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1PoTP91u5LNhinyoEo_31EZJD4tlUZC1E

• 4 weeks later...

Hi @garwel, I was testing this mod again before starting a new career and noticed you can't Decom a Kerbal while in Sandbox game mode. I figured it was due to there being no funds in that mode.  Not technically an issue as it was only testing, but figured I'd mentioned it 

1 hour ago, cyberKerb said:

Hi @garwel, I was testing this mod again before starting a new career and noticed you can't Decom a Kerbal while in Sandbox game mode. I figured it was due to there being no funds in that mode.  Not technically an issue as it was only testing, but figured I'd mentioned it 

Thanks for the report. It is strange, because I check for game mode. Will test it.

A couple question about training:  I name all my ships with sequential numbers (Mercury 1, Mercury 2, Mercury 3, and so on).  If I train a kerbal for "Mercury 2" and then build a new ship called "Mercury 3" that is exactly the same, will they be "trained" for "Mercury 3"?  If not, if I build a ship called "Mercury Orbiter", and train all my kerbals for it, and then rename the each ship at the launchpad (to add the correct number), will that work?

And a related question:  if I train kerbals for a specific rocket, and then modify it slightly (say, add a new science experiment), will they be considered untrained for it?

Thanks for your time!  Love your mods, they are fantastic.

On 11/24/2020 at 5:36 PM, ble210 said:

A couple question about training:  I name all my ships with sequential numbers (Mercury 1, Mercury 2, Mercury 3, and so on).  If I train a kerbal for "Mercury 2" and then build a new ship called "Mercury 3" that is exactly the same, will they be "trained" for "Mercury 3"?  If not, if I build a ship called "Mercury Orbiter", and train all my kerbals for it, and then rename the each ship at the launchpad (to add the correct number), will that work?

I think it works that training is for the part / command pod they occupy.  e.g if they are fully trained for a 'Mk1 Command Pod', and you modify the vessel to have a Mk1 Lander Can instead, when you launch they will show up as untrained as they didn't do any training in the lander can.

Edited by cyberKerb

On 11/24/2020 at 9:36 AM, ble210 said:

And a related question:  if I train kerbals for a specific rocket, and then modify it slightly (say, add a new science experiment), will they be considered untrained for it?

Thanks for your time!  Love your mods, they are fantastic.

Your kerbals train for specific parts, mostly crewed ones. The name of the vessel doesn't matter. Even when you replace a part with a similar one, its internal id changes and training is reset. But as long as the crewed parts are kept in place, you are free to add, remove or change any other parts.

20 hours ago, garwel said:

Your kerbals train for specific parts, mostly crewed ones. The name of the vessel doesn't matter. Even when you replace a part with a similar one, its internal id changes and training is reset. But as long as the crewed parts are kept in place, you are free to add, remove or change any other parts.

Oooohh that's neat!

Spoiler

nullref at the time of the enable/disable R&R (line 76767)

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Alncj27YxKc-hlJP7s85LNVnJBA3?e=S3MTjk

same nullref in the sandbox game with stock cupola:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Alncj27YxKc-hlT9aAyLn6uXQi6W?e=ohw7ZQ

@garwel
On the stock game the exception is the same. A way to reproduce:

• install Kerbal Health on stock
  • create new career game
  • Alt+F12
    • debugging/ show all errors and exception
    • cheats / maximum tech and facility
  • go to SPH
  • cupola + hitchhiker, put Jeb and Val there.
  • Launch
  • Clicking Enable/Disable R&R makes NullRefException

logs:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Alncj27YxKc-hlgYc8BUbMsv5olT?e=J3uOnO
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Alncj27YxKc-hln7yoW8q7rehE76?e=EyNecf

Edited by flart
stock

Hi, I love this mod !  

I think it strikes a fine balance between realism and simplicity; it makes things more challenging without ruining the fun.

But I'm a bit confused, I can't manage to keep kerbals alive for more than a year, even with all the SSPX parts.

This is somewhat problematic, especially since I play with JNSQ, and interplanetary trips are going to be quite long.

34 minutes ago, BarnabeLEPD said:

Hi, I love this mod !  

I think it strikes a fine balance between realism and simplicity; it makes things more challenging without ruining the fun.

But I'm a bit confused, I can't manage to keep kerbals alive for more than a year, even with all the SSPX parts.

This is somewhat problematic, especially since I play with JNSQ, and interplanetary trips are going to be quite long.

There are some balance questions regarding the SSPX parts currently - I believe a fix is pending. The only one that's likely to cause the problem you're describing is that the SSPX cupolas don't provide recuperation at the moment, so use a stock cupola instead. 

Generally, achieving very long or even indefinite habitation durations (suitable for interplanetary trips) involves combining parts to minimize the negative factors, maximize the positive ones, then add a cupola for recuperation.

• Stress: ensure that a kerbal is fully trained for all vessels they will inhabit on a mission (you can initiate training in the VAB/SPH). Max training level is capped by your Astronaut Complex level. Stress can be reduced from -2HP/day (untrained) to -0.3HP/day (best case).
  • Confinement: have some combination of plenty of living space and at least one lounge to reduce this penalty to low levels.
  • Loneliness: eliminate this by sending at least two kerbals, or by sending a single kerbal with the hidden "BadS" flag (Jeb and Val both have this, and regular kerbals have a 1/10 chance of having it.) Or mitigate it by 50% by attaching a cupola.
  • Microgravity: attach a centrifuge from SSPX or ensure that crew are landed on a body with >0.1g local gravity. This would be the hardest thing to mitigate with just stock parts.
  • EVA: avoid long EVAs - a few minutes to gather samples and plant a flag is fine, but days or more can be deadly. So use pressurized rovers instead of command chairs, for example.
  • Connected: Make sure you have a connection to CommNet (set up relays as needed). Enhance this with "broadband internet" by attaching a fast direct antenna for a small bonus.
  • Recuperation: if you've done everything else right, adding a cupola will allow HP to stabilize at some level above exhaustion.
  • Radiation: not necessarily an immediate concern like the other factors, but too much accumulation will semi-permanently reduce max HP; try to make sure habitable parts and heat shields are filled with RadShielding before launch. If that's not enough shielding, add some structural parts with additional RadShielding capacity, or use an SSPX container to ship Lead, or use a mod that lets you produce Water in-situ.

Or you can post your current vessel and we should be able to provide feedback on what's missing.

On 12/5/2020 at 10:48 PM, PocketBrotector said:

There are some balance questions regarding the SSPX parts currently - I believe a fix is pending. The only one that's likely to cause the problem you're describing is that the SSPX cupolas don't provide recuperation at the moment, so use a stock cupola instead. 

Generally, achieving very long or even indefinite habitation durations (suitable for interplanetary trips) involves combining parts to minimize the negative factors, maximize the positive ones, then add a cupola for recuperation.

• Stress: ensure that a kerbal is fully trained for all vessels they will inhabit on a mission (you can initiate training in the VAB/SPH). Max training level is capped by your Astronaut Complex level. Stress can be reduced from -2HP/day (untrained) to -0.3HP/day (best case).
  • Confinement: have some combination of plenty of living space and at least one lounge to reduce this penalty to low levels.
  • Loneliness: eliminate this by sending at least two kerbals, or by sending a single kerbal with the hidden "BadS" flag (Jeb and Val both have this, and regular kerbals have a 1/10 chance of having it.) Or mitigate it by 50% by attaching a cupola.
  • Microgravity: attach a centrifuge from SSPX or ensure that crew are landed on a body with >0.1g local gravity. This would be the hardest thing to mitigate with just stock parts.
  • EVA: avoid long EVAs - a few minutes to gather samples and plant a flag is fine, but days or more can be deadly. So use pressurized rovers instead of command chairs, for example.
  • Connected: Make sure you have a connection to CommNet (set up relays as needed). Enhance this with "broadband internet" by attaching a fast direct antenna for a small bonus.
  • Recuperation: if you've done everything else right, adding a cupola will allow HP to stabilize at some level above exhaustion.
  • Radiation: not necessarily an immediate concern like the other factors, but too much accumulation will semi-permanently reduce max HP; try to make sure habitable parts and heat shields are filled with RadShielding before launch. If that's not enough shielding, add some structural parts with additional RadShielding capacity, or use an SSPX container to ship Lead, or use a mod that lets you produce Water in-situ.

Or you can post your current vessel and we should be able to provide feedback on what's missing.

Yes, a rebalance pass is underway. If you guys are really itching to try it out, you can download the updated patches from the dev branch. But note that the testing is very far from over on that and it's not even alpha at the moment, so there can be issues.

8 hours ago, CMDR tobi said:

Hey im wondering if this is still a thing with KH, do pressurised structural pieces still not give space to kerbals? E.G. SSPER or near future structural

No, they don't. They are not supposed to be "living space", so it's WAD.

• 3 weeks later...

Happy New Year!

I've been wondering what type of material KH's RadiationShielding might represent - partly out of curiosity, but partly so that I can plan how it might be manufactured in-situ using Extraplanetary Launchpads and/or RationalResources. (Both mods have their way of producing non-transferable resources in the right place - Recipes for EpL, and Blacksmith for RR.) 

The literature that I've seen commonly cites hydrogen-rich plastics such as polyethylene as an effective shielding material. Is it reasonable to assume that RadiationShielding is polyethylene or something like it?

38 minutes ago, PocketBrotector said:

Happy New Year!

I've been wondering what type of material KH's RadiationShielding might represent - partly out of curiosity, but partly so that I can plan how it might be manufactured in-situ using Extraplanetary Launchpads and/or RationalResources. (Both mods have their way of producing non-transferable resources in the right place - Recipes for EpL, and Blacksmith for RR.) 

The literature that I've seen commonly cites hydrogen-rich plastics such as polyethylene as an effective shielding material. Is it reasonable to assume that RadiationShielding is polyethylene or something like it?

TBH, I don't remember exactly what I had in mind but it may be polyethilene or another H-rich plastic, because it's very efficient compared to other resources. E.g., 1 ton of KH Radiation Shielding provides 10 half-thicknesses (for a one-person vessel) compared to 2 for water and 5 for lead.

On 1/7/2021 at 4:40 PM, SmarterThanMe said:

Hi! Training is a fascinating idea... Does it work nicely with Kerbal Construction Time?

There is no direct cooperation between Kerbal Health and KCT, but they work fine together. Depending on your KCT preset, you may need to adjust training time to make it sensible.

• 5 weeks later...