The Titans have arrived! Stock turboshaft heavy transport helicopters!

Azimech

3 hours ago, JWOC said:

@Azimech could we get a progress update on your new Helis? I'm dying to fly them! 

-JWOC 

I'm almost ready but I've hit a little snag ... the engines suddenly have a bug and I haven't found the source yet. The manual is almost ready as well ... 16 pages (ooof).

11 hours ago, Azimech said:

I'm almost ready but I've hit a little snag ... the engines suddenly have a bug and I haven't found the source yet. The manual is almost ready as well ... 16 pages (ooof).

thanks for the update Azimech that sucks to hear about the egnies. the manual is huge lol 

How much would I have to bribe you to release the hinge that you use for the rotors as a separate craft file for my personal tinkering? (all of my rotor either don't spin, or they rip themselves apart after hitting 20 m/s).

these look great btw, cant wait to try it out once I re-download 1.2.2 :).

On 1/30/2017 at 4:32 PM, nascarlaser1 said:

How much would I have to bribe you to release the hinge that you use for the rotors as a separate craft file for my personal tinkering? (all of my rotor either don't spin, or they rip themselves apart after hitting 20 m/s).

If you want a stable bearing for a helicopter, check out the "JFRB" (I think?) bearing some guy posted a while ago. He's a bit argumentative but his hinge works kinda well

On 30-1-2017 at 5:32 PM, nascarlaser1 said:

I could make the engine/rotor a separate download, yes. Would be nice if you give me the credit when you use it ;-)

Note that they're heavy, large, drink a lot and have a lot of parts. Also very powerful and reliable.

It has 50x J-20 blowers, running on 40 in economy mode. They're mounted as 20x, 20x and 10x. You can remove 10, 20 or 30 Juno's and see how much power you need. I expect it won't be possible to really build a helicopter with less than 20x.

Just now, Azimech said:

I could make the engine/rotor a separate download, yes. Would be nice if you give me the credit when you use it ;-)

Note that they're heavy, large, drink a lot and have a lot of parts. Also very powerful and reliable.

It has 50x J-20 blowers, running on 40 in economy mode. They're mounted as 20x, 20x and 10x. You can remove 10, 20 or 30 Juno's and see how much power you need. I expect it won't be possible to really build a helicopter with less than 20x.

You can leave out the rotor if you like. I want to use it to make custom wheels :). I also don't plan on putting it on any mod or anything, and I'm horrible at making any craft that is upload worthy, so you have no worries about lack of credit anywhere :P.

Just now, nascarlaser1 said:

You can leave out the rotor if you like. I want to use it to make custom wheels :). I also don't plan on putting it on any mod or anything, and I'm horrible at making any craft that is upload worthy, so you have no worries about lack of credit anywhere :P.

I'm not sure how well it would fare as a wheel bearing ... I never designed it that way.

Shouldn't take long now, nearly finished. Here's Selene showing her take off procedure.

That rotor sound? Yeah it's a Five-Minute-Mod I made, an addon for Rover Wheel Sounds. Made the sound in Audacity from some brown noise. A rover wheel is being driven by the turbine shaft.

Just now, klond said:

Alright!  Commence the downloading.  Let's see if we can get them all to the island.

That's easy, they can make it to the island and back, if you use economy mode.

And I'm interested in everyone's opinion on the manual.

The manual - I've been tabbing over to it for reference.  What would be awesome is a 1 page cheat-sheet with all quick action buttons and a short list of the meaning of some of the acronyms for reminder.  1 page is good so I can alt-tab to it.

Selene 1/2 way to island, no incidents, just working the controls.  That main bearing sure is getting a workout. 

6UnobVw.jpg

Edited by klond

17 minutes ago, klond said:

The manual - I've been tabbing over to it for reference.  What would be awesome is a 1 page cheat-sheet with all quick action buttons and a short list of the meaning of some of the acronyms for reminder.  1 page is good so I can alt-tab to it.

Selene 1/2 way to island, no incidents, just working the controls.  That main bearing sure is getting a workout. 

6UnobVw.jpg

It seems you enjoy the smoke :-P

I'll think of a cheat sheet. What speed are/were you flying at which power setting?

toggled between action group 8 and 9 every minute or two.  Can't remember, 60m/s maybe.

But RIP Selene.  An unrecoverable right roll on throttle-down cause tail to detach (collision?).  Pilot mismanagement maybe.  Quickload is not happy but we'll try again.

5 minutes ago, klond said:

toggled between action group 8 and 9 every minute or two.  Can't remember, 60m/s maybe.

But RIP Selene.  An unrecoverable right roll on throttle-down cause tail to detach (collision?).  Pilot mismanagement maybe.  Quickload is not happy but we'll try again.

Yep, that's covered in the manual ;-)

Look for "Landing using a glide path".

Also, General Flight Instruction covers some more.

Sounds like you convinced a rotor blade to behave like a katana :-)

14 minutes.  I really get a feeling of accomplishment knowing I can't time warp, can't quickload, and gotta be vigilant at controls.  Had a few failures before this success making it even sweeter.  Disregard poor landing location :)

Each chopper really has it's own personality.

ZLdOKab.jpg

Edit: Hyperion has also made it to the island.  12 minutes abouts.

Edited by klond

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.