The Titans have arrived! Stock turboshaft heavy transport helicopters!

Azimech

Wqt3KHv.png3HQb4UF.png

Probably the most advanced stock helicopters in KSP today. Reliable, easy to fly, very powerful and with a lot of control options.

One manual for all types, twenty-two pages

By the way ... they're easy to fly but ... you need the manual. Really. Or the engine won't even start.

Azi20 Selene
Azi21 Hyperion
Azi22 Eos
Azi23 Helios

If you're thinking of fuel efficiency, saving Kerbin or other green stuff ... this ain't for you. Helicopters should be like Greek gods: smelly, big, loud, powerful and drink a lot with a bad temper.

February 4th ... exactly two years after I uploaded the first turboshaft. :-)

Update:

It seems Kerbal Joint Reinforcement inhibits correct operation of turboshaft/turboprop engines. Please disable or the engine won't run fast enough for flight.

Engine angular speed at max power without KJR: 24 rad/s.

Engine angular speed at max power with KJR: 10 rad/s.

Edited by Azimech

37 minutes ago, Azimech said:

If you're thinking of fuel efficiency, saving Kerbin or other green stuff ... this ain't for you. Helicopters should be like Greek gods: smelly, big, loud, powerful and drink a lot with a bad temper.

Don't speak that way; the Kraken's good friends with them and could smite your copters from the face of the planet :wink:

*Zeus comes along*

"DID YOU JUST CALL ME SMELLY?!?!"

*Hurls lightning bolt* 

KSP helicopters can in fact be efficient for heavy lifting purposes. My standard rotor has an efficiency of converting blower thrust to rotor lift of > 200%.

Anyways, I like your Asura line! Good luck with your massive heli.

5 minutes ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

SP helicopters can in fact be efficient for heavy lifting purposes. My standard rotor has an efficiency of converting blower thrust to rotor lift of > 200%.

Does that mean what I think it means?  Does this engine use a jet engine on the main craft to blow against vanes to turn the rotors (as a second craft)?  So lift is controlled by the throttle, and forward speed by pitching forward?  That would mean you never have to switch to the second craft...

These Azi designs look like they would kill my computer, but now I have to try a mini version.  I have a need for a craft to drop some beacons.

3 minutes ago, HalcyonSon said:

Does that mean what I think it means?  Does this engine use a jet engine on the main craft to blow against vanes to turn the rotors (as a second craft)?  So lift is controlled by the throttle, and forward speed by pitching forward?  That would mean you never have to switch to the second craft...

These Azi designs look like they would kill my computer, but now I have to try a mini version.  I have a need for a craft to drop some beacons.

Yep, exactly. The reason I invented the stock turboshaft engine 3 years ago.

What's the max part count your computer can reasonably handle? I can build a smaller one with lower part count.

Edit: Selene has a part count of around 215. Eos and Hyperion around 250. Uranus is near 400.

Edited by Azimech

3 minutes ago, Azimech said:

Yep, exactly. The reason I invented the stock turboshaft engine 3 years ago.

What's the max part count your computer can reasonably handle? I can build a smaller one with lower part count.

Edit: Selene has a part count of around 215. Eos and Hyperion around 250. Uranus is near 400.

I've had stations up to around 500, which is where things get really bad.  The Eos is probably closest in function to what I need, but is way prettier and higher tech level than I can access right now.   Looks like a fun challenge - I think I'll try my hand at it.

5 minutes ago, Castille7 said:

Wow :confused: those are so impressive!! planning to put in a few flight hours on those asap!! As soon as the craft files become available....

Soon ... I'm writing the manual. It won't be a book but not a single page either.

I've yet to try one of these stock turboprops - or building one myself, for that matter. These are downright amazing, @Azimech. Well done! :o

I glanced through your massive thread concerning these a few weeks back, but the forum (or my phone) was making things hard to read. Were you to recommend one of your helos for just trying out the design -tooling around KSC- which would it be? 

4 hours ago, DrunkenKerbalnaut said:

I've yet to try one of these stock turboprops - or building one myself, for that matter. These are downright amazing, @Azimech. Well done! :o

I glanced through your massive thread concerning these a few weeks back, but the forum (or my phone) was making things hard to read. Were you to recommend one of your helos for just trying out the design -tooling around KSC- which would it be? 

Try these two:

https://kerbalx.com/Azimech/77I-Azi15-Archon

https://kerbalx.com/Azimech/77I--Azi16-Abraxas-v11

If your machine can handle the part count, you might like this one:

https://kerbalx.com/Azimech/77I-Azi14-Asura-v12

These types are quite old, the new generation is superiour in terms of speed, lifting power and endurance.

Sorry to be a little off-topic, Az, but the name Selene reminds me of something that might be an apt muse for someone with your artistic vision:

http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/7/72276/1537085-pic_einhander_with_weapons.jpg

It's one of the playable hero ships from the Playstation 1 game "Einhander". 

If you think docking is easy, try hooking up an airplane with a helicopter. I couldn't do it.

OMOnb2b.png

This was supposed to be a nice demonstration of lifting power. Oh well. I did learn a lot about improving control while hovering.

Something else: a problem with stock helicopters is fuel consumption. So I made a hybrid helicopter/airplane. It's not fast but has excellent range. Take off and land how you like, normal airplane, helicopter or STOL. Switching between those can be tricky though, it needs a good pilot.

0hPutTI.png

And today I calculated the usable cargo space in the Hyperion. Guess what ... The cargo bay has a usable volume of 567m3. That's comparable with the main deck of a 747-400 freighter! The Mil Mi-26 Halo has a mere 151m3.

fbzbOGw.png

Talking about ridiculous, I've enlarged the Uranus (the twin rotor monster). It's as long as a 747 now. Cargo space is a whopping 1247 m3! That's more than the total capacity of a 747-400 freighter! I also made a hybrid out of it.

Furthermore I tested the engine power, seems that 1 unit is as powerful as 2.5 Goliaths. I'm happy with that. What's interesting is that with the Goliaths the ceiling is a mere 2400m. The ceiling of the Selene is 8600m. Apparently the Goliath loses most of its thrust at a lower altitude than the Juno.

2 hours ago, Majorjim! said:

I named my two Saturn V crafts 'Selene' after the Greek goddess of the moon. :)

Selene rockets

The other three are called Hyperion, Eos and Helios. Not sure about the big one ... think I'll go for Theia, that way one branch of the tree is complete.

Edit: big momma. Hehehe.

Edited by Azimech

1 minute ago, Azimech said:

The other three are called Hyperion, Eos and Helios. Not sure about the big one ... think I'll go for Theia, that way one branch of the tree is complete.

Edit: big momma. Hehehe.

Do you have a Hercules yet? :D

5 minutes ago, Castille7 said:

Do you have a Hercules yet? :D

Nope but I'm still busy with the Titans. I do have Crius and his son Pallas and I also have Athena Station.

Edit: Now I'm thinking ... should I make a helicopter variant out of Crius? This flying mouth is already hideous. I could make it worse. Besides I'm wondering what will happen if I scale up this engine.

iIGdvDr.png

Edited by Azimech

On 1/25/2017 at 5:49 AM, Azimech said:

Nope but I'm still busy with the Titans. I do have Crius and his son Pallas and I also have Athena Station.

Edit: Now I'm thinking ... should I make a helicopter variant out of Crius? This flying mouth is already hideous. I could make it worse. Besides I'm wondering what will happen if I scale up this engine.

Decision......decision! :/ 

Where did you post the Helicopter lifting the Building? I saw KSP Facebook posted it, that's cool :cool:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.